The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-05-2016, 12:40 PM

King Haakon VII and Queen Maud

I would start here is a increasing discussion about the king's life Haakon VII and Queen Maud , feel free to share with me everything you know about them.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:53 PM
Nobility

Queen Maud's funeral

I was watching a Pathe video about the funeral of Queen Maud and it showed her coffin in a church which the commentator said was the "Lutheran Cathedral of Our Saviour" in Oslo, but it doesn't look like the cathedral. Looking at pictures of the cathedral there are windows in the east wall on either side of the altar but in the video there are none, and the altars are different. Does anyone know in what church the funeral took place?

Old 01-27-2017, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Here's the video of Queen Maud's funeral the high altar looks very different to the one in the video so you might be right Ian.

High Altar at Oslo Cathedral.
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...o-domkirke.jpg

21st of February 1575,Death of Claude de France,Duchess of Lorraine.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:24 PM
Nobility

Yes, that was the video I was watching and it looks nothing like the cathedral.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:52 AM
Serene Highness

Today in Royal History is the 123rd Wedding Anniversary of Princess Maud of Wales, daughter of King Edward VII of the United Kingdom, and Prince Carl of Denmark, later King Haakon VII of Norway.

The Royal Fly®️
Old 07-22-2019, 12:34 PM
Majesty

'The Secret of Queen Maud's Coffin'

https://www.talknorway.no/norway-roy...-mauds-coffin/

And more details about the 1938 funeral.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:06 PM
Serene Highness

Today in Royal History is the 147th birthday of King Haakon VII born Prince Carl of Denmark. A Danish prince, he was the first king of Norway after the 1905 dissolution of the union with Sweden.

The Royal Fly®️
Old 10-06-2019, 11:00 AM
Nobility

I recently watched a Norwegian language film on the BBC called The King's Choice (Kongens Nei) about King Haakon's role during the German invasion of Norway.

Haakon comes across as remarkable man, a true patriot & a fine king. What an inspirational story. I found it very emotional, especially a scene where Haakon talks to a very young soldier (a boy really) who is about to put his life on the line to protect his king.

Haakon comes across as literally the father of his people. I loved the way Norwegians raised their hats to their king as they passed by. Haakon's relationship with his grandson was so sweet & touching. Even gruff stern old men become like children with their grand children

Related to this is the story of the loss of HMS Glorious, HMS Acasta & HMS Ardent in which over 1500 men lost their lives. There is some suggestion that the commander of HMS Devonshire, which was evacuating King Haakon & the Crown Prince to England, did not pass on a message from Glorious that it had sighted German warships. Devonshire was under orders not to break radio silence. As a result the British had no idea that the ships had been attacked & sunk by the German battleships Scharnhorst & Gneisenau & no rescue attempt was put into effect. Nine hundred men are reported to have survived the initial sinking of Glorious but almost all of them succumbed over the next 72 hours in the cold waters of the North Sea waiting in vain for help that would never come. When Norwegian ships found the survivors three days later only 40 men were still alive. One of the worst British naval disasters of all times. What terrible events they were.

I will definitely rewatch this film. Very moving & uplifting. Alt for Norge.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I recently watched a Norwegian language film on the BBC called The King's Choice (Kongens Nei) about King Haakon's role during the German invasion of Norway.

Haakon comes across as remarkable man, a true patriot & a fine king. What an inspirational story. I found it very emotional, especially a scene where Haakon talks to a very young soldier (a boy really) who is about to put his life on the line to protect his king.

Haakon comes across as literally the father of his people. I loved the way Norwegians raised their hats to their king as they passed by. Haakon's relationship with his grandson was so sweet & touching. Even gruff stern old men become like children with their grand children

I will definitely rewatch this film. Very moving & uplifting. Alt for Norge.

I watched this on SBS Australia and like you I was also very moved by this film. I have always loved the Norwegian family as I admire the love King Harald has for his people but did not know much about King Haakon. This film showed what a remarkable king he was during the the war and I would encourage anyone who gets the chance to see it.