Princess Stephanie of Belgium, Crownprincess of Austria

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Preity

Commoner
City
Claustrophobia
Country
Germany
A thread to Stephanie 1864-1945, daughter of King leopold II. and Marie Henriette.

Attachments

• steffi.jpg
    steffi.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 672
Do you mean the picture steffi?
This Picture is from the book "Stephanie" written by Irmgard Schiel.
credit: Archives of the Authoress Irmgard Schiel.

I don´t know the credits of the worldroots pictures. It is not my Homepage.

could anyone tell me a little bit more about her. i was reading a book for history and a picture of her came up, and her name did too. and i know this may be a stupid question but is lorenz closely related to the current belgian royal family? you know, because of previous royal blood marriages in the past, if that made any sence :p :confused:

The later Princess Marie-Jose of Belgium recalled reading, as a child, Stephanie's diaries.
"She was a melancholy person....from childhood, she dreamed of a great love," Marie-Jose remembered.

Today in Royal History is the 74th Death Anniversary of Princess Stéphanie of Belgium daughter of Leopold II of Belgium and Archduchess Marie Henriette of Austria. She was first married to Rudolf, Crown Prince of Austria and had a daughter named Archduchess Elisabeth Amalie.

She died on 23 August 1945 age 81 same day as her mother's birthday.

She had a lot of unhappiness in her life. I am glad she found a nice man at the end. She was very handsome, and she stayed that way till the end.

She loved her Grandchildren Windisch Graetz.
She lost a lot of jewels and lands.

The marriage to Rodolfo was not successful. But she later lived happily with her second husband, the Hungarian Count Elemér Lónyai.

Theo Aronson does not have a high opinion of her in The Coburgs of Belgium. He calls her "smug and silly" and says she was a terrible match for Rudolf. But that she was declared insane for being an embarrassment and locked away for years (especially by a man whose sister truly was, and was treated far better!) is too much.

Theo Aronson does not have a high opinion of her in The Coburgs of Belgium. He calls her "smug and silly" and says she was a terrible match for Rudolf. But that she was declared insane for being an embarrassment and locked away for years (especially by a man whose sister truly was, and was treated far better!) is too much.

Was Stephanie locked away as insane? I never remember that about her....

My mistake. Yes, Stephanie was smug and silly, but it was her older sister Louise, six years. Still, being part of that terrible man's family seemed to guarantee sadness. Without hyperbole.

My mistake. Yes, Stephanie was smug and silly, but it was her older sister Louise, six years. Still, being part of that terrible man's family seemed to guarantee sadness. Without hyperbole.
So what happened ot Stephanie? I know that Louise was locked up because she had fallen in love with another man. Who was the one who relay was insane?
I thougth that the Hapsburgs didn't like Stephanie but she was not at all ill treated and while they did not like her making a second marriage she was able to do so....

It didnt happen!!!Someone is confused here with Charlotte,the Empress of Mexico here.Stephanie was never locked away!She was a bad match for Rudolf?No dear,the other way around,that syphyllus infested no good with the brain of a peanut aka the Crown Prince of Austria Hungary.No,Rudolph wasn t to blame for his lack of grey cells except when it came to the opposite sex,no,but that other,well,issue,was shoveled aside by Stephanies darling daddy Leopold II who knew all about that being a ladies man himself...Who,if anyone,should have been locked away......

Theo Aronson should have retired when it was his time.

Her daughter Archduchess Elisabeth Marie led a very interesting life!

So what happened ot Stephanie? I know that Louise was locked up because she had fallen in love with another man. Who was the one who relay was insane?
I thougth that the Hapsburgs didn't like Stephanie but she was not at all ill treated and while they did not like her making a second marriage she was able to do so....

The one who was really insane was their aunt Carlota, but she was very gently cared for and lived in a castle for decades. Which makes Leopold using it as a false device to get rid of and control Louise even more sickening, somehow.

Nothing happened to Stephanie. According to Wikipedia, Rudolf gave her gonorrhea so she couldn't have more children, her charming father refused to let her see her mother when she was dying, her husband was raised to a Prince from a Count (guess the Habsburgs couldn't protest much), and she only managed to publish her memoir outside of Austria. She and her second husband seem to have been happy. She also patented a new kind of chafing dish.

The Wedding of Rudolf and Stephanie was the worst arranged Royal Wedding ! What a sad life she had at the Imperial Court of the Hasbourg.
They had one girl Elisabeth , who married a Prince of Windisch Graetz , divorced an had such a bad behaviour that she did not see her Mother, her Children and Grandchildren . She was called l' Archiduchesse Rouge.
Princess Stephanie was happy with her second husband but lost all her Habsbourg Privilèges and definitely her Father's tiny love and respect.
She lost all her lands after WW2 but received full of love from her daughter Stephanie WG , Comtesse d' Alcantara and her late Son told me his grandmother booked a whole
floor in one of the best Hotels of the belgian seaside.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom