Norway's National Day, May 17: 2003 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love mette marits hat , but I think its alittle big , wish we could see her faces more!!

Thank you for the pictures everyone, I think it's wonderful that Norwegians have a National Day. It seems a great chance to celebrate.

All the children look lovely, particularly Sverre, who seems nicely bundled up! Are there any pictures of Martha-Louise and her family?

I know there are rules in the royalty about who can be on the balcony, but the picture of Marius behind the window just breaks my heart. Maybe that was why the phototogs took it but it really did. I am really glad his family decided to keep him from the parade and allow him to stand with his family in front of his home. I loved the traditional outfit his mom dressed him in. I loved seeing the entire CP family. I can't believe how big IA is or how much I think she is starting to look like her mom, she HM coloring but I think she has MM looks. She is one of the cutest royal children, Amelia, her, and Leonor all look so different but each is so beautiful. SM is so adorable, I am glad they included him in the pictures in front of their home. I was starting to go through with IA withdraws so it was great to look at all of the pictures.

Thank you to all for providing pictures and explanations. I didn't care for Mette-Marit's hat, it was too big and floppy for her, but what a lovely looking family.:)

It was said on the news that Princess Ingrid Alexandra already has the royal wave down :) She waved with her wrist like royals do. She sure was cute though. And Prince Sverre Magnus was more interesting in putting his 17 of May bow in his mouth (the ribbon thing that hangs on your left side of your jacket/coat/sweater).

Interesting to see Crown Princess Mette-Marit at least making an effort to use a more conventional hat, but to me the effort failed - this hat was way too big and it only covered up her face, and made it hide in dark shadows a lot. Maybe she didn't have the best of days, she did look a little sour at times... Her jacket is very stylish though, I like it.

It was nice to see Marius with the rest of the Crown Princely Family outside of Skaugum, instead of walking with the other children, that way we got to see more of him. As everyone has already said, Princess Ingrid Alexandra looks adorable, she really looks good in her bunad. And Marius is becoming a handsome young boy, and he looks incredibly elegant today in bunad for men.

I love the Norwegian National day. It's so great to see the royal family wearing traditional costumes (I can't imagine the Dutch doing that and frankly: I'm quite happy about it. The bunads are far more beautiful than our national costumes).

And the kids are soooo cute! It's great to see them again, they grow up so fast. I love how wise Ingrid-Alexandera looks and how she's waving. :) She's got a lot of personality, I bet.

I loved what the Queen and M-M were wearing on te balcony. I'm not too sure about M-M's hat, by the way. It seems to overwhelm her a little and I can't see her face properly. When you wear big hats like that, you have to place them differently, otherwise it just looks like you want to hide. And that's a shame, because it's a lovely hat, it's just the way she wears it that doesn't agree with me. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the great pics Jess, Larzen and fanletzia! :)

Lovely pictures. The kids are adorable and Ingrid was adorable waving to the crowd.
I didn't like MM's hat. It's too big, we can't see her face. But her outfit was really beautiful.

Here are some more pics of the balcony scene, from ppe.

Attachments

• balkon01.jpg
    balkon01.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 249
  • balkon02.jpg
    balkon02.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 299
  • balkon03.jpg
    balkon03.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 240
  • balkon04.jpg
    balkon04.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 241
  • balkon05.jpg
    balkon05.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 257
  • balkon06.jpg
    balkon06.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 268
  • balkon07.jpg
    balkon07.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 286
  • balkon08.jpg
    balkon08.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 275
  • balkon09.jpg
    balkon09.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 240
  • balkon10.jpg
    balkon10.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 285
Many thanks for the pictures !:)

Ingrid Alexandra is absolutely adorable, she seems to have already a so strong personnality . So sweet ...:eek:

Queen Sonja looked especially beautiful today . At nearly 69, she is really stunning !:rolleyes: :)

I've never noticed this before but does Mette-Marit have a lazy eye?

I think it's just the way some pics are taken PreDoc. I've seen pics that make Queen Margrethe and Queen Sonja look like they have a lazy eye but they don't.

I just love seeing the family together. Ingrid Alexandra is gorgeous and I love Mette-Marit's hat!

I really like Mette-Marits hat and I applaud her for trying to wear but I dont think she pulled it off to well. It covered her face to much and should have been placed differently.

i'm not a fan of the hat either, but probably it's a wise option considering that standing outside for that long under the sun can be exhausting. moreover, it's a good idea if you want to protect yourself form the sun (and have that beautiful skin as she does). i didn't really like the whole oufit though.

i think marit, mette marit's mum, is a true lady, really. i bet she is everytime in these kind of royal engagements and we practically don't see her or hear that she was there. she seems such a nice, suitable in law, and perhaps one of the best parents of the crown princesses, without taking advantage of the situation of her daughter and trying to keep her life as normal as possible, without being flashy or happy to be the centre of attention.

Last edited:
Rebafan81 said:
I know there are rules in the royalty about who can be on the balcony, but the picture of Marius behind the window just breaks my heart. Maybe that was why the phototogs took it but it really did..
http://img144.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc265&image=th_67904_Marius_247659c.jpg
Theese pictures are not taken at the Palace they are taken at Skaugum early in the morning, according to the press Marius was looking out the window to see if the parade was comming. Then he stood on the stairs until his class walked by and he joined them for the rest of the parade.

Wonderful pics all the kids looked so sweet , The King seems to be in great Health ! Long Live The Royal Family!!!! God Save the King!!!!! and a Happy National Day to all Norwegians everywhere!!! :)

marilla said:
I think that Prince Haakon is losing his hair.

With modern technology there's no reason why he should allow that to happen (and that goes for Prince William as well who should start fixing the problem immediately)

PreDoc said:
With modern technology there's no reason why he should allow that to happen (and that goes for Prince William as well who should start fixing the problem immediately)

In my opinion hair pieces, comb overs or hair plugs/transplants only make things worse :eek: Though, I can understand that it is no fun going bald when you are so young. Even so it's better to grow bald gracefully. But then again I won't understand how it feels for a man to loose his hair, since I'm a woman. And CP Haakon is only getting what is called "viker" in Norwegian. Translates to bays in English.

And now for something totally different! A slide show of photos from today to be found at the bottom of this article;
http://www.side2.no/kjendis/article638940.ece

That hat MM wore...NOT a good idea. It makes her look like some evil entity from a distant universe, especially as the pictures were shot from a low camera angle. With her face lurking in the deep shadows of that purple monster, I really expected her to breathe heavily and say something like '"I am your father, luke".

KikkiB said:
And CP Haakon is only getting what is called "viker" in Norwegian. Translates to bays in English.

And now for something totally different! A slide show of photos from today to be found at the bottom of this article;
http://www.side2.no/kjendis/article638940.ece

Thank you for the photos KikkiB, he looks so handsome despite his "viker" :cool:

I don't see the problem with MM's hat. Sure it is big, and might been better suited to an occasion like a summer wedding or something, but I really like it! :)

Edited to say: after looking at the pics again, I still love the hat but not the way MM wears it.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the many wonderful pictures! :)

Ingrid Alexandra looks super adorable in her mini-bunad! I love the coloured stockings and the little buckle shoes!

I have a question about the logistics of the day: Where are the King and Queen while Haakon and Mette-Marit with their family are posing in the traditional costume?

And did the King and Queen pose in the traditional costume at all today?

Larzen said:
http://img144.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc265&image=th_67904_Marius_247659c.jpg
Theese pictures are not taken at the Palace they are taken at Skaugum early in the morning, according to the press Marius was looking out the window to see if the parade was comming. Then he stood on the stairs until his class walked by and he joined them for the rest of the parade.
Thanks Larzen for clearing it up for me. For some reason I am really attached to this little boy and don't like to think about him feeling left out of anything. I know his mom and HM make him feel important and part of the entire family, I just worry about the royal family part. Did anyone notice how much he held IA hand, you can tell they are very close. I bet he makes a great big brother to both of the little kids.

Thanks for the pictures everyone.

I like Mette-Marits hat it's a lovely colour it's just too big it engulfed her head.

I know it's been said before but I have to say it again those kids are adorable. :)

Happy national day to everyone in Norway. :)

The family looks great! I wish them the best of luck!!!

I agree, I think Haakon is loosing his hair!:eek:

adorable family! marius is mette-marit's clon! ingrid and sverre are so so beautiful! I love sverre!

The picture is gorgeous!
Thank you all for the pictures and news.
Ingrid is so sweet and adorable!:p

The family looks very nice. Norwegian traditional costumes are beautiful. I especially liked Marius but Ingrid was adorable too.:) In one of the pictures little Sverre had something red in his mouth. Was it a pacifier?

Lakshmi said:
The family looks very nice. Norwegian traditional costumes are beautiful. I especially liked Marius but Ingrid was adorable too.:) In one of the pictures little Sverre had something red in his mouth. Was it a pacifier?

Hi :)!

It's not a pacifier. It is a ribbon that men ;) use in their jackets.

Regards,
mtbcm :)

Back
Top Bottom