The Snow Princess: Queen Astrid of Belgium, Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crown Princess Märtha was never the Queen Consort of Norway; she sadly died prematurely like her sister (in her case from liver failure). Unlike Astrid, she was crown princess for 25 years but never a queen.

Apparently she never really got over Astrid's death, either, and had a very hard time believing her sister was gone.
Correct. Martha wasn't Queen, she died before her husband reached the throne. I knew that fact, but I forgot to retify it.

Somehow, the Scandinavian countries have tragic stories such as Princess Margaret of Connaught and her son Prince Gustaf Adolf.

Sometimes I see Elisabeth in her. The eyes, the smile and lips.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd actually never thought much about Elisabeth (since the first things I always see with her are her blonde hair and the Orléans nose), but you might be right...!

It's nice that we can still see Astrid in her descendants.

She was never forgotten anyway and it was fate... such a pity !

75 years ago and Nothing organized by the Courts of Belgium and Luxembourg.

Kathia _Sophia, you are right Martha of Norway was her sister,not her daughter. Thank you for pointing it out.

This is your own interpretation.

According to reports the following happened:
Leopold was at the wheel while Astrid was holding a map. When Astrid pointed out something on the map, Leopold leaned over to look at it and took his eyes off the road. The car hit a large rock lining the road and got off the road, sliding down the slope towards the lake. Leopold lost control over the car and Astrid was flung out off it, landing with her head against a tree. She was killed instantly.

How could anyone know that is what happened unless there were eye witnesses?

Another Astrid video. Some lovely pics of the four Carl/Ingeborg siblings.
Everything she wore was just amazing. :ohmy: What a talent.
Can you imagine if she were alive now? The internet would blow up, repeatedly.

:previous: Yes, I agree. Astrid's story is as inspiring as it is heartbreaking.

She sounded amazing.

She sounded amazing.

There are princesses and there are pretty dresses, and then there are a few princesses who really know how to wear the pretty dresses — and ⭐ sometimes they are queens :cool:. She was one of them like few before or since.

She had this way of making even very bold, patterened or showy clothes look natural and graceful. I don't know how you do that, and it would be fascinating to know how her taste and style developed, considering her family didn't have much money back in Sweden. And she grew up shy!

Astrid made a cloche hat look lovely. She wore gloves quite elegantly. She was a remarkable royal lady!

Such a beautiful and likeable Lady... what a tragedy it was !

She sounded amazing.

I think you're right, too. We know she died, in a particularly awful way, with particularly sad consequences. But there is more to her than that. Not every conversation about Grace or Diana is about their car accidents. Sometimes, it's more beneficial and fun to simply look at Astrid alive.

Sometimes, she lived. ❤️

B0-BE8458-721-B-4-B4-D-8-EAE-0-CBB7559-F9-BD.jpg

"Commemoration of the tragic death of HM Queen Astrid on 29 August 2021 in Küssnacht am Rigi

On 29 August , Ambassador Willy De Buck attended the ceremony in memory of the fatal accident which claimed the life of HM Queen Astrid 86 years ago on the shores of the 4 Cantons lake. Besides Ambassador De Buck also attended the Ambassador of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, HE Jean Claude MEYER, the Mayor of Küssnacht Mr. Armin Tresch, the Deputy Mayor Mr. Oliver Ebert and other official guests of Küssnacht"

https://scontent.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn....=e6e9ca58a23af5cb37beb469b5bf7f2a&oe=613257B1
https://scontent.fath3-3.fna.fbcdn....=5022721461a7cfb94d8fecc66e59558e&oe=6131E6B3
https://scontent.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn....=6dddcefbff856af7a9170bf67b8dfc80&oe=6132A04F

What a beautiful and elegant woman.. She gave the Belgians enchantment in the brief but happy period she was with them. ?

The picture is taken from a newsreel filmed in Stockholm on September 21, 1926, the day of Astrid and Leopold's engagement.

One of the happiest days in Princess/Queen Astrid's life. The Royal Wedding to Prince Leopold would be another joyous day.

The picture is taken from a newsreel filmed in Stockholm on September 21, 1926, the day of Astrid and Leopold's engagement.

And they could be mistook for any ordinary couple walking down the street.

The death of Queen Astrid:

Funeral:

Last edited:
I read the other day that the Packard car from which poor Queen Astrid was catapulted, resulting in her tragic death, was pushed under the water of Lake Lucerne some time after the accident. It apparently is still there. If true that’s quite macabre!

Back
Top Bottom