Norway's National Day, May 17: 2003 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lovely photos - I've always found it sweet how the CP family include their dogs in the celebrations too! Always nice to see the NRF together again.

Its strange not to see Sverre in his costume, since even his father is.

I always love seeing them all together on National day. Love they include the dogs in the family event as well.

I was extremely busy when writing post 590 from a restaurant on Friday, so I've rewritten parts of it, corrected all the typos and added the three photos of the Small Dining Room, which I forgot to put in the space I had created for them. LOL.

Summary of the events: Well, everything went fine, although The Crown Princess had to take herself a long break from the balcony. And yes, as usual, we could see Princess Astrid in one of the windows, this year with members of her own Ferner Family and her late sister Princess Ragnhild's Lorentzen Family (here she is BTW with her third child and oldest son, Alexander Ferner, and her dog - link). Märtha and her new love OTOH were not seen, but (as one can see in polyesco's post 600) they were filmed arriving at the palace. - While her daughters, I think, celebrated with Ari.

The NRK broadcast: Very pro-monarchy and pro-Norway! They even let a choir perform their new song to The King while showing photos of him on the screen. And both their Majesties and The CP-Family were praised.
Märtha and her guy? Barely mentioned.

The NRK1 transmission from around the country: See The CP-Family at Skaugum from 20:50; The King's new song from 01:17:00, followed by previous May 17th clips from the balcony, including King Olav V's last time there in 1990; and The Royals walking out at 02:37:40, while the leaving process is starting at 05:34:40 (link).

And if one wants to see constantly from the children's parade at the Palace Square, then you can do it in this three-part NRK2 broadcast (1 2 3).

The TV2 broadcast: Didn't watch it, but heard from others that Märtha was barely mentioned and that the coverage (as usual) focused more on talking to guests than following the children's parades.

--------------------

And to those of you who want to know more about the history of May 17th, the children's parades around the country, all the details about the royal part of the celebrations, or whether the television-hosts/experts are pro-monarchy or not, well, take a look at my above-mentioned post.

"Planning a nice 17th May

17 May this year will be different for all of us. So how can it still be a really nice day? His Royal Highness The Crown Prince met on 17 May committees in Bergen, Alta and Lillehammer."

https://www.kongehuset.no/nyhet.html?tid=183349&sek=26939

Does anybody know which persons with the white wigs are being portrayed on these two 18th century paintings in HRHs office?

Norway's National Day, May 17: 2003 - 2020

It was touching to see the Crown Princess crouch down to greet the elderly man who stood in their presence but obviously couldn't straighten up to eye level.

Last edited:
Does anybody know which persons with the white wigs are being portrayed on these two 18th century paintings in HRHs office?
I wonder if they are copies of Carl Gustav Pilo's portraits of Fredrik V of Denmark-Norway and his first wife Queen Louise (daughter of George II).

Glad there was some sort of celebration for this special day. They all look wonderful, a little disappointing that Sverre doesn't use the traditional outfit anymore, I remember Marius use to even as he got older.

I wonder if they are copies of Carl Gustav Pilo's portraits of Fredrik V of Denmark-Norway and his first wife Queen Louise (daughter of George II).
yes, I thought so, too - that could be the case. They do have some paintings of foreign Royalty. In Haakon and MMs library hangs a painting of young Queen Victoria on horseback, for instance.

It was touching to see the Crown Princess crouch down to greet the elderly man who stood in their presence but obviously couldn't straighten up to eye level.
I agree. They obviously asked him to sit down again, but in the beginning he perhaps couldn´t hear what they said.
I think the Royal Family made the best of this very different National Day with its restrictions! The ride through the city to this hospital after the balcony appearance was just fantastic!:flowers:

Very nice gesture to have paid a visit to an hospital and a care home. Frivolous I fear, but Mette-Marit's and Ingrid's bunads are very beautiful !

It's great that the bunads could still make an appearance on the CP family even if this was a much more different National Day compared to what Norwegians are used to!

Lovely images and nice that the crown princely couple & children sermed to have toured the city.

Was there a crowd in front of the palace or were they waving for the camera?

Lovely images and nice that the crown princely couple & children sermed to have toured the city.

Was there a crowd in front of the palace or were they waving for the camera?
There was a small crowd of a few hundred people behind the bars -not comparable with the 1000ds of people lining the parade route in Oslo before Corona!
The most important thing was that the RF was the focal point of all norwegians, both taking place physically or taking part as viewers at their TV sets!

Last 17 May, the King and Queen received over 4,000 drawings from children in Oslo and a selection of the drawings will be exhibited in Slottsparken.

King Harald and Queen Sonja looked through the drawings that can now be seen along the "Broadway" through the park.

https://www.kongehuset.no/nyhet.html?tid=187281&sek=26939

The celebrations have begun - a rainy start for Haakon, Mette-Marit, Ingrid-Alexandra, Sverre Magnus and the dogs ?

** Pic ** instagram gallery **

** kongehuset: Gratulerer med dagen! **

** nettavisen.no: Følg 17. mai-feiringen her **

** ostlendingen.no: 17. mai-feiringen i gang for kongefamilien **

** vg.no: Coronapreget 17. mai for kongefamilien i år igjen **

Later the family traditionally appeared on the Palace's balcony:

** gettyimages gallery ** instagram gallery **

** dm article: The Norwegian Royal family don traditional dress and proudly wave flags ..**

And some more galleries:

** ppe gallery 1 ** ppe gallery 2 ** ppe gallery 3 **

And Queen Sonja shared some private photos:

** instagram gallery **

Last edited:
Cant say I'm impressed with Sverre not wearing the national/traditional costume. Maruis did well into his teens.

Given all the covid restrictions they still made it a special day

Cant say I'm impressed with Sverre not wearing the national/traditional costume. Maruis did well into his teens.

Given all the covid restrictions they still made it a special day

But King Harald also never wears traditional costume. If Sverre does not like to dress himself in folklore, that is his good right.

But King Harald also never wears traditional costume. If Sverre does not like to dress himself in folklore, that is his good right.
Of course it is Magnus´right. Still it´s a bit of a pity.

Prcss Ingrid A. is definitely the prettiest Princess of her generation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom