Nobel Peace Prize 2003-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quite the honour. And an entirely unexpected recipient; at least for me.

Does this then mean the President will be either Stockholm or Oslo bound? If so, that's another royal family under his "belt"...;)

Olso, December 10th

Barack Obama will recieve the Nobel Peace Prize during the Award ceremony in Oslo on December 10th.
The members of the Norwegian Royal House will attend the ceremony (which takes place the same day as the Nobel Prize Ceremony in Stockholm).

Last edited:
This was, IMO, an unfair decision.
The world is just like it was before his election. He didn't achieve anything yet...

According to the statement, he was awarded the for his noble "vision". I always thought the prize was given to someone who had actually done some Important work for peace.

Obama receiving a Nobel Prize days after he refused to meet with Dalai Lama, just to keep the so democratic China happy is ridiculous, IMO.

:previous: Actually many people share your opinion.
The reactions to Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize are mixed.

In Norway people seem to be very sceptic about the desicion of the Nobel Committee.

Google Übersetzer

"He may develop a violent ego"
Experts surprised that Obama got the Peace Prize - Article

"There will be people who will say this is a marvelous, inspired, award. ..But next year let's give it to Miss World."
- Sky's foreign affairs editor Tim Marshall - Article

Other reactions to Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize

Last edited:
I was really shocked and a little disappointed when I heard about it. It is way too early for him to receiving an honor like this imo.

I was very surprised today when I heard the news. I´ve always liked Obama, but that is, IMO, too much. I agree with other posters that it´s still very early for him, he has been president for less than a year.

I agree that its too early for such a prestigious award.

I just hope everyone recognizes that President Obama didn't not seek or ask for the honor. Isn't there usually some type of backtalk that usually goes on. I mean, hints on who is going to get it. This came out of nowhere!

I agree; it's way too early. I'm not an Obama fan at all, but even if I were, this wouldn't make much sense to me. He hasn't been in office long enough to do anything significant, good or bad, yet. The Nobel should be for people who have done something great, not people who might do something great or who are likely to do something great.

I am actually not very impressed that President Obama has won this award. We can all have a "vision" of how we want the world to be, but following it through to a successful conclusion would be a good idea before awarding such an honour. I am not impressed that the President did not meet the Dalai Lama and if it is true that the reason was to keep China happy then this makes matters worse (I wouldn't mind so much if China actually contributed something worthwhile such as freedom, democracy and human/animal rights to the world).

I'm not please that Obama did not meet with the Dalai Lama either, but he's reasons are political, I'm sure. He is a world leader, not just an activist, so the freedom to express his views fully is somewhat restricted, I think.

Congratulations Mr. President for winning such prestigious award, even if I think it was giving to him as a symbolic gesture! That's my take on it, anyway.

It's very early for him.
I think this award should be for someone who had really done something for peace.

It is a quite peculiar choice. I am sure there is another candidate, who deserves the Nobel Peace Prize more than the 44th President of the USA.

I was really shocked and a little disappointed when I heard about it. It is way too early for him to receiving an honor like this imo.

I was quite shocked as well. While I'm a big Obama fan, I think it's too early in his presidency/life for such an honor. I'm not sure what he has done for the peace process to deserve this award, other than not be George W. Bush.:whistling:

It's very early for him.
I think this award should be for someone who had really done something for peace.

I'm not sure what he has done for the peace process to deserve this award, other than not be George W. Bush.:whistling:

I think this is the Nobel committee putting their personal political views--they like Obama and think he's really cool--over objective judgment of who really most deserves the award, which I think is a shame.:ermm:

I very much doubt that Mr Nobel had specified that recipients could be people with a vision. It would have been people who achieved and accomplished. Bearing in mind that the deadline for a candidate's name to be considered was 11 days after Mr Obama's inauguration, the whole process and decision seem a little too political on the committee's part.

Lots of perspectives

There has been a LOT of feedback and discussion since the announcement. I find myself quite torn about the issue as well. My initial reaction was similar to a lot of the critics of the award - "it's too soon", "what has he actually done or accomplished", etc. I even considered that by those standards that I, a supporter of Obama who voted for him and share his "vision" on the criteria for which he received the award, am equally qualified and should receive the award as well.

Which led me to consider that, to a certain extent, I did receive the award, as did all of us who truly hold the same vision of peace and nuclear disarmament. The difference between myself and President Obama is that no one knows me and while he enjoys the perks of his status and celebrity, he still made the choice to enter the very public world of politics and to take a strong stand.

I still have a large feeling that this is too soon but after researching more about the award, which was never granted to Gandhi (even after five nominations), I realized that the Nobel Peace Prize committee deserves more of the criticism because of their misguided adherence to awarding only a "living person" or organization.

In addition, a review of past recipients includes several who received the award for their efforts to "achieve peace in the Middle East" or for "a more peaceful world". Based on results, these individuals did not achieve anything either, so perhaps they were undeserving as well.

Other recipients, while I personally feel are qualified and deserving, received the award for efforts to peace, development or humanitarian work in small, isolated, or unknown countries or areas. Their contribution was vastly significant to a miniscule number of people in the world population. Most accounts of Obama at least grant the fact that he has improved the international image of one of the largest and most influential nations on the planet and that he has become an international figure of hope and inspiration that people everywhere can do and be better. By that measure, his contribution is more far-reaching than recipients whose work is limited to a smaller segment of the world.

Are there other people more deserving? I would say absolutely. But maybe they are unknown or not nominated. Is Obama undeserving? I would disagree. Obama and other leaders in the same mold inspire me (and I believe others) to believe that the world can be better. Is it too soon? I can only put it into context of Gandhi. If my biggest fear had been realized and Obama had been assassinated during the campaign or after taking office and the Nobel Prize committee used common sense and awarded the prize to a deceased person, I don't believe any of the negative criticism of the choice would even exist. Most people would call him a hero, martyr, inspiration, etc. But, like Gandhi, if Obama had died or been assissinated we wouldn't even have the conversation because the Nobel committee wouldn't even consider him.

My hope is that the world recognizes that the Prize actually is awarded to the actions/beliefs of a person rather than the individual receiving it. If that happens, then perhaps Obama's accomplishment will be realized in people acting on the inspiration and there might actually be results.

Sorry for the long post but this seems to be a big topic. The last point I'll make is that Obama cannot achieve peace in the Middle East. The UN, the EU, and any other international peace organization cannot achieve peace in the Middle East. The only people who can achieve peace in the Middle East are the people in the Middle East. So calls for him to actually achieve a result are misdirected. The most that he can do, without trying to force peace (like his predecessor), is state his opinion and make himself available to support efforts to end the conflict and work toward peace. AFAIK, that is what he has done.

Well said, rascal!

I was saddened to read the rather negative comments posted here regarding President Obama's Nobel Peace Prize win. But Rascal's comment here was so close to my own opinion that I wanted to compliment he/she and thank them for their post. Well done, Rascal!

There has been a LOT of feedback and discussion since the announcement. I find myself quite torn about the issue as well. My initial reaction was similar to a lot of the critics of the award - "it's too soon", "what has he actually done or accomplished", etc. I even considered that by those standards that I, a supporter of Obama who voted for him and share his "vision" on the criteria for which he received the award, am equally qualified and should receive the award as well.

Which led me to consider that, to a certain extent, I did receive the award, as did all of us who truly hold the same vision of peace and nuclear disarmament. The difference between myself and President Obama is that no one knows me and while he enjoys the perks of his status and celebrity, he still made the choice to enter the very public world of politics and to take a strong stand.

I still have a large feeling that this is too soon but after researching more about the award, which was never granted to Gandhi (even after five nominations), I realized that the Nobel Peace Prize committee deserves more of the criticism because of their misguided adherence to awarding only a "living person" or organization.

In addition, a review of past recipients includes several who received the award for their efforts to "achieve peace in the Middle East" or for "a more peaceful world". Based on results, these individuals did not achieve anything either, so perhaps they were undeserving as well.

Other recipients, while I personally feel are qualified and deserving, received the award for efforts to peace, development or humanitarian work in small, isolated, or unknown countries or areas. Their contribution was vastly significant to a miniscule number of people in the world population. Most accounts of Obama at least grant the fact that he has improved the international image of one of the largest and most influential nations on the planet and that he has become an international figure of hope and inspiration that people everywhere can do and be better. By that measure, his contribution is more far-reaching than recipients whose work is limited to a smaller segment of the world.

Are there other people more deserving? I would say absolutely. But maybe they are unknown or not nominated. Is Obama undeserving? I would disagree. Obama and other leaders in the same mold inspire me (and I believe others) to believe that the world can be better. Is it too soon? I can only put it into context of Gandhi. If my biggest fear had been realized and Obama had been assassinated during the campaign or after taking office and the Nobel Prize committee used common sense and awarded the prize to a deceased person, I don't believe any of the negative criticism of the choice would even exist. Most people would call him a hero, martyr, inspiration, etc. But, like Gandhi, if Obama had died or been assissinated we wouldn't even have the conversation because the Nobel committee wouldn't even consider him.

My hope is that the world recognizes that the Prize actually is awarded to the actions/beliefs of a person rather than the individual receiving it. If that happens, then perhaps Obama's accomplishment will be realized in people acting on the inspiration and there might actually be results.

Sorry for the long post but this seems to be a big topic. The last point I'll make is that Obama cannot achieve peace in the Middle East. The UN, the EU, and any other international peace organization cannot achieve peace in the Middle East. The only people who can achieve peace in the Middle East are the people in the Middle East. So calls for him to actually achieve a result are misdirected. The most that he can do, without trying to force peace (like his predecessor), is state his opinion and make himself available to support efforts to end the conflict and work toward peace. AFAIK, that is what he has done.

Wow Rascal, so well written!
Nobody knows wether is soon or later to achieve a prize, I personally think that Mr.Obama deserves this one...

I don't agree with the Academy. Why Mr Obama?
What has he done during these nine months for the Wolrd Peace? Send soldiers here and there because his relationships with Russia, conflicts with Iran, North Korea... Did he deserve for it because he's not Mr Bush or because he's First Afro-American/Black American/African American US President etc. and evereyone should like him?
Or maybe it was given him only for his nice words about the future not about the present things...
Who really know the true reason than it was said? Or maybe it's simple: the Academy want to start discussion about the World Peace in our present time?
For many people the NPP now after the announcement mean less than it mean before the announcement. But as someone said: tomorrow is another day...
I've hope than now before Mr Obama will do something he will think twice not only as President but as NPP owner. The Nobel Peace Prize oblige to something.

I very much doubt that Mr Nobel had specified that recipients could be people with a vision. It would have been people who achieved and accomplished. Bearing in mind that the deadline for a candidate's name to be considered was 11 days after Mr Obama's inauguration, the whole process and decision seem a little too political on the committee's part.

Don't most people have a vision for peace though? That's why I wonder if maybe the prize was intended for the American people who voted for a change in the way US deals with other countries, friends and foes alike. I doubt the prize could go to a whole country though - maybe Obama is just the representative of a greater change in the peace process by the USA.

IMO it's a ridiculous decision, really . And next year it will be given to Angelina Jolie ...Obama is being admired like a pop star and most of people are loosing their objectivity towards him...As far as I know he didn't achieve ANYTHING to be in the position to receive this price . I really don't know if I must laugh or cry ... Crazy world...

The awarding of the Peace Prize is always controversial. I voted for Obama in 2008, and don't get me wrong, I love me some Obama, but he hasn't done anywhere near what he said he would yet.

Don't most people have a vision for peace though? That's why I wonder if maybe the prize was intended for the American people who voted for a change in the way US deals with other countries, friends and foes alike. I doubt the prize could go to a whole country though - maybe Obama is just the representative of a greater change in the peace process by the USA.

I suppose it would make us feel better thinking that we all deserved it and it is us who received it.
Still they would never award me a Nobel prize in Medicine because I hope and wish there is a cure for cancer within the next few months. It is wishful thinking to assume the committe was just impressed
by Mr Obama's speeches and visions. It was a political decision, plain and simple and as such it diminishes the meaning of the award for this and future recipients.

Back
Top Bottom