Question about titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

principessa

Heir Apparent
City
Schweinfurt
Country
Germany
If Crown Prince Haakon would have a younger brother who is married, would Haakons sister-in-law be a Royal Highness and Princess of Norway, and would the children of his brother and sister-in-law also be Royal Highnesses and Prince/ss of Norway?

Thanks.

principessa

It is my understanding that the Norwegian Royal Family (due to their close, shared background with the British Royal Family) have also adopted similar usage in the conferring of titles (although Norway does not have a plethora of honors as their British counterparts do).

Because the wife of the heir to the throne takes on all her husband's titles, we now enjoy the successor reign of Her Royal Highness Mette-Marit, Crown Princess of Norway. Therefore, it can only be assumed that if the heir to the throne had a younger married brother, his wife would also take on her husband's titles - "Her Royal Highness (First Name), Princess of Norway.

I think all children of a King are traditionally styled HRH (unless they give that titles up as Martha Louise did) and their wives are also HRH. Historically (it's different now because I don't think Sverre is either HRH or HH), I think the CP's children have all been HH until their father ascends the throne, at which point they become HRH. So Haakon's younger brother would have been His Highness until 1991, then became His Royal Highness, and his wife would be Her Royal Highness.

I wonder why prince Nikolai and prince Felix are His Hignesses ? Will the children of princess Isabella also have the title of HH and the children of prince Christian HRH ?

I think a presumed younger brother would be styled from birth the same way Crown Prince Haakon and Princess Märha Louise; His/her Royal Highness Prince/Princess of Norway.

I don’t think his wife/husband (taking the gender neutral wedding law in effect), or any children would get any royal titles, just as Ari Behn is not a Prince and his and Princess Martha’s children hold no titles.

The King has said he wants to hold the Royal House small, and I personally would not like to have seen a difference be made between a prince and a princess.

I feel it’s enough to give titles to the direct heirs; meaning the children of a king/queen and the children of the second in line and that is what has been done in Norway.

I still feel it’s weird that Queen Sonja and later Crown Princess Mette-Marit will be Queen since they are not born royal. I don’t think the rules have changed so that an imagined future husband of Princess Ingrid Alexandra will get titles as King. I just think the titles King/Queen/Crown Prince/Crown Princess should be for the monarch and his/her heirs, or at least have the same rule apply regardless of weather or not the monarch is male/female.

I wonder if Sverre Magnus' children will get royal titles? He's HH at present or would they just get a very long surname?

Are the HRH and even princess and princess passed through male lines only like in England? If yes will this change when Ingrid becomes Queen?

Are the HRH and even princess and princess passed through male lines only like in England? If yes will this change when Ingrid becomes Queen?

It will most likely be as it has been in Denmark with Queen Margrethe and her sons, I would think. The only difference is what they decide to do with Ingrid's spouse. If they decide to take the legality of the equality law to the point where they make him Prince Ola or if he will still be Mr. Ola Nordmann:whistling:

(Ola Nordmann is the generic term for the standard Norwegian male)

Of course, she could marry a royal from abroad...

You will notice that Princess Matha Louise's children have no titles. Ingrid will one day be the monarch so it seems reasonable that her children will be titled.

It will most likely be as it has been in Denmark with Queen Margrethe and her sons, I would think. The only difference is what they decide to do with Ingrid's spouse. If they decide to take the legality of the equality law to the point where they make him Prince Ola or if he will still be Mr. Ola Nordmann:whistling:

(Ola Nordmann is the generic term for the standard Norwegian male)

Of course, she could marry a royal from abroad...
Wouldn't they follow the example of crown princess Victoria of Sweden, as she is the first crown princess in her own right?

I notice that Princess Astrid, Princess Ranghild and Prince Sverre have no style in the Norwegian language version of the Royal Family's website but they do on the English version have the style of HH. Are they accorded the style of HH only when outside of Norway? Which version is correct? Why the difference between what is used at home and abroad? It seems confusing.

I know that prince sverre Magnus is styled HH and I believe the King's sisters the princesses ragnhikd and astrid are also Styled this way.

Why the difference between what is used at home and abroad? It seems confusing.

May have something to do with him not being a member of the Royal House of Norway.

And according to wiki

Furthermore, according to the Norwegian Royal Family website, Prince Sverre Magnus does not use any title other than Prins in Norwegian, whereas the title His Highness is used in English

I wonder what name they will use for Sverre Magnus`children should he have any. Since he is not an "HH" or even "of Norway" in his homeland and they seem to really want to limit their royal family to the monarch and the heir will his children be commoners? If so they would likely need a surname which the royal family doesn't have. Any ideas on what they could use? Asker? Haakonson?

