Norway's National Day, May 17: 2003 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mtbcm said:
Hi :)!

It's not a pacifier. It is a ribbon that men ;) use in their jackets.

Regards,
mtbcm :)

Women also use them, just not on their bunad.

How cute the children are ! What a lovely family !

several more from UK press :

and these cute ones of Prince Sverre Magnus with his daddy...

Fab pictures !! thanks for posting them

Thanks for the beautiful pictures guys.I love the national costumes they are simply georgous!

You can see that Mette-Marit has tried but the hat just casts too much of a shadow on her face. Maybe she likes it that her face is not on show.

The family look lovely, it is great that they celebrate in such a traditonal way.

Last edited:
KikkiB said:
Women also use them, just not on their bunad.

Thank you KikkiB for clarifying that. As you can see, despite all Larzen clarifications I am still feeling a litle lost:eek: . It is so nice to have members on the forum that can bring knowledge about the countries' costumes and traditions.

It is a very sweet detail from Crown Princes to put the band on the baby. It's never too early to start :).

Regards,

mtbcm :)

Ingrid Alexandra

Little Princess Ingrid Alexandra's national costume very nice & sweet

Thanks for the pictures, they are all great.
I hope you all hade a great 17th of may!

Ingrid is a very cute little girl and is so adorable in her bunad.
Magnus is the sweetest little guy I just wanna hold him and say: golli golli (haha):rolleyes: :eek:
Marius is soon going to be a heartbreaker.. If i only was 10years younger:D

I think it was a great day and sure I enjoyed it with my adorable twins and the rest of my family!

purple_platinum said:
Mette-Marit's balcony outfit somehow reminded me of her 2004 outfit. Only, 2004 has better hat & choice of colour.
This year, somehow, the colour pallette of MM, Sonja, and Ingrid are more mellow.
oh gosh, Mette-Marit is going to wear that big hat, i'd much prefer the way it's done last year when the women dressed in their bunads.
She looks much fresher & beautiful in the morning.

The reason they wore bunads on the balcony last year, was because of the centennial celebration of Norway's independence. Otherwise, the tradition of wearing bunad is at Skaugum only on the 17 of May. As you have seen on photos they do wear bunads on other occations during the year (visits etc.)

The red hat completely swamps MM's features! I think something a little smaller would have been better.
I do like the coat though.

EmmieLou said:
You can see that Mette-Marit has tried but the hate just casts too much of a shadow on her face. Maybe she likes it that her face is not on show.

The family look lovely, it is great that they celebrate in such a traditonal way.

What does that mean? She is a lovely, sweet loking young lady.

redfox6 said:

Yes, she is, but you can't see much of her face. Everything except mouth and chin and part of the cheeks are hidden by the hat or the shadows. I agree that MM may have chosen that hat deliberately to hide her face, she is a very private person and I think she is still kind of shy.

She's hidding her face because she doesn't want the sun in her face. She isn't shy she just hates being in the sun like me.

The O.C. Fanatic said:
She's hidding her face because she doesn't want the sun in her face. She isn't shy she just hates being in the sun like me.

And I guess that sunburn thing from a few years back, makes her cautious with the sun.

From Hello on 17th of May

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2006/05/18/norwegianroyals/

Just one comment to this article;
It says: "The bunad, as it is known, is based on regional folk apparel and first came into existence about 100 years ago." That isn't entirely correct. Most of the costumes that makes up the bunad, has it's roots in the clothes styles from the 1600s to the early 1800s. And it was everymans "copies" of rich people's clothes. Hundred years ago Hulda Garborg (wife of writer Arne Garborg) did a formidable work in catalogueing the bunads from different places. One could say she revived the bunad, and made it popular again.

During this time they also tried to make a national costume for the entire country, the Hardanger bunad (which is the one CP Mette-Marit wore this year), but that didn't work out. Each region/district wanted their own bunad which belonged to that specific area. It's a nice way to see where people come from or have their roots.

Last edited:
Ingrid Alexandra looks so cute... but I've noticed that she seldom smiles... :(

redfox6 said:

Sorry had no time to check my post yesterday, obviously "hate" was meant to be "hat"!! She may be sweet and good looking but she is a Princess and her public want to see her face. I just think Mette-Marit should wear a hat that shows her face, all the other princess' can find them so I can only assume Mette-Marit likes to be a little hidden.

I like to keep the sun of my face but I do not do that by hiding my face under a big, dark hat.

Its just funny. If Mette Marit wear a headpiece and you can see all of her face it is wrong and everybody cries that she should youse a normal head. And if she wear a normal hat everybody cries that nobody can see her face. What do you want?
I think that she can really carry out these headpieces and hats aren't her thing. In my family we say that if anyone has a Hatface she can wear a teekettle on her head and it would look great. But if you don#t have a hatface you don't look great with the loveliest hat at all. Perhapes Mette Marit don't feel that she has a hatface.

tiger said:
Its just funny. If Mette Marit wear a headpiece and you can see all of her face it is wrong and everybody cries that she should youse a normal head. And if she wear a normal hat everybody cries that nobody can see her face. What do you want?
I think that she can really carry out these headpieces and hats aren't her thing. In my family we say that if anyone has a Hatface she can wear a teekettle on her head and it would look great. But if you don#t have a hatface you don't look great with the loveliest hat at all. Perhapes Mette Marit don't feel that she has a hatface.
I agree. It seems that Mette-Marit can't win with her hat choices. I found her national day hat lovely. Other royal women wear huge hats in which you can't see their faces very well and get praised for them.

kwanfan said:
I agree. It seems that Mette-Marit can't win with her hat choices. I found her national day hat lovely. Other royal women wear huge hats in which you can't see their faces very well and get praised for
them.

I think when it come to Mette Marit - she is an easy target so most people criticize her for the same things other crown princesses get praised for.

For Maxima -it she so exuberant she can carry it off.

For Mary - she is so elegant.

Pah!!! Of all the crown princesses she has not been able to carve out her own personna, her own style, her own path. I think most people use the outrage at her "past" as a way to never see anything positive in her.
I see a really beautiful, self-posessed and strong woman. (I know if I were in her shoes, I would crumbled under this much criticism)
Give her a break! So it wasn't the greatest hat - but does that mean she should now be lynched.

Ingyk

How old is Marius? He is so cute! I love his blond hair!
I don't think there is anything wrong with Mette Marit's hat. I liked it.

melike2 said:
I don't think there is anything wrong with Mette Marit's hat. I liked it.
I liked her hat too, and I especially liked the Crown Prince's hat :)

kwanfan said:
I agree. It seems that Mette-Marit can't win with her hat choices. I found her national day hat lovely. Other royal women wear huge hats in which you can't see their faces very well and get praised for them.

Don't get me wrong. I do like MM and admire her for many things. However, I don't think she can pull off that kind of extravagant hats, the reason being that for such a hat you must be dressed to the nines and make up your face. If Mary wears a hat, her clothes fit perfectly and her face is made up and matches this. If Maxima wears a hat, the hat is not as important has her huge, outgoing, immensely friendly personality, so it doesn't matter if the hat is awful. MM seems a bit withdrawn at times and hardly wore any makeup on May 17, so in the hat she looks a bit like dressing up.

Royal family is elegant and princess Astrid is much diligent in royal family. Princess Astrid have visit King Carl Gustafs 60th birthday and now she stand wide balcony in royal family of Norway 17 may!!! Princess Astrid and King Harald is much stand near each other!!! Princess Astrid and husband Martin is love royal family of Norway.

I thought her hat would look lovely on Maxima:p she totally disappears under it.

Here is a pic from the King and Queen in the afternoon on a visit to Alna in Oslo. Its from Aftenposten
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/kongelige/article1320269.ece
...and some more from the morning scanpix and ANB via regional papers

and some more of Sverre Magnus and Haakon, from rex

Attachments

• _1317437_jpg_401818h.jpg
    _1317437_jpg_401818h.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 232
  • 587646D.jpg
    587646D.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 279
  • 587646G.jpg
    587646G.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 587655AI.jpg
    587655AI.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 211
  • 587655Y.jpg
    587655Y.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 587655Z.jpg
    587655Z.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 195
  • 587655AA.jpg
    587655AA.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
In the morning you could see all the photographers gathering infront of Skaugum, they obiously knew each other well because they were talking and laughing and shaking hands with each other. Mette-Marits mother was also at Skaugum in the morning, she was standing descreetly behind the photographers and only Se og Hør seems to have noticed her and has a picture of her.

Some more of Ingrid in her tiny Hardanger bunad, from Rex

Back
Top Bottom