Queen Marie-Henriette of The Belgians (1836-1902)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marie Henriette of Austria I believe is the longest serving Belgian queen consort just under 37 years from 10th December 1865 to the 19th of September 1902.

Queen Fabiola served as queen Consort for just under 33 years.

The less populaire Queen , she was more in Spa with her horses and the King Leopold Ii was in Paris , generous with his mistresses or in Ostend and la côte d' Azur.
The first happy royal family are Albert I and Elisabeth because he was as King Albert Ii unexpected Kings.

The Silver wedding of King Leopold II of Belgium and Queen Marie-Henriette , was celebrated with a Mass at the Cathedral Saint-Michel and Gudule on August 22, 1878.

1024px-Noces_d%27argent_du_roi_L%C3%A9opold_II_et_de_la_reine_Marie-Henriette_en_1878_-_Cath%C3%A9drale.jpg

When Marie Henriette and Leopold were traveling in Egypt, Leopold withheld a letter from her which informed her of the demise of her mother. He did not wish to cut the trip short.

poor woman such a beauty i feel bad for her.Her life could have been better if she had not marry that cruel king. I wonder why she never ask for an annulment from the vatican to free herself from her husband , i know she would be discriminate but at least she could have a happy life instead of living with a husband who openly have have mistress in the palace, dislike by most of his subject and somehow have no empathy for her .i must say she has one of the saddest life as a royalty
queen marie of romania ounce wrote the the difficulty is that we princes have to marry foreign princes
and i bet queen marie henriette had her difficulties

Yes, Queen Maria Henriqueta was not happy. The marriage was arranged to strengthen the status of the Belgian monarchy. The Habsburg name was one of the most important characteristics.
King Leopold II had mistresses and married a mistress after the Queen's death.

I'm not sure the Vatican would have granted an annulment simply on the grounds of spousal cruelty and infidelity, sadly, unless MH somehow had the ear and sympathy of the Pope. It would have been a huge scandal and Leopold probably would have fought it, despite embracing disreputability in his later life. I think living apart from him was the best she could do.

Back
Top Bottom