Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to Norway - March 20-22, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:

Mmmm but don't forget that after all Charles and Camilla are "only" the CP couple and maybe Clarence House just doesn't want to usptage the Queen, even abroad (yes i know in the 80's and 90's there were some tiara events even for the Wales couple...).
Even without the big bling, we can ad that the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall are maybe the only princely couple to be received in such a grand manner around the world.

Norway very rarely does black tie dinners so I'm starting to think that Charles and his people request them because the British seem to be abandoning their tiaras. Such a shame. However, everyone did look very very lovely and I have high hopes for tiaras in Denmark. Even black tie dinners without orders in Denmark seem to herald tiaras.
I don't think there abandoning tiaras. I think because its just an offical visit and not a state one. As you say I think Denmark we may well see tiaras. :flowers:

People curtsey differently everywhere, according to their preference. Some do just a slight bob, while others, like Mette-Marit, go for full formal curtsey.
She always curtseyed like that; for example, during her first meeting with Queen Elizabeth, or the most recent official visit to Britain (whilst heavily pregnant).
To me, it looks no different to curtseys performed by most other r:flowers:oyals, especially to Heads of State.

The only strange thing for me was the fact that Mette-Marit chose to curtsey at all as she and Camilla have equal ranks as wives of Crown Princes of their respective countries. Moreover, as Crown Princess of the host country, Mette-Marit actually has a slight precedence over Camilla; the only reason could be genuine respect and/or admiration she has for Camilla - the two women do appear to be quite close. After all , and Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit were the only crown princely couple from a reigning hose to attend Charles and Camilla's wedding back in 2005.

I think M-M is just a genuinely warm, respectful woman who chooses to pay courtesy to her equal royal counterparts. She seems to derive pleasure from it, it seems, and for her it's an additional welcoming gesture on top of the traditional kiss.

And I'm so glad you posted that picture of M-M curtseying to Queen Elizabeth; I never tire of seeing that over again. That has got to be one of the most dramatic, graceful and elegant curtseys I've ever seen; she's bowing and dipping at the same time. She truly pulled out the big-gun, old-World court curtsey for the Queen and how I wish I could see HM's expression for that one! I love how her hand is placed atop the Queen's; so splendid to see.

Last edited:
One of MM's best looks ever. :)

Yes it is. I kept on looking at MM and wondering what was different? Her dress is elegant and simple, hair and makeup perfect. She looks so happy too.

But Prince Charles has always been particularly close to Queen Margrethe of Denmark. They were both students of archaeology at university and both Queen Margrethe & Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands have stayed with Prince Charles on one of his long weekends at Sandringham. + I also think that Queen Margrethe was one of the few to publicly support Prince Charles's relationship with Camilla before the couple married in 2005.

But didn't Haakon and Mette-Marit live in London for some time after their marriage? Thinking about the upheaval about Mette-Marit's past, I can imagine that MM and Camilla found they had something in common, so a close relationship could have startd. Which would explain the curtsey as well.

:previous:
It is possible. Certainly, the presence of Norway's crown princely couple at Camilla's wedding, which was supposed to be controversial affair (and was instead, thankfully, only a happy and beautiful one) was a public show of support that could only be explained by genuine affection between the couples, and

Oh, I thought this would have been a tiara event, how disappointing.

I know I'm bitterly disappointed with the lack of sparkle tonight in Oslo :( on the plus side Camilla looked pretty great and some great turquoise jewellry that i don't think we've seen before. Pity it seemed like a toned down evening and i had such high hopes for Norway on this trip, we already know that sweden and denmark (?) won't be full on tiara wearing events i thought this one might deliever but alas....

The only time that Camilla has worn a tiara outside the UK is at the Commonweath meet in Uganda in 2007. These days the only member of the BRF who does wear tiaras abroad is the Queen herself.

on the plus side Camilla looked pretty great and some great turquoise jewellry that i don't think we've seen before. Pity it seemed like a toned down evening and i had such high hopes for Norway on this trip, we already know that sweden and denmark (?) won't be full on tiara wearing events i thought this one might deliever but alas....

Camilla has had this turquoise demi-parure for some time now, most certainly since before her wedding to Charles. I think the last time this was seen was in the pictures released to mark the first wedding anniversary of C&C.

It is interesting to see, that in few days, we saw very differents weather in Norway... I mean, the Crownprincecouple was fotographed with skiers at Skaugum, with lot of snow, than a few days later they willkommed Charles and Camilla in Oslo in a very sunny, spring weather and now in Bergen this rainy, autumn weather... And this destinations are not so much from each other (Skaugum, Oslo, Bergen)....

Today, the Duchess of Cornwall visited Granebo Outdoor Nursery School in Oslo, accompanied by Queen Sonja.
The weather was unfortunately unkind for outdoors activities; nevertheless, the royal ladies appeared to be in quite a good mood.
Later, the Duchess of Cornwall and the Prince of Wales paid a visit to Bryggen Wharf, where Prince Charles had a go with an axe as Camilla looked on. :D
King Harald, Camilla, Prince Charles and Queen Sonja also attended a concert in Haakonshall in Bergen together.

Gallery from Zimbio
Gallery from Getty

Last edited:
DIY Duchess: Camilla practises her wood whittling skills on visit to outdoor nursery school with Queen of Norway
The Duchess of Cornwall brushed up on her camping skills today on a visit to an outdoor nursery school in Bergen.It is unlikely that she will every need to recall the lesson, but Camilla was taught the art of wood whittling on the second day of her Scandinavian tour.Accompanied by Queen Sonja of Norway, the pair braved the rain for the trip, where they spent some time with school children.
Some lovely pictures in the article with this one being my favourite. :D

Last edited:
Sonia seems to share Camilla's love of the polka dot.

It is interesting to see, that in few days, we saw very differents weather in Norway... I mean, the Crownprincecouple was fotographed with skiers at Skaugum, with lot of snow, than a few days later they willkommed Charles and Camilla in Oslo in a very sunny, spring weather and now in Bergen this rainy, autumn weather... And this destinations are not so much from each other (Skaugum, Oslo, Bergen)....

True. Weather in Norway has these things. That's why the weather forecast website (yr.no) seems to be one of the favourite websites of norwegians ;)

As usual it had to be heavy raining in rainy Bergen:D

Sonia's yellow rain hat is certainly interesting. If Camilla had worn it I can only imagine the press comments! Camilla seems to frequent the same brolly maker as HMQ.

Sack the reporter!
1.The royal couple debarked from their plane ........ greeted local dignitaries. (no it was the CPs)
2. The night was capped off with an official dinner at the Norwegian Royal Palace, where the group was joined by Princess Astrid and Princess Martha-Louise. (Who is Martha Louise? It was MM)
3. Also, a soldier fainted while waiting for Charles and Camilla to arrive. (See slideshow.) This story keeps getting stranger.

What I find strange is that this was printed.

I'm not at all surprised. The British press knows next to nothing about foreign royal families and it shows. They just don't care enough to do their research properly.

:previous: Dont disagree but that's from the Huffington Post. I don't think the US papers get it either

I assumed that it was from the Huffington Post UK staff since it was about the BRF. In any case, my statement is equally applicable to the American press as it is to the British.

Sack the reporter!
1.The royal couple debarked from their plane ........ greeted local dignitaries. (no it was the CPs)
2. The night was capped off with an official dinner at the Norwegian Royal Palace, where the group was joined by Princess Astrid and Princess Martha-Louise. (Who is Martha Louise? It was MM)

What I find strange is that this was printed.

Haakon's sister Martha Louise did attend the dinner as well as Mette Marit (who was mentioned earlier in the article).

Here's a group picture. Martha Louise is on the far right.

Camilla and Mette-Marit dazzle at royal soiree - hellomagazine.com

:previous: Thank you I missed that but they obviously have no idea who MM is.

These days the only member of the BRF who does wear tiaras abroad is the Queen herself.

Except when they're at somebody's wedding where all the guests are wearing tiaras (female guests, that is!)

Except when they're at somebody's wedding where all the guests are wearing tiaras (female guests, that is!)

Agreed, though typically, only the Wessex's are sent to those events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom