Norway's National Day, May 17: 2003 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The programme for the day:
08.15: The Crown Princely Family greeting the children's parade in Asker, at Skaugum.

10.30 The Royal House greets the children's parade in Oslo, from the balcony at the Palace. (Royal House= King, Queen, Crown Prince, Crown Princess and Hereditary Princess)

16.30 The King and Queen visits Vestre Aker Borough in Oslo.

I can't wait to see how the Princely children have grown, especially Sverre. He was so cute last time we saw him, he is one of my favorites!!!

How do you pronouce his name and has he been granted an HH Or HRH yet???

The day is here, and I have just watched the Crown Prince family outside of Skaugum. They all looked lovely and as last year they all wore Bunads. The Crown Prince and Prince Sverre Magnus both wore Asker Bunads, while The Crown Princess, Princess Ingrid Alexandra and Marius wore, and I hope I remember corectly, Agder Bunads.

It's cold and the weather is cloudly and slighty snowy of all things.

Ingrid Alexandra looked like it was way to early in the morning for her, and that she did not want to be out in the snowy:ohmy: weather, she was quite shy and hiding a little behind Haakons legs and he had to lift her up much of the time. Sverre Magnus looked very calm and unaffected with it all and stood by himself, atleast the parts I saw it.

Last edited:
NRK Nett-TV - hastighetsmåling

I did remember wrong in my earlier post, it is Princess Ingrid Alexandra who wore a Asker bunad, and not Prince Sverre Magnus. He wore an Agder bunad, like the rest of the family did.

This a video of The Crown Prince family at Skaugum, and underneat the video there are two links, both showing live from Oslo and other places in Norway, and one can sometimes see glimpses of The Royal Family.

I think they all look lovely, and I really like the Bunad the Crown Princess is wearing. Also she and Princess Ingrid Alexandra look beautiful at the balcony. Prince Sverre Magnus has grow a lot, and my first thought when I saw him was that he looks like Marius, and I have always thought he resembels his fathers family.

Last edited:
Very cute pics from PPE

PPE Agency

I feel sorry for Ingrid. ;) She looks really annoyed by waking up so early and standing outside in the snow.

On the Balcony MM wears a light blue /grayish coat and the cream colored hat.
Sonja recycled a white/creamcolored small hat and wears the hideous ghost cape again ;) .
Live stream by NRK:

Last edited:
Mette Marit actually looks nice with that hat. Usually I don't like hair to show under such a thing, but considering that MM hair is so beautiful she is able to pull it off IMO .

Forgive my ignorance, but were Marius and Sverre not included on the balcony? I don't see them. Sverre really looks like a little viking (well, the impression I have of them), very cute.

The weather seems far from ideal though, as is the Queen's fashion sense of today.

--

I suppose this would be an appropriate youtube clip to mark the occassion:

YouTube - The National Anthem of Norway - A Capella

Last edited:
Wow, it's actually snowing in May! Unbelieveble. I can imagine Ingrids annoyment, I wouldn't be too amused either, haha. The pictures are lovely anyhow, thanks everyone!

Forgive my ignorance, but were Marius and Sverre not included on the balcony? I don't see them. Sverre really looks like a little viking (well, the impression I have of them), very cute.

No, they weren't. The king decided that it was just going to be the Royal House on the balcony and not the royal family - ie. it's the King, the Queen, the Crown Prince & spouse and the heir. It's part of the thing they have about keeping it small.

Here is anothyer link, this time of the Royal House at the Palace. The King, The Queen, The Crown Prince, The Crown Princess and Princess Ingrid Alexandra, as well as the people greeting the royals and singing:) The young Princess is on her mothers arm, waveing to the people while they sing. She looks very sweet.

Last edited:
Here is anothyer link, this time of the Royal House at the Palace. The King, The Queen, The Crown Prince, The Crown Princess and Princess Ingrid Alexandra, as well as the people greeting the royals and singing:) The young Princess is on her mothers arm, waveing to the people while they sing. She looks very sweet.

I'm afraid you forgot to post the link vestfoldilja :flowers:

So if I get it correctly, little Sverre is not part of the Royal House? I'm confused :eek:

No, Prince Sverre Magnus, as well as Princess Martha is not part of the Royal House. The Royal House is only The King, The Queen, The Crown Prince, The Crown Princess and Princess Ingrid Alexandra; The Monarch and his heirs with consorts. Prince Sverre Magnus and Princess Martha with her family and the King's sisters and Marius is part of the Royal Family. This is also in part at least why Prince Sverre Magnus is only His Highness, though only in English, and not His Royal Highness. In Norwegian he is only titled as Prince.

All three kids looked rather cold and annoyed, IMO. But the outfits are nice, and hopefully all Norwegians have enjoyed the day.

I look forward to these pics every year! I love little Sverre! He is one of my absolute favorites among the young royals. Just something about him, he appears to have quite the personality. His sister Ingrid on the other hand seems to be getting more and more shy. I hope she will grow out of that within time. Because if she doesn't her future could be much harder.

I can't believe Sonja wore the ribbon on the wrong side! How does that happen to the Queen? Strange!

All in all I thought every one looked nice considering the weather. I loved the balcony scene the best. Wonderful color for MM and I liked her hair.

Happy National Day Norway!!!!!

Last edited:
They all look really nice. I love Mette-Marit's hair, hat and Ingrid's little pink bow.
Magnus has such a cute face, somehow he looks like the "typical little prince". I think it is a little sad though that he can't be on the balcony.

Thanks for all the links!!!!!!!!!!! I love this family :wub:

Too bad the weather was bad. I've read that state meteorologists were predicting that this will be the coldest 17th of May in 50 years. Story here.

I think Ingrid was not feeling well in Skaugum because of the snow. :ermm: http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/May2008/PPE08051726.jpg But she looked happier in the palace balcony.

More articles and pics here:

Mottok barnetoget i snøvær på Skaugum - ba.no

Mottok barnetoget i snøvær på Skaugum - VG Nett

Does anyone know how long the parade in Skaugum usually lasts?

The parade usualle last between 3 and 4 hours, depending on how many different schools are walking in the parade. I think this year it was around four hours. Princess Ingrid Alexandra is the only one you don't have to be on the balcony for the whole period of time. She is here from teh beginnin, when the Royal House first greets the people and for the singing og the Natinal Anthem. Then she goes inside after a half an hour to an hour I think, and come back outside sometime before the last schools walk before the palace. Then she goes inside with the others after the Royal guards have ended the parade and the Royals have greeted the people and their cheers one more time on all three sides of the balcony. The little Princess smiled real cute during this part:)

It is a long time to stand there, and especially yesterday when it was cold, but I think it does mean quite a lot to the people that they do. When the King was sick and did not stand on the balcony some years ago, many people, children as well, who was watching from outside the Palace and/or walked in the parade was dispointed over not seeing The King.

Another link, this one is from the Parade in Oslo. It takes some time before the Royals arrive, so be patient and also at the end of the video there is a nice pictures from when the Royals wave and receive cheers and well wishes from the people.

Last edited:
Royal family is elegant dress and balcony Princess Ingrid!!! His first balcony at National day 17 may 2008. Princess Astrid is with photos and Mette-Marits mother. Princess Astrid is much near royal family and relations at King Harald.

Sverre and Magnus certainly look like brothers.

edit:
I meant Sverre and Marius look alike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom