Norway's National Day, May 17: 2003 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just an antsy little boy and Big sister who probably alternatively looks out for him and bosses him. But it is not common at all for older Royal children to fidget and squirm like that It's true. The nose picking was slot worse.

Yes, all that is perfectly known. Still he attends official events from time to time (National days, King´s jubilee, official birthdays...).
It was expected he wouldn´t be with the family this time (just like ML in 1989 and Haakon in 1992), but have been seen and photographed with their classmates in the crowd.

The point being that he isn't royal. The media would have sought out Haakon and ML to get pictures of them at the event. Marius is able to get away with riding on the bus and not getting snapped, because he isn't royal. I am sure as he gets older we will see less of him at events, not because he isnt included, but because he has his own life and no desire to take part. I am sure he will still be active in the family, he seems close to his stepfather and even Haakon's parents, but more behind the scenes as time goes on.

Last edited:
Exactly! Haakon got another son out of the marriage but Norway did not get another Prince:) He can do what he wants as far as his private life basically and has no responsibility to the RF other than not to cause scandal for them.

He can do what he wants to do, still the media is interested in him like some kind of a celebrity!
Thinking he can ride with his friends on that bus and nobody cares is a bit naive...

If the media had cared about a photo they would have got one, before or after the bus. Considering they didn't, there wasn't much demand for one.

If the media had cared about a photo they would have got one, before or after the bus. Considering they didn't, there wasn't much demand for one.

Strange... You mean the media lost its interest since he was confirmed 4 years ago..?!
So I guess the article and filmed report of Marius in that party bus beforehand was a misunderstanding...?
http://www.tv2.no/v/1037813/

Last edited:
https://www.nrk.no/nyheter/1.13469339
Extra security measures on May 17. Oslo municipality and the police will collaborate on additional security measures in connection with the May 17 celebrations, according to the Governing Mayor of Oslo Raymond Johansen, writes Aftenposten. PST has previously considered it as "possible" that Norway may be exposed to terror in 2017.

Lovely pix and it looks like Haakon is growing his beard again !

Those were great photos, as per usual, of the NRF celebrating National Day. Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus look quite grown up! Ingrid Alexandra is blossoming into a pretty young lady, and I'm starting to see more of Mette-Marit in her now. It felt strange not to see Marius with the family, the red carpet seemed empty without him there - but as long as he's enjoying life as a private citizen, that's the main thing.

Can't believe I missed national day. Especially since one of my closest friends is norweigan and always posts pictures of her and her son in Norwegian sweaters. I saw this years pic and never clicked.

Love unlike Sweden, the royal men have to wear costumes too :)

Good idea having Sverre hold the dogs. Keeps him busy.

Both kids looking so grown up. Nice to see the pictures :flowers:

It's not cute anymore! :ohmy:

I agree with you its not cute anymore , if he doesn't want to be there let him go with his school and have 17th May with his class mates.

I agree with you its not cute anymore , if he doesn't want to be there let him go with his school and have 17th May with his class mates.
That is never ever going to happen. Prince Sverre Magnus is only eleven and I think he does a great job of standing for hours at the Skaugum/Palace balcony.

Watch the Skaugum event here: (The dogs are adorable)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyiLHftX3Kc

I was in Oslo and although it was raining a bit, there were thousands of people at Karl Johans gate.

Watch the royal family on the balcony here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZHs54eyw3Q

The NRK/TV2 broadcasts were of course much better than that YouTube crap from Dagbladet.

NRK had two live broadcasts - one from around the country (including Oslo) on NRK1 who lasted from 07:50 AM to 14:00 PM and one from Oslo alone on NRK2 who lasted from from 10:20 AM to 14:00 PM. NRK1 broadcasted highlights from the day from 19:30 PM to 21:00 PM.

This is the Oslo broadcast - see when His Majesty The King and other members of royal family comes out on the balcony at 07:40:
Part 1: https://tv.nrk.no/serie/gratulerer-med-dagen/MUHU17000817/17-05-2017

See when His Majesty The King and other members of royal family leave the balcony at 42:00:
Part 4: https://tv.nrk.no/serie/gratulerer-med-dagen/MUHU17001117/17-05-2017

NRK1 also sent this video several times during the day:
https://www.facebook.com/NRK/videos/1452347741506120/
A video where we see pictures of norwegians who are celebrating while we hear a song from the hip-hop group Klovner I Kamp and some word from Norway's beloved, amazing, caring, warm and inclusive monarch (Yes I love him).

We are approaching May 17th again, so here are some information about the royal part of the celebrations, the security measures and the NRK coverage:

Celebrating May 17th - The Royal House of Norway
It was King Haakon and Queen Maud who introduced the custom of greeting the children’s parade from the Palace balcony in 1906. The custom has been upheld ever since. The only exceptions were in 1910, when the Royal Family was in England for the funeral of Queen Maud’s father, King Edward VII, and during World War II from 1940 to1944.

By 17 May 1945 Crown Prince Olav had returned from London, where he had lived in exile during the war years. That year he was in position on the Palace balcony to greet the 202,000 schoolchildren, who were once again allowed to celebrate 17 May after five years of occupation.

--------------------

Higher security on the 17th of May - Norway Today
Similarly to last year, the police will put in place a number of security measures in Oslo and several other cities in connection with children’s marches on the 17th of May.

Despite the fact that the PST estimates that the threat level is lower than last year,the Oslo police also put in additional safety measures this year.

“We want to use busses and police cars around the children’s march, and you will see armed police,” said Martin Strand, chief executive officer in Oslo Police District to TV 2.

--------------------

The NRK journalist Noman Mubashir with Pakistani background has been chosen as the main commentator for NRK's May 17th broadcast, which has led to some hatred in social media:
Noman Mubashir: – Trist at noen ikke liker å se nordmenn med en annen hudfarge på TV - NRK - Translation

From the article:
"There is a certain group of people in Norway who are not so fond of people with a different skin color - who feel Norwegian and who are on television. And at least not on May 17th. I think it's sad because I'm born and raised here, and I feel Norwegian," said Mubashir in an interview with Fritimen (radio program).

More from the article:
''I was born in Norway by Pakistani parents. I have grown up in a Muslim home and I'm gay,'' he says.

In 2016, King Harald held a speech, which led Mubashir to say (publicly) that he is gay. The speech also received attention outside Norway's borders.

"Norwegians are girls who love girls, boys who love boys, and girls and boys who love each other,'' was some of what the King said in his speech.

"I was so glad that he included all my three identities in this speech. If you are a boy who likes boys, if you believe in Allah or if you have Pakistani parents, then you are Norwegian,'' says Mubashir.
Read the King's speech here:
Garden party in the Palace Park: welcoming speech - The Royal House of Norway

Three points from me:
1. Noman Mubashir is one of my favourite journalists, so I couldn't be more pleased.
2. He has worked at NRK for over 20 years (since he was 22) and has led a number of programmes.
3. And as both the King, politicians from all parties in the Storting (with the exception of the Right-winged Progress Party), commentators on both sides and the general public (through polls) have said several times, Norway is a multicultural society.

--------------------

But it's not sure he gets any program to cover, anyway.

NTB article - poorly translated by InfoGlitz: Tuesday there may be NRK strikes - InfoGlitz
The Norwegian Journalist Team (NJ) is ready to strike 1,700 newsrooms, especially journalists, if no agreement is reached on this year's payroll. In addition, the LO state has announced a strike withdrawal for 614 of its members in NRK, unless the negotiator Spekter offers an offer that is significantly better than the offer on the table, since the mediation was on Monday morning.

The deadline for the agreement It's about midnight to Tuesday, but it's not unusual for such negotiations to take place for several hours in overtime, when the parties still have something to discuss and the mediator sees opportunities for an agreement, even if the deadline has expired.

Strike could possibly also refer to the coverage of May 17 on NRK.
From me: Dennis Vareide (also involved in the May 17th broadcast) said to the VG Newspaper that he doubted there will be any broadcast, but hoped he was wrong.
The possible strike will affect most news related programs (including the British Royal Wedding broadcast), and will according to Communications Advisor Lasse Gimnes (who was speaking to the media journal Kampanje), ''create a lot of anger and despair.''

Last edited:
We are approaching May 17th again, so here are some information about the royal part of the celebrations, the security measures and the NRK coverage:

Celebrating May 17th - The Royal House of Norway

King Carl Johan, who ruled over Norway and Sweden from 1818 to 1844, regarded the May 17th celebrations – and Norway’s independent Constitution – as revolutionary acts and a provocation against Sweden. In 1828 he prohibited the celebration of Constitution Day.

It must have been quite perplexing why Carl Johan was not highly esteemed in Norway. ;)

However, following the death of King Carl Johan in 1844, there was a change of strategy. In 1845, his successor, King Oscar I attended the May 17th celebrations, and greeted the banner parade from the palatial estate, where the Royal Family stayed during visits to Christiania.

It was King Haakon and Queen Maud who introduced the custom of greeting the children’s parade from the Palace balcony in 1906. The custom has been upheld ever since.

Did the kings greet parades from the estate from 1846 to 1905, or were they absent from the May 17th celebrations of that period?

Marking special days or festivals with celebrations involving parades with banners, music and singing was common in the past. A school headmaster, Peter Qvam, is thought to have come up with the idea of holding the first children’s parade in Norway in 1869. […] The following year, in 1870, the first children’s parade marched to the Palace, stopping to sing the royal anthem beneath the Palace balcony.

Only boys, some 1,200 in all and most of them from Qvam’s school in Christiania, took part in the first children’s parade. It was not until 1889 that girls, pupils from Mrs Ragna Nielsen’s school, were allowed to join the parade. […] The current celebration of the graduates-to-be from upper secondary school dates back to 1905, when the graduating class took part in the May 17th parade for the first time.

I think Mr. Qvam's suggestion for a National Day celebration was superb, seeing as a children's parade is unlikely to become embroiled in political polemics as the early nineteenth century celebrations apparently were, but I cannot understand why girls were banned for two decades.

The possible strike will affect most news related programs (including the British Royal Wedding broadcast), and will according to Communications Advisor Lasse Gimnes (who was speaking to the media journal Kampanje), ''create a lot of anger and despair.''

Well, at least there will be a little intrigue this National Day.

Did the kings greet parades from the estate from 1846 to 1905, or were they absent from the May 17th celebrations of that period?
No, I don't think either Oscar I, or Oscar II was in Norway on May 17th in that period. - But I asked TV2's Royal Expert Kjell Arne Totland in a private message on twitter, and he said the same, though he wasn't 100% sure.

--------------------

Well, at least there will be a little intrigue this National Day.
Well, that's to put it mildly. :flowers::flowers:

Around 1700 NRK employees were called out on strike at 13:00 (12:00 UK-time) today.

What will this mean? Well, it will mean that NRK's traditional and extensive May 17th broadcast (sent every year since 1959) will be canceled.
It will most likely affect the Royal Wedding broadcast as well (if the strike last that long).

Here is an English article about it: NRK workers go on strike - News in English
Around 1,700 employees of Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) were called out on strike from 1pm on Tuesday, a move that will result in far less broadcasting of news and public affairs in Norway. The strike comes right before Norway's Constitution Day on the 17th of May, when NRK normally broadcasts coverage of celebrations all over the country, from early morning to late at night.

That now seem unlikely to be offered this year. National mediator Torkjel Nesheim declared just before noon on Tuesday that the two sides in the labour conflict were too far apart to continue mediation. Negotiations were thus halted between employers' organization Spekter, representing NRK's management, and the employees' labour organization Norsk Journalistlag.

--------------------

How are the reactions?
1. Well, most people are pretty pissed about it.
2. The right-winged Progress Party (in government) wants NRK to pay back the television licence they are saving on the strike (no, that party isn't exactly known for being serious).
3. The centred Centre Party (in opposition) wants the NRK union to set in the employees who was supposed to work on the May 17th broadcast, because it is ''important for the nation.''

Some information about NRK:
1. Norsk Rikskringkasting (the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation) is the Norwegian state-owned (licence fee funded) radio and television public broadcasting company, and the largest media organisation in Norway.
2. Nine out of ten Norwegians uses NRK's media platforms on a daily basis.
3. NRK1 is Norway's oldest and largest television channel.
4. Dagsrevyen (sent every evening at 19:00) is Norway's most viewed news-programme.
5. NRK.no is the second most-visited Norwegian website, surpassed only by VG Nett (the website of Norway's leading tabloid VG).

Last edited:
Tomorrow's happenings:

8:00 (7:00 UK-time): The CP Family will appear on the steps of their official (but privately owned) residence Skaugum in Asker municipality to greet the children's parade from the Asker schools for about 50 minutes.

10:30 (9:30 UK-time): The Regent Couple and the CP Family will appear on the balcony at the Royal Palace in Oslo to greet the children's parade from the Oslo schools for about 3 hours.

*The royals will walk to each side of the balcony, before taking centre stage.
*The Staff Band of the Norwegian Armed Forces will march into the Palace Square.
*The leader of the May 17th committee of Oslo will speak.
*The Staff Band will play both the Royal and National anthems.
*The Staff Band will march out of the Palace Square.
*The children's parades will march below the balcony.
*The Marching Band of the King's Guards will march into the Palace Square.
*They will play ''Gud signe vårt dyre fedreland'' (God Bless Our Dear Fatherland), who is often referred to as Norway's "national psalm''.
*The Marching Band of the King's Guards will march out of the Palace Square, while playing Gammel jegermarsj (Old Hunter's March).
* The royals will again walk to each side of the balcony, before the King will receive parademarsj (Parade march) from the Guard (on sentry duty at the Palace Square) at the right side of the balcony.
*The royals will again take centre stage at the balcony, before walking inside the palace.

The television-coverage:

Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK):
NRK1: Live from the Palace Square in Oslo and around the country from 07:50 to 14:00, and highlights from 19:30 to 21:00.
NRK2: Live from the Palace Square in Oslo from 10:20 to 14:00.
Well, that was how it was planned, before the strike.

The TV2 Group:
TV2: Live from the Palace Square in Oslo and around the country from 07:00 to 13:00.
TV2 News Channel: Live from the Palace Square in Oslo and around the country - throughout the day.

The competition between NRK and TV2:

Even though most people are out celebrating, NRK had an average of 462,000 viewers last year, while TV2 only had 94,000.

So, will the NRK strike benefit TV2? Well, not according to TV-expert Jarle Thalberg (the below article is from yesterday, BTW):
Tror ikke NRK-streik vil gagne TV 2 - Dagens Næringsliv
''We have seen that if NRK and TV2 broadcast exactly the same at major events, about 80-90% of the TV-viewers will choose NRK," says Jarle Thalberg.

He estimates that a maximum of 100,000 viewers could surf over to TV2 from NRK, but have little faith in a big viewing-boom for TV 2's part.

"Someone will surely move to TV2 to get a more updated broadcast, but as long as NRK has a broadcast at all, I think they will have more viewers than TV 2," he said.
Well, I agree. - And we must also remember that the TV2 broadcast is much less extensive than that of NRK.

Will TV2 change its broadcast, due to the NRK strike? No, not according to their Channel Director Trygve Rønningen:
Q: For example, TV 2 will not use the opportunity to broadcast the children's parade from Karl Johan (the main street of the city of Oslo, leading up to the palace) as a whole, when the state channel can not now complete the traditional part of the coverage.

A: "We will not change our broadcast plans, due to the situation in NRK. That would be completely untimely,'' says Trygve Rønningen.

--------------------

NRK has now announced that they will send live on NRK1 from the Palace Square from 09.30 to 13.45, but much of it will be without commentary, and there will be no coverage from other places in the country.
They have also announced that they will send live from Windsor for the Royal Wedding, but most likely without commentary.

NTB article for NRK with google translation:
NRK sender barnetoget i Oslo på 17. mai - NTB/NRK - translation

And as one can see in these 3 articles, the striking NRK employees are pretty pissed by the fact that NRK has decided to go ahead with a broadcast tomorrow (although it will be very reduced):
Reagerer på NRKs 17. mai-sending: – Mange er provoserte - ABC - translation

VG doesn't allow me to add google translations, so use your own:
Streikerammede NRK kjører amputert 17. mai-sending, Fredrik Solvang reagerer - VG

Haddy Njie og Dennis Vareide leder 17. mai-sending under streik - har fått munnkurv av NRK - VG

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks eya! :flowers:

My bunad is on, and I'm ready to party.

--------------------

Today's royal events:

From yesterday's post:
8:00 (7:00 UK-time): The CP Family will appear on the steps of their official (but privately owned) residence Skaugum in Asker municipality to greet the children's parade from the Asker schools for about 50 minutes.

10:30 (9:30 UK-time): The Regent Couple and the CP Family will appear on the balcony at the Royal Palace in Oslo to greet the children's parade from the Oslo schools for about 3 hours.

*The royals will walk to each side of the balcony, before taking centre stage.
*The Staff Band of the Norwegian Armed Forces will march into the Palace Square.
*The leader of the May 17th committee of Oslo will speak.
*The Staff Band will play both the Royal and National anthems.
*The Staff Band will march out of the Palace Square.
*The children's parades will march below the balcony.
*The Marching Band of the King's Guards will march into the Palace Square.
*They will play ''Gud signe vårt dyre fedreland'' (God Bless Our Dear Fatherland), who is often referred to as Norway's "national psalm''.
*The Marching Band of the King's Guards will march out of the Palace Square, while playing Gammel jegermarsj (Old Hunter's March).
* The royals will again walk to each side of the balcony, before the King will receive parademarsj (Parade march) from the Guard (on sentry duty at the Palace Square) at the right side of the balcony.
*The royals will again take centre stage at the balcony, before walking inside the palace.

--------------------

The television-coverage:

The TV2 broadcast:
07:00 to 08:00 and from 11:00 to 14:00 (one hour longer than planned): Live on TV2 and TV2 News Channel from the Palace Square with News anchors Cathrine Fossum and Rune Kjos.

08:00 to 11:00: Live on TV2 and TV2 News Channel with Peter Moi Bubresko and Desta Marie Beeder from ''Good Morning Norway'' (TV2's breakfast show) from the studio at Aker Brygge in Oslo.

TV2's eminent royal expert Kjell Arne Totland will be live throughout the day (first from Skaugum and then from the palace).

One can watch it live here: TV2 live

The NRK broadcast:
09:30 to 13:45: Live on NRK1 from the Palace Square with Haddy N'jie and Dennis Vareide. The broadcast will be very reduced, due to the strike.

One can watch it live here: NRK live

--------------------

One can also watch it live on VG: VG live

--------------------

And here is a video from the CP Family's whole appearance at Skaugum earlier today:
Kronprinsfamilien hilser på barnetoget på Skaugum

--------------------

But now to the Queen and her special day:

Oskar Aanmoen @OAanmoen
Today it is 50 years ago since Sonja was in the palace for the first time during the Norwegian National Day celebration: Oskar Aanmoen - twitter

Blog article about it from Kjell Arne Totland - with google translation:
50 år siden Sonjas debut - TV2 - translation

And if someone wonders: Yes, Sonja Haraldsen celebrated May 17th with the royal family for the first time in 1968, but it was not her first appearance on the balcony, because that happened on March 19th (the same year), when she became engaged to CP Harald.

--------------------

Edit: The royals are now at the balcony. - The ladies are in bunads, due to the Queen's 50th May 17th anniversary (watch it live in the links above).

Last edited:
Ingrid is very pretty and no longer a little girl !

Oskar Aanmoen @OAanmoen
Today it is 50 years ago since Sonja was in the palace for the first time during the Norwegian National Day celebration: Oskar Aanmoen - twitter

Blog article about it from Kjell Arne Totland - with google translation:
50 år siden Sonjas debut - TV2 - translation

And if someone wonders: Yes, Sonja Haraldsen celebrated May 17th with the royal family for the first time in 1968, but it was not her first appearance on the balcony, because that happened on March 19th (the same year), when she became engaged to CP Harald.

--------------------

Edit: The royals are now at the balcony. - The ladies are in bunads, due to the Queen's 50th May 17th anniversary (watch it live in the links above).

That is a nice gesture to the Queen, and I also appreciate the traditional top hats worn by the men.

Why does Prince Sverre Magnus appear on the balcony while Princess Märtha Louise and Princess Astrid do not?

That is a nice gesture to the Queen, and I also appreciate the traditional top hats worn by the men.

Why does Prince Sverre Magnus appear on the balcony while Princess Märtha Louise and Princess Astrid do not?

Because neither of them are the child of the future King. As far as I remember ML gave up her official duties for the royal family (at least on a regular basis) when she got married.

Why does Prince Sverre Magnus appear on the balcony while Princess Märtha Louise and Princess Astrid do not.
Well, Princess Astrid and the late Princess Ragnhild stopped being members of the Royal House when they married ''non-royal'' men.
The media didn't want this to happen to Märtha when she married in 2002, but the King meant it would have been unfair to his sisters if she had retained her position, while they had to let go of theirs.

That means:
They are no longer Royal Highnesses.
Their birthdays are not an official flag day anymore.
They are no longer on the balcony on May 17th.
They are not required to perform royal duties.
They does not receive money from the state.
They have to pay taxes.

It was the same with Sverre. The King and Haakon meant it would have been unfair to Raghnild, Astrid and Märtha if he was to retain his position after he marries. So, therefore, Haakon and MM thought it was best that he was born without being a member of the Royal House, because then he don't have to go through the same process as the princesses had to do, when they lost their positions.

But to your question: I think the King decided that Sverre (despite not being a member of the Royal House) was to appear on the balcony until he marries. - Why? Because that has been the case for all other unmarried children of the monarch/heir, and the King didn't want to change that (at least, that's what some commentators have said about it).

--------------------

Back to to the celebrations:

Thanks to Iceflower & An Ard Ri for the photos!

Well, like most other Norwegians, I celebrated from early morning to late night yesterday.
The weather was great around the country - and the crowds were out in force (also in Trondheim where I was).

But now to the royal stuff:

The NRK1 broadcast: Only coverage from Oslo without commentary, due to the strike, but very good live pictures from the balcony and the children's parade.

Watch when the royals come out on the balcony at 01:01:56, and when they prepare to walk inside the palace at 03:52:20 in this video: Gratulerer med dagen! - NRK

--------------------

The TV2 broadcast: Well, the commentary from the hosts, the guests, and royal expert Kjell Arne Totland was great, very pro-monarchy and pro-Norway, as usual. - However, the few live pictures from the balcony and the children's parade was pretty poor, also that as usual.

The broadcast is only available for TV2 subscriptions.

--------------------

Royal House article - with photos and google translation: Gratulerer med dagen! - kongehuset.no - translation

--------------------

Scanpix photos:

Three photos of the children's parade and the large crowds in Karl Johans gate (the main street of the city of Oslo, leading up to the palace): photo 1 - photo 2 - photo 3

Two nice photos of Their Majesties at the balcony: photo 1 - photo 2

--------------------

Royal Central article with photos taken by Oskar Aanmoen: Norway’s Royal Family celebrates National Day – Royal Central
On Thursday, Norway observed its national day, a day when Norway celebrates its constitution, which, just behind the constitution to the United States, is the oldest in the world still in use. The day was celebrated from early morning until late in the evening, and the Royal Family obviously has a central role in celebrating Norway and all that is Norwegian.
Several tens of thousands of people stood along Oslo’s parade street and in the Palace Square to see the Royal Family. King Harald, Queen Sonja, Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Prince Sverre Magnus and Princess Ingrid Alexandra represented the Norwegian Royal Family during the event in Oslo. Everyone cheered, and they were excited to see the King.

He took a nice photo of the King's 86-year-old sister Princess Astrid, who always follows the children's parade from a window at the palace with her dog: photo

--------------------

VG has counted which royal who waved the most during the 3 hours on the balcony (yes, I know, that is VG for you):
Hvilken kongelig vinker mest på 17. mai? - VG video

The King: 338 times.

The Queen: 520 times.

CP Haakon: 482 times.

CP MM: 554 times.

P Ingrid: 296 times.

P Sverre 111 times.

--------------------

Well, that was that, now I have a wedding to follow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom