Princess Astrid and Family: News and Pictures

• Thread starter CountessofLuxembourg
  • Start date

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That rest in peace. What a great sad loss for Astrid and her family.

My condolences to the Family.

Sad news.
May he rest in peace.

My condolences to the Family. He rest in peace.

This was sad news, but not very surprising. He has been ill for a long time.

How very sad for Princess Astrid.
Rest in peace,Johan Martin Ferner (1927-2015)

My condolences to Princess Astrid and her family,

Aww that's very sad news. My condolences to Astrid and the extended family.

Thread about death and funeral of Johan Martin Ferner: here

Princess Astrid marked the 70th anniversary of V-E Day by laying a wreath at the War Sailors Monument (Krigsseilermonumentet) at Bygdøynes in Oslo yesterday.

Image from Kongehuset.no

Thanks Polyesco!!

I like at the second photo the portrait of her mother!!

Thanks for the pictures, polyesco!

Princess Astrid is quite a character. She has (according to King Harald) a strong temperament and has been and is a strict big sister, but always someone you can ask for advice.

She still gives interviews to newspapers (twice in 2016), and was then on the front pages.

i love the photo with the dog i think it's more formal and regal it's just my opinion but it would had been much better if the sitting photo was the one with the queen alexandra turquoise tiara and the standing photo with the portrait of her mother would had looked better with the dog .

Beautiful photos. Love the one with her adorable dog :flowers:

Sounds like the king is quite close to his older sister.

Yes they are.
I like the second picture in evening dress , Sash beween her Parents Paintings.
The Pictures of Princess Mârtha do me think to our beloved Queen Astrid, she was Queen , her Sister died before being Queen.

What lovely photographs of Princess Astrid on the eve of her 85th birthday!

Beautiful photos. Love the one with her adorable dog :flowers:

Sounds like the king is quite close to his older sister.
They are very close and see each other several times each month (often just the two alone).

I would not characterize the princess as a warm person (and she was, according to her children a strict mother), but she is a very funny lady.

Last edited:
Picture:
Princess Astrid (center) with Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Queen Sonja and King Harald at the Royal Palace in Oslo on Friday, when the King and Queen held a dinner for the princess on the occasion of her 85th birthday on 12 February. Photo: Morten Brun / The Royal Court / NTB scanpi:
http://pipr.startsiden.no/abcn/resi.../195276853/1/artikkel_100_prosent/3455463.jpg

Article: Prinsesse Astrid fyller 85 år | ABC Nyheter
Transelated by me:
The Princess is turning 85 Sunday, but King Harald and Queen Sonja hosted a dinner on Friday.

''The King and Queen held a Birthday-Celebration for Princess Astrid, Mrs Ferner at the palace'', communications manager Marianne Hagen said.

In addition to the royal couple and Princess Astrid with family, Princess Ragnhild's family, the Crown Prince family and close friends attended the dinner.

The princess will celebrate privately on Sunday.

"Kongens nei" (The King's no)

Princess Astrid Maud Ingeborg was born in 1932, as the second oldest child of King Olav and Crown Princess Märtha. She grew up at Skaugum in Asker, but fled with her family when the Germans invaded Norway on April 9, 1940.

The story about the escape was in 2016 immortalized in the Norwegian film "King no." Head writers Harald Rosenløw Eeg and Jan Trygve Røyneland spent much time figuring out how the royals were, and they had several meetings with Princess Astrid, who told how she remembered both people and events.

''We were in contact with Princess Astrid, who is the family's memory'', Rosenløw Eeg, screenwriter said.

In September last year, Princess Astrid attended together with among others the King, Queen, Crown Prince and Crown Princess as the film was shown to an audience of thousands in the Palace Park.

First Lady

When Princess Astrid was born, it was clear that neither she nor Princess Ragnhild could ever take the throne. Nonetheless, the princess duties included being First Lady after Crown Princess Märtha died in 1954.

The tasks as a Norwegian princess and a representative of the royal family become bigger when her father, King Olav, took the throne in 1957. She followed him to the consecration ceremony in Trondheim and at travels at home and abroad.

In 1960, she was engaged to Johan Martin Ferner, which created public debate since he was a divorced man. The two married in 1961. She continued to represent the royal family, while she got five children.

Johan Ferner died on January 24 2015, 87 years old.

''The fact that she got married to Johan Ferner, was her great happiness. She has often emphasized that her mother, Crown Princess Märtha, was very fond of him, said TV2 royal expert Kjell Arne Totland to NTB in 2015.

Honorary Retirement

In 1968, Crown Prince Harald also finally married Sonja Haraldsen. With a Crown Princess in the country, Princess Astrid got less to do in public.

The King's second oldest sister has always continued to be a support for him through periods of illness, she has represented the royal house and Norway. She has been involved in working with children and young people who, like her, have dyslexia. She is chairman of Crown Princess Märtha's Memorial Fund.

In gratitude for the efforts she has made for Norway, both as first lady and after that, the government decided in 2002 to give the princess a honorary pension from the state.

Last edited:
Have people here seen the picture (in my above post) from the dinner at the palace last night, where she stands with the King, Queen, Crown Prince and Crown Princess?

From Kjell Arne Totland:
Prinsesse Astrid fyller 85 år | Kongebloggen - Kjell Arne Totland
Translated by me:
The Royal Family's "Grand Old Lady" has birthday!

On Sunday, King Harald's sister Princess Astrid is turning 85 - and celebrates the day privately with her immediate family - children, in-law and grandchildren.

But already on Friday night, the royal couple invited to a great birthday dinner at the Royal Palace in honor of the princess.

Astrid Maud Ingeborg, Princess of Norway, was born at Skaugum as the middle of then Crown Prince Olav and Crown Princess Märtha's three children - two years after her sister Ragnhild and five years before the "little brother Hajan," as the two sisters called him.

And what people don't think of is that Astrid after her mother's death in 1954 as the only adult woman in the royal family here at home, for many years was Norway's royal first lady. Both for her grandfather King Haakon and her father King Olav.

This lasted until then Crown Prince Harald married in 1968. Despite the fact that Astrid herself had started a family - and received five children.

The now 85 year old princess continues to represent the royal family unabated - both alone and together with her brother and his family.

And this despite the fact that she has had some health problems over the years. In younger days, she was constantly plagued with so-called rheumatic fever. And because of a loose tarsals, she has always had a tendency to "step over" - and therefore a number of times appeared on crutches at official occasions.

But after Astrid a few years ago began using acupuncture, she has told that she has far better health.

Last summer, however, she fractured a vertebra - and was forced to use a stiffening support corset. But not even this did stop her from participating at official occasions ...

I first saw Astrid carry the corset at the big garden party in the Queen Park in Oslo on September 1. There she sat in the front row - between King Harald and Queen Sonja, who were both concerned about her welfare.

We saw the same touching concern for the princess at the premiere of the film "The King's no" in the northern part of the palace park a few weeks later.

And despite the back pain, Astrid attended the autumn's big gala parties at the palace - with the bracing corset clearly visible outside her exquisite evening gowns.

I think it is very admirable that Princess Astrid despite her advanced age and her ailments, in an so unprecedented way, shows her sense of duty and her desire to help and support her brother in his important work.

I congratulate hereby the princess with the day - and hope that she still for many years with her smile and her style will throw joy and gloss over events at the palace!

Last edited:
The Princess has given an interview to NRK Dagsrevyen (Norway's largest news program), both the King and Crown Prince talked about her. I don't have the time now, but I'm going to write a post about it later tonight or tomorrow.

Thank your ROYAL NORWAY, your information is very much appreciated! :flowers:

The photos are beautiful, it's nice that we get a picture of Princess Astrid with the King and Queen and the CP Couple.

