Norwegian Royals In Bunads

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alexandria said:
Thanks for all the great pictures Mandy!

Is it traditional for students to wear their bunads to graduation? And if so, is there a special bunad that they wear or do they simply wear the one from the region they are from?

You're welcome Alexandria! I see that Larzen and Norwegianne have already answered your question.

These pictures were taken at Märtha Louise's graduation as a physiotherapist after a 3-year course at Bistlet College in Oslo. Perhaps this is the college's traditional ceremony.

Many thanks to Mandy !

I just wanted to thank you, Mandy, for these beautiful and unknown (at least, for me) pictures . I am always amazed by the number of pictures you are able to find and post on this board !
I really enjoy to see royals wearing bunads : I find these clothes very beautiful and they suit them very well .
I will try to find pics to post ... :)

Anita said:
I just wanted to thank you, Mandy, for these beautiful and unknown (at least, for me) pictures . I am always amazed by the number of pictures you are able to find and post on this board !
I really enjoy to see royals wearing bunads : I find these clothes very beautiful and they suit them very well .

I will try to find pics to post ... :)
You are so welcome Anita and thank you for the lovely words. I enjoy posting and looking at pictures of royals wearing beautiful clothes and jewelry. It also pleases me that others such as yourself enjoy looking at them as well.

Young Mette-Marit wearing a bunad

Picture of a young Mette-Marit wearing a bunad.
Picture from www.nrk.no

Attachments

• m3-NRK.jpg
    m3-NRK.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 692
Mette-Marit in her Hardanger bunad that was a weddingpresent, IMO its one of the most beautiful (and expensive) of the norwegian bunads (august 2002)

From Aftenposten.no
https://www.aftenposten.no/multimedia/archive/00071/null_71036a.jpg

Here from nationalday 2003, just pregnant with Ingrid

https://www.aftenposten.no/multimedia/archive/00119/RBD97D3_IPT_119437a.jpg

https://www.aftenposten.no/multimedia/archive/00119/RBD97D8_IPT_119436a.jpg

Haakon and Mette-Marit on a visit in Hardanger, MM is wearing what looks like a white hat, its a very stiff linnen fabric that is folded on your head, you only use it when you are married. MM used it one time during that visit and it took two local ladies almost 1.5 hours to get it on her head, on the first pic I posted from the same visit she did not wear it becase they did not have time to put it on. Its not often you see such young women wear it even if they are married, but all the locals were delighted that she wore the bunad the proper way. Many bunads have different head gear, differing from a ribbon around the head like Märtha has on some pictures, to a smal hat or this construction,(from BT.no) Im sure she feels a little funny wearing it.....Haakon looks amused as well ;)(august 2002)

Queen Maud in the Hardangerbunad, a rare sight, wonder if she has a corset under;)
https://www.geocities.com/bergen_lodge/maud_stor.jpg

There is another pic of Queen Maud in bunad at this link
https://www.geocities.com/bergen_lodge/n_bunadsbilder_kongelige.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pictures Larzen. The pictures of Queen Maud are excellent posts!. She really had a tiny waist.

Those pictures of Queen Maud were actually taken before she became queen of Norway. She, along with her mother, and her sister, took a tour of Norway. That's when Maud bought the bunad, I believe I have read.

Since there are only eight days until Christimas, I thought it would be nice to post pictues of the Royal Family wearing bunads (Sonja and Märtha Louise) in a Christmas atmosphere.

Attachments

• Norway 01.JPG
    Norway 01.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 831
  • Norway 02.jpg
    Norway 02.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 536
  • Norway 03.jpg
    Norway 03.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 486
There are several occasions where the Royals have worn Sami costumes. Crown Prince Olav and Crown Princess Märtha wore them when they visited the North of Norway after their wedding, as did Crown Prince Harald and Crown Princess Sonja when they visited after their wedding.

Princess Märtha Louise has also worn the costume, as far as I'm aware. I'm a bit more unsure if Haakon has done it, or if Mette-Marit has.

Here is to pictures of Queen Sonja from the 70th bursday to her friend Johan Baumann in Gudbrandsdalen.

Attachments

• sonja.jpg
    sonja.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 2,565
  • sonja2.jpg
    sonja2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,400
May 17, 2005 Norway National Day

Attachments

• 482693.jpg
    482693.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 546
  • 482737.jpg
    482737.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 487
Queen Sonja. May 13, 2005. Pic from Royal Family's website

Attachments

• musikkfest_TEgIsZst.jpg
    musikkfest_TEgIsZst.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 585
Thanks for all the pictures! I like the Hardanger bunad and the Nord-Hordaland bunad (My friend Bancha has that one)

June 20, 1997: (Corbis)

Attachments

• 0000329725-028.jpg
    0000329725-028.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 611
  • 0000329725-029.jpg
    0000329725-029.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 475
Please help conserve bandwidth by posting pictures via private accounts such as Photobucket or Imageshack.

Thanks for your co-operation

Mandy
Royal Forums Administrator

Last edited:
It's really special to go through this thread and look at all the pretty pictures, on the National day. There's so much tradition involved in bunads, despite the fact that it's actually a created tradition based on old folk costumes, which probably didn't have the 10 rules of how to wear a bunad that VG posted (and Larzen translated in the 2006 thread).

And just one mis-match for the royals can get the "bunad-police" out in full force. ;)

this is so interesting.
thank you very much!!!:)

As tomorrow is National Day, there is an article about bunads worn by Royals, concentrating on CP Mette-Marit, but also some of Queen Sonja.
KRONPRINSESSE METTE-MARIT - Hvilken bunad velger Mette-Marit i år? - Side2
Google Translation

I extracted the pictures:
- MM (8 years old) in Gudbrandsdalsbunad
- MM (15 years) at her confirmation in Rogalandsbunad
- MM in Rogalandsbunad (left 2001 during engagement time, right 2006)
- MM in Hardangerbunad (2006)
- MM in Vest-Agder-bunad (2005)
- MM in traditional costume of Laudal in Vest-Agder (2010)
- CP Couple and Sverre Magnus in Askerbunads, Ingrid Alexandra in the summer version of the Askerbunad, Marius in Vest-Agder-bunad Picture (2008)
- MM in blue and black celebration costume, Queen Sonja in beltestakk Picture (2011)
- Queen Sonja in Øst-Telemark
- Queen Sonja and Princess Märtha Louise both in Asker-bunads (1981)
- Queen Sonja in beltestakk from Telemark (1994)

pictures of Norwegian Royals in bunads Hvilken synes du er finest? - Her er de kongelige bunadene - - MSN Kjendis

and an overview of different bunads https://livsstil.no.msn.com/style/norges-vakreste-bunader#image=1
Google Translation

Queen Sonja HM Dronning Sonja sin sti langs Hardangerfjorden, Lofthus | Tur

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom