Nobel Peace Prize though the years

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
December 10, 1993 - Nobel Peace Prize Ceremony at City Hall - Oslo, Norway - Nelson Mandela.
www.corbis.com

Attachments

• 0000291911_024.JPG
    0000291911_024.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 345
December 10, 1993 - Nobel Peace Prize Ceremony at City Hall - Oslo, Norway - Nelson Mandela, Frederik de Klerk, South African Native National Congress. King Harald and Queen Sonja.
www.corbis.com

Attachments

• 0000291911_025.JPG
    0000291911_025.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 365
December 10, 1993 - Nobel Peace Prize Ceremony at City Hall - Oslo, Norway - Nelson Mandela, Frederik de Klerk, South African Native National Congress.
www.corbis.com

Attachments

• 0000291911_026.JPG
    0000291911_026.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 390
December 10, 1993 - Nobel Peace Prize Ceremony at City Hall - Oslo, Norway - Nelson Mandela, Frederik de Klerk, South African Native National Congress.
www.corbis.com

Attachments

• 0000291911_027.JPG
    0000291911_027.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 355
December 10, 1993 - Nobel Peace Prize Ceremony at City Hall - Oslo, Norway - Nelson Mandela, Frederik de Klerk, South African Native National Congress. Being congradulated by King Harald and Queen Sonja.
www.corbis.com

Attachments

• 0000291911_030.JPG
    0000291911_030.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 428
Excellent Mandy,

From that last picture, I see Oslo might be going for nicer clothes at the receptions.
(and dinners?)

you have any pictures of Nobel Peace Prize every year or what ? or once year?

Sara Boyce

Sara,

I am not sure where Mandy is getting her pictures from.

I do know the Nobel Institute issues pictures for the Nobel prizes in Stockholm (occurring every year), and some for when the Nobel Peace Prize is given in Oslo (does not occur every year).

For the Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo, I have a thirst for more pictures than the few that seem to be available.

:huh: Why ?

2000 - The year Haakon and Mette-Marit became engaged - was the first Nobel arrangement in Oslo - Haakon and Märtha Louise ever participated in ...

Anna,

You are wondering why there isn't a Nobel Ceremony every year?
I think it has something to do, with there not being enough good 'high profile' people in the world who deserve recognition.

For instance, with Jimmy Carter ..... he was nominated a number of times in the past, but never succeeded.

And I found that when they made a 'practice' of giving it to organizations like the UN and Medicins sans Frontiers, that it left a feeling of diminished value with me. Maybe I have become de-sensitised to this Prize. I feel there is more significance to the Prizes awarded in Stockholm.

Haakon2 :(

I like the picture of Jimmy Carter and Willie Nelson that Mandy posted. Is there usually a concert along with the ceremony? I wouldn't have imagined a Willie Nelson concert in Norway otherwise.

This is off topic, but. . . Is the Norwegian singer Sputnik still around?

Is there usually a concert along with the ceremony?
What's a ceremony without a concert?

Is there dancing too?

Originally posted by KaiserBill@Sep 26th, 2003 - 11:54 pm
I like the picture of Jimmy Carter and Willie Nelson that Mandy posted. Is there usually a concert along with the ceremony? I wouldn't have imagined a Willie Nelson concert in Norway otherwise.

This is off topic, but. . . Is the Norwegian singer Sputnik still around?
These past years there have been a concert. I'm too young to remember the years before... Sorry...

(And Sputnik's still around, not as high profiled as he used to be, but still around.)

The peace prize (like the other prizes) is awarded every year in Oslo. The Nobel Prizes were instituted in 1901 when Norway and Sweden were still in a union. The founder, Alfred Nobel, wanted to have one prize given out in Norway, the others in Sweden.

In Norway, the royals only attend the ceremony, and only witnesses it, taking no part in it. The King does not give out the prize like the Swedish King does in Stockholm. This is because the peace prize is so much more political, and the royals are only guests, thus not associated with the prize itself.

After the ceremony there is a grand reception and (black-tie) dinner at a Hotel here in Oslo, hosted by the government, but this is never attended by the royals.

The day after the ceremony, there is a grand concert, which seem to attract more celebrities every year. It has only been a tradition for 10 years I think. Tomorrows concert will be hosetd by Michael Douglas and Catherina Zeta-Jones, that's why they attended the ceremony today. Among those performing are the Cardigans, Craig David and Tim McGraw.
A link to the concert website: http://www.nobel.no/concert/index.html

I believe members of the Norwegian royal family has attended the peace prize ceremony every year since 1906. Usually only the King was present, I think King Olav often went alone, as did probably King Haakon. It is only in later years that more members of the family has attended the ceremony. Crown Prince Haakon (with his then fiancée) and Princess Märtha-Louise first attended in 2000.
The concert was often attended by Queen Sonja during the first years, but later years only the younger royals have been there.

Originally posted by King Christian+Sep 20th, 2003 - 4:47 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (King Christian @ Sep 20th, 2003 - 4:47 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
For the Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo, I have a thirst for more pictures than the few that seem to be available.[/b]
Originally posted by anna@Sep 20th, 2003 - 5:11 pm
:huh:  Why ?

2000 - The year Haakon and Mette-Marit became engaged - was the first Nobel arrangement in Oslo - Haakon and Märtha Louise ever participated in ...
<!--QuoteBegin-King Christian
@Sep 27th, 2003 - 2:31 am
anna, you are wondering why there isn't a Nobel Ceremony every year ?
[/quote]
I didn't notice your post until now - sorry

When you see these quotes - you do get my "Why ?"

Nobel Peace Prize 1998

King Harald and Queen Sonja leave the Town Hall accompanied by Francis Sejersted

(photos from corbis)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom