The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 05-28-2022, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
When did the Belgian royal family move from being Protestant to being Catholic?
Leopold and Louise-Marie's children were raised Catholic. Leopold did so willingly since he felt that a Catholic country should have a Catholic king even if he remained a proud protestant himself. There's a story about how, when the king was on his deathbed, his daughter-in-law Marie Henriette of Austria made one last attempt to convince him to join the Catholic faith to which he loudly shouted "Nein!".
Old 05-28-2022, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Only King Leopold I was Calvinist , all his descendence is Catholic our State Religion.
It was said his last word was "Nein" because Princess Marie Henriette wanted him to be Catholic .
I see you beat me to it.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
King Leopold I was Protestant but his wife Louise-Marie d'Orléans and children were Roman Catholic which was the biggest faith in the kingdom.
Old 05-28-2022, 06:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Only King Leopold I was Calvinist , all his descendence is Catholic our State Religion.
You're quite right that Leopold I agreed to raise his children as Catholics in keeping with the Catholic population of Belgium, but just as a clarification, there was technically no state religion under the Belgian constitution.
Old 05-28-2022, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Wedding of Wedding Leopold I of Belgium and Louise d'Orléans took place at the chapel of the Château de Compiègne.

Old 05-28-2022, 06:32 PM
Majesty

I saw the Chapel at the Castle of Compiègne which is much smaller....
Old 05-28-2022, 07:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Leopold and Louise-Marie's chidren were raised as Catholics. Leopold himself remained a Protestant until his dying breath.

I thought he was Lutheran though, rather than Calvinist. Why did he have a Calvinist wedding?

EDIT: Leopold's first wife, Charlotte of Wales, of course was an Anglican.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Leopold and Louise-Marie's chidren were raised as Catholics. Leopold himself remained a Protestant until his dying breath.

I thought he was Lutheran though, rather than Calvinist. Why did he have a Calvinist wedding?

EDIT: Leopold's first wife, Charlotte of Wales, of course was an Anglican.

You are correct. According to various editions of the Almanach de Gotha, Leopold was Lutheran.

Several British newspapers including the London Morning Post stated he married Louise in three ceremonies at the Chateau de Compiegne: (1) a civil ceremony performed in the gallery by Baron Pasquier (President of the Chamber of Peers) and M. Cauchy (Keeper of the Archives), followed by (2) a Roman Catholic ceremony in the chapel, performed by the Bishop of Meaux, and (3) a ceremony performed in a salon according to the "rites of the Reformed church" (Morning Post, August 14, 1832, p. 4, col. 1). Other newspapers used "Lutheran" in place of "Reformed" when describing the third ceremony (see for example the London Morning Advertiser, August 14, 1832, p . 1, col. 3).

British newspapers also reported his funeral was conducted by Lutheran ministers including his chaplain, Pastor Becker. For example, see the London Morning Post, December 19, 1865, p. 5, col. 3 & 4.

Tags
belgian history, biography, france, king leopold i, leopold i, orleans, queen consort, queen louise-marie