Dutch State Visit to Norway: 9-11 November 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MM is wearing the Order of Orange-Nassau. Is Märtha-Louise wearing the Order of the House of Orange? I am not familiar with the sash.

MM is wearing the Order of Orange-Nassau. Is Märtha-Louise wearing the Order of the House of Orange? I am not familiar with the sash.

Yes indeed, Dame grootkruis in the Huisorde van Oranje.

The Order of Mette Marit (Dame grootkruis in de Orde van Oranje-Nassau) is by Royal Decree, signed by Queen Beatrix and countersigned by a minister.

The Order of Märtha Louise is by Hofbesluit (Court Decree) which was signed by Queen Beatrix in her own discretion. That is why it is called a House Order.

Last edited:
The Order of Mette Marit (Dame grootkruis in de Orde van Oranje-Nassau) is by Royal Decree, signed by Queen Beatrix and countersigned by a minister.

Interesting that the Crown Princess and probably also the Crown Prince have not been upgraded to the Order of the Dutch Lion as this one was given to the danish Crown Prince and Crown Princess by King Willem-Alexander.

Exquisit! I love all the gowns of the royal ladies. I´m happy Queen Sonja finally wears her "80th birthday dress" one more time. It´s only a pity the CPcess doesn´t wear the trimmed down version of Queen Maud´s pearl tiara she wore at the swedish CPcesses wedding - it would have been perfect to match this evenings gown and earings!
And, of course, I miss Haakon!

Interesting that the Crown Princess and probably also the Crown Prince have not been upgraded to the Order of the Dutch Lion as this one was given to the danish Crown Prince and Crown Princess by King Willem-Alexander.
That´s true. But I think the order of the House of Orange-Nassau is higher ranking than ML´s dutch House order, right? It is the same Charles and Diana wore at Queen Beatrix´s state visit to the UK back in 1982.

Last edited by a moderator:
But it is worn very seldom anyway. Think the norwegian ro<al men only wear it for the opening of Parliament

That's what Harald told Willem-Alexander when he asked 'when does one wear it?' Nonetheless, Willem-Alexander thanked him for this -'useless' (literally)- present.

My guess is that Märtha Louise's presence is very much related to her being close friends with the Dutch royal family (she also got a personal present: a clock). Ari's only royal order was a Dutch one... given by queen Beatrix on her state visit to Norway.

That´s true. But I think the order of the House of Orange-Nassau is higher ranking than ML´s dutch House order, right? It is the same Charles and Diana wore at Queen Beatrix´s state visit to the UK back in 1982.

The Order of Orange-Nassau is indeed higher ranking than Märtha Louise's house order (which is the same princess Laurentien of the Netherlands has).

I am not sure what Charles and Diana wore at the state visit in 1982 but Charles wore the Order of the Crown (which is a different one) at Willem-Alexander's inauguration as king. Ari Behn had a lower rank in this same order. It's the order that Willem-Alexander typically hands out to spouses of heads of state (including queen Letizia; but also non-royal spouses) or 'lower ranking' prince(sse)s such as Märtha Louise (for example: prince Joachim and princess Marie).

Queen Sonja still adheres morning-, midday- and evening ensembles during a State Visit. I like that.

Yes, that was exeptional. No any other crown princely couple has been given the highest State Order. Why Frederik and Mary got it: litterally no idea.

Exquisit! I love all the gowns of the royal ladies. I´m happy Queen Sonja finally wears her "80th birthday dress" one more time.

Sorry but when i look at Sonja it hurt's my in my eyes. The neon yellow/green dress and Jewels don't go well with the orange&blue dutch Order she had to wear.

Was the Dutch Order the only foreign Order Princess Diana received ?

I can hear Harald's American English slipping through at points. I suppose that must be either odd or normal.

All the royal ladies wore "repeats" ... they look lovely, although Maxima wore the whopper Stuart tiara with this gown at the UK state visit a few years ago.

I can hear Harald's American English slipping through at points. I suppose that must be either odd or normal.

Why would it be odd? He did spend a significant amount of time in America while WWII was going on. He was quite young and he definitely would’ve picked up an American accent while there. Plus it’s nice sometimes to not always hear a British accent when a royal speaks in English.

All the royal ladies wore "repeats" ... they look lovely, although Maxima wore the whopper Stuart tiara with this gown at the UK state visit a few years ago.

This time ww could see the beautiful beadwork sewn on the gown of Queen Máxima thanks to the open cape.

Queen Máxima - sometimes called 'bling bling Queen' by some posters - actually was modest, see the same cassette of jewels being used: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1d/65/42/1d6542ff3b25a6667cf37db7ac7960d2.jpg

In comparison she left quite a lot of carats from this parure unused.

Prins Haakon absent

Where is Prins Haakon?

I don't really follow the Norwegian royals but I thought Martha Louise no longer took part in royal life. I also agree it's strange that Frederick and Mary received the most senior Dutch order but not the Crown Prince and Princess on this occasion.

Last edited:
I don't really follow the Norwegian royals but I thought Martha Louise no longer took part in royal life.

The reason is probably mathematics. They needed more royals to increase the volume of royals to support Harald, Sonja and Mette Marrit. Prins Haakon was apparently unwell.

Why would it be odd? He did spend a significant amount of time in America while WWII was going on. He was quite young and he definitely would’ve picked up an American accent while there. Plus it’s nice sometimes to not always hear a British accent when a royal speaks in English.

King Willem-Alexander's accent is not British either. For example, he pronounces 'r' in syllable coda as the Americans do.

I don't really follow the Norwegian royals but I thought Martha Louise no longer took part in royal life. I also agree it's strange that Frederick and Mary received the most senior Dutch order but not the Crown Prince and Princess on this occasion.

She has started to take part in royal life again in recent months after pausing for 2 years, I believe it was. Well, she is doing what she did before her relationship with the shaman became a scandal: work for her patronages plus attending some State Visits.

She lived in the Netherlands for a while, which was when the Dutch Royal Family became her personal friends. I imagine that's why she was there.

The reason is probably mathematics. They needed more royals to increase the volume of royals to support Harald, Sonja and Mette Marrit. Prins Haakon was apparently unwell.

Crown prince Haakon sent his regrets at the last moment, while the Dutch royal couple already brought a present for Märtha Louise with them. So, I am quite sure that she would have been there independent of Haakon's cold.

She is godmother to one of Constantijn & Laurentien's children which indicates her close relationship with the Dutch royal family. Which already could be seen (as discussed above) when Ari Behn was awarded his one and only royal order - by queen Beatrix.

The Order of Orange-Nassau is indeed higher ranking than Märtha Louise's house order (which is the same princess Laurentien of the Netherlands has).

I am not sure what Charles and Diana wore at the state visit in 1982 but Charles wore the Order of the Crown (which is a different one) at Willem-Alexander's inauguration as king. Ari Behn had a lower rank in this same order. It's the order that Willem-Alexander typically hands out to spouses of heads of state (including queen Letizia; but also non-royal spouses) or 'lower ranking' prince(sse)s such as Märtha Louise (for example: prince Joachim and princess Marie).

From what I understand, the House Order was reorganized by Queen Juliana into three separate orders and, when awarded to foreigners, it is now called "the Order of the Crown". but they are essentially equivalent.

At the gift-giving event, the conversation was led by the two Queen Consorts. The two Kings were more or less ignored. Was this planned as an interpretation of the protocol or was it a case of rejecting the protocol where heads of state meet? The result was an informal loose chat where the dominant individuals take over the conversation irrespective of their role.

At the gift-giving event, the conversation was led by the two Queen Consorts. The two Kings were more or less ignored. Was this planned as an interpretation of the protocol or was it a case of rejecting the protocol where heads of state meet? The result was an informal loose chat where the dominant individuals take over the conversation irrespective of their role.
I noticed that as well. My guess is that it was planned this way. Apparently both men leave it to their wives to take care of the presents...

From what I understand, the House Order was reorganized by Queen Juliana into three separate orders and, when awarded to foreigners, it is now called "the Order of the Crown". but they are essentially equivalent.
They are indeed 'equivalent' in status, however, that makes it even weirder that Märtha Louise was given the House order and not the Order of the Crown...

King Willem-Alexander's accent is not British either. For example, he pronounces 'r' in syllable coda as the Americans do.

Did Willem-Alexander study in the USA or live there too? I think Maxima lived in New York for a while before her engagement.

Queen Sonja still adheres morning-, midday- and evening ensembles during a State Visit. I like that.

Interesting hat worn by Sonja. I didnt know that she used to work for an eastern European airline back in the Soviet days.

Back
Top Bottom