General News and Information for the Norwegian Royal Family: 2003 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Norway's Royal Family Under Guard

NewsTrack - Top News

Norway royal family under guard

OSLO, Norway, Dec. 8 (UPI) -- Security has been beefed up around the Norwegian royal family after a series of threats raised fears of an assassination attempt.
Authorities said they were guarding against an attack on the family, especially female members. At least 14 people were reported dangerously obsessed with Princess Martha Louise.
The newspaper Dagbladet said threats against the royals have escalated recently.
The most concrete threats have been directed against Princess Martha Louise, Aftenposten reported. But, Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Queen Sonja are also believed to be targets of possible attacks.
An alleged plot to kidnap Crown Prince Haakon several years ago was reported in late October.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20061208-011741-7052r

I think is horrible. If you are against the monarchy, that's fine. But don't take out your issues on people who have really no control over that situation especially children. That's not cool, to put it lightly. I hope the police works extra hard to find the people responsible for this state of affairs.

I think that's a shame! :bang: I hope they'll protect the RF from those people...
I wonder what's the problem of these guys. I mean if they were against the monarchy I would think that they planned attacks against the male members. Of course I don't hope so!) What's their problem with the female Royals and especially Märtha? I'm quite shocked.:ermm:

Aftenposted published an article about it:

Security tightened around Royal Family
Read the full article here.

Males obsessed with Princesses

Incidentally we have had a similar case in the Netherlands, this week:

[FONT=verdana, arial]According to Thursday's Algemeen Dagblad, a man was summoned before the Court of Justice in The Hague, for threathening against life. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, arial]Via the European alarm-number 112 the man threathened "to blow a bullet through the heads of the little Princesses" (Princess Catharina-Amalia and Princess Alexia).

The alarmcentrale took the threat very serious and immediately informed the royal family. A member of staff working for the family laid down a complaint. The 35-years old Amsterdamer told the Court of Justice he actually 'cherished warm feelings for Máxima'. The Court of Justice ordered an extended psychiatric report about the man. After this, the case will be continued in Court.

[/FONT]

What has the world come to? This is simply awful! I hope the police get to the bottom of this and fix it.

That's just terrible! May God protect them at all times from those crazy and evil people.

Either the crazies are getting more vocal and getting caught faster or those around several RFs feel its better to reveal these threats publicly.

In the last year, threats against the British, Norway, Denmark, Jordan, Monaco and Greek RFs have come to light (though some of them were about plots/attempts years old).

I was not aware of threats made directly against the Danish royals. I know there have been a couple of security concerns regarding possible terrorist acts around royal residences (Amalienborg the most notable), but nothing which specifically named a member of the family they (whoever they are) intended to harm :ohmy:

Poor Martha-Louise. How frightening this must be. And for Mette-Marit and Sonja aswell. There are some real whackjobs out there!

At least the queen and the crown princess live in palaces, well secured I'm assuming, but P Martha:ermm:, never seen her home but still a bit frightning:sad:

Maybe Märtha Louise should think about leaving Norway for a while.. She will maybe go to the United States again until the police found those responsible. Her children would be more safe there, too... Anyway I can understand if she doesn't want to "run-away"..:rolleyes:

I really can't believe that! The people who want to do such things are crazy! :ohmy: I mean, I don't like Britney Spears, but that doesn't mean I want to assassinate her :rolleyes:

I wasn't aware about the threats to other RFs either, well except for King JC of Spain- but those threats were 'politically motivated' and came very close to happening!!

I hope that the police sort it all out soon

Surname of the Norwegian Royal Family

Hey, I'm not sure where to ask this but I've been doing some research on the Norwegian royal family and I'm curious what their surname is? Can anyone help me out?

Aurora810 said:
Hey, I'm not sure where to ask this but I've been doing some research on the Norwegian royal family and I'm curious what their surname is? Can anyone help me out?
They don't actually have a surname per se, but they're part of the Schlesvig-Holstein-Sønderborg-Glücksburg "dynasty" in the same way the Danish royal family are.

norwegianne said:
They don't actually have a surname per se, but they're part of the Schlesvig-Holstein-Sønderborg-Glücksburg "dynasty" in the same way the Danish royal family are.

That's interesting because that's why I was asking I know that the Danish royal family goes by Glucksburg so I was wondering if the NRF also went by Glucksburg. Well they really don't need a surname anyways since their royalty. ;)

What ethnicites is the Norwegian Royal Fmaily made up of? Besides Norwegian?

Is there any pics of the Norwegian Royal family all of the current family?

What langauges do they speak besides Norwegian and what accents do they have when they speak English?

Well as for your questions Lucia Rose. The Norwegian royal family have Norwegian, Danish, and Swedish ethnicity. They may have some others but these are the ones I'm sure about. The family originally long ago came from Denmark and would technically have the same surname Glucksburg just like the Danish RF. However, the Norwegian royals don't use a surname. King Harald's father was married to a Swedish princess so that is how Swedish comes into their ethnicity. I'm not sure what exactly the ethnicity is of Queen Sonja other than Norwegian.

As for the languages they speak, obviously Norwegian and I would imagine they can speak some of the other Scandinavian languages as well. Also they speak very good English. Haakon studied at the University of California and has perfected his English very much so. And his sister Martha also has great English. They can both speak it and sound American. Basically no detection of an accent. I have actually seen them both do tv interviews, that's how I know.

ANP Beeldbank Here is the Christmas photo from 2006 of the family all together. However, there are many other photos of them all together scattered throughout many different threads. Plus, coming up later on in May is the National holiday that will be another good photo opportunity for us to see them all together.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f16/state-visit-austria-april-2007-a-12210.html This thread is full of pics of the family.

Hope this answers your questions good enough!

Last edited:
They also have some British ethnicity. King Haakon VII, who was born a Danish Prince, married Princess Maud of Wales, a daughter of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.

Lucia Rose said:
Is there any pics of the Norwegian Royal family all of the current family?
Here you can see a picture of the whole Family:
kongehuset.no - Kongefamilien
from the left to t.r. -- Princess Astrid, Johan Martin Ferner, Ari Behn, Princess Märtha-Louise, Queen Sonja, King Harald, Princess Ingrid Alexandra, Crown Prince Haakon Magnus, Marius Borg Høiby , Prince Sverre Magnus, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Princess Ragnhild, Erling Sven Lorentzen

Lucia Rose said:
What langauges do they speak besides Norwegian and what accents do they have when they speak English?
King Harald grew up in the USA. After the end of the second World War he ruturned to Norway. So he might have an american accent.

Queen Sonja studied in Cambridge , so I guess she has an british accent...

Last edited:
Her_Majesty said:
King Harald grew up in the USA. After the end of the second World War he ruturned to Norway. So he might have an american accent.

I didn't knew that he had grew up in the USA, was it for safety reasons? (since it was war)

Her_Majesty said:

True, but he also studied at Baliol college (in Oxford I think :ohmy: ). It's more than 60 years since the King returend from USA, so the American English traces have been washed out since then (kids adapt very well to languages). I think he has a neither nor accent when it comes to English. Then I'd say that CP Haakon's accent is more American, since he studied at Berkeley, not so long ago.

Royalbooks said:
I didn't knew that he had grew up in the USA, was it for safety reasons? (since it was war)

Yes, CP Märtha and the kids stayed for the duration of the war in USA (they spent some months in Sweden but that didn't work out). And the Crown Princely couple had become friends with President and First Lady Roosevelt during their tour of the USA in the 30s. So CP Märtha and the kids came on his invitation to stay (not in the White house). The kids loved it, because they could be free and nobody knew who they were. But they did miss daddy and grandpa in London though. But CP Olav did visit quite often as I've understood.

Princess Maud was more than 1/2 German though, as her grandmother was Queen Victoria and the Hannovers were definitely mostly German, and they married German princes and princesses. So The NRF is partially German, too.

KikkiB said:
Yes, CP Märtha and the kids stayed for the duration of the war in USA (they spent some months in Sweden but that didn't work out). And the Crown Princely couple had become friends with President and First Lady Roosevelt during their tour of the USA in the 30s. So CP Märtha and the kids came on his invitation to stay (not in the White house). The kids loved it, because they could be free and nobody knew who they were. But they did miss daddy and grandpa in London though. But CP Olav did visit quite often as I've understood.

Aha, I see. Thanks so much for this info :flowers:

Lucia Rose said:
What ethnicites is the Norwegian Royal Fmaily made up of? Besides Norwegian?
(Okay, this is mostly by memory, so apologies for any fuzzy details).

It depends on how far back you go. Queen Sonja is Norwegian back quite a lot of generations. The book, Sonja - Norges Kronprinsesse, points out that on her mother's side, there was a Danish ancestor who had immigrated to Norway in the 1600s. (Given that Norway and Denmark were in a union then, that's not so odd.) Other than that, pretty much Norwegian.

It's the same with Mette-Marit.

King Harald's mother - Crown Princess Märtha - was a Swedish princess, born to a Swedish prince (Carl of Sweden) and a Danish princess (Ingeborg of Denmark). Carl's mother was born Sophie of Nassau-Weilburg, with all the relatives on that side- (apologies for any misspelling). His paternal grandmother was Josephine of Leuchtenberg, who was a granddaughter of the woman who would come to be known as Empress Josephine of France. Other than that - on that side - was the French officer, who was elected the heir to the Swedish throne.

As for Ingeborg, Märtha's mother, she was born a Princess of Denmark, but part Swedish because of her mother, Lovisa of Sweden, and also part Dutch because of her maternal grandmother Lovisa of the Netherlands... and so on.

From his father's side King Harald is - British from his father's mother, born Maud of Wales, (but also Danish from her mother Alexandra of Denmark), a bit of German from various sources, Danish from his father's father - born Carl of Denmark (brother to Ingeborg of Denmark, see above.) ... and so on... there are so many intermarriages that talking of one ethnicity… I'd say European, mostly.

Wow there is already a lot of info in this thread. But frankly it is much too complicated to grasp. I mean this very well could be a never ending thread depending on how far back one goes...We could soon have the entire genealogy of the Norwegian RF. Yikes, my head is already spinning.

Lucia Rose said:

I have heard ML speaking English quite a few times and she sounds British. I think she puts this down to having an English nanny growing and going to Oxford university to study.

I have heard ML speak English, she speaks it perfectly, although I can't tell if it is an American or a British accent. King Harald and Queen Sonja sound British... most of that generation of royals speak with British accents, since most went to school in Britain, but this generation mostly goes to America to study. Mette-Marit sounds pretty American, but I've never heard Haakon speak English.

Back
Top Bottom