Norwegian Royal Family Current Events Part 3: May 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today, February 13, King Harald, accompanied by Queen Sonja and Crown Prince Haakon, received the President of Lithuania Gitanas Nausėda and the First Lady Diana Nausėdienė for an audience. Afterwards King Harald and Queen Sonja hosted a luncheon for their guests, Crown Prince Haakon attended as well:

** kongehuset: Litauens president i audiens **

The Norwegian military winter exercise Joint Viking led by the Norwegian Armed Forces with invited forces from NATO and partner nations is currently taking place (March 6 - 16). Today, March 7, King Harald visited Akershus Fortress to receive a briefing on the the military exercise and Crown Prince Haakon today started a two-day visit to the exercise at Bardufoss.

Photos of both can be found here:

** kongehuset: Vinterøvelsen Joint Viking 2023 **

** nrk.no article: Historisk møte under Joint Viking: Kongen med for første gang på video **

Last edited:
Today, April 24, Queen Sonja and Crown Princess Mette-Marit attended the unveiling of Louise Bourgeois's monumental sculpture Maman in the Palace Park, followed by a reception in the Queen Sonja Art Stable in connection with the unveiling.

Maud Angelica was seen as well.

** rex gallery ** anp gallery **

** kongehuset: Louise Bourgeois' ikoniske skulptur på plass i Slottsparken **

** gettyimages gallery: NOR: Norwegian Royals Attend The Unveiling Of Louise Bourgeois's Monumental Sculpture "Maman" **

Today, April 24, Queen Sonja and Crown Princess Mette-Marit attended the unveiling of Louise Bourgeois's monumental sculpture Maman in the Palace Park, followed by a reception in the Queen Sonja Art Stable in connection with the unveiling.

Maud Angelica was seen as well.

** rex gallery ** anp gallery **

** kongehuset: Louise Bourgeois' ikoniske skulptur på plass i Slottsparken **

** gettyimages gallery: NOR: Norwegian Royals Attend The Unveiling Of Louise Bourgeois's Monumental Sculpture "Maman" **

Interesting that Maud Angelica's attendance is not noted in the Royal House's article. It seems that in spite of being a member of the Royal Family and in line to the throne, and uncontroversial, she is being treated as a private citizen.

King Harald, Queen Sonja and Crown Prince Haakon received NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg for an audience at the Royal Palace today, May 30:

** Pic **

Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Princess Astrid attended the opening of the Dissimilis Festival in Oslo today, June 2:

** tt.se gallery ** rex gallery **

Last edited:
This afternoon, May 31, King Harald and Queen Sonja hosted a reception for NATO Ministers of Foreign Affairs at the Royal Palace. Crown Prince Haakon attended as well:

** anp gallery ** kongehuset: Holdt mottakelse for Natos utenriksministre **

I´ve been watching the live coverage and I felt very sorry for The King! At some point he had to hold on to the table standing behind him... I think the age of the King as well as his walking difficulties would justify to perform duties like these sitting!

The official press release about the backyard party at the Palace:

https://www.kongehuset.no/artikkel.html?tid=221928&sek=112472

Per the press release, the celebration is the culmination of the Crown Prince Couple's travels around Norway this spring, through which they became acquainted with many cities, people, environments and activities, and learned more about who Norwegians are and what has shaped Norwegians as a people. They have invited people from all over Norway whom they met on these travels to celebrate the Norway that everyone has contributed to shaping over these past 50 years.

The guestlist at the party also includes representatives of official Norway, including the president of the parliament, the government, supreme court justices, parliamentary leaders, state officials and representatives of organizations, including representatives of the Crown Prince Couple's patronages, and people whom they have worked with or met throughout the years.

Read more about the Crown Prince Couple's travels here:

https://www.kongehuset.no/artikkel.html?tid=217653&sek=112472

The Royal House's press release on preparations for the party at the Palace:

https://www.kongehuset.no/nyhet.html?tid=222476&sek=26939

NRK's broadcast began at 19:40.

Last edited:

The Royal Court published the full transcript of Queen Sonja's welcome speech. The NRK article has the video.

https://www.kongehuset.no/tale.html?tid=222585&sek=26947&scope=0

A press release with the menu of tonight's dinner; it says that most of the dishes are made with Norwegian ingredients and some are organic.

Although the Crown Prince said he was a vegetarian last year, the menu includes grilled meat and fish, as well as vegetarian dishes.

https://www.kongehuset.no/artikkel.html?tid=222441&sek=112472

Earlier today, the Musical College of Norway gave a performance at the Royal Palace in honor of the couple's 50th birthdays. It also celebrates its own 50th anniversary today. Crown Prince Haakon thanked them with a speech.

https://www.kongehuset.no/tale.html?tid=222525&sek=26947&scope=0

Read messages of congratulations from the public to the Crown Prince Couple (or leave your own) here:

https://www.royalcourt.no/protokoll.html?tid=220219&sek=26939

The speech by Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre, which brought Crown Princess Mette-Marit to tears:

https://www.regjeringen.no/no/aktue...gen-av-kronprinsparets-50-arsdager/id2992274/

The musical performances were lovely; can anyone share more information about them? I'm particularly curious about the dance with the colored lights as the guests entered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suddenly our Sverre Magnus is a handsome young man! Maybe he'll be the one to make a royal match, instead of his sister. I don't give up hope for the NRF. :D

Last edited:
Suddenly our Sverre Magnus is a handsome young man! Maybe he'll be the one to make a royal match, instead of his sister. I don't give up hope for the NRF. :D

I was thinking the same thing about how handsome Sverre Magnus is now. I think he's even better looking than his brother. You can see a little of his great-grandfather in him.

Ingrid Alexandra is a very pretty girl, too.

And thinking that in four months he will enter in the adulthood. Time doesn't pass, time flies!

Is Marius also there?

Marius Borg Høiby was absent. The royal expert commenting on the Crown Prince Couple's birthday celebration for state broadcaster NRK reported that he was "not in good shape", without elaborating. However, photos on his own private Instagram showed him partying with friends at a Oslo club popular with celebrities, located only a kilometer away from the Palace, on the same night. (Apparently, the club hosted a James Bond-themed party that night, and Marius was photographed in costume as Bond with a pistol.)

The palace, Marius, and the club owner declined to comment.

https://www.seher.no/kongelig/droppet-kongefeiring-festet-pa-byen/80106057

Strange all around - both Marius's absence and the reliable NRK being apparently misinformed.

This evening, October 13, Queen Sonja officially opened the Riding House - the latest addition to the Queen Sonja KunstStall and a new cultural arena.

The opening was celebrated with a performance by the Norwegian National Ballet and His Majesty The King's Guard. King Harald, Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Princess Astrid attended as well:

** tt.se gallery ** rex gallery ** ppe gallery **

** kongehuset: Åpnet Ridehuset som ny kulturarena **

Last edited:
King Harald and Queen Sonja hosedt a luncheon for the Nordic Council at the Royal Palace today, October 31. Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit attended as well:

** tt.se gallery **

On October 30 King Harald received the Chairman of the Totalberedskapskommisjonens (Total Preparedness Commission) for a briefing on the commission's work. Queen Sonja and Crown Prince Haakon were present as well:

** kongehuset: Orientering om norsk beredskap **

The King gave an audience to the President of Ukraine, Volodymyr Zelenskyy at the Royal Palace today. The Queen and the CP-Couple were also in attendance.
Royal House article (link). NRK-video (link).

Afterwards, the King and Queen hosted a luncheon in honour of the President. The CP-Couple were also in attendance.

Zelenskyy also visited Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre (where he also met the Danish, Swedish and Icelandic prime ministers and the Finish President, who are in Oslo at the moment to attend the Nordic summit) and the parliament, where he held a speech.

Why did he come? To thank Norway and the other Nordic countries for their continued support to Ukraine.

Read more about Norway's long-term support for Ukraine in this English statement from the Norwegian government (link).

Back
Top Bottom