Norway's National Day, May 17: 2003 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wonderful: CP Mette-Marit insisted that a lady in a wheelchair was brought an umbrella during that rainy weather.

Video Videomagasinet | Budstikka

In this link you find more videos from Skaugum when they greeted the childrens' parade.

What a wonderful thing for Mette-Marit to do. Good for her!!

Holy Cow has Marius ever shot up since I last saw him. He's taller than both his Mom and Step Dad now.

Wasn't it only yesterday he was that adorable little cutie Pageboy at their Wedding? Yikes does time ever fly...

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

National Day 2016

Tomorrow is National Day :flowers:

17.05.2016 The children's parade in Asker
Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess greet the children's parade in Asker with their family outside Skaugum (08:15).

17.05.2016 The children's parade in Oslo
The Royal Familiy greets the children's parade in Oslo from the palace balcony (10:30).

I´m so exiting to see Marius (hopefully) in his traditional red A-level-student´s/russ suit and hat!!!

I'm going to be in Oslo today, and I really look forward to it.

Both NRK and TV2 transmits live through the day, but it can not be seen abroad.

But maybe VG's live link works:
VGTV

It looks like they are all waving at something across the road! :ohmy:

:previous: Something was making them wave to their left instead of their right. Possibly camera crews? Mette-Marit seems to have her hands full with a fidgety son and a really unhappy daughter. Neither of them is smiling much at the parade.

They are watching a parade. They are waving in the direction the parade people are walking from. If they waved in the other direction, they would be waving to their backs.

Prince Sverre Magnus of Norway, Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway, Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway and Crown Prince Haakon of Norway celebrate National Day on May 17, 2016 in Asker, Norway.

picture gallery

I-A looks like she has braces on her teeth, could be why she isn't smiling, I was alway self conscientious of mine and didn't smile a lot , Sverre has always been a rascal ��

Okay, I may be annoying some here, but so be it.

I think the royal children are now so old that yawning the jaws 180 degrees and picking their noses at events is a major no, no!
It's simply bad manners and they ought to have been taught from early age that that simply is not acceptable. - It's not acceptable for ordinary children that age as well.

Until they are four-five it's cute, but that's when it has to end and children aged six and up are old enough to understand.
The occasional slip happens, but this is not the first time.

So IMO this is something Haakon and Mette-Marit should crack down on, - hard!

Last edited:
Okay, I may be annoying some here, but so be it.

I think the royal children are now so old that yawning the jaws 180 degrees and picking their noses at events is a major no, no!
It's simply bad manners and they ought to have been taught from early age that that simply is not acceptable. - It's not acceptable for ordinary children that age as well.

Until they are four-five it's cute, but that's when it has to end and children aged six and up are old enough to understand.
The occasional slip happens, but this is not the first time.

So IMO this is something Haakon and Mette-Marit should crack down on, - hard!

Exactly, couldn´t agree more! I really don´t know what happened. I remember the family lighting the christmas tree on Trafalgar Square back in 2005, I think it was. IA, a very small girl of about 2, tried to pick her nose. MM tried very hard to prevent her little daughter from doing so and helped her in using a handkerchief. I remember that scene vividly! In the last years I got the impression these children could do whatever they wanted to....
Every child, but royal children in particular, should be educated to behave in public, at least in terms of very basic manners!

I would be embarrassed for all my school friends to see that and even worse have all over the net for ever. SM most likely is also.

Kronprinsparet «rullet» med russen - Kronprins Haakon - VG

Could some norwegian give a short summary of this article? I understand that Haakon wears his old Russ-suit from 1992.

Why are norwegian students after their A-levels called "Russen"? What´s behind this tradition, the red colours of the outfits, the hat, the stick?

A gallery:
http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/17-mai/kongefamilien-hilser-paa-rekordtog/a/23685615/

Large gallery from pure people (yawning subject again....):
http://www.purepeople.com/article/f...erre-magnus-fatigue-marius-dispense_a184744/1

Last edited:
It's a shame not to see Marius, I enjoy seeing the Crown Princely family all together but I guess now he is an adult he can decide to step back from the limelight.

He is 19.... Being seen with Mom, Dad and the little kids and dressed in costume is the opposite of "Cool"��

Yes, of course. But still I expected to see some photos with his classmates within the parade (similar like Haakon back in 1992)...!
Anyway he was on tour in that A-level-bus.

One upside to being the non-royal member of the crown prince family, Marius doesn't have to attend such events if he chooses. SM will likely wish he was his big brother, when he gets to that age and standing in costume for all the world to see is not very appealing to a teenage boy. I bet Marius is happy he is on the bus having a good time with his friends, and none are missing the cameras on them.

It's been a busy and stressful May 17th day in Oslo, but a great atmosphere.

Kronprinsparet «rullet» med russen - Kronprins Haakon - VG

Could some norwegian give a short summary of this article? I understand that Haakon wears his old Russ-suit from 1992.

Why are norwegian students after their A-levels called "Russen"? What´s behind this tradition, the red colours of the outfits, the hat, the stick?

A gallery:
Kongefamilien hilser på rekordtog - 17. mai - VG

Large gallery from pure people (yawning subject again....):
Fête nationale norvégienne : Le prince Sverre Magnus fatigué, Marius dispensé

The article:
The Crown Prince Couple took it whole the way out when they "rolled" with Asker-russen Wednesday night and Crown Prince Haakon wore his old Russ-suit from 1992.

It was the Normandy bus (a russ bus) from Nesbru who got the special visit from the Crown Prince Couple, writes Budstikka paper.

And it was hardly a coincidence - for one of those on the bus is Crown Princess Mette Marit's son Marius Borg Høiby. Another of those on the bus is Thomas Hayes who plays William in the popular television series "Shame."

Obviously it was a successful evening for the Crown Prince Couple because Mette Marit posted a image of herself and the Crown Prince on her instagram account labeled "Is there more people who is looking forward to the 17th of May?".

The Crown Princess Couple is not completely unfamiliar with the russ bus "Normandy" which according to Budstikka paper was parked at Skaugum while it was refurbished and prepared for the Russ Time (graduation time).

Then the bus was called Hemingway - and had already before the Russ-season started, launched eight songs and gained over 7,000 followers on Instagram.

Read more about the the russ here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russefeiring

Last edited:
What do you mean?:ermm:

As I expected Marius absent. Sverre Magnus as usual trying not to fidget around...:lol:
Marius is probably having a ball with his friends but it's quite sad not to see him there.

They are watching a parade. They are waving in the direction the parade people are walking from. If they waved in the other direction, they would be waving to their backs.
I was actually talking about the kids in the parade. They seemed to be smiling and waving at something on the left, the CP Family were on their right.

On a different note, while I don't like to make negative comments about children, in fact, I think this is the first, I was shocked at the behaviour of the children. They seemed whiny, bored and the fact that they would rather be anywhere but there was obvious to see. I felt for Mette Marit as both children seemed to be pulling and tugging at her all the time while she seemed to be turning them back around and telling them to smile and wave or wave their flags. Meanwhile, Haakon seemed blithely oblivious to the atrocious behaviour of his children.

Last edited:
Am I wrong in assuming there are people on both sides of the street :ohmy: Maybe a stupid question, but here when we have a parade, there are people lining both sides. I just assumed the kids were waving back and forth (some facing the royals to wave) as they went.

One upside to being the non-royal member of the crown prince family, Marius doesn't have to attend such events if he chooses. SM will likely wish he was his big brother, when he gets to that age and standing in costume for all the world to see is not very appealing to a teenage boy. I bet Marius is happy he is on the bus having a good time with his friends, and none are missing the cameras on them.

Yes, all that is perfectly known. Still he attends official events from time to time (National days, King´s jubilee, official birthdays...).
It was expected he wouldn´t be with the family this time (just like ML in 1989 and Haakon in 1992), but have been seen and photographed with their classmates in the crowd.

Back
Top Bottom