Queen Louise-Marie of The Belgians (1812-1850)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Queen Louise-Marie (1812-1850)

This thread is about Queen Louise-Marie The Belgians (Palermo 03 Apr 1812-Ostend 11 Oct 1850)

Parents: King Louis-Phillipe I of France and Princess Marie-Amelie of the Two Sicilies.

Husband: King Leopold I of The Belgians

Children: Prince Louis-Phillipe, King Leopold II of The Belgians, Prince Phillip of Belgium, Count of Flanders, Empress Charlotte (Carlota) of Mexico

Siblings: Crownprince Ferdinand of France, Duke of Orleans; Duchess Marie of Wurttemberg; Prince Louis Charles of France, Duke of Nemours; Princess Fransisca of France; Princess Clementine of Saxe-Coburg-Kohary; Prince Francois of France, Prince of Joinville; Prince Charles of France, Duke of Penthièvre; Prince Henri of France, Duke of Aumale; Prince Antoine of France, Duke of Montpensier and Infante of Spain.

louisem.jpg

Note that all images posted in this thread by me are free of copyrights, unless stated differently. The TRF policy conserning copyrights has not changed

Louise-Marie, Queen of the Belgians (Louise-Marie Thérèse Charlotte Isabelle d'Orléans) - fille de France, and Queen of the Belgians as the wife of King Leopold I. Born in Palermo, Sicily on April 3, 1812, she was the eldest daughter of the future King Louis-Phillippe of the French and his wife Maria Amalia of the Two Sicilies. On August 9, 1832, Louise-Marie married King Leopold I of the Belgians in Compiègne, France. She and Leopold had four children, including Leopold II of Belgium and Empress Carlota of Mexico.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

louisema.jpg

Louise-Marie and her family:

tralala.jpg

Her parents, King Louis-Phillipe of The French and Queen Marie-Amelie:

louis-philippe-3-sized.jpg
moederlouise.jpg

According to wikipedia this winterhaller portrait is of Queen Louise-Marie, others however claim that it is one of her sisters:

queenbelgium.jpg

Some more portraits:

pic4.jpg
b163104_std.jpg

And some more:

a7140_wal.jpg
Afbeelding013_r1.jpg

And even more:

louisemarie.jpg
louiseorleans.gif

Her eldest son Louis-Phillipe died very young. Here an unclear drawing of him:

louisphilipe.jpg

Two more portraits, the first made of her wedding and the second shows her and her husband:

huwelijkleo1.jpg
naamloos-1.jpg

Leopold met Louise Marie for the first time when she was about 9 years old. His first impression was that she was "too silent".

She was, in fact, a very shy girl, and she only appeared in public when her husband forced her.

Their marriage was purely political and ensured the political support for Belgium's independence of one of it's most powerful neighbour, as well as its allegiance.

Since Leopold was a protestant, they had both a Catholic and a Calvinist ceremony.

Louise-Marie greatly adored her father, King Louis Philippe. She spent more time with her mother.
Pomp and splendor had little appeal to her. She often sent gifts to Queen Victoria.

Louise was a very delicate looking girl and woman and of course died from tuberculosis at quite a young age. I've never read that her marriage to Leopold was unhappy, but on the other hand I don't think it was a passionate romance either. Leopold was quite a melancholy character in later life, I think, and his first wife Charlotte was probably the great love of his life.

Queen Marie Louise has a beautiful memorial dedicated to her memory at the church of Saints-Pierre-et-Paul in Ostend.
The magnificent white marble monument was executed in 1859 by the Belgian sculptor Charles-Auguste Fraikin following her death see below.

The Queen however is buried at Our Lady of Laeken in Brussels but is possibly the only Belgian queen to have such a memorial at another church.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...jpg/682px-Sint-Petrus-en-Pauluskerk_10001.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...jpg/399px-Sint-Petrus-en-Pauluskerk_10003.jpg

An ARd RI
Her first born Child was burried in our Cathedral and the Queen in Ostend because the Church of Our Dame of Laeken and its Crypte Royale were not even build or ready.
King Leopold I who died Protestant was not allowed by the Priest to enter his Church. They built a provisory Tent outside the Church and afterwards he was burried in the Crypte Royale.

The funeral of Louise of Orléans in 1850

640px-Bruxelles_%C3%A0_travers_les_%C3%A2ges_%281884%29_%2814783667633%29.jpg

Leopold met Louise Marie for the first time when she was about 9 years old. His first impression was that she was "too silent".

She was, in fact, a very shy girl, and she only appeared in public when her husband forced her.

Their marriage was purely political and ensured the political support for Belgium's independence of one of it's most powerful neighbour, as well as its allegiance.

Since Leopold was a protestant, they had both a Catholic and a Calvinist ceremony.

When did the Belgian royal family move from being Protestant to being Catholic?

Only King Leopold I was Calvinist , all his descendence is Catholic our State Religion.
It was said his last word was "Nein" because Princess Marie Henriette wanted him to be Catholic .

Leopold and Louise-Marie's children were raised Catholic. Leopold did so willingly since he felt that a Catholic country should have a Catholic king even if he remained a proud protestant himself. There's a story about how, when the king was on his deathbed, his daughter-in-law Marie Henriette of Austria made one last attempt to convince him to join the Catholic faith to which he loudly shouted "Nein!".

Only King Leopold I was Calvinist , all his descendence is Catholic our State Religion.
It was said his last word was "Nein" because Princess Marie Henriette wanted him to be Catholic .
I see you beat me to it.

King Leopold I was Protestant but his wife Louise-Marie d'Orléans and children were Roman Catholic which was the biggest faith in the kingdom.

You're quite right that Leopold I agreed to raise his children as Catholics in keeping with the Catholic population of Belgium, but just as a clarification, there was technically no state religion under the Belgian constitution.

The Wedding of Wedding Leopold I of Belgium and Louise d'Orléans took place at the chapel of the Château de Compiègne.

609px-Wedding_Leopold_I_of_Belgium_and_Louise_of_Orl%C3%A9ans_%28Joseph_D%C3%A9sir%C3%A9_Court%29.jpg

I saw the Chapel at the Castle of Compiègne which is much smaller....

Leopold and Louise-Marie's chidren were raised as Catholics. Leopold himself remained a Protestant until his dying breath.

I thought he was Lutheran though, rather than Calvinist. Why did he have a Calvinist wedding?

EDIT: Leopold's first wife, Charlotte of Wales, of course was an Anglican.

Last edited:
Leopold and Louise-Marie's chidren were raised as Catholics. Leopold himself remained a Protestant until his dying breath.

I thought he was Lutheran though, rather than Calvinist. Why did he have a Calvinist wedding?

EDIT: Leopold's first wife, Charlotte of Wales, of course was an Anglican.

You are correct. According to various editions of the Almanach de Gotha, Leopold was Lutheran.

Several British newspapers including the London Morning Post stated he married Louise in three ceremonies at the Chateau de Compiegne: (1) a civil ceremony performed in the gallery by Baron Pasquier (President of the Chamber of Peers) and M. Cauchy (Keeper of the Archives), followed by (2) a Roman Catholic ceremony in the chapel, performed by the Bishop of Meaux, and (3) a ceremony performed in a salon according to the "rites of the Reformed church" (Morning Post, August 14, 1832, p. 4, col. 1). Other newspapers used "Lutheran" in place of "Reformed" when describing the third ceremony (see for example the London Morning Advertiser, August 14, 1832, p . 1, col. 3).

British newspapers also reported his funeral was conducted by Lutheran ministers including his chaplain, Pastor Becker. For example, see the London Morning Post, December 19, 1865, p. 5, col. 3 & 4.

Queen Louise-Marie's brother had been a contender for the Belgian throne. Her brother was Prince Louis of Orleans, Duke of Nemours.

Queen Louise-Marie's brother had been a contender for the Belgian throne. Her brother was Prince Louis of Orleans, Duke of Nemours.

He was also proposed as a possible candidate for the Kingdom of Greece :previous:

Back
Top Bottom