Death & Funeral of HH Princess Ragnhild (9 June 1930 - 16 September 2012)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very odd that no representatives from either the Belgium or Luxembourg royal famillies attended considering the blood-relationshp. Perhaps someone could comment on whether or not there is a "close" relationship -- perhaps the fact the Queen Astrid died at such a young age and Leopold remarried had something to do with it?

Very odd that no representatives from either the Belgium or Luxembourg royal famillies attended considering the blood-relationshp. Perhaps someone could comment on whether or not there is a "close" relationship -- perhaps the fact the Queen Astrid died at such a young age and Leopold remarried had something to do with it?
I would guess that it has more to do with the fact that princess Ragnhild have lived in Brazil since the mid-1950ies, and haven't had much contact with the Belgian and Luxembourg royal families after that. The only one who have any connection with Ragnhild would be king Albert, but it would be unlikely that he would have gone to a private funeral. I doubt that the younger members (Henri, Philippe and their siblings) have met Ragnhild more than a few times.

I remember reading somewhere that both the Belgian and Norwegian royal children spent summer holidays with their grandparents in Sweden, but World War II put an end on those visits.

Last edited:
King Harald is ageing a bit too much...

these days..He appears as old as Queen Elizabeth II...Hope he is in good health and lives longer..

I would like to see a picture of her youngest child, who was born some time after the others. Just think, in today's royal world, she would be presently mourned as queen, and a different Haakon would be Crown Prince. But would she have missed the faithful Erling Lorentzen, then? No, in today's world, he would be Prince Erling (I guess), and a fine looking prince like Prince Daniel.

Here is a picture of the family in Rio 1980 - daughter Ingeborg Lorentzen and her husband Paulo Ribeiro, Princess Ragnhild, Erling Lorentzen, and in the front the youngest child Ragnhild Alexandra (she was 12 years old then).

I had somehow expected Danish RF attendance, but then on second thought, noone from Denmark was particularly close to Princess Ragnhild;
the younger generation have busy schedules and the regal couple are abroad.
The Swedish attendance makes sense considering Princess Ragnhild was half Swedish.....

viv

:previous: It was a very small and private funeral and I think only those that they asked were present. As to being busy . . . sadly one is never too busy to attend a funeral.

It looks as if it was a small but beautiful ceremorny

I had somehow expected Danish RF attendance, but then on second thought, noone from Denmark was particularly close to Princess Ragnhild;
the younger generation have busy schedules and the regal couple are abroad.
The Swedish attendance makes sense considering Princess Ragnhild was half Swedish.....

viv

That makes senbse Viv,I didn't really expect too many royal guests at the funeral of Princess Ragnhild as she was more or less the Royal recluse and really only attended rare events in Norway.

From what I remember she was very much against M-M at the time of her engagement...

From what I remember she was very much against M-M at the time of her engagement...
In 2004 she said something to the effect that the CP Haakon and Princess Märtha Louise were ill advised regarding their choice of spouses. It made headlines at the time and Mr. Lorentzen tried to gag the media, but too late, the cat was out of the bag!

CP Mette-Marit rose above it yesterday and curtsied to the coffin!

viv

H.H.Princess Ragnhild died on this year last year.

Back
Top Bottom