General News and Information for the Norwegian Royal Family: 2003 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Sorry, but I disagree. It's not IA's job to pick up for her mother. She's still a child. It's nice that she's been doing small engagements, but her #1 responsibility at the moment should be to finish school and have a solid educational background.

If MM's illness becomes so grave that she can't do any engagements at all, then I'd expect the King, Queen, Haakon, (and Martha Louise, to a lesser extent) to pick up the slack. Ingrid Alexandra needs to remain a teenager and "responsibility free" as long as possible. Why rush her into a role when there are actual adults who can do it?

(I also feel that fandom has made Mette-Marit a lot sicker than she actually is. I didn't get the impression from the announcement that she was on death's door step. Didn't her doctors say she had a slow progressing version of the illness?)

The sad point I, and others I believe, is making is that Ingrid may not have the option of solely focusing on her education.

If Mette-Marit's condition deteriorates within the next few years, which is not unlikely, there is really only one fully fit for fight adult left in the NRF.
The King is increasingly frail and that combined with his age, means that we must consider the possibility that he will not be around for more than a few more years. - Either because he dies or simply become increasingly unable to fulfill his duties.
Queen Sonia is getting older as well.

As much as I'm sure they would like to, they simply cannot step up more than what they already do.

Then we have Märtha Louise. Well, technically speaking she is no longer a working member of the NRF. And judging from Royal Norway's assessments and opinion, which I value very much, she does not appear particularly suited nor willing to be of assistance in this matter.
Just as bad, Märtha Louise does not appear to command much public respect. So in a sense her "lending a hand" so to speak, may be more contra-productive that than Ingrid increasing her workload, who on top of that will be showered in public sympathy.

Also, keep in mind that Ingrid will joined a few years later by her younger brother, Sverre.
So in ten years, there may very well, in the worst case but not unlikely scenario, be only three adult representatives for Norway, Haakon, Ingrid and Sverre.
It's what happens in the next ten years that is crucial. After that the workload can be shared more. But it will still be hard though! Three working adults, of which two at the same time has to undergo an extensive education and preparation, is a critical low number!

I sincerely hope Mette-Marit will be around and in relative good form in ten years. First and foremost for the sake of her children, but also for Norway.
But we have to take into consideration that she may have as little as five years left from now.

Last edited:
Why is Martha Louise non-working royal?
Her parents have only Haakon and her, the Royal family doesn't "suffer" from the excessive amount of working royals

I think that Ingrid must assume more of its responsibility than Martha louise. In the first place, both olav and harald discriminated to Martha, and i think that the problem is of the heir male, in this case of Haakon, and of his machist father the King, to resolve this. I hope that Martha left to the devil by the word the monarchical institution that discriminated it, and to the whole society for treating it of mental imbalances for its beliefs.

uhhmm...I must confess I am pretty speechless about your very weird post...! King Harald never "discriminated" his own daughter, who he loves, nor is he "machist"! You don´t really seem to know anything about this family, except may be out of gossip magazines! If you would, you would never write such things.
By the way, I thank God every day on my knees that Haakon is the Crown Prince and not his sister who has hardly proven she would have been suitable for the "job"....!

If Mette-Marit's condition deteriorates within the next few years, which is not unlikely, there is really only one fully fit for fight adult left in the NRF.
The King is increasingly frail and that combined with his age, means that we must consider the possibility that he will not be around for more than a few more years. - Either because he dies or simply become increasingly unable to fulfill his duties.
Queen Sonia is getting older as well.

As much as I'm sure they would like to, they simply cannot step up more than what they already do.

Then we have Märtha Louise. Well, technically speaking she is no longer a working member of the NRF. And judging from Royal Norway's assessments and opinion, which I value very much, she does not appear particularly suited nor willing to be of assistance in this matter.
Just as bad, Märtha Louise does not appear to command much public respect. So in a sense her "lending a hand" so to speak, may be more contra-productive that than Ingrid increasing her workload, who on top of that will be showered in public sympathy.

Also, keep in mind that Ingrid will joined a few years later by her younger brother, Sverre.
So in ten years, there may very well, in the worst case but not unlikely scenario, be only three adult representatives for Norway, Haakon, Ingrid and Sverre.
It's what happens in the next ten years that is crucial. After that the workload can be shared more. But it will still be hard though! Three working adults, of which two at the same time has to undergo an extensive education and preparation, is a critical low number!

I sincerely hope Mette-Marit will be around and in relative good form in ten years. First and foremost for the sake of her children, but also for Norway.
But we have to take into consideration that she may have as little as five years left from now.
If I understand things correctly, Sverre will not join Ingrid Alexandra in taking part of the workload as he is NOT a member of the royal house. So, while he might show up on some of the major events, it would be contrary to the decision taken at his birth to ask him to step up, even if it is only Haakon and Ingrid Alexandra left doing most of the work.

If I understand things correctly, Sverre will not join Ingrid Alexandra in taking part of the workload as he is NOT a member of the royal house. So, while he might show up on some of the major events, it would be contrary to the decision taken at his birth to ask him to step up, even if it is only Haakon and Ingrid Alexandra left doing most of the work.

He is third in line for the throne, regardless of whatever decisions were made in the past circumstances change. So it may be a matter of necessity to elevate his position and his workload.

It indeed shows that the original decision was not the smartest (and you would think that the family knows what the risks are on depending on so few family members) but getting back on that decision and afterwards kicking him out again might not be a smart idea either.

Agree.
But if his role is to be changed, the decision has to be made soon. I.e. within the next couple of years.

Anyway, it is IMO a fairly simple matter to give him some jobs for the NRF. He doesn't have to have a direct constitutional role, but he sure can represent the NRF domestically. That IMO would be a tremendous help for Haakon and Ingrid.

Also, it might be beneficial for him as well.
In the worst case scenario Sverre will lose his mother and grandfather (perhaps even his grandmother!) within a few years. His father and sister can to some extent work on their grief and loss by working and doing their duty. And the circumstances will dictate that Ingrid and Haakon will become closer - not least seen through the eyes of a grief-stricken boy.
So I think it would help Sverre at lot, if he is allowed to "do his bit" in order to help his father and sister. That involves him and makes him a part of it.
Leaving him out would IMO be a kind of psychological cruelty.

i think that ingrid must assume more of its responsibility than martha louise. In the first place, both olav and harald discriminated to martha, and i think that the problem is of the heir male, in this case of haakon, and of his machist father the king, to resolve this. I hope that martha left to the devil by the word the monarchical institution that discriminated it, and to the whole society for treating it of mental imbalances for its beliefs.
Hmm, the ''machist'' father of Haakon, whom you're talking about, is actually unknown to me.

Because to my knowledge, Haakon has only one father, and that is a man known for his strong support for women, the Norwegian LGBT-community and his two children. - And whom Märtha (with tears in her eyes) has described in interviews as an amazing father who's always been there for her and supported her through difficult periods of life, even been talking about his ''magical kindness'' on Instagram.

And when it comes to the altering of Article 6 (English link) in the Constitution to introduce absolute primogeniture among the grandchildren and further eligible descendants of the then CP Harald in 1990, it was the government/Storting who (after advise from King Olav V) decided that ''man kan ikke ta en hest ut av racet når det allerede er startet.''
Translated to: ''One cannot take a horse out of the race when it has already started,'' as Olav, according to Märtha, said it. (The ''horse'' being Haakon who was already 17-years-old at the time.)
Something the Princess herself was actually ''very happy about,'' since she, anyway, struggled with attending royal engagements, due to her already then ''high-sensitivity.''

--------------------

Sorry, but i disagree. It's not ia's job to pick up for her mother. She's still a child. It's nice that she's been doing small engagements, but her #1 responsibility at the moment should be to finish school and have a solid educational background.
She has been on the balcony for the televised May 17th celebrations for years, attended several televised-events to celebrate The Regent-Couple's Silver Jubilee in 2016, their 80th Birthdays in 2017 and their Goldden Vedding Anniversary in 2018, christened two ships (the last one in a televised ceremony), where she also spoke to reporters, so not bad.

And she will of course not be a full-time-working royal before she has fulfilled school and got herself an education.

--------------------

if mm's illness becomes so grave that she can't do any engagements at all, then i'd expect the king, queen, haakon, (and martha louise, to a lesser extent) to pick up the slack. Ingrid alexandra needs to remain a teenager and "responsibility free" as long as possible. Why rush her into a role when there are actual adults who can do it?
The King: Is an almost 82-year-old man with back/leg-problems who's been operated for bladder cancer in 2003, for heart-problems in 2005 - and treated in hospital for an infection in 2017.
And despite this, he had around 314 engagements last year, so NOT at all room for more.

The Queen: Is amazingly fit and active for her age at 81, still out in the mountains/wods on her trekking/skiing-tours and everything, but she suffers from arthritis - and has had to cancel some commitments due to pain in resent years.
But she had around 134 engagements in 2018 - plus several non-official meetings and stuff regarding the daily running of the Royal Estates, etc.

The Crown Prince: Was busy with around 240 engagements last year, which is more than enough IMO.

--------------------

(i also feel that fandom has made mette-marit a lot sicker than she actually is. I didn't get the impression from the announcement that she was on death's door step. Didn't her doctors say she had a slow progressing version of the illness?)
Yes! And therefore she can live with it for about 10-15 years, although the average survival-rate for ''Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis'' (which is thought to be the type she's suffering from) is unfortunately just 3-5 years from being diagnosed.

--------------------

Why is Martha Louise non-working royal?
Her parents have only Haakon and her, the Royal family doesn't "suffer" from the excessive amount of working royals
Because The King wanted to continue the tradition with having a small Royal House. I.e. the monarch/consort plus the heir/wife.

Read more in the May 17th thread, posts 579-589.

It was the same with Sverre, and since he was never going to have a full-time-royal role anyway, the CP-Couple advised HM to not make him a RH-member at his birth (hence no Royal Highness style, official flag-day on his birthday, or tax-free apanage). - Because in that way, he wouldn't have to go through the burden of losing it all, when he was to marry.

The monarch can of course redo the decision, but that would REALLY surprise me.

But in the scenario of Haakon and Ingrid being the two only living (or capable) members of The Royal House, then I can see him getting into a role, similar to that of Princess Astrid.

So, let's go through it: Well, following her mother's death in 1954, she became Norway's first-lady.
A role she had (also after her wedding in 1961, when she ceased to be a member of the Royal House and therefore lost the style of Royal Highness) until her brother's wedding in 1968, when Sonja became the new first-lady.
But she continued to attend a lot of royal events also after that, and was in reality a full-time-working member of The RF until the early 2000s, when her health began to decline.
And although she didn't receive her own apanage, all her costs were covered by the court.

Last edited:
Well, interest in The RF has gone from great to greater here in recent years, something the TV-companies of course know how to exploit. - Because NRK (the state-owned Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation, which is the largest media organisation in Norway) is now in the production-fase of their new eight-episode series, ''Atlantic Crossing,'' which is about Crown Princess Märtha's WWII-efforts during her stay in The US with her 3 children - and her enigmatic relationship with Franklin D. Roosevelt. (Eya, BTW, wrote a bit about it in The Electronic Domain, back in November.)
The series is a co-production with DR (The Danish Broadcasting Corporation) and SVT (Sweden's Television), and will be shown on both Norwegian, Danish and Swedish TV-channels in 2021 or 2022. - And is already being described as one of the biggest TV-productions in Scandinavian history.

Cast: CP Märtha will be played by Sofia Helin (English Wikipedia-link), Roosevelt by Kyle MacLachlan (English Wikipedia-link) and CP Olav by Tobias Santelmann (English Wikipedia-link).

Very little information about the series in English, but found this site (link).

And be aware that the Norwegian name is: ''Alt for Norge'' (All for Norway), which has been the royal motto of Norwegian monarchs, since 1905.

While the Scandinavian entertainment company, Nordic Film, together with the commercial TV2 Group (Norway's second largest media company) is planning a series about King Haakon VII (known to almost everyone here as The King who said NO to Hitler).
It will start from when he as Prince Carl of Denmark was elected King of Norway in 1905 - and last until his death in 1957 as ''King Haakon the Great'' (which the VG-newspaper described him as on their front page, at the time).
The series will cost around 100 million NOK and is scheduled to be aired in 2022. It will most likely be bought by Danish TV2 and Swedish TV4 as well.

There's also been rumors of an NRK series about CP Harald and Sonja Haraldsen's 9-year struggle for love, but we don't know anything for sure yet.

Last edited:
The Crown Princess seems in good health after the alarming news of last year

Well, interest in The RF has gone from great to greater here in recent years, something the TV-companies of course know how to exploit.

Have you got any speculations on the reasons that has happened? In any event, it demonstrates that the people are not merely interested in royal weddings or births, which is a positive thing for the monarchy.

- Because NRK (the state-owned Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation, which is the largest media organisation in Norway) is now in the production-fase of their new eight-episode series, ''Atlantic Crossing,'' which is about Crown Princess Märtha's WWII-efforts during her stay in The US with her 3 children - and her enigmatic relationship with Franklin D. Roosevelt. (Eya, BTW, wrote a bit about it in The Electronic Domain, back in November.)
The series is a co-production with DR (The Danish Broadcasting Corporation) and SVT (Sweden's Television), and will be shown on both Norwegian, Danish and Swedish TV-channels in 2021 or 2022. - And is already being described as one of the biggest TV-productions in Scandinavian history.

Cast: CP Märtha will be played by Sofia Helin (English Wikipedia-link), Roosevelt by Kyle MacLachlan (English Wikipedia-link) and CP Olav by Tobias Santelmann (English Wikipedia-link).

Very little information about the series in English, but found this site (link).

And be aware that the Norwegian name is: ''Alt for Norge'' (All for Norway), which has been the royal motto of Norwegian monarchs, since 1905.

Interesting; the Swedish kings adopt a new motto when ascending the throne. I wonder if King Harald will comment on the series depicting his beloved mother.

While the Scandinavian entertainment company, Nordic Film, together with the commercial TV2 Group (Norway's second largest media company) is planning a series about King Haakon VII (known to almost everyone here as The King who said NO to Hitler).
It will start from when he as Prince Carl of Denmark was elected King of Norway in 1905 - and last until his death in 1957 as ''King Haakon the Great'' (which the VG-newspaper described him as on their front page, at the time).
The series will cost around 100 million NOK and is scheduled to be aired in 2022. It will most likely be bought by Danish TV2 and Swedish TV4 as well.

I would have liked them to delve into his experiences as Prince Carl of Denmark (didn't he witness his classmate's tragic death at the time he was a cadet, or something in that vein?), but that is good news.

Last edited:
Have you got any speculations on the reasons that has happened? In any event, it demonstrates that the people are not merely interested in royal weddings or births, which is a positive thing for the monarchy.
The King's increasing (although always very high) personal popularity, which is due to more and more focus on his warm and charismatic personality and his unifying and widely praised speeches (most of which he writes himself with some help from his private secretary, theologian, Knut Brakstad), his handling of the July 22nd attacks in 2011 and his visits to crisis-areas in Norway (such as, places hit by storms, floods and fires).
Although, the large-scale celebrations of The Silver Jubilee in 2016, the 80th Birthdays in 2017 and the Golden Wedding Anniversary last year, is also a factor, I think.

--------------------

Interesting; the Swedish kings adopt a new motto when ascending the throne.
Although they could have chosen their own mottos, both King Olav and King Harald have said that they, as King Haakon, sees the phrase ''Alt for Norge'' (All for Norway) as essential to their reigns.

--------------------

I wonder if King Harald will comment on the series depicting his beloved mother.
He did comment on the 2016-film about his grandfather, The King's Choice (English Wikipedia link). So, if he's asked about it, then I think he will.

--------------------

I would have liked them to delve into his experiences as Prince Carl of Denmark.
Well, in the NRK article I read (link), it was stated that the series, which is inspired by the Netflix drama The Crown and based on the reliable/serious Royal Author, Tor Bomann-Larsen's book-series about King Haakon and Queen Maud: ''Skal følge Haakons liv fra han som dansk prins hentes som konge til Norge og helt til hans død.'' (''Will follow Haakon's life from he as a Danish prince is brought to Norway as king and until his death.'')
However, in an Aftenposten article (which one must have a subscription to read), producer Aage Aaberge in Nordic Film said that: ''TV-serien begynner når kong Haakon ennå er en ung ugift prins og sjøkadett i dansk tjeneste.'' (''The TV series begins when King Haakon is still a young unmarried prince and sea cadet in Danish service.'')

--------------------

Didn't he witness his classmate's tragic death at the time he was a cadet, or something in that vein?
Yes, he was the only witness when one of his co-cadets, Kai Simonsen, committed suicide in 1891.
And there were actually some rumors that they had a sexual relationship and that it was Prince Carl who shot him, something Norwegian Prime Minister, Christian Michelsen denied during a meeting in The Storting in October 1905, just a month before Norway had a new king with the name of Haakon VII.

So, expect both this and author, Bomann-Larsen's controversial hypothesis that ''King Olav is not the son of King Haakon'' to be themes of the series, which BTW will have the name ''Vintertronen'' (The Winter Throne).

Last edited:
Well, according to TV2's Royal Expert, Kjell Arne Totland, The State Flag is flying over The Royal Palace (link). - Which means that both monarch and heir are out of the country.

Read about why here: Norwegian Royal flag-rules - English Royal House article.

And to those wondering why they are overseas? Hmm, probably because The Regent-Couple and The CP-Family (either together or separately) are on winter-holiday (week-long school-holiday).

Another thing to mention is the fact that Their Majesties now usually take some days abroad recharging their batteries before official overseas visits, such as spending five days in Seefeld, Austria to attend The Nordic World Ski Championships from February 25th.

Märtha OTOH (as one can see from her own thread) is home in Norway, where she flies from one television-studio to another talking about horses, her ''high-sensitivity'' and angels. - Most recently today, when she was a guest in TV2's breakfast show ''God Morgen Norge'' (God Morning Norway).

Last edited:
The King's increasing (although always very high) personal popularity, which is due to more and more focus on his warm and charismatic personality and his unifying and widely praised speeches (most of which he writes himself with some help from his private secretary, theologian, Knut Brakstad), his handling of the July 22nd attacks in 2011 and his visits to crisis-areas in Norway (such as, places hit by storms, floods and fires).
Although, the large-scale celebrations of The Silver Jubilee in 2016, the 80th Birthdays in 2017 and the Golden Wedding Anniversary last year, is also a factor, I think.

Thanks! The decision that the two series will not premiere until 2022 speaks to the producers' confidence that King Harald can be relied on to uphold the popularity of the monarchy for the foreseeable future.

Yes, he was the only witness when one of his co-cadets, Kai Simonsen, committed suicide in 1891.
And there were actually some rumors that they had a sexual relationship and that it was Prince Carl who shot him, something Norwegian Prime Minister, Christian Michelsen denied during a meeting in The Storting in October 1905, just a month before Norway had a new king with the name of Haakon VII.

So, expect both this and author, Bomann-Larsen's controversial hypothesis that ''King Olav is not the son of King Haakon'' to be themes of the series, which BTW will have the name ''Vintertronen'' (The Winter Throne).

That would be interesting, but I wonder if it is likely. With the validity of both theories disputed, and the stories apparently not being widespread in King Haakon's lifetime, one imagines that incorporating them into the script of a biopic series would meet with some difficulties.

A lovely picture of the Royal Family for the Birthday of the King today!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuJ8Jvohmbj/

"Dear dad, grandfather and father-in-law. We are all so infinitely happy in you. Your humor, your closeness, your interest in life are contagious and we always look forward to every second we are together. Happy Birthday!"

Last edited:
So lovely to see Harald with all his family! I hope he's been having a great birthday.

"Dear dad, grandfather and father-in-law. We are all so infinitely happy in you. Your humor, your closeness, your interest in life are contagious and we always look forward to every second we are together. Happy Birthday!"

For transparency: the photo is from August 2018 in Svalbard. RoyalNorway mentioned above that the King/Queen and CP families are out of the country, though we don't know if they're together or not.

I thought Harald invited everyone to South Africa last year. Maybe they're there again—though, M-L went last year and she seems to still be in Norway this year.

Harald does seem like he’d be a good humoured, loving father and a doting grandfather. He physically resembles my own grandfather a little so I may be biased. ;)

They look like a random family - with an overrepresentation of women/girls :D

They look like a random family - with an overrepresentation of women/girls :D

Something they have in common with the Dutch royal family. Sverre and Claus could share stories of being the only grandson surrounded by girls :cool:

Nice family photo, even if an older one. :flowers:

Looks like Haakon has on some metallic, coppery-colored shoes. Is this even possible?

Perhaps someone's thrown the ratty brown pair Haakon almost invariably wears with everything away!

I have always liked King Harold, he reminds me of a lovable giant teddy bear who gives great hugs. Wishing him a joyous Birthday and many more to come!

Thanks! The decision that the two series will not premiere until 2022 speaks to the producers' confidence that King Harald can be relied on to uphold the popularity of the monarchy for the foreseeable future.
Although The King's personal popularity has been important (especially when it comes to interest in the royal family, which was what we discussed above), the monarchy as an institution is (according to polls) popular in itself, mainly due to the fact that a large majority of people would never choose a devisive politician as an apolitical/political president instead of an apolitical constitutional monarch. And despite the ''somewhat'' justified media-criticism of The CP-Couple (at least IMO) which has led to a dip in their personal popularity, I am now pretty sure that the public support for the monarchy will continue also under King Haakon VIII.

Especially when you take the political environment here into account. I mean in just a year, five MPs have had to withdraw from their party-positions, due to stuff ranging from sharing of sensitive information, sexual harassment, false bills and spreading of pornography to minors. And that's just in addition to the stuff mentioned in the constitutional thread through 2018. I.e. the drama that led to the resignations of government-ministers, Listhaug & Sandberg and Olemic Thommessen as President of The Storting (or The ''Scandalting'' as it's now referred to in the media).

--------------------

That would be interesting, but I wonder if it is likely. With the validity of both theories disputed, and the stories apparently not being widespread in King Haakon's lifetime, one imagines that incorporating them into the script of a biopic series would meet with some difficulties.
Pretty likely, since producer Aage Aaberge has said: ''Jeg er ikke bekymret for å lage en serie som inneholder slike påstander'' (I'm not worried about making a series containing such claims).

--------------------

RoyalNorway mentioned above that the King/Queen and CP families are out of the country, though we don't know if they're together or not.
We now know (at least according to TV2's reliable Royal Expert, Kjell Arne Totland) that they were on separate holidays, though we don't know where.

-------------------

I thought Harald invited everyone to South Africa last year. Maybe they're there again—though, M-L went last year and she seems to still be in Norway this year.
That was in February 2017, to celebrate The King's 80th Birthday! ?

Been several Norwegian royal stories in the media here (both before and under my now 5-week holiday) which I didn't have time to write about, including stuff regarding The Crown Princess's health, everything Märtha, The Regent-Couple's holiday and a story about Marius' dog (yes, I said dog). Well, will try to write about both that and give you some updates about *Ingrid's confirmation* in the coming days (an event I will have full coverage of).

But now to something very sad that has sent shockwaves over the Norwegian media and the palace.
Because as some of you may know from various news-outlets in Norway and twitter: TV2's Royal Expert/commentator, the ''highly renowned, very knowledgeable, detail-oriented and irreplaceable'' Kjell Arne Totland has died at the age of 74 following a short illness.

About him: Short explained, he was a teacher in his home city Bergen who had become interested in royalty after having read books and magazines for his royal-mad mother when she was severely ill. And when he sent letters upon letters to the Norwegian rag-mag Se og Hør during the late 1980s to complain about errors in their royal coverage, it resulted in him (after having turned it down more than once) being offered a job as their royal editor in 1991, the year The King acceded to the throne. And was until he wanted more freedom to comment on TV and stuff in 2011, the only reliable person there.

But after having commented on royal stuff for NRK, TV2 and several newspapers, TV2 managed to convince him in 2013 to enter into an exclusive contract with them as their ''kongehusekspert på alle kanalens programflater og plattformer'' (royal house expert on all the channel's program-surfaces and platforms). - To the disappointment of NRK, which also wanted him.

And that was the start of seven years of which we have never seen anything like in other monarchies when it comes to royal experts/commentators. Yes, he would often appear several times a week on TV2 News Channel and News-shows on their main channel TV2 to explain/comment on day-to-day royal engagements and large-scale events such as The King's Silver/Consecration Jubilee celebrations in 2016, The Regent-Couple's 80th Birthday celebrations in 2017, The Regent-Couple's Golden Wedding Anniversary celebrations in 2018 and various royal events abroad, where he annoyingly spoke the whole time, also over the music. LOL. I.e. about history, architecture of the various palaces, popularity of the various monarchies, orders, uniforms, military-displays, jewellery, dresses, shoes, etc, etc. And to those familiar with Danish media, well, he was a mixture of Christian Eugen-Olsen (former master of ceremonies at the Danish court, now royal commentator/expert), Trine Larsen (royal reporter at BILLED-BLADET) and Ulla Terkelsen (foreign correspondent and commentator/expert of royal events on TV2dk). - Or as he has been called here, royal journalism's own David Attenborough.
And when asked about his job in an interview a few years ago, he said he 'felt ''privileged'' to be able to live off his hobby.

Another thing to mention is that he's probably the person besides The King (as someone said it the other day) who is most responsible for the monarchy's record-high support in the polls over the past 5 years.
How? Because he was the monarchy and the NRF's BIGGEST supporter and would constantly praise them (and the institution) like no other (especially The King). And since he (to my knowledge) never was in any serious relationship, they simply became the most important thing in his life, together with his late sister and her two sons with their families. Although it should be said that he has never had any problem voicing his opinion when there was something he didn't agree with. - Including Märtha's commercial use of her princess-title, which he has been ''highly critical'' of for years.
And he always respected those who didn't agree with him when it came to his stance on the monarchy.

Death: He kept it going to the full until early May when he suddenly stopped appearing on the TV-screen, being absent during the media-storm regarding Märtha, the May 17th celebrations and The Regent-Couple's annual county-visit in June. But he kept it going with giving written comments to both TV2 and other news-outlets and reassured people in private messaging on twitter that everything was fine and that he would be back for Ingrid's confirmation in August. And although he was his usual positive self, it became clear to me (through my emailing with him, where we discussed royal stuff) that he wasn't on what I will describe as ''top form physically.'' And when he stopped being active on twitter on August 3rd, I became quite worried, since he is ALWAYS there!
But nevertheless, when NRK announced on the radio last Wednesday that he had died during the night, I nearly crashed my car in shock.

Coverage: Well, the tributes started pouring in from his bosses and colleagues, and every outlet had it as their main story. - While his two nephews talked about his kindness to them and how proud they were of him.
And yes, the RF have sent their condolences.

And on an endnote: Well, I must say that I'm still quite shocked and sad over it, and the thought of not seeing/hearing that friendly, gentle, helpful and sweet man again who answered everyone who wanted to know about royalty, posed for selfies with children, teenagers and adults all the time is just beyond belief.

BTW: Here one can see a few videos of some of his several hundred appearances on TV2 (link).
And here one can read his royal blog, where he was active until March, when he started having some technical problems with it (link).

Article from TV2 about his death (link). - Some quotes translated by me:
CEO and Chief Editor of TV2 said: ''Kjell Arne had a living commitment for this area. Few if anyone had the same expertise as him. It included both the long lines and major events, but also small details that he highlighted and which made him many followers in this area in Norway.
Kjell Arne quickly became an authority in this area. He had a living commitment for this - and as late as this summer, when he lay ill, he tipped us about things we should cover.
There are many who are interested in the monarchy and it is an important part of our history and of our present day. With Kjell Arne's passing, we lose a huge resource within this area.''

Article from VG (link), where one can read how he became (as they put it) ''hele Norges Kjell Arne'' (the whole of Norway's Kjell Arne).

Royal Central article in English (link).

Welcome back, Royal Norway. ?

That was an obituary many can only dream about.

- But, we must not forget Marius' dog. ;)
The world is eagerly awaiting your report.

:previous: Thanks! :flowers:

Yes, will write about it in the coming week.

--------------------

Follow-up on Kjell Arne Totland:
Well, the NRF/monarchy have lost their biggest supporter in the media while the media itself have lost their go-to guy for all things royal - plus the one with the closest relations to the court.

And now to the obvious question, who will replace him as TV2's Royal expert/commentator?

First, let's go through my favoured candidates:
*Anne Fredrikstad (born 1969). TV2's Royal Correspondent/expert 1999-2017.
However, she merely became a royal reporter after Totland joined the channel in 2013, leaving TV2 4-years later to work with winemaking. - But she has stepped in for him this summer and is, IMO, the most likely choice.
Very reliable/serious and pretty pro-monarchy in her style, but way more balanced than Kjell Arne.

*Caroline Vagle (in her 30s, I think). Se og Hør's Royal Correspondent/expert since 2010.
Trained by Kjell Arne and seems pretty reliable. And in addition to being very pro-monarchy in her style, she is also a royal-fan. - Which is a good thing I think, since it automatically makes her more interested in what she is reporting/writing about.
But that being said, she may at times seem a bit too uncritical, at least when it comes to my taste.

*TV2 can also talk to the two royal historians/authors, the pro-monarchy Tor Bomann-Larsen (born 1951) and Trond Norén Isaksen (born 1981). The latter BTW is not a constitutional monarchist by principle, but believes the monarchy is the best solution for Norway. And with ''talk to'' I mean try to convince one of them to enter into an *exclusive contract* with TV2 (similar to the one Totland had), so they can still be free to give comments to other outlets.

*We also have some reporters at NRK and VG who have worked quite a lot with royal coverage; plus two serious royal bloggers; or the former Royal Correspondent/expert at NTB (The Norwegian News Agency) Wibecke Lie (born 1942, so it might be a bit too much for her to start appearing on TV several times a week); and Kristi Marie Skrede (in her late 40s/early 50s), but she seems quite happy being Royal Correspondent/commentator/expert on NRK.

And then to my least favoured:
Hmm, when I think about it, it's only one: Yes, Anders Johan Stavseng (born 1977). Royal reporter/expert at Se og Hør since 2001.
Although very pro-monarchy in his style, he never sticks to facts; and according to himself, ''elsker britiske tabloid-titler med krasse og morsomme ordspill.'' (''Loves British tabloid titles with crass and funny wordplays.'')

But does TV2 need their own royal expert/commentator, can't they just invite others to the studio? Well, technically, yes! But there is tradition here that the main two television stations have their own go-to guy/woman for everything royal.
And much easier that way, especially if something unexpected happens and they need to talk to an expert quite quickly.

Back
Top Bottom