Norway's National Day, May 17: 2003 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mandy

Majesty
Country
United States
May 17, 2003 - National Day - The Royal Family wave to the crowds from the palace balcony. (Scanpix)

Palace Balcony - Mette-Marit & Haakon. ( www.nrk.no)

Palace Balcony - Mette-Marit waves to the crowds. (www.nrk.no)

Palace Balcony - Mette-Marit. (Scanpix)

May 17, 2003 - At Skaugum - Mette-Marit & Haakon watching the marchers. (www.nrk.no)

At Skaugum - Mette-Marit. (www.nrk.no)

At Skaugum - Mette-Marit. (www.nrk.no)

At Skaugum - Mette-Marit & Haakon. (Scanpix)

At Skaugum - Mette-Marit & Haakon stand on the steps of Skaugum as the "Russ" or Graduating Class march by as others have done in previous years. (Scanpix)

At Skaugum - Mette-Marit & Haakon watching the marchers. (Scanpix)

Attachments

• 264559_scanpix.jpg
    264559_scanpix.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 579
  • 17mai03_18_nrk.JPG
    17mai03_18_nrk.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 430
  • 264560_nrk.JPG
    264560_nrk.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 496
  • 264560_scanpix.JPG
    264560_scanpix.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 2,055
  • 264547_nrk.JPG
    264547_nrk.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 865
  • 17mai03_5_nrk.JPG
    17mai03_5_nrk.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 2,121
  • 17mai03_6_nrk.JPG
    17mai03_6_nrk.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 2,080
  • 119436a_scanpix.jpg
    119436a_scanpix.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 498
  • 119441a_scanpix.jpg
    119441a_scanpix.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 2,046
  • 119437a_scanpix.jpg
    119437a_scanpix.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 2,021
Last edited:
Polfoto 17-05-2003 Kolbotn, Norway May 17: The Norwegian National Day King Harald and Queen Sonja meet the people on Kolbotn, East of Oslo.
Photo: Epsen Röst/Dagbladet/All Over Press Norway

Polfoto 17-05-2003 Kolbotn, Norway May 17: The Norwegian National Day King Harald and Queen Sonja meet the people on Kolbotn, East of Oslo.
Photo: Epsen Röst/Dagbladet/All Over Press Norway

Attachments

• ch044786.JPG
    ch044786.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 429
  • ch044787.JPG
    ch044787.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 634
Last edited:
I'd be curious to know if there any other members on this MB besides me who have been caught up in May 17 celebrations, and what their most vivid impact/memory of this event is?

Originally posted by haakon2@Sep 27th, 2003 - 2:55 pm
I'd be curious to know if there any other members on this MB besides me who have been caught up in May 17 celebrations, and what their most vivid impact/memory of this event is?
What is May 17th mean in Norway, other than Flag Day, whatever that means? What does it mean to you and what are your most vivid memories of that day? :innocent:

I am not a MM fan, but, I must say she looked beautiful in those photos. That hat is gorgious and the suit looks nice...

Originally posted by thissal@Sep 27th, 2003 - 6:49 pm

What is May 17th mean in Norway, other than Flag Day, whatever that means?  What does it mean to you and what are your most vivid memories of that day?  :innocent:
Grunnlovsdag means Constitution Day. On the 17th of may in 1814 Norway got it's Constitution after the dissolution of the union with Denmark for 400 years. Of course we had to wait almost 100 years more until we were completely independent (Norway went directly from a union with Denmark to a union with Sweden) but some saw the break up with Denmark as a chance to become more independent.

Flag Day is an official flag-flying day, in other words, we put out our flags.

/bmt

it really intersting picture of FLag Day in Norway I don't know the tradtion... I am 1/4 Norway myself... My great Grandparents was born in Sebu, Norway later move in to the American in 1899?? or 1900 I am not sure... I am proud my herigate Norway... I only know history about Royal family... Is the first king in 1900 or had King or Queen in Past??? I only know Prince edward's daugther marry to Prince ( I forget his name?) from Denmark or sweden which one I can't remember later become King and Queen . the name is alice??? Forgive me if I forget .. Who can help me.... I hope.. who can....

Thank you
karla

Yes, I read about the blue ones too. And there are ones that are for Christians called Jesus Russ. And all of the buses.

Baby Ingrid is getting so big! She is adorable. She looks a lot like her cousin Maud Angelica!

Thanks for the pictures everybody. I always like to see Mette-Marit in Norway's national costume/outift. It really is quite beautiful and makes me a bit sad that I am not Nordic to have one either.

It's a shame that Martha Louise no longer makes these balcony appearances as well. She always has such lovely outfits for these occasions, too.

Did Martha Louise, Ari and Maud Angelica perhaps participate in National Day events elsewhere in Norway?

Originally posted by Alexandria@May 17th, 2004 - 8:24 pm
Thanks for the pictures everybody. I always like to see Mette-Marit in Norway's national costume/outift. It really is quite beautiful and makes me a bit sad that I am not Nordic to have one either.

It's a shame that Martha Louise no longer makes these balcony appearances as well. She always has such lovely outfits for these occasions, too.

Did Martha Louise, Ari and Maud Angelica perhaps participate in National Day events elsewhere in Norway?
Märtha Louise, Ari Behn and Maud Angelica were not celebrating in public. They celebrated somewhere unknown in private.

I love Mette-Marit's bunad. (Okay, mainly because it's from my area of the country, even if I have another version.) If you notice the silver hanging on her belt? That's a signifier that she's married. Unmarried woman just have black belts with only a silver buckle. (http://gfx.dagbladet.no/dinside/2001/05/16/mette250.jpg Mette-Marit when she had just received her bunad, 14-15 year old. from Dagbladet.)

Originally posted by norwegianne@May 18th, 2004 - 3:32 am
I love Mette-Marit's bunad. (Okay, mainly because it's from my area of the country, even if I have another version.) If you notice the silver hanging on her belt? That's a signifier that she's married. Unmarried woman just have black belts with only a silver buckle. (http://gfx.dagbladet.no/dinside/2001/05/16/mette250.jpg Mette-Marit when she had just received her bunad, 14-15 year old. from Dagbladet.)
Thanks for the info norwegianne.

From the pictures Lena posted, there was a close up of the skirt on Mette-Marit's bunad that was quite lovely. Beautiful detailing on it, yet simple at the same time.

... So this silver signifier ... a good way to let everyone else know that you are single and "available" or otherwise single and ... :innocent:

Originally posted by Alexandria@May 18th, 2004 - 8:27 am
... So this silver signifier ... a good way to let everyone else know that you are single and "available" or otherwise single and ... :innocent:
Yep, at least in my district (which happens to be the same as Mette-Marit in this case). Though I don't know how many boys/men who know about it... at least until after the change is a fact.

There are also headdresses, blouses, etc... that signify single/married in other districts.

Norway's National Day, May 17, 2005

Busy national day for Mette-Marit (May 17)

In the morning she will wave to the childrensparade outside her home with Haakon
After that she will greet the big parade in Oslo together with the rest of the royal family
Then she will fly to Stockholm and meet up with Crown Princess Victoria at Skansen
There she will give a speech at 17.30
17.38 Victoria will give a speech
Then Mette-Marit will hand out the prize in a childrens drawing competition where the theme was "Norway"'

This is part of the centennial celebrations called, "the worlds best neighbours" that will take place at Skansen from 14-18 May

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/kongelige/article1021786.ece

Last edited:
Norway's National Day, May 17, 2005

May 17. Norway's National Day. The day Norwegians celebrate the signing of the Constitution at Eidsvoll in 1814.

The Norwegian Royals have a heavy programme on the day. The Crown Prince and Crown Princess greet the Children's Parade in Asker at Skaugum in the mornings, before driving into Oslo to greet the parade from the Palace balcony with the King and Queen.

Unfortunately, King Harald's presence at the balcony this year is still being debated: Will he be well enough to be there? The palace will let us know soon, according to VG.

Ingrid Alexandra made her first appearance on the balcony last year. Will she repeat it this year as well?

Crown Princess Mette-Marit was supposed to fly to Stockholm to hold a speech with Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, but because of the pregnancy, her trip has been cancelled.

And, as usual: May 17 will be celebrated around the globe, wherever there are Norwegians ;)

Other threads that may be of interest in connection with May 17 celebrations:
Norwegian Royals in Bunads
Norway's National Day: May 17, through the years
May 17, 2004
May 17, 2003

Too bad Mette-Marit's trip to Stockholm was cancelled (but it's of course fully understandable), I might have attended those celebrations for Norway's national day in Stockholm otherwise. But I'm looking forward to all the usual wonderful pics of celebrations in Norway - if there's something Norwegians know how to do - it is to celebrate "syttene mai" (17 May, the national day)! :)

GrandDuchess said:
Too bad Mette-Marit's trip to Stockholm was cancelled (but it's of course fully understandable), I might have attended those celebrations for Norway's national day in Stockholm otherwise. But I'm looking forward to all the usual wonderful pics of celebrations in Norway - if there's something Norwegians know how to do - it is to celebrate "syttene mai" (17 May, the national day)! :)

Well, as far as I know, Crown Princess Victoria will give her speech, so your day may not be completely royal-less ;)

We Norwegians really know how to celebrate May 17. Syttende Mai. It will be my first ever not in Norway, and I'm planning to keep plenty busy with the celebrations in Copenhagen, from 08.00 in the morning, to about 03.30 the next morning. What can I say? We really go all out when we celebrate.

No royal family here, though, except for the name of the Norwegian Church: Kong Haakons Kirke. Maybe they could send Ingrid down? :)

Programme for May 17 http://www.kongehuset.no

Tues. 17.05
08.10 TRH The Crown Prince Regent and the Crown Princess receive the Children's Parade in Asker, Skaugum.

10.30 HRH The Crown Prince Regent, HM the Queen and HRH the Crown Princess receive the Children's parade in Oslo, Palace Balcony.

16.00 HRH the Crown Prince Regent visits Gamle Oslo (Old Oslo)

Last edited by a moderator:
The king won't be appearing on the balcony, either.

I found this just now. I have a suspicion that it might be among one of those that can't be opened. As you can see, both King Harald and CP Haakon has taken of their hats, this indicates that the crowd below is singing the national anthem.

Attachments

• 17504.jpg
    17504.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 460
Happy May17th to everybody! It would be great if you tell us some of the activities that you did today as well.

" Maybe they could send Ingrid down?"

That would be great. Put her in a miniature bunad too!

Great idea Dennism.

Happy National Day!!!

Mette-Marit wore a new bunad outside Skaugum today. A Vest Agder bunad, according to TV2.

A first little pic:

Attachments

• 1222.jpg
    1222.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 663
Here is the first picture of the balcony! Harald is not present.

Attachments

• 482691.jpg
    482691.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 690
More pics of Ingrid and her proud parents. She watched Marius, who passed by with his classmates from the Jansløkka school (the pics are from vg.no)

Pictures from Nettavisen:

Attachments

• Ai1.jpg
    Ai1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 601
  • Ai2.jpg
    Ai2.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 605
  • Ai3.jpg
    Ai3.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 533
  • ia4.jpg