Norway's National Day, May 17: 2003 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I said it every 17th May, Norway has one of the best national outfit, the bunad is gorgeous.

I love the photo of Astrid and her dog!

The VG stuff, I don't know which one is more tired, to wave several hundred times in 3 hours or count it. :lol:

Has that time of year passed already?! Great to see the family at the celebrations; and I always like how the four legged relatives are included too! Their Norwegian flag bows are super cute.
Ingrid Alexandra looks a lot more like MM now; I love her curls. Sverre Magnus seems to favour Haakon more.

Well, Princess Astrid and the late Princess Ragnhild stopped being members of the Royal House when they married ''non-royal'' men.
The media didn't want this to happen to Märtha when she married in 2002, but the King meant it would have been unfair to his sisters if she had retained her position, while they had to let go of theirs.

It was the same with Sverre. The King and Haakon meant it would have been unfair to Raghnild, Astrid and Märtha if he was to retain his position after he marries. So, therefore, Haakon and MM thought it was best that he was born without being a member of the Royal House, because then he don't have to go through the same process as the princesses had to do, when they lost their positions.

But to your question: I think the King decided that Sverre (despite not being a member of the Royal House) was to appear on the balcony until he marries. - Why? Because that has been the case for all other unmarried children of the monarch/heir, and the King didn't want to change that (at least, that's what some commentators have said about it).

--------------------

Apart from that I think it would be quite difficult to explain to a 8, 10 or 12 year old lad why his elder sister is allowed with their family to celebrate this important day on the Palace balcony while he is not...!:ermm:
And I think one cannot say these days "Well, Magnus, your sister is, as you know, the heiress to the throne while you are not; that´s why Ingrid is with us on the balcony and you can´t be!" :whistling::eek:

Has that time of year passed already?! Great to see the family at the celebrations; and I always like how the four legged relatives are included too! Their Norwegian flag bows are super cute.
Ingrid Alexandra looks a lot more like MM now; I love her curls. Sverre Magnus seems to favour Haakon more.

I quite agree with you on your first part. But I think Ingrid was and still is the spitting image of her father (and paternal grandmother!). Just look at her eyes and mouth! Magnus, on the other hand, looks like the chubby;):whistling:, smaller version of MM´s brothers.
But, if you look at older photographs of Haakon from the mid 1980s, he had his "chubby-period", too, when he was about 12-15. So, in that regard there might be a similarity between father and son.

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/391909787952_/PRINZESSIN-M%C3%84RTHA-LOUISE-PRINZ-
HAAKON-Adel-Royal-ORIGINAL-PODSTCARD-OSLO.jpg

https://78.media.tumblr.com/17b7b4ef7fb95ce92cda747bccf0a1c7/tumblr_p443gahhxs1usv0who1_500.jpg

http://www.skiensantikvariat.no/image/cache/data/Kunst/img704-1024x768.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I quite agree with you on your first part. But I think Ingrid was and still is the spitting image of her father (and paternal grandmother!). Just look at her eyes and mouth! Magnus, on the other hand, looks like the chubby;):whistling:, smaller version of MM´s brothers.
But, if you look at older photographs of Haakon from the mid 1980s, he had his "chubby-period", too, when he was about 12-15. So, in that regard there might be a similarity between father and son.

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/391909787952_/PRINZESSIN-M%C3%84RTHA-LOUISE-PRINZ-

https://78.media.tumblr.com/17b7b4ef7fb95ce92cda747bccf0a1c7/tumblr_p443gahhxs1usv0who1_500.jpg

Haha, very good comparison!
Chubby times during 12-14 will "grow out" soon!
BYe Bine

Apart from that I think it would be quite difficult to explain to a 8, 10 or 12 year old lad why his elder sister is allowed with their family to celebrate this important day on the Palace balcony while he is not...!:ermm:
And I think one cannot say these days "Well, Magnus, your sister is, as you know, the heiress to the throne while you are not; that´s why Ingrid is with us on the balcony and you can´t be!" :whistling::eek:
Yes, of course. - But according to Haakon, Sverre isn't that keen on being on the balcony, anyway.
So, if he had the opportunity to decide himself, he probably wouldn't have stood there.

Well, Princess Astrid and the late Princess Ragnhild stopped being members of the Royal House when they married ''non-royal'' men.
The media didn't want this to happen to Märtha when she married in 2002, but the King meant it would have been unfair to his sisters if she had retained her position, while they had to let go of theirs.

That means:
They are no longer Royal Highnesses.
Their birthdays are not an official flag day anymore.
They are no longer on the balcony on May 17th.
They are not required to perform royal duties.
They does not receive money from the state.
They have to pay taxes.

It was the same with Sverre. The King and Haakon meant it would have been unfair to Raghnild, Astrid and Märtha if he was to retain his position after he marries. So, therefore, Haakon and MM thought it was best that he was born without being a member of the Royal House, because then he don't have to go through the same process as the princesses had to do, when they lost their positions.

But the difference is that Pricness Märtha Louise and Pricne Sverre Magnus are in the line of succession which the King's sisters never where.

I used to think Ingrid Alexandra strongly resembled Haakon; but as she's gotten older she's favoured MM more to me. It's interesting how different eyes see different resemblances!

That means:
They are no longer Royal Highnesses.
Their birthdays are not an official flag day anymore.
They are no longer on the balcony on May 17th.
They are not required to perform royal duties.
They does not receive money from the state.
They have to pay taxes.

But to your question: I think the King decided that Sverre (despite not being a member of the Royal House) was to appear on the balcony until he marries. - Why? Because that has been the case for all other unmarried children of the monarch/heir, and the King didn't want to change that (at least, that's what some commentators have said about it).

Thank you, Royal Norway. :flowers: If the commentators can be believed, it is a bit inconsistent to decide that Prince Sverre Magnus should be born without membership of the Royal House, the title Royal Highness, or a flag day to avoid the process of losing his position upon marriage, and afterwards decide that he should lose his position in the national day celebrations only when he marries. It would be interesting to know if he will receive state funding or perform more royal duties than Princess Märtha Louise when he becomes an adult.

VG has counted which royal who waved the most during the 3 hours on the balcony (yes, I know, that is VG for you):
Hvilken kongelig vinker mest på 17. mai? - VG video

The King: 338 times.

The Queen: 520 times.

CP Haakon: 482 times.

CP MM: 554 times.

P Ingrid: 296 times.

P Sverre 111 times.

:eek: I have to extend my compliments to VG and the royal family. ;)

Yes, of course. - But according to Haakon, Sverre isn't that keen on being on the balcony, anyway.
So, if he had the opportunity to decide himself, he probably wouldn't have stood there.

Well, deciding for yourself and being told you are not allowed are 2 different matters...!

But the difference is that Pricness Märtha Louise and Pricne Sverre Magnus are in the line of succession which the King's sisters never where.
Well, with the exception of a small possibility of being monarchs, this has nothing to say for their roles.
Märtha (since 2002) and Sverre (since his birth) are as I wrote, not members of the Royal House, and will never have a prominent role.

--------------------

Thank you, Royal Norway. :flowers:
You're very welcome! :flowers:

If the commentators can be believed, it is a bit inconsistent to decide that Prince Sverre Magnus should be born without membership of the Royal House, the title Royal Highness, or a flag day to avoid the process of losing his position upon marriage, and afterwards decide that he should lose his position in the national day celebrations only when he marries.
Well, let's go through what I wrote in post 579:
It was Märtha herself who said this in an interview (I don't remember exactly when).

It was Haakon who said this in an interview (I don't remember exactly when).

As you can see in the quote, this is the part from the commentators.
To be more specific, I think it was the royal author Tor Bomann-Larsen who said it in a TV-interview (very serious guy BTW).
Wibecke Lie, former royal reporter at NTB (Norwegian News Agency) said something similar, if I remember correctly.

--------------------

Why did the King (in consultation with Haakon) decide that Sverre should not be a member of the Royal House? Well, in addition to the stuff mentioned above, the King also had another thing in mind:

VG article from 2005: Kongen bryter norske tradisjoner - VG
The King's reason for not giving the new prince the title Royal Highness is because the Norwegian Royal House, since 1905, has traditionally consisted of few members, and the King wishes to continue this tradition.

"The King believes that this will also give the new prince greater freedom to choose his own future, e.g. by career choice," says information manager Astrid Versto of NTB.
With ''few members,'' they mean the monarch/consort, the heir/wife, and the eldest child of the heir.

--------------------

It would be interesting to know if he will receive state funding or perform more royal duties than Princess Märtha Louise when he becomes an adult.
1. To receive state funding (apanage), he has to be a member of the Royal House. - So no, he won't.
2. Well, I think we must assume that he won't perform any royal duties at all. - Why?

Märtha: She carries out some few public duties on behalf of the King in areas concerning persons with disabilities. She is also active as patron of eight organisations, and as Chair of Princess Märtha Louise's Fund. - But as I wrote in post 579, she is (since her marriage) not a Royal Highness, her birthday are not an official flag day, she's not longer on the balcony on May 17th, she does not receive any apanage from the state, and she pays taxes.

Sverre: Unlike Märtha, he has never been a member of the Royal House, and is not likely to accept any patronages when he turns 18 (age of legal majority in Norway).

--------------------

The only non-Royal House member with a prominent role is Princess Astrid.

Why is she more prominent? Because from the death of CP Märtha (her mother) in 1954 until the wedding between CP Harald and Sonja Haraldsen in 1968, Princess Astrid was Norway's First lady (despite not being a member of the Royal House after her wedding in 1961).
If Princess Ragnhild (Astrid's older sister) had continued to live in Norway after her wedding in 1953, she would have taken that role instead her younger sister.

In which way are she more prominent? Well, in her years as First lady, she was in many ways, her grandfather and father's consort, while representing Norway and the Royal Family at home and abroad.

After she ceased to be First lady in 1968, she continued to represent her father and brother, and performed several royal duties in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s until her health began to decline early in the 2000s.
But she is still (despite her frailness) quite active for her 12 patronages, and continues to represent the King each year.
And unlike Märtha (who only participates in gala dinners for foreign royals), Princess Astrid attends all gala dinners.

In 2002 (when she turned 70) the Government granted the Princess an honorary pension (which she has to pay income tax on) in recognition of all her efforts on behalf of Norway both during and following her years as First Lady.
She was registered with an income of over one million (NOK), and a fortune worth over 40 million (NOK) in 2015 and 2016.
She also has a lady-in-waiting and a secretary (paid for by the court), and disposes a chauffeur-driven car.

--------------------

Well, deciding for yourself and being told you are not allowed are 2 different matters...!
Well, they would never have told him that he's not allowed out on the balcony.

They only had two choices:
1. Tell him that he has to stand there (they did).
2. Tell him that he could decide himself.

--------------------

The VG stuff, I don't know which one is more tired, to wave several hundred times in 3 hours or count it. :lol:
:eek: I have to extend my compliments to VG and the royal family. ;)
Not bad, is it? 3 hours with all that waving from the balcony at the Regent couple's age (although they do sit on chairs during most of their time out there now).

Last edited:
Well, since we're approaching May 17th, let's mention two things:

1. As in 2017 & 2018, the security will be tighter, which means armed police in several major but also minor cities, including Oslo. However, according to The Norwegian Police Security Service (PST), ''there are no specific threats. - But with a world plagued by extremism, it's still best to be on the safe side.''

2. As I wrote in this post (link) on Saturday, The Crown Princess said she was ''completely exhausted'' after her two-day literature-metro around Oslo last week (yes, CP Haakon even had to hold one of her speeches). - Which makes me wonder, will she be up for the events on Friday. I.e. Greeting the children's parade in Asker municipality at Skaugum, which takes about 40 min; followed by 3-hours (either standing or sitting) on the palace balcony to greet the children's parade in Oslo, where she waved 554 times last year (yes, the tabloid VG counted it. LOL)?

Hmm, I don't know!
And yes, she can take breaks (such as Ingrid & Sverre still does), but my hope is that she just drops the whole thing if she's not feeling up for it. I mean, there's no reason to gamble with one's health with such a severe diagnosis.

BTW: I will write more on the celebrations in due course (most likely on May 16th).

:previous: The RH-Calendar was updated right before/after I wrote the above post yesterday, saying:
1. ''Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess greet the children's parade in Asker with their family (at Skaugum, 08:15).'' [The Norwegian version, as usual, only says The CP-family.]
2. ''The Royal Family greets the children's parade in Oslo from the palace balcony (10:30).''

Last edited:
Magnus "too cool" to wear national costume these days...?!

Thanks, Eya & Iceflower! :flowers:

My bunad is on, and I'm ready to party.

Well, no other country is celebrating their Constitution Day like us, it's actually bigger than British royal weddings. I.e. It's an official public holiday; ''children's parades'' around the country, with about the whole population dressed up in their finest outfits out watching it (many in ''bunad'' - English link); before going to restaurants, cafes, parks and community centres for enjoying some food.

Read about everything in this English Wikipedia article (link).

And about the royal part of it in this Royal House article (link).

--------------------

Today's happenings. - BTW, current Norwegian time (CEST) is one hour ahead of current UK time (BST):

08:15 AM to about 09:00 AM: The CP-Family will appear on the steps of their official (but privately owned) residence Skaugum in Asker municipality to greet the children's parade from the Asker schools. That tradition has lasted since 1946, also after King Olav V moved to The Royal Palace following his accession to the throne in 1957 from when Skaugum served as his weekend home until 1968, when the new CP-Couple (Harald and Sonja) moved in. - And after King Harald V acceded to the throne in 1991, when it continued to serve as Their Majesties main home (because the palace was under renovations) until it was transferred to the new CP-Couple (Haakon and MM) in 2001.

10:30 AM to about 13:30 PM: The Regent-Couple and The CP-Family will appear on the balcony at The Royal Palace in Oslo to greet the children's parade from the Oslo schools. Tradition introduced by King Haakon VII and Queen Maud in 1906, and which has taken place every year since, except 1910, when the Royal Family were in the UK for the funeral of King Edward VII (Maud's father), and during the WWII years:

*The Royals will walk to each side of the balcony, before taking centre stage.
*The Staff Band of The Norwegian Armed Forces will march into the Palace Square.
*The leader of the May 17th committee of Oslo will speak.
*The Staff Band will play both the Royal and National anthems.
*The Staff Band will march out of the Palace Square.
*The children's parade will march below the balcony.
*The Marching Band of The King's Guards will march into the Palace Square.
*They will play ''Gud signe vårt dyre fedreland'' (God Bless Our Dear Fatherland), who is often referred to as Norway's "national psalm''.
*The Marching Band of The King's Guards will march out of the Palace Square, while playing Gammel jegermarsj (Old Hunter's March).
* The Royals will walk to the right side of the balcony, where The King will receive parademarsj (Parade march) from the Guard on sentry duty at the Palace Square, before walking to the left side of the balcony.
*The Royals will again take centre stage at the balcony, before walking inside the palace.

BTW: When I talk about right and left, I mean from our viewing point.

And then to the Royals who don't stand on the balcony:

Princess Astrid will watch from a window on the right side of the balcony, where she is sometimes joined by her children/grandchildren, while Märtha and her daughters (and Ari pre-August 2016) sometimes stand in a window beside.
Why aren't these two princesses on the balcony on May 17th? Because they are (since marrying) not members of the Royal House. I.e. no HRH style, no official flag-day for their birthday, no apanage, no exemption from paying tax and no requirement to perform royal duties.
But Sverre isn't a RH-member either? No, he's the first child of a Norwegian monarch/heir to not be so from birth, but since all the others in his position (I.e Ragnhild, Astrid and Märtha) were there before they married, he is too. - And The Regent/CP-Couples didn't want to make any difference between him and Ingrid (''why is my sister out there and not me'' kind of a thing).

And then to the private luncheon in the Small Dining Room (photo 1 2 3) inside the palace:
Their Majesties, The CP-Family, Princess Astrid and members of her family, sometimes Märtha and her daughters (and Ari pre-August 2016) and some of the courtiers enjoy some food after the official part of the day has ended.
BTW, The Regent-Couple also used to make an afternoon visit to an area in Oslo but ended that tradition after 2011, due to their age.

If Märtha attends (with or without her daughters), will the ''shaman'' guy be there? Well, one commentator thinks it's possible (especially since he's now met Their Majesties), while another one thinks not.

--------------------

TV-coverage:

The state-owned Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK), Norway's largest media organisation:

''Gratulerer med Dagen'' (Congratulations with the day), the traditional and extensive May 17th broadcast, sent every year since 1959.

NRK1, Norway's largest TV-channel:
Live from 07:50-14:00 at the Palace Square with NRK-presenter, Nadia Hasnaoui [born 1963] (known for her many royal programs/documentaries and previous May 17th broadcasts, she's also very pro-monarchy in her presenting style) and Christian Strand [born 1980] (Oslo-reporter for the day, but known for various programmes on NRK).
NRK's Royal Correspondent, Kristi Marie Skrede is one of the guests (used to be pretty balanced, but has now turned into what I would describe as very pro-monarchy in her style).
Summary of the day from 19:55-21:40.

NRK2, their second largest TV-channel:
Live from 10:20-13:30 at the Palace Square with Ida Kjøstelsen [born 1975] (commentator of the children's parade, known for her NRK-work with The Royal Family and sports).

NRK1 live her (link) [the NRK2 link, which is constantly live from the Palace Square, is unfortunately not available outside Norway]

TV 2 Group, Norway's largest commercial media company:

TV2, their largest and Norway's second largest TV-channel:
Live from 07:00-08:00 and from 11:00-13:00 at the Palace Square with News anchors Yvonne Fondenes and Rune Kjos.
Live from 08:00-11:00 with Jan Thomas [born 1966] (stylist without a surname, hired in to try to steal some viewers from NRK, LOL) and Vår Staude [born 1966] from the Breakfast show ''God Morgen Norge'' (Good Morning Norway) from their studio at Aker Brygge in Oslo.
Also live throughout the day at TV2 News Channel.
TV2's former Royal Correspondent, Anne Fredrikstad [born 1969] (known to be pretty pro-monarchy in her style), is live at Skaugum and the Palace Square, replacing their 74-year-old suuuuuper pro-monarchy (perhaps a bit TOO much for some) Royal Expert, Kjell Arne Totland, who has a day off.

Last edited:
Is it a requirement?

Of course not. If it was he would have to wear a national dress today, wouldn´t he?
Haakon didn´t wear national costume when he was younger, too (I think he started the tradition after his wedding) and Harald never wore nat. costume at the national day.

The costumes worn on 17th May has to adhere to I don't know how many rules in order to be correct.
And while dressing up, how about the hair?

As all Norwegian women are required by law to be blonde and have long hair, you can braid your hair in intricate patterns.
These kind of interwoven pattern is ancient! They were extremely popular during the Viking Age and before.

Enjoy this archetypal Norwegian girl:
https://www.side2.no/video/slik-lager-du-en-nydelig-tvunnet-flettekrans-til-17-mai-4666158
Or alternatively this more romantic hairstyle:
https://www.side2.no/skjonnhet/romantisk-flette-til-17-mai-4665681

Last edited:
It still confuses me to know that Norway and Sweden are celebrating their national day and Denmark is not. : rofl:

Last edited:
The costumes worn on 17th May has to adhere to I don't know how many rules in order to be correct.
And while dressing up, how about the hair?

As all Norwegian women are required by law to be blonde and have long hair, you can braid your hair in intricate patterns.
These kind of interwoven pattern is ancient! They were extremely popular during the Viking Age and before.

Enjoy this archetypal Norwegian girl:
https://www.side2.no/video/slik-lager-du-en-nydelig-tvunnet-flettekrans-til-17-mai-4666158
Or alternatively this more romantic hairstyle:
https://www.side2.no/skjonnhet/romantisk-flette-til-17-mai-4665681
Really? How about those who are born with darker hair? When I was in Oslo, I saw many women with short hair. Most were blonde, but some weren't. Ingrid Alexandra is not blonde, she has light brown hair.

Really? How about those who are born with darker hair? When I was in Oslo, I saw many women with short hair. Most were blonde, but some weren't. Ingrid Alexandra is not blonde, she has light brown hair.

Merely a joke about the stereotypical Norwegian. ?

And now for something more serious.
https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks...r-salutt?utm_source=vgfront&utm_content=row-1

It is customary to fire salutes during this day and sadly a canon fired too early and a man who had not managed to get out of the way had his arm shot off.
Fortunately he survived due to quick intervention by bystanders.
However, it meant that no other canons were fired today.
So far it seems something went wrong while loading the canon or the ammunition must have been faulty.

It still confuses me to know that Norway and Sweden are celebrating their national day and Denmark is not. : rofl:

It has indeed been suggested a number of times but it has never amounted to anything. Nor is there any public call for a national day.
The closest thing we come to a national day in DK, is Constitution Day on 5th June. But that day is more an opportunity for politicians to give speeches, based loosely on the Constitution.

I think our resident Norwegians can better explain why the 17th May is so significant a day in Norway. Feelings, culture, history, national identity and so on.

Sweden didn't have a national day until 1983 and it wasn't made a public holiday until 2005. To say that we celebrate it is a bit much. Although interest seems to be slowly growing for the majority of Swedes it's mostly a day off.

Nice day out
gallery from the NRF
https://www.kongehuset.no/fotoalbum.html?tid=169754&sek=26949

for me it's a little disappointing not to see Sverre in his national costume, I believe his brother Magnus wore it basically ever year until he stopped participating. I seen pictures of a young Haakon wearing it too. Oh well...

gallery from belga
https://www.belgaimage.be/#/search/images?sorting=desc&filters_;&text=National Day Norway 2019

You mean his brother MARIUS! Sverre is just called "Magnus" in the family.

Back
Top Bottom