Opening of the Parliament (Stortinget) 2004 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really love to see the King, Queen and Crown Prince during the opening of the Parliament.

It's great to see the guys wearing their uniforms. Especially Haakon looks so extremely good in it. :wub:..
It's always funny to see Queen Sonja following her self-written rule to wear black-red only .
Well, the colors already belong to this event. ;) Sonja looked really elegant! She always does!
With red and black she's sure to match the uniforms... :rolleyes:

HaHa, yes. Sonja always matches the men. As always, it is good to see the three of them, but I would really have loved to see Mette. Too bad for this tradition of the crown princess not attending.

It is simply customary that the Crown Princess doesn't. When Sonja became queen, there was a lot of noise about whether or not the queen should make appearances as she has no official role according to the constitution - points were made that Queen Maud attended some of the openings when she was queen, and the debate died down regarding Sonja's appearances. But no Crown Princess has ever attended the opening of Stortinget.

One supposes it could be because Norway didn't have a crown princess from 1905 to 1929, when a lot of the formalities in the monarchy came about (like the gala-dinner at the Palace later this month). When Norway got a Crown Princess, the Queen had already ceased her attendances at the openings (last one was in 1922.) and I suppose there wasn't any thought to bring her into it on her own.

But that will probably change in the future after Haakon has become King and Ingrid Alexandra has reached the aqe of 18, because then the Crown Princess will be the Heir.

But that will probably change in the future after Haakon has become King and Ingrid Alexandra has reached the aqe of 18, because then the Crown Princess will be the Heir.
Yes... I think they'll allow the Crown Princess (the Heir to the Throne) then to attend the event, but I guess her future husband will have to stay home then. As Larzen said: 3 chairs only. :D

The King skipped a page of his speech and stumbled in some of the words.

The words stumbled in were the same as last year when he asked God to bless the brain (hjerne) of Stortinget instead of its work (gjerning). This year he asked God to bless the fermentation (gjæring). Kongen hoppet over en side i trontalen

The King skipped a page of his speech and stumbled in some of the words.

The words stumbled in were the same as last year when he asked God to bless the brain (hjerne) of Stortinget instead of its work (gjerning). This year he asked God to bless the fermentation (gjæring). Kongen hoppet over en side i trontalen

Here is another article about it from aftenposten

King flipped through speech

King Harald's speech marking the official opening of parliament on Tuesday included a few errors that were easy for spectators to overlook - full article

Why do everyone remain standing during the speech from the throne? surely it would be more comfertable to sit.

Iain, it's because the King is speeking and it is regarded as an important and solemn occation. It's of the same reason why we stand when the Norwegian anthem is sung.

Iain, it's because the King is speeking and it is regarded as an important and solemn occation. It's of the same reason why we stand when the Norwegian anthem is sung.

vestfoldlilja, I can understand people standing for the anthem, that happens throughout the world, but if you watch other countries where the monarch speaks everyone usually sits. I find it rather surprising that even the King stands instead of sitting on the throne.

Was MM on the opening?

PS. I don't watch the whole video.

Was MM on the opening?
This question is asked every year. :D ;)

To answer your question:
No, Mette-Marit didn't attend.
The Crown Princesses never attended the Opening of the Parliament.
Only the Royal Couple and the Heir to the throne attend the Opening of Stortinget.

Last edited:
Oh thanks HM.

Btw. is it any tradition or her choice?

Thanks.

You're welcome.
Btw. is it any tradition or her choice?
Sonja didn't attend either when she was Crown Princess. It's tradition that only the King, Queen and Heir attend.

So, Ingrid Alexandra is going to be the first Crown Princess who attends the opening of Stortinget, as she is going to be the heir to the throne.

Looking at one of the videos I was surprised at how few people were lining the route. One side of the street had only a handful of people, so unlike the Hague where you can hardly find a space. Also, why the closed cars? you could hardly see who was in them. Surely they could use a landau so that people get a good view.

Opening of the Parliament (Stortinget) - 2009

Formal opening of the Storting
His Majesty The King will undertake the formal opening of the 154th session of the Storting. Her Majesty The Queen and His Royal Highness The Crown Prince will also be in attendance (13:00)

Previous years' threads can be found here:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f16/opening-of-parliament-stortinget-2008-a-18455.html
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f16/opening-of-parliament-stortinget-2-10-07-a-14104.html
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f16/opening-of-stortinget-2006-a-16014.html

I think Queen Sonja looked especially elegant today. A true Queen from tip to toe!

Queen Sonja does look wonderful. I like it when all the openings of parliament are close together. :flowers:

The Queen does look very pretty. I loved how some of the members of parliament appeared to be wearing bunads in the video!

Did MM attend the parliament opening? I haven't seen her in the pictures.
No, she didn't.
The Norwegian Crown Princesses never attend this event.
The event is only attended by the King, Queen and the Heir to the throne.

Is this a special chamber for ceremonial occasions like this or is the normal debating chamber? It would seem that if this is the regular debating chamber it would have to be rearranged for day to day activities.

I wonder why MM and all other crown princesses never attend this event?
Anybody?

Back
Top Bottom