Norwegian royals and the tsunami in South East Asia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the photos and the translations. Those photos of MM with tears in her eyes are really hard to look at. :( I can't even imagine what it was like for those people actually being there in Asia. :( So sad. I thought it was really nice that they stayed longer at the hospital though.

KikkiB said:
There was a little interview on the news with the crown prince and crown princess as they left the hospital. CP Haakon said that they regreted going to Brazil after the wave, and that they felt they should have been in Norway. He said that if they knew then what they know now they wouldn't have gone.
CP Mette-Marit talked about the metings with the patients that was recovering from the wave and how impressed she was by their survival instincts. And she got all chocked up.

They were supposed to be at the hospital for an hour, but didn't leave for four hours! I think that is cool of them to care so much about the people they visited that they didn't care about breaking their schedule:)
Bravo to Haakon for the apology. Well, he regretted going. They really should have stayed in Norway and it´s good of him to realize that.

Lena said:
I don´t want to offend you, but should we really judge mourning clothes? Aren´t in such a case more important things to discuss. IMO (talking about the outfit) it´s most important that the main part of this combination is black, other things are secondary.
I'd have to agree with you. But outfits do tend to be the primary conversation on such boards, no?

Yes, this was a really good thing, not only the apology, but also the fact thatr they stayed in the hospital longer than what was planned.

ILoveCristina said:
Yes, this was a really good thing, not only the apology, but also the fact thatr they stayed in the hospital longer than what was planned.
Mette-Marit has come in for slews of criticism in her day, and still does by people who have very specific notions about royalty (including that the princesses are no more than fashion plates), but I think what always appears to me as a real genuioness (sp?) about her that seems to allow her to connect to others matters more than a lot of the other stuff. But that's just me. I'm not surprised at all that they should have stayed for four hours--they always appear to me to be caring people.

From: http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebrities/2005/01/12/tsunamicelebs/

INTERNATIONAL SUPPORT CONTINUES FOR TSUNAMI VICTIMS

12 JANUARY 2005

From all corners of the globe, royalty, television personalities and pop stars are coming together to lend a hand in raising funds for the the victims of the tsunami in South East Asia. While some have chosen to give anonymously, others have used their popular appeal to urge fellow performers to pitch in and fans to be generous.

Attachments

• 00001.jpg
    00001.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 238
Last edited by a moderator:
Lena said:
I don´t want to offend you, but should we really judge mourning clothes? Aren´t in such a case more important things to discuss. IMO (talking about the outfit) it´s most important that the main part of this combination is black, other things are secondary.
I'd have to agree with you. But outfits do tend to be the primary conversation on such boards, no?
I don't any offense as I wasn't judging anyones mourning clothes, simply stating that picture wise the ensemble looked better from the top up. This is a board geared towards discussing Haakon and Mette Marit in all forms, and since I don't speak Norwegian, don't understand most of the articles posted it makes it hard to post much in substance and therefore my comments in this particular conversation was geared towards clothing. It may also be because a large part of my life and my living are based on fashion choices... It would be like someone who makes their living or spends a majority of their time writing speeches and teaching speech classes gearing their commentary towards specific speeches and how well they were written or how well they were carried out. Does that make sense?

I agree that it was nice to see Haakon and Mette Marit upon their arrival home. I don't think any Royals deserved flack or a hard time for simply continuing to live their own lives. While a big part of their "job description" may be to be a guiding presence in their nation, I don't see it as fair to blame them for wishing to finish out a hard earned vacation. As it's not exactly simple for them to find the time to take a lesiurly family vacation out of the view of the public eye. And whether they are royal or not everyone deserves some time alone with their family or friends (etc.) and should not be placed in a bad light for wishing to have that alone time.

Today Haakon attended a Asia-Concert outside Stortinget, later tonight he and Mette-Marit wil attend a big concert at Rockerfeller in Oslo which also raises Money for the Victims of the Tsunami.

Here he is seen with the General Secretary of Save The Children Gro Brækken and the mayor of Oslo Per Ditleff Simonsen

Pics from VG and ANB

Attachments

• haakon.jpg
    haakon.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 353
  • CATWQHTN.jpg
    CATWQHTN.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 242
  • CAUV4BJK.jpg
    CAUV4BJK.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 255
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
At tonights concert, from VG
All the most well known artists in Norway takes part, this arrangement has a much younger "feel" than the other arrangements for the Tsunami victims.

Attachments

• konsert.jpg
    konsert.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 373
  • konsert2.jpg
    konsert2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 318
  • foto3.jpg
    foto3.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 264
  • 1105679065363_204.jpg
    1105679065363_204.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
More from the concert, I hope that after the memorial to morrow when she will probably also wear black, that she will start with some more colour. Enough with the black already.
1-3 From www.Fotomarktplatz.de
4 from www.nettavisen.no
5 Mette-Marit with Håkon Moslet who is the boss of the radiochannel P3 that hosted the show from www.nettavisen.no

Attachments

• konsert22.jpg
    konsert22.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 255
  • konsert33.jpg
    konsert33.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 223
  • konsert11.jpg
    konsert11.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 238
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 206
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Today Haakon (Bergen), Mette-Marit (Oslo) and the King (Trondheim) attends memorial services for the 90 missing and dead after the Tsunami, the Queen and Princess Astrid attends the funeral in Luxembourg

Mette-Marit attended in Oslo Domkirke, also minister of development questions Hilde Frafjord Johnson attended this service, led by the bishop of Oslo Gunnar Stålseth
1 db.no
2 bt.no
3 nettavisen.no
4 kongehuset.no
5 aftenposten.no

Attachments

• mettem2.jpg
    mettem2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 281
  • mette-marit_209405a.jpg
    mette-marit_209405a.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 304
  • Kronprinsesse_Mette_177014c.gif
    Kronprinsesse_Mette_177014c.gif
    43.1 KB · Views: 411
  • mmm.jpg
    mmm.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 202
  • S_RGEGUDSTJENESTE___251925h.jpg
    S_RGEGUDSTJENESTE___251925h.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Thanks for news and the pictures Larzen.

From Colourpress, she continues with her strange headgear:p

Attachments

• Uten navn.jpg
    Uten navn.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 320
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 293
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 388
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 346
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 381
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 292
I see that the Norwegian royals do like the Swedish Royal Family did for the National Grieving Service last weekend - split up around the country to attend church, so that they show their support and griev together with all parts of it. A very good idea, I must say.

Thanks for all the nice pictures, Larzen! What a strange thing Crown Princess Mette-Marit had on her head/hair.... What is that really? And what is it supposed to do, as a function? Keep the hair in place? Or just be there... :)

It looks like an excuse for a hat, this is the first time I seen her wear something "hat like" when not accompanied by Queen Sonja or attedning a wedding\funeral abroad. I dont think she likes hats at all, since she seems to go for all sorts of feathers and things on her head.

One more of Haakon in Bergen
After the service he met with some of the relatives, including the many from Sri Lanka that lives in Bergen waiting to get a permanent residency and that has suffered big losses

and one more of Mette-Marit from VG.no

Attachments

• Uten navn.jpg
    Uten navn.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 344
  • mmm.jpg
    mmm.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
I wonder do royals look in the mirror b/f they go out.
Oh well. I think they are handling the tsunami crisis quite well.

More pics from the church service in Oslo with Crown Princess Mette-Marit. These are from Colourpress:

Attachments

• COLOUR10094113.jpg
    COLOUR10094113.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 287
  • COLOUR10094133.jpg
    COLOUR10094133.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 208
  • COLOUR10094116.jpg
    COLOUR10094116.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 299
  • COLOUR10094112.jpg
    COLOUR10094112.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 684
  • COLOUR10094110.jpg
    COLOUR10094110.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 283
  • COLOUR10094109.jpg
    COLOUR10094109.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 326
  • COLOUR10094108.jpg
    COLOUR10094108.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 335
  • COLOUR10094106.jpg
    COLOUR10094106.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 303
  • COLOUR10094105.jpg
    COLOUR10094105.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 295
  • COLOUR10094107.jpg
    COLOUR10094107.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 703
GrandDuchess said:
What a strange thing Crown Princess Mette-Marit had on her head/hair.... What is that really? And what is it supposed to do, as a function? Keep the hair in place? Or just be there... :)
Originally I thought it was supposed to be ear muffs but on closer inspection from the Colorpress pictures Larzen posted (thank you! :)) there seems to be (fish)netting that runs around the crown of her head. :confused: I think Mette-Marit would've been better off not wearing a hat rather than that thing.

http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/na/archive/00177/Kronprins_Haakon_177047m.jpg

Nettavisen.no reports that CP Haakon wanted to leave Brazil imediately after arriving there. His cousin, Haakon Lorentzen says that the CP felt that he ought to be home, and that the CP was on the phone with the palace all the time and that he watched the news a lot. He also says that the CP tried to get on a plane the first day there but all the planes were full.

I think this gives us some perspective in all the critic that the CP has had after the disaster.

I thought it was ear muffs too!! I was then stuck trying to figure out how why she wore them in church andif that was the new fashion in Scandinavia/Norway :D

Alexandria said:
Originally I thought it was supposed to be ear muffs but on closer inspection from the Colorpress pictures Larzen posted (thank you! :)) there seems to be (fish)netting that runs around the crown of her head. :confused: I think Mette-Marit would've been better off not wearing a hat rather than that thing.

Memorial in Oslo Rådus (Townhall) Attended by the intired royal family. It was an ecumenical (sp?) arrangement

ETA: Pictures from Colourpress

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 246
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 263
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 242
  • 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 235
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 260
  • Uten navn.jpg
    Uten navn.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 244
I may be the only one but I rather like the "ear muff/ hat" it's unique and interesting... I think it looks better from some angles rather then others, but all in all I like the look.

King Harald and Queen Sonja was present for the memorial in Oslo Townhall today

ETA: Pictures from www.colourpress.com /Mandy

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 209
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 196
Thank you all for the recent pictures.

Britters said:
I may be the only one but I rather like the "ear muff/ hat" it's unique and interesting... I think it looks better from some angles rather then others, but all in all I like the look.

I also think it's an interesting piece. It does look better from some angles.

What I particularly like about it: You can see her face. There are so many hats out there where you cannot see the faces, and that works a bit against the whole "you're supposed to see the royals from afar idea..."

KikkiB said:
Nettavisen.no reports that CP Haakon wanted to leave Brazil imediately after arriving there. His cousin, Haakon Lorentzen says that the CP felt that he ought to be home, and that the CP was on the phone with the palace all the time and that he watched the news a lot. He also says that the CP tried to get on a plane the first day there but all the planes were full.

I think this gives us some perspective in all the critic that the CP has had after the disaster.
That´s interesting. Thanks for telling us that. It certainly puts things into a different light now.

I saw this picture in another thread but I do have to ask... What does Mette-Marit have on her head?? It looks like a hat that is too small for her head!

ETA: Picture from Colourpress

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,549
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom