Death & Funeral of HH Princess Ragnhild (9 June 1930 - 16 September 2012)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The late Princess Ragnhild was with the late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte the last Princesses of the Scandinavian Royal Houses.
Princess Astrid is now the only survival Princess of the Houses of Sweden, Norway and Denmark (the late Princess Axel)
Grand duchess Joséphine-Charlotte was not a princess of the Scandinavian royal houses, she was a Belgian princess. The fact that her mother was the daughter of a younger son in the Swedish royal family, prince Carl, duke of Västergötland and his wife, born princess Ingeborg of Denmark, doesn't mean that their granddaughter was to be considered as a Scandinavian princess. To say that Joséphine-Charlotte was a Scandinavian princess would be as correct to say that king Olav V of Norway was a British prince because his mother was born princess Maud of Wales.

And to call princess Margaretha of Sweden, later princess Margaretha of Denmark, princess Alex of Denmark it not correct, she was never known by that name neither in Sweden nor Denmark, as the British tradition of giving a royal spouse the address princess (husband's name) of X, doesn't exist int the Scandinavian countries. Even in the U.K. a royal spouse born as a princess in a foreign country would be allowed the title of princess (given name) of (husband's father's territorial designation) if the husband isn't made a royal duke, and that was why princess Marina, duchess of Kent could style herself as princess Marina after her husband's death.

I wonder if there will be many royal guests at her funeral or will it be just a private family service at Asker?

Very sad news. My condolences to the family!

Also my condolences for the family, for her husband and the children grandchildren and ofcourse for king Harald, it is his sister, she was very negetive but it's sad.

How sad for the King and his sister.

An Ard Ri, thanks for the wonderful video concerning the life of Princess Ragnild. One can see in her the relationship to her British born grandmother, Queen Maud. She had so much expression in her face. And she had the strength to marry whom she loved. Three cheers for a good life.

...Quite impressive that a princess, any princess, should have had a 540 000 km² coast named in their honour (the coast is in Antarctica).
[that should read 540 000 km² area as for example Australia's coastline has a length of either 26 or 67,000 km depending on how it is measured.]
It wasn't a singular honour; Queen Maud Land in Antartica (2.7m km² in area) was divvied up into areas named the Princess Martha Coast, Princess Astrid Coast, Princess Ragnhild Coast, Prince Harald Coast and Prince Olav Coast. To ensure nobody missed out, the body of water off Queen Maud Land was named the King Haakon VII Sea. :)

I agree the comment was very impolite, but I see no reason why you chose to lower your standards either.

My condolences to her family and I would love to see some photos of her when she was a young goodlooking woman. Anybody have any??

Last edited:
My condolences to her family and I would love to see some photos of her when she was a young goodlooking woman. Anybody have any??

You can also find some here kongehuset.no - Prinsesse Ragnhild
Just click on 'Neste Bilde' to see the next pic.

And here http://www.side2.no/livsstil/article3473437.ece.
The last one ist sweet http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/na/archive/01151/Prinsesse_Ragnhi_11510844x3.jpg it's Princess Ragnhild with her eldest children Haakon and Ingeborg. I also like the photo from the engagement very much http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/na/archive/01151/prinsesse_ragnhi_11510734x3.jpg (on the right it's Princess Astrid).

Last edited:
An Ard Ri, thanks for the wonderful video concerning the life of Princess Ragnild. One can see in her the relationship to her British born grandmother, Queen Maud. She had so much expression in her face. And she had the strength to marry whom she loved. Three cheers for a good life.

You're welcome its a lovely video of the late Princess Ragnild.

So sad. My deepest condolences to Erling Lorentzen, their children, grandchildren and to her siblings King Harald and Princess Astrid.

So sad. My toughts to the family and all Norway :sad:

my goodness, the picture of her son Haakon as a little boy has resemblance in profile to Crown Prince Haakon, but of course he is a blonde rather than dark haired, as is his sister Ingrid. (it is hard to keep straight these various Crown Princes, but I am pretty sure I got this one right). It is interesting to me that in the pictures of Princess Ragnild as a young woman she did not wear towering high heels as is the custom for Princesses now (I think unfortunately).

The picture of her wedding dress is very nice. It is a dress well suited to a woman slender as Ragnild. It would not look well on a sturdy princess, but on her it is lovely, with the full skirt.
Pictures of her in old age with her husband are very nice as well. She seems to be not just older but also unwell.

In a sense she is a true old-fashioned princess, delicate.

I would like to see a picture of her youngest child, who was born some time after the others. Just think, in today's royal world, she would be presently mourned as queen, and a different Haakon would be Crown Prince. But would she have missed the faithful Erling Lorentzen, then? No, in today's world, he would be Prince Erling (I guess), and a fine looking prince like Prince Daniel.

Last edited:
will princess ragnhild be buried in norway or in brazil?

Thank you very much for the links Meraude and Fairytale.

I wonder if any of the other Scandinavian royal houses will attend the funeral. Maybe even anyone from Belgium or Luxembourg

Last edited:
I wonder if any of the other Scandinavian royal houses will be at the funeral. Maybe even anyone from Belgium or Luxembourg

The Palace chapel is not that large so that might curtail the number of foreign Royal's present.

I wonder if any of the other Scandinavian royal houses will be at the funeral. Maybe even anyone from Belgium or Luxembourg

Its a close relationship between Norwegian and the Danish and swedish one, so im sure they will attend. Even from Begium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today she is going home and make her last big journey.

May god bless her!

Back
Top Bottom