Norway's National Day, May 17: 2003 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
photofan said:
Are we going to see THE WHOLE family? like little Maud and Léa or just Ingrid and Sverre?
As it said in the article KikkiB posted: Märtha Louise and her family will not participate in the official events, which means that we won't see Maud and Leah unless they're caught by photographers wherever they might be.

Please read the posts above before asking questions.

that true i would agree with posts.

Princess Martha-Louise cant join with her parents and Prince Haakon because she is no longer with parents and brother because she married with her husband who is not royals and her two girls is not royals also but Princess Martha-Louise still as Royals.

but Leah and Maud cant join with Martha-Louise because easy caught by the photographer and also steal the shows like her cousin Princess Ingrid maybe wait till become older can join or not dues King's respect

VG has an article about the rules for how you are going to wear your national costume the right way, for a dress you wear only once or twice a year you see alot of creative solutions on national day and not all is very becomming.

1 Wear the head dress that goes with the national costume, this goes both for women and men (many break this rule, simply because some of the hats and shawls are strange looking and uncomfterble)

2 Use the right shoes, the ones that goes with the national costume. (when Mary visited Færøyene we could see she wore pointy pumps the one day, a no-no, but she had the right shoes the next day, even worse is white trainers which also has been seen, (not on royals) especially later in the day when people get blisters from the shoes they only use once a year)

3 Use the right stockings, wool or cotten, not nylon, check that you used the right color for your costume, usually black

4 Minimize the stash. Place the silver brooches where they are supposed to be, dont use the silver belt if it is not intended for your costume

5 Dont use other jewellery, no earrings or similar unless they are part of the costume

6 Make sure the skirt is the right length.

7 If it is cold wear white woolen underware, dont wear colorfull jackets to keep warm, If you dont have a shawl or cape with your costume you can wear a black jacket

8 If it is raining, use a black umbrella, some has started to make umbrellas with national costume pattern, another no-no

9 Natural look, dont use makeup or make sure it is very natural (also no plastic stash in the hair, fake flowers, bows and similar)

10 Only men are supposed to wear a knife with the national costume, that some women wear a national costume knife is a modern invention
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=115833

And the 11 rule is that National costumes has a tendency to make even the slimmest of woman look pregnant, the reason is the heavy wollen fabricks they are made of, sometime it can be as much as 8 meters of thick fabrick in the skirt, as well as the waistes on them are often pretty high, giving some sort of semi empire look.

Then Norwegian royals has made several mistakes which has gotten them press and in trouble with the self appointed national costume police, Sonja often uses shades with her costume, she has placed the silver brooch wrong at one time, Mette-Marit rarely wears the headdress, and as a fiancè she wore a fake national costume for a private party which got her the frontpage;) The palace did soem damage controll and pretty soon she and Haakon made an apparance both wearing the right thing. She has also been seen with the wrong shoes. Mette-Marit has 4 national costumes (one from before her marriage), Sonja has atleast 6 and Märtha Im not sure, the one she usually wear she has inherited from her grandmother Crown Princess Märtha. Normal people usually only have 1. Crown Prince Haakon has one from Fana in Bergen and Harald never wears national costumes because he wants to be neutral and not linked to a specific part of the country

11473471339664118ci.jpg
foto: Hallgeir Vågsnes
Here she is wearing correctly her wedding present, a national costume from Hardanger with the correct head dress which it took 2 local women more than an hour to put on her

Mette-Marits 5 times on the balconny

and her 4 times at Skaugum, in 2001 the King and Queen was still living there

Pictures from scanpix and rex

Last edited:
Larzen said:
1 Wear the head dress that goes with the national costume, this goes both for women and men (many break this rule, simply because some of the hats and shawls are strange looking and uncomfterble)
I know that I rarely wear my "hat" with the bunad. It's so loose that I'm terrified that it's going to fall off and that I'm going to lose it. Of course, Mette-Marit & Sonja probably have someone to pick up after them should it happen to them... ;)

Only two more days to go. I'm going to wear my hardangerbunad on the 17th of may, like the one the crown princess is wearing in post #7 (without the headpiece of course. That's something only married women wear. But I doubt I'll ever wear it even if I do get married).
That picture is actually taken at the hotel a short 10 minute walk from my house. I stood 2 meters from the crown princely couple that day, and as they walked passed me I got eye-contact with CP Haakon. I didn't expect that so I guess I looked quite strange. I bet I looked very much like this :eek: .
Anyway...I think the hardangerbunad is the most beautiful national costume in Norway;). And I really hope Mette Marit decides to wear hers too.

Valhalla said:
Only two more days to go. I'm going to wear my hardangerbunad on the 17th of may, like the one the crown princess is wearing in post #7 (without the headpiece of course. That's something only married women wear. But I doubt I'll ever wear it even if I do get married).
That picture is actually taken at the hotel a short 10 minute walk from my house. I stood 2 meters from the crown princely couple that day, and as they walked passed me I got eye-contact with CP Haakon. I didn't expect that so I guess I looked quite strange. I bet I looked very much like this :eek: .
Anyway...I think the hardangerbunad is the most beautiful national costume in Norway;). And I really hope Mette Marit decides to wear hers too.
Bah, personally I hope she'll wear the Jelsa bunad she got for her confirmation. If only because I'm wearing mine this year, I left my other one in Norway ;) I also think it would be rather nice if she's wearing costumes that she's got a connection of sorts to rather than something that was just given to her.

True. But Mette Marit has got ties to Hardanger. Her grandmother came from Fosso near Norheimsund. She used to come here on holiday during the summer when she was a young girl. She still has some relatives living here.
This is why the municipality of Kvam Herad decided to give her the hardangerbunad as a wedding present:). They would probably not have given her a hardangerbunad if she didn't have ties to the region.

I believe Mette Marits hardangerbunad has something on it that shows that she's linked to the Norheimsund area. 2 black velvet lines that goes horisontal around 5-10 cm from the bottom of the 'skirt'.

Larzen said:

Thanks for the Mette-Marit's timeline, Larzen.
I really like what she wore to her 2003 balcony appearance. She seems very groomed up & elegant.
and her red bunad really suited her-up. Where is it from?

norwegianne said:
I know that I rarely wear my "hat" with the bunad. It's so loose that I'm terrified that it's going to fall off and that I'm going to lose it. Of course, Mette-Marit & Sonja probably have someone to pick up after them should it happen to them... ;)

I'd say that it is only die hard bunad people who follow rule no.1 posted by Larzen. Most young women today choose not to use the head wear. I know I will never wear the head wear for my bunad. It is really ugly and unbecomming and I wouldn't be caught dead in it. I'd rather invest in a pair of ad-on-sleeves which belong to my bunad.

And one more thing, I think most people who have bunads don't follow all the rules anyway. I also have a silver belt on my bunad, which according to tradition only were for married women, but I got mine when I was 15 and I am still not married some 12 years later. All in all, traditions do change don't they??

So today we will see King Harald, Queen Sonja, Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette Marit, Princess Ingrid Alexandra, Prince Sverre Magnus and Marius. Norwegian fellows, do you see them on tv now?

Woww the pictures are very pretty I am glad that they took to the three children… the children are very handsome ;)

Mette-Marit is wearing her red bunad...
Ingrid Alexandra is wearing her first bunad which matches her mommy's.
btw, why isn't Marius joining the school parade like last year?

pictures from Aftenposten & VG :

Attachments

• 17__mai__062485_jpg_401710h.jpg
    17__mai__062485_jpg_401710h.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 524
  • 17__mai__062491_jpg_401718h.jpg
    17__mai__062491_jpg_401718h.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 511
  • 17__mai__062483_jpg_401708g.jpg
    17__mai__062483_jpg_401708g.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 408
  • 1147858626959_774.jpg
    1147858626959_774.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,266
  • 1147858747003_705.jpg
    1147858747003_705.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 898
  • 1147858863712_500.jpg
    1147858863712_500.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 573
  • 1147858948918_26.jpg
    1147858948918_26.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 520
My best wishes to Norway! Happy Syttende Mai

NationalDayofNorway17May200622.jpg

NationalDayofNorway17May20066.jpg

The Crownprincely family at Skaugum, from PPE

and from Dagbladet :

more from PPE

more from PPE

Last edited by a moderator:
They all look wonderfull!
I'm happy to see that Mette Marit decided to wear her Hardanger bunad;) . I'm wearing mine right now...:D

A pic from the balcony-Mette-Marit looks to have made a more "conventional" hat choice!
Source:Aftenposten

Last edited:
more from Nettavisen & 1 more from PPE

in Skaugum

and at the Balcony of Royal Palace of Oslo

awww, ingrid looked adorable in her bunad! the same for mette marit, i think it's great to see royals wearing their very own traditional costumes. i was curious to how many bunads may mette marit have, since some of you normally mention that she uses this or that bunad. do they have all of them (one for every region)? what about ingrid? is this the first time she wears one?

it's a pity she is no longer wearing the bunad for the balcony scene as sonja did last year. it would be a nice family photo of all of them wearing tha traditional costume.

Mette Marit doesn't look very enthusiastic on the balcony, don't you think? That sort of pained "My feet hurt" kind of look...

Little Ingrid Alexandra looks really cute!!I really adore her bunad!
Sverre Magnus has grown as well. Looks cute!

It looks like Mette-Marits feet is hurting. Right before His Majesty The Kings Guard played in front of the palace, you could see Mette-marit teking her shoes of. (On NRK)I was tired of standing there myself, so i belive that her feet hurt since she stood there longer + on skaugum earlier.

Thank you all for the pictures and news :).

And thank you Larzen for the explanation and rules around national costume - priceless.

Ingrid looks so grown up. And the pictures of her waving and smilling are heartmelting.

Marius behind the window - photographers do like to picture the boy that way. He will be a very hansome man.

Happy Day! :)

wonderful pictures! :)
Igrid Alexandra already looks so professional! She kids are really adoable!

More from PPE

Attachments

• 6051748.jpg
    6051748.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 257
  • 6051749.jpg
    6051749.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 244
  • 6051755.jpg
    6051755.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 352
  • 44.jpg