Christmas with the Norwegian Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This article is a summery of the interview with the Crownprincess (the complete interview you can read in the thread of her current events), but in this short article you can read how the royals celebrate the Christmas: they decorate the tree together, they go around the tree singing songs, they eat different type of fishes and after visit the church they eat pork. It seems a really lovely family-celebration.

Monarchie: Mette-Marit warnt vor zu viel Internet - Boulevard - FOCUS Online - Nachrichten
Google Fordító

Pictures about the attending the church service:

APA-PictureDesk

http://www.newmyroyals.com/2012/12/christmas-with-norway-royal-family.html

http://www.vg.no/rampelys/artikkel.php?artid=10056727

And also a video about leaving the church:
http://www.tv2.no/play/nyheter/inne...rinsen-skilte-lag-paa-kirketrappa-688369.html

An artical about the king's new car and a few words about, that the CP-couple maybe travelled to their cottage in Uvdal, to spend there their Christmas-holiday. :
http://www.tv2.no/nyheter/innenriks/her-er-kongens-nye-bil-3953481.html
http://translate.google.hu/translat...innenriks/her-er-kongens-nye-bil-3953481.html

Last edited:
Here’s a link to a video of The Crown Prince and Princess Ingrid Alexandra at Julemorgen:NRK Super | Se prinsessen i Julemorgen! It’s not airing until tomorrow, but it’s already online. I hope it’s available outside of Norway.

I though she handled herself very well! She was open, sweet and very candid. She didn’t seem shy as she often does in public with many people around here. It was nice to hear her thoughts about royal life and other things.

I’ve translated most of it for you all:

About the pre-Christmas days: PI: says they’ve spent time before Christmas wrapping gifts and preparing food. CH: we’ve been enjoying the days especially when it’s calmer without the rush.

About traditions they do every year: PI: Gift calendar, kept out in the hall. She got a kinder egg the first day. The Crown Prince asks what the most boring thing she has received is and she answers a pair of socks and a hals (I’m not sure what this is called in English, but it’s something children wear around their necks when it’s cold (not a scarf, but it does the same job). CH: they get things they actually need in the calendar too. PI: Boring!

They got questions from viewers as well.

Is it fun to be a royal? PI: Yes, sometimes it’s very fun, other times it’s pretty boring. For example what I think is very boring is photo-shoots. When one are sitting and sitting and sitting, without taking the perfect photo, and they make adjustments and adjustments. And my little brother Magnus he’s not able to sit still. So first we’re sitting, and then that picture isn’t perfect and then Magnus runs off and we have to get him and start all over again. CH: Last time it went very well. And we have to do that from time to time.

Do you get tired waving on May 17: It’s not that we get tired from waving precisely, but I and Magnus are allowed to go inside about half way in because it can get cold…it’s not tiring to wave, but it’s tiring to stand there just watching. CH: It can take quite a long time. But it’s also a nice time and May 17 is a special day with many happy people walking pass you, and that’s nice. It’s not many countries that do as we do, so it’s a special day.

What do you like best for dinner? PI: Lots of different things, sausages, I’m fond of meat and soups. CH: tomato soup.

What’s it like being a princess at school? PI: At school, what do you mean? Presenter: Are treated as everybody else or do get a red carpet rolled out for you? PI: I’m treated as a regular girl and I’m not certain that everybody recognizes me either because I’m just like everybody else and everybody treats me as if I am like everybody else. So in reality I am a normal girl, and when I was younger I didn’t even know that I was a princess.

What do you want to do when you grow up? PI: I want to a Crown Princess.
What’s your favourite subject at school? PI: Math and art.

Do you have many servants? PI: No, no one. CH: we are lucky; we do have people who help us with different things. PI: but we don’t have servants really, they don’t like being called servants for certain! CH: Have you done that? PI: Yes!

Thank you so much for providing a translation of the video. I really love it! Ingrid seems like a very fun young lady but also very sensitive. I look forward to more interviews with her in the future!

Were are this years christmas pictures ? 2012 did they do any

Were are this years christmas pictures ? 2012 did they do any

No, I think, didn't... But I hope maybe with the birthday of P. Ingrid-Alexandra we can see a new photosession...

Christmas 2013

Press release about the plans for this year:

King Harald and Queen Sonja celebrate Christmas this year at the Royal Mountain Farm (Kongsseteren) in Oslo together with Princess Märtha Louise and her family. They together will attend the Church Service on Christmas Day at Holmenkollen Chapel.

The CP Family spends Christmas at the cottage in Uvdal. They will attend the Christmas Eve Service there at Uvdal Church.

kongehuset.no - Kongelig julefeiring
Google Translation

King Harald and Queen Sonja celebrate Christmas this year at the Royal Mountain Farm (Kongsseteren) in Oslo together with Princess Märtha Louise and her family. They together will attend the Church Service on Christmas Day at Holmenkollen Chapel.

The CP Family spends Christmas at the cottage in Uvdal. They will attend the Christmas Eve Service there at Uvdal Church.

Google Translation

The same in this article:
kong harald: Slik blir kongefamiliens jul - Se og hør
Google Fordító

Google Translation

Oh this will surely be a wonderful place to spend Christmas!

There is a place not far from Kongsseteren called Frognerseteren, which is a restaurant with amazing views over Oslo. We went there several years ago one evening by taxi for a meal. Afterwards we decided to get the tram back down to central Oslo but had to ask directions to where we get he tram from. It was apparently further up the hill we ended walking up a winding woodland track - pitch black at night and were relieved to see the lights of the tramstop! Nonetheless, it's one of the loveliest places I've ever been to.

I found this video about the norwegian christmas traditions. Not exactly with the royals, but it has some interesting informations what the norwegian people make in this time, so we can imagine how spend the royalfamily these days...

Christmas in Norway - Jul i Norge - YouTube

I read somewhere, that Mette-Marit said they eat "Lutefisk" in Christmas. Would you try it?
Lutefisk aka Nasty Norwegian Fish - Why Would You Eat That? - YouTube

And one more very good internetsite about the norwegian christmas:
http://mylittlenorway.com/norwegian-christmas/

Last edited:
Aren't there any news about the norwegian royals??
The other royalhouses released christmas cards or pictures from christmas concerts or from other christmas events yet... Next week is Christmas and nothing information or pictures about the norwegian royals (only where they will spend it...)...

Let´s hope there will be a "pre-christmas-appearance" at all as they dropped it last year altogether...!

I'm afraid it's the same this year :sad:
There even doesn't seem to be the Christmas Concert?

Well, the christmas concert was a new invention in 2011 and was highly critizised last year as a pure pr-stunt for the monarchy.
But I´m more surprised that the appearance of the family, that has been a tradition for many years since Haakon and Märtha were children themselves, seem to being axed as well...?!
But there are some days left - so let´s keep on hoping.

I remember on the last photosession, when Queen Sonja read a tale for the children... I had the feeling when I saw the pictures, that they were sooo bored, and that they didn't want to make that photosession.
Maybe they decided not to make it anymore. :(
It would be sad, because they represent their country, could so say Merry Christmas to their folk...
(I read on the website of the royalhouse, that the press is "invited" to take pictures when they go to church in Uvdal and Holmenkollen, so we will see them finally.)

I remember on the last photosession, when Queen Sonja read a tale for the children... I had the feeling when I saw the pictures, that they were sooo bored, and that they didn't want to make that photosession.
Maybe they decided not to make it anymore. :(

Yes, remember that too. But then again I think the children being once bored (actually Ingrid wasn´t, she listened to her grandmother very interested) it couldn´t possibly be the reason to abolish a christmas-photocall for ever....:sad:
And Magnus has become 2 years older in the meantime, so it wouldn´t be too much of a strain for him. Some years ago they were baking with the children or trimming that huge gingerbread-house and it wasn´t boring for them at all. So something like this with a little bit more of "action" could easily be done again....!
They also seemed to have abolished Haakons birthday photocall, which some years ago could pretty firmly be relied on. Nowadays they only seem to publish some photo-stills which is also nice but not the same.

Last edited:
Very nice, quite homely and a good-looking family too :flowers:
(and i stick with my opinion that they don't look 'on the verge of divorce)

The Christmas photos are lovely and give off a family atmosphere IMO. My favourite one is the photo of Sverre Magnus and Ingrid Alexandra putting the decorations on the tree and the adults and Marius (who has gotten very tall now, it looks like he's the same size as Haakon and Harald!) looking on. In this photo, you can see that Ingrid Alexandra has her ears pierced.

Thanks for the links!
The Norwegian traditional costumes on Queen Sonya and Crown Princess Mette-Marit are lovely.Crown Prince Haakon and Marius look very handsome.

Little Ingrid and Sverre- They are so grown up :flowers:
Marius is also there.
Very lovely and happy family photos :wub:

Back
Top Bottom