I wonder what name they will use for Sverre Magnus`children should he have any. Since he is not an "HH" or even "of Norway" in his homeland and they seem to really want to limit their royal family to the monarch and the heir will his children be commoners? If so they would likely need a surname which the royal family doesn't have. Any ideas on what they could use? Asker? Haakonson?

Where would Asker come from? I'm only asking because I haven't heard that before in regards to a surname for Sverre Magnus.

CP Haakon once mention that both he and his son share the second name of Magnus, sort of like a surname, so I think Magnusson would be most fitting for the young prince's future children should they have no title

Alternatively, Sverre Magnus may use the name of the House he belongs to - Glucksburg (or its senior branch Oldenburg) as a surname.

Where would Asker come from? I'm only asking because I haven't heard that before in regards to a surname for Sverre Magnus.

Asker is the suburb of Oslo, in Akershus county, where the Skaugam estate is located, and Akershus Castle is where the Norwegian monarchs are buried. That is why I suggested the possibility of using it as a surname since it relates to where they live and where they are buried.

I wonder why prince Nikolai and prince Felix are His Hignesses ? Will the children of princess Isabella also have the title of HH and the children of prince Christian HRH ?

In Denmark only children (and their wifes) of the King/Queen and CP are HRH. (the direct line so to speak)

Frederik & Joachim - sons of the queen - are HRH
Mary & Marie - married to HRH - are also HRH
Christian, Isabella, Vincent & Josephine - children of the CP - are HRH
Nikolai, Felix, Henrik and Baby Princess - children of a prince - are HH

I am not sure about Isabella's children. They would probably not be princes/princesses I think.
But yes. Vincent's children would probably be HH while Christian's children would be HRH.

In egalitarian Norway, he could well take his wife's last name and go from there, as it also happens that way for other males of his generation. (and the one before it.)

There is a plethora of last names they would use before they go for Asker, imo. If not going for his wife's last name, Høiby (his mother's maiden name), Haraldsen (his grandmother's last name), or even Glücksburg or Oldenburg...

Personally, I think it will be a case of where the Norwegian royal family is in terms of popularity and how society is at that point. At any rate, they would be forging new traditions in royal Norwegian history. Back when there was a younger royal son in independent Norway (ie. not united with either Denmark or Sweden) they either shared the kingship between them, or killed each other for the throne... :whistling: and at any rate, they didn't much go for last names back then either - it was "son of..."

I am not sure about Isabella's children. They would probably not be princes/princesses I think.
But yes. Vincent's children would probably be HH while Christian's children would be HRH.

Won't they also be Count/Countess of Monpezat if I understand it correctly?

Will Marius ever receive a title or not? Is it because he is HRH Prince Haakon's stepson? Could they not make him a duke or a count? Would they

Will Marius ever receive a title or not? Is it because he is HRH Prince Haakon's stepson? Could they not make him a duke or a count? Would they

He is not related to a royal in anyway, there is no logical reason he should be given one. If Haakon chooses to give him one out of sentimentality then that's far enough. However it would mean Marcus would have to perform duties for the RF, which I doubt he wants to.

He is not related to a royal in anyway, there is no logical reason he should be given one. If Haakon chooses to give him one out of sentimentality then that's far enough. However it would mean Marcus would have to perform duties for the RF, which I doubt he wants to.

How is he not related to royals? He is the stepson of the CP. His two younger half-siblings are royal, and one will be Queen one day. His mother will be Queen one day.

I wouldn't say that he needs a title, or that he should be given one and then expected to fill a royal role, but I can see how it could be reasoned that he might want one. I think it would really just all depend on his relationship with the NRF.

From what I read, they don't have titles in Norway. So they can't give Marius one.

I think it would really just all depend on his relationship with the NRF.

Which I think is very warm and affectionate, as I always had the impression that The King and Queen consider Marius as one of their grandchildren.

But I think Norway does not have a nobility, so I don't think King Harald V, King Haakon VIII or Queen Ingrid (his half-sister, which makes him a blood close relative of a Royal) will give him a title.

How is he not related to royals? He is the stepson of the CP. His two younger half-siblings are royal, and one will be Queen one day. His mother will be Queen one day.

He is not blood related or married to or born to a royal. He is the stepson by marriage to the future King. His mother will not be the Queen Regnant, she will be Queen Consort. Related by marriage means little in my opinion.

I am very curious why they abolished it.

Back
Top Bottom