Christmas with the Norwegian Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovely family photos though I have to say that if I didn't know who Marius was I'd be wondering why a male supermodel was included in their family photos this Christmas. He's a very handsome young man.

He is very. :flowers:

The youngest son has the comfortable looks of his grandfather, methinks, and a most engaging disposition.

Ingrid-Alexandra is growing up so fast !

She received a very appealing mix of her parents' genes. :flowers: She is also amazingly self-possessed. The calm, aware and direct gaze at the camera is remarkable. She radiates charm.

Those were Christmas great photos of the NRF! I also like how they have flags on their Christmas tree.

The CP children are growing up so fast. I agree that Ingrid Alexandra is a mixture of her parents; her eyes to me are like Haakon's but her other features are more like MM's. Sverre Magnus however looks more like his mother. Marius is getting incredibly handsome!

I thought that Harald looked rather frail in these photos, I hope that he is okay.

This article/video was posted in the Haakon and Mette-Marit Current Events thread, but I post it here too.

Kronprinsfamilien gir pepperkakering til Hele Norges julelenke - NRK Kultur og underholdning - Nyheter og aktuelt stoff
The Crown Prince family provides gingerbread ring to Hele Norges Julelenke ( the whole Norway Christmas link)

In over a month, people from across the country have submitted Christmas links which shall bind Norway together. The Crown Prince family have now made its contribution.

Video translation by me.

Mette-Marit to Sverre Magnus - Magnus, what are you grateful for? Sverre Magnus - I am grateful to be with the family at Christmas. Mette-Marit - It was cozy.

Mette-Marit to Ingrid Alexandra - And Ingrid you? Ingrid Alexandra - That we have the family. Mette-Marit - And you have a lovely little brother and big brother, it's cozy.

Mette-Marit to Haakon - And Haakon, you then? Hakkon - I am grateful that we have the ability to do things that we think are valuable and fine, and that we are allowed to be together.

Ingrid Alexandra - We're very fortunate to live in Norway. Mette-Marit - That's right.

Mette-Marit - So nice it was Ingrid. Sverre Magnus - This is our Christmas link. Mette-Marit - What is written on it then. Sverre Magnus - Gratitude. Mette-Marit - Yes it does, Merry Christmas. Haakon - You'll show it to us, then. Sverre Magnus - Merry Christmas.

It is difficult to translate Norwegian to English because some English words means something quite different in Norwegian.

Both Haakon and Mette-Marit likes and is very interested in the Queen, and as you can see, there is a book of her on the table/pouffe.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the video and for providing a translation with us. I thought it was cute and I liked the music in the background. The NRF seem to be rather close with each other.

Which Queen? His Mom?

I think the Queen who ROYAL NORWAY was referring to is Elizabeth II. If you look at the video closely, you can see that it's her on the front cover. :flowers:

I wonder why She holds a fascination for them?

The Norwegians are the British royals closest relatives out the Europeans royals. Princess Anne is Haakon's godmother. The book could have been a present.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Royals fanboy and fangirl each other.The Things you learn here:)

Last edited:
Which Queen? His Mom?

No, as HereditaryPrincess wrote, I meant Elizabeth II.

My mother is British and lives in the UK with her family (including her husband and my two half-brothers) so I've always called her (Elizabeth II) for just the Queen as most Brits do. And like many others I se her as the boss Queen in a way.

I wonder why She holds a fascination for them?

She has met a whole bunch of heads of state/royals and they (Haakon and Mette Marit) come from a very small country so I don't think she knows so much about them, but she have met Haakon several times, and Mette-Marit at least three times.

The Norwegians are the British royals closest relatives out the Europeans royals. Princess Anne is Haakon's godmother. The book could have been a present.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Yes, the Norwegians are the British royals closest relatives out of the Europeans royals, but both Harald, Sonja, Haakon and Mette-Marit have said that they are fascinated by her. And I don't think the Queen or other members of the British royal family would have given books about them self as gifts to the Norwegian royal family.

King Harald is a big fan of The Queen and has spoken warmly of her in the Norwegian media several times. He's known for holding her in very high esteem and they have always had an excellent relationship. When he and other members of his family visited the UK in 2005 he said in an interview that the Queen was a role model for many, including him.

Royals fanboy and fangirl each other.The Things you learn here:)

Are you really surprised that people/royalty is fascinated by this remarkable lady?

The Queen is an international icon and the embodiment of royalty. She has dedicated her life to the UK and the Commonwealth, and have spent the last 63 years building relations and friendship between nations. She's was known as the world top diplomat until at least 2011 (when she almost stopped traveling) She was also with her parents, sister and Winston Churchill a symbol of peace during World War II.

She is simply THE QUEEN and many royals including King Harald (as I said above), Queen Margrethe, even Emperor Akihito of Japan, Victoria, Haakon and Mette-Marit etc have said they are fascinated by her.

The same applies to several US Presidents and other heads of state/governments including Obama, both the Bushes, Clinton and Reagan who all have spoken warmly about her, and have told journalists that she is a very kind, warm and wise person.

Last edited:
Video:
Kronprinsfamilien baker pepperkaker - Video
The Crown Prince family bakes gingerbread
In the program The evening before the evening we get to be with the Crown Prince family when they bakes gingerbread.

This video is a bit long to translate, but they are visited by journalist/presenter Ingrid Gjessing Linhave and they talk among other things about Christmas baking and that Mette-Marit's mother bakes to them.

They also speak about that they made orange juice for Sverre Magnus's Christmas market at school and nobody liked it, but Haakon liked it because he drinks everything (his daughter words).

Ingrid Gjessing Linhave ask them about what they are looking forward to with Christmas? Matte-Marit says she's looking forward to being with the family. Haakon says he's looking forward to the gifts. Ingrid Alexandra says she's looking forward to go skiing. Sverre Magnus says he's looking forward to three things, go skiing, being with the family and gifts. Haakon and Mette-Marit are asked to close their ears so the kids can tell whether they have made any gifts to mom and dad. Haakon is asked what he gave Mette-Marit the first year they were together and she replies that she always gets either a bike, tent, kayak etc.

They end the interview by saying that they look forward to be together at Christmas, read books, play games, go skiing and to reflect on the year that has passed. They are asked about 2016 and they say they hope they will manage to balance family life with work.

Last edited:
Very disappointing. :sad: The video won't play for me.

SM is a little politician. He included every thing in his answer about what he wanted :)

MM must have enough Bikes, kayaks and the like by now to open a sporting goods store LOL.

The Prince is a good dad... If his kid made something even if it is nasty he is going to drink it !

The children seem a little uncomfortable in front of the cameras to me, Princess Ingrid Alexandra just seems a little awkward standing there to open the door to the reporter and not saying anything at all. Someone somewhere suggested maybe she has braces so doesn't want to speak/smile too much so as not to show them off.
Love the family all having their own aprons, can just imagine Haakon throwing his apron on to make dinner in the evening!

Really lovely video of the Crown Princely Family! I love their home style and also the Christmas decorations!

Last edited by a moderator:
They attended a service at Uvdal Kirke/Church, as they also did in 2013.

Laagendalsposten - Kronprinsfamilien regnet nesten bort
Translated by me
Everyone in the Crown Prince family was in good spirits when they came to worship in Uvdal Church on Christmas Eve.

The church was completely full, and many had arrived in very good time to get in to the church.

The last to arrive, was the Crown Prince family, as usual. Mette-Marit's mother, was not attending this year as she was two years ago when they also celebrated Christmas in Uvdal .

The two kids were disappointed by the lack of snow.

Ugh, it's raining! was the first Sverre Magnus said when he came out of the church after the service was finished.

Pictures
http://g.api.no/obscura/API/dynamic...ag/2015/12/25/10/1451037127512.jpg?chk=D323B9

http://g.api.no/obscura/API/dynamic...ag/2015/12/25/10/1451037130800.jpg?chk=01F3D8

Last edited:
The children seem a little uncomfortable in front of the cameras to me, Princess Ingrid Alexandra just seems a little awkward standing there to open the door to the reporter and not saying anything at all. Someone somewhere suggested maybe she has braces so doesn't want to speak/smile too much so as not to show them off.
Love the family all having their own aprons, can just imagine Haakon throwing his apron on to make dinner in the evening!

I must admit to LOVE seeing this reporter curtseying also to the royal children!:flowers:

Strange, no christmas photo shooting this year?! I cannot think of one single year it didnt happen...?! Even when the CP couple´s family was in east asia a couple of years ago they did a video.
I think if it didn´t happen on dec. the 20th it won´t take place this year....?!

Last edited:
Lovely family photos:flowers: I do notice the absence of Marius this year :sad:

I miss the usual little film... but let's hope it will appear..

I miss the usual little film... but let's hope it will appear..

I thought he wouldn´t be there this year before. It would have been more a surprise to me if he did.
Perhaps, now as a young adult without a sibling in his age and his special position in the royal family, he might feel a little misplaced. And beyond that, isn´t he currently in the US?

I thought it was very nice that he attended last year (hopefully not for the last time) - but I always felt since he was a teenager and becoming more and more aware of the media scrutiny connected to Royalty, how uncomfortable he looked at occasions like these.:whistling:

IA becoming prettier and prettier... Sverre very cute too ! Lovely looking family !

Back
Top Bottom