About the interview with NRK, here is the video https://tv.nrk.no/serie/dagsrevyen/NNFA02021117/11-02-2017 (start at 22:15 min)

article from NRK about the info
https://www.nrk.no/norge/prinsesse-astrid-fyller-85-ar-12.-februar-1.13369031
Google Translation
The translation is quite bad, I'm waiting for ROYAL NORWAY's summary :D But there are great pictures of Princess Astrid.

You're very welcome, fairy tale!

Google Translations is always bad, but this article by NRK royal correspondent Kristi Marie Skrede is written in Nynorsk (New Norwegian) and is therefore even worse to translate.

The NRK interview - translated by me:
Princess Astrid's method

It's too boring to be a pensioner, says Princess Astrid, which turn 85 on Sunday. When she was widowed two years ago, she traveled at first to Svalbard and drove scooter. Then she filled the calendar with engagements for the royal house.

''Pepita! Lie down! Lie! And do not pretend you do not know what it is.''

There is a clear command which go through the ministerial lounge at the castle. Little Pepita flounder a bit in the smooth couch before she obeys her mistress. After seven years with Princess Astrid, the company dog of breed Japanese chin has learned that there is no way around.

Princess Astrid, Mrs Ferner turn 85 this weekend. She was celebrated at the Palace Friday night. King Harald and Queen Sonja were hosting the dinner. Family, friends and close associates were guests.

''We have a very close relationship. She is boundlessly loyal. It has always been a hallmark at her'', King Harald said.

His Majesty says yes right away when NRK asks if he will tell about his big sister and her importance to the Norwegian royal family. So does Crown Prince Haakon.

''First and foremost, she is an aunt we are very fond of and who's always there. She contributes tirelessly, who is a tradition in our family. As such, she has a lot of King Olav in her, the crown prince said.

The life turned

On two occasions, the life turned dramatically for Princess Astrid. Both times, she has come forward with her own method.

Aged 22, she lost her mother, Crown Princess Märtha. The royal family was left with an aging King Haakon and a grieving Crown Prince Olav. The young princess, who was not trained for a big public role, was suddenly Norway's first lady. Now it was her task to be hostess for government leaders and to represent Norway at home and abroad.

''I almost came right out of college. I did not know what this was. So I was probably a bit hesitant at first. But then you become used to it and get a little help here and there. And it must go. It must go'', she says, while she is looking down.

It's the same today, 63 years after.

Be yourself!

That was the advice from her mother's old lady-in-waiting, which gave Princess Astrid courage to embark on the tasks.

''Be yourself! Otherwise it will be false. And it was good advice. Then I could relax more''.

''I believe that to suddenly become first lady awakened her. She realized that she was wanted'', King Harald said.

Princess Astrid is still the one who never says no when the monarchy need her.

She she was Norway's first lady for 14 years. Then she gave advice on the next one. ''Be yourself. It was the first thing I said to Sonja when she became Crown Princess. Later I said the same to Mette-Marit.''

Widow on snowmobile

The life turned again when her husband Johan Ferner passed away two years ago. Princess Astrid went forward with her own method this time too.

First she traveled to Svalbard and drove scooter along with her sons. An experience she later described as terribly fun in an interview with the magazine Allers.

''When we drove snowmobiles, the speed was so low that I had to ask them to get the speed up'', she said to Allers.

"For there are no old home here, I said. I got to try me as an exhaust grouse. It was funny!''

Boring to be retired

Then she filled the calendar with engagements for the royal house.

The princess has twelve patronages and shows up at events as often she can. In addition, she is always pressent at State visits and big occasions. The work become particularly important when she losed her husband.

''I sit alone at home and then it's nice to be asked out. If I can do a job, then it's extra nice.
Everyone likes to feel that they still have something to give'', she says.

''But you is turning 85, you've had a honorary pension from the state for 15 years, why would you not just be retired?''

''But it's so boring! No, there must be something to do. It keeps one up and about'', she says in her own strict way.

A clear message to little brother, the king

''I can assure you that my sister is very strict. If there is something she does not think is right, then we'll clear message'', King Harald said.

''This applies to the king too?

''Oh yes. I'm the little brother, I, you know'', says King Harald, laughing.

Crown Prince describes his aunt Astrid in the same way.

- She's like an encyclopedia for us. We can ask her about anything, she remembers incredibly well. She has strong opinions about how things were before and how it should be now, he says and smiles.

Princess Astrid is laughing when we refer what is said about her.

''No, I'm not afraid to speak out. I am not''.

But she will not say what she has spoken out about, she tries to take criticism in private.

Film Adviser

On a dark and rainy autumn evening, Princess Astrid saw the film about her own dramatic escape in 1940 at the outdoor cinema in the palace park. "The King's no" give a true picture of what happened, according to the princess. She was an advisor to the filmmaker Erik Poppe.

''I think he, who played Grandpa was very good'', she says.

Some scenes are like watching King Haakon just as his granddaughter remembers him.

''Grandpa was utterly distraught that his no, although he thought it was right, would go beyond so many people. All the bombing. And when the Germans later burned down large parts of northern Norway. He took it terribly heavy. I don't think he got over it.''

Until the day it ends

In the ministerial lounge at the Palace, the Princess sits under the large painting of King Olav's consecrations ceremony in Nidaros Cathedral in 1958. Closest to the new king in the painting is the young first lady in a blue dress.

''Historical. I remember it as very historic'', she says.

Little Pepita has settled in the lap of his owner and has found the calm there. The Princess has had dogs since she was two. Now it is Pepita who keeps her company and get her out on daily walks.

The little brother, the king, is turning 80. Neither he or his big sister has plans to quit the royal work.

''I am born to it. And then I have to carry it until the day it ends. It is clear'', she says.

''It is not in her nature to give up, so she's not going to do that. And thats make me very happy, said King Harald.

Princess Astrid is not looking like having her 85th birthday today. She looks so young.

From the Royal House: Prinsesse Astrid 85 år: Gratulasjonsprotokoll - kongehuset.no
Today, Sunday 12 February, is the 85th anniversary of Her Highness Princess Astrid, Mrs Ferner. Their Majesties The King and Queen gave a dinner in honour of the Princess at the Royal Palace Friday.

We invite everybody to send their greetings to Her Highness via this congratulatory message register. It will remain open for new entries until 09:00 tomorrow morning.

All the greetings will be presented to The Princess.

The Princess has in addition to the NRK interview, also given a very personal interview to VG (Norway's largest newspaper).

Princess Astrid is honoured by The Norwegian Women's Sanitation Association - Norway Today
Princess Astrid of Norway, Mrs Ferner, was awarded the Norwegian Women’s Sanitation Association’s highest honour for her effort and work for the organization over the past 63 years.

The princess will be one of 34 people awarded the association’s badge of honour during a ceremony on Wednesday evening.
Since 1954, she has been the association’s high guardian, a place she took over from her late mother, Crown Princess Märtha.

‘The Women’s Sanitation Association have an important legacy to pass on and convey to new generations. We see what no one else sees, or wants to see, and we do something about it. Princess Astrid has been our guardian for 63 years, and a confident and proud ambassador for the organization’s work,’ said organizational leader, Ellen-Sofie Egeland.

Local associations all over the country have previously been visited by Princess Astrid on notable anniversaries, for opening new buildings, and other events.

The Princess (due to her age and fragility) does not attend so many official engagements as she used to, but she still does a lot. She attends dinners and other things all the time, but for some weird reason it is not listed in the NRH calendar.

Tomorrow's ceremony is at least listed in the calendar:

14.06.2017 Badge of honour
Princess Astrid is presented with the Norwegian Women's Public Health Association's badge of honour (Leangkollen 18:00).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom