Popularity of the Royal Family in Norway

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A newest poll shows that King Harald is on top of it: 91% believe he does a good job, only 1% believe that he is doing a bad job. Queen Sonja gets 80%, CP Haakon 85% and CP Mette-Marit 63%.

75% believe that King Harald should not abdicate, while 13% say that CP Haakon should take over.

16% percent believe the Princess Märtha Louise does a good job, while 36% believe she does a bad job as a representative of the Royal House. Her husband Ari Behn gets 72% of respondents who think he is doing a bad job.
Royal expert Kjell Arne Totland thinks this has a natural explanation. 'Measurements like this are really always very unfair to the couple Behn. The two are part of the extended royal family, but they are not considered as part of what is often referred to as The Royal Family.'

1138 people were asked by polling institute Ipsos MMI.
Dette mener vi om de kongelige - TV 2 Nyhetene
Google Translation

http://www.altaposten.no/lokalt/NTB/NTB_innenriks/article7331859.ece
Google Translation

Last edited:
:previous:thank you fairy tale

Im not sure how serious the poll is,
but looking at the #s for the cp couple, there is a huge difference,
85% compared to 63% for MM:whistling:

Good news for the King,Queen and Crown Prince,ok news for the Crown Princess and dismal news for Princess Märtha Louise and Ari Behn!

When you compare the numbers with last year's MMI poll, they went a very little down for King and Queen, a little bit more for CP Haakon and quite much for CP Mette-Marit. The Behns, well...I think everybody can imagine why.

I also don't know how representative this poll is, at least they give us the number how many people were asked.

Comparison 2012 - 2013 (doing a good job for Norway):
King Harald: 93% - 91%
Queen Sonja: 81% - 80%
CP Haakon: 89% - 85%
CP Mette-Marit: 75% - 63%
Princess Märtha Louise: 25% - 16%

Ari Behn: 57% that he does a bad job - 72%

Im not quite familiar with the Norwegian Royal Family, but as far as I have seen those Behns are not very well liked, I am aware of the strange attitudes of the Princess, but I just don't have enough information to understand why her husband is stongly rejected. Could anyone be so kind as to explain this?

In a recent survey 67 percent are responding that the current royal family makes a very or fairly good job. The King is as usual the most popular.
As many as 40 percent of respondents believes that King Harald does the best job of royalty, while 21 percent answered Crown Prince Haakon in the survey undertaken by Ipsos MMI for the newspaper Dagbladet.
Queen Sonja gets thumbs up from 9 percent of those surveyed, while Crown Princess Mette-Marit only get 5 percent.
King Harald become the most liked by those over 40 years, while the age group 18-39 years like Prince Haakon best.
In the survey, said 30 percent that the royal family does a very good job, and 37 percent said they think the royals are doing a pretty good job.
King Harald is the people's favorite

In a recent survey 67 percent are responding that the current royal family makes a very or fairly good job. The King is as usual the most popular.
As many as 40 percent of respondents believes that King Harald does the best job of royalty, while 21 percent answered Crown Prince Haakon in the survey undertaken by Ipsos MMI for the newspaper Dagbladet.
Queen Sonja gets thumbs up from 9 percent of those surveyed, while Crown Princess Mette-Marit only get 5 percent.
King Harald become the most liked by those over 40 years, while the age group 18-39 years like Prince Haakon best.
In the survey, said 30 percent that the royal family does a very good job, and 37 percent said they think the royals are doing a pretty good job.
King Harald is the people's favorite

thanks
another article on this poll
Ja, vi elsker kongen - Kjendis

thanks
another article on this poll
Ja, vi elsker kongen - Kjendis

Learning from Sweden, do not think so. Johan T. Lindwall, royal reporter for the Swedish newspaper Expressen, is in my opinion a joke of a journalist. Crown Prince Haakon is as popular in Norway as Crown Princess Victoria is in Sweden. Lindwall says Victoria always come out much better than Carl XVI Gustaf in the Swedish polls. I dont think it will be hard to be more popular than Carl Gustaf.

A rather ridiculous poll if you ask me. Who does the best job, they should have asked is he, here doing a good job. Dagbladet is a republican newspaper, a newspaper most people in Norway is laughing of.

Last edited:
In another thread, there were several mentions that the CP couple are disliked in their country. Does anyone have any information on this? The last post here is from a few years ago, and although their ratings aren't stellar, it doesn't come across as actually disliked.
Has something changed?

:previous: In which thread?
And yes, their reputation is IMO (and in the opinion of several Norwegian pro-monarchy commentators/experts) totally broken, but ''disliked'' is a very strong word, I think.

Perhaps you should check out the ''Norway: Republic or monarchy?'' thread, where I've written a great deal about it (especially from post 105 to 140).

If you don't have the time to go through it all, then you will find much information in these two posts:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f16/norway-republic-or-monarchy-17117-7.html#post2051615

BTW, be aware that I suffer from dyslexia, so my writing in those long posts is not the best, but my English writing is better than it was pre 2017.

I would like to focus on this quote from the speech given by current prime minister (and, somewhat controversially, good personal friend of the crown prince) Jonas Gahr Støre in honor of the Crown Prince Couple's fiftieth birthdays.

I have noticed that many foreign royalty fans, especially those who are unfamiliar with the Norwegian monarchy and Norway, criticize the Royal House for being (as they see it) too common, too slimmed-down, too untraditional, too unglamorous, and so on. But, on the basis of what I have seen, I think Jonas Gahr Støre's speech is an eloquent and accurate summation of what Norwegians in general love and cherish about their monarchy, even though it may not match foreign royal watchers' preferences.

Translated from the Norwegian:

I have sometimes thought that it cannot be easy to be royal anywhere, nor in Norway – to be our first family.

But history has shown that you – like the three generations before you – have succeeded at being both royal and among the people. It must be a demanding balance – and your balance.

Because we expect you to be like anyone else – and at the same time wholly unique.

Take part in the activities that people most commonly do – and at the same time fulfill an extraordinary role.

Live a normal life – and at the same time be role models.

Speak out for sensible beliefs and views on current events – but not be partisan, not be political.

Protect your private space – and at the same time be public – and invite us in.

Maybe the public in other monarchies can accept that their royalty is something all to themselves, elevated - and unreachable.

But it doesn't work like that here. Luckily for that. And thank you for the way you understand what and how Norway is.

We are happy – and proud – that we see you meet and listen to authors, athletes, and entrepreneurs whom we, too, have seen.

That you surf, bicycle, take the train.

That you raise the most important issues of our time and give them importance – such as the ocean, environment and sustainabilty, poverty, HIV and AIDS, mental health, and youth experiencing a tough upbringing, and those in jeopardy of being left out of the community. You are there.​

The full speech: https://www.regjeringen.no/no/aktue...gen-av-kronprinsparets-50-arsdager/id2992274/

Last edited:
It's essentially a summing up of why most monarchies that are left have survived: They have adapted.

The monarchies that are left are the ones that have adapted to the expectations set by the populations in these very same monarchies. In other words: The people in the various monarchies have the type of monarchy they want.
That is something many republicans who live outside monarchies fail to understand: They see the monarchy as an (aloof) institution that is out of touch with the modern world, while failing to understand that a monarchy only exists if it indeed is in touch with the world and is not aloof. It's a symbiosis.
On top of that comes the often very deep historical, cultural and national ties.
The NRF grew up so to speak with the modern independent Norway. A symbiosis.

I would like to focus on this quote from the speech given by current prime minister (and, somewhat controversially, good personal friend of the crown prince) Jonas Gahr Støre in honor of the Crown Prince Couple's fiftieth birthdays.

I have noticed that many foreign royalty fans, especially those who are unfamiliar with the Norwegian monarchy and Norway, criticize the Royal House for being (as they see it) too common, too slimmed-down, too untraditional, too unglamorous, and so on. But, on the basis of what I have seen, I think Jonas Gahr Støre's speech is an eloquent and accurate summation of what Norwegians in general love and cherish about their monarchy, even though it may not match foreign royal watchers' preferences.

Translated from the Norwegian:

The full speech: https://www.regjeringen.no/no/aktue...gen-av-kronprinsparets-50-arsdager/id2992274/

The secret of the Norwegian monarchy and of their peers in Denmark and, to a lesser extent, Sweden, is actually to look slimmed down while not really being so.

Ingrid Alexandra's 18th birthday celebrations for example were not slimmed down at all (in fact, in most countries, they would have been considered outrageously excessive, especially for someone who is not even the heir yet). However, most people think of the Norwegian royals as "down to Earth" because they "surf and take the train".

Incidentally, Prince William (now the Prince of Wales) also went surfing in Cornwall (but he's not really as good as Haakon and Ingrid !) and his family holds far fewer gala dinners than the Scandinavian royals (certainly not on birthdays or wedding days for example) and, yet, the British royal family has an international image of being distant from the common people.

I don't really understand why the PM felt the need for a dig to other royal families. Imho that was uncalled for.

I agree with Muhler's assessment that adaptation is indeed paramount for survival for all monarchies (at least in a democracy - but in a different way also outside of it).

And Mbruno, you are right that somehow the Scandinavian royals have (at least in Europe) the most extravagant parties while still somehow conserving their 'down to earth'-image.

The monarchies of Norway, Denmark and Sweden are the best at organizing royal events such as weddings, baptisms or birthdays in an extravagant way. But at the same time they manage to adapt to new times without losing their traditions.

In light of recent headlines involving Durek, the research company InFact has carried out a survey on behalf of the online newspaper Nettavisen, where they asked:

How has Durek Verrett affected your trust in the Royal Family?
The trust is strengthened, 12%.
The trust is weakened, 33,7.
The trust is unchanged, 47,9%.
Don't know, 6,4%.
(The survey was carried out in the beginning of January.)

Read more here (link). Google translation (link).

Well, now I think the time has come for the king and Haakon to sit Märtha down in a nice way and tell her lovingly that the actions of her fiancé are harming the monarchy and that the only solution is for her to voluntarily renounce her princess-title.

Why? Because as long as Märtha is a princess, then everything she and Durek say affects the monarchy. I mean, as I've written before, she is a PRINSESS and he will be the PRINCESS' husband, which means that the word monarchy is written in both their faces. And that is a VERY BIG problem when he says the stuff he says and Märtha is silent behind him, even sometimes supporting him.

Hmm interesting to see the numbers. On one hand almost 50% are unchanged so that is good, but 34% saying their trust in the RF is weakened is not insignificant either.

Back
Top Bottom