Princess Lilian of Belgium (2nd wife of King Leopold III)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a Belgian I have heard a lot of times people who told me (and it was a very strong rumour in the population, I just state it for your info) that Liliane and Beaudoin were TOO close if you see what I mean. It was widely said in the population....

But even if they new, there was still Albert and his heirs, before Leopold and Lilian's children.

Leopold's children were excluded from succession, it was stated when they married.

But if Albert had no children, Baudouin would have been lacking an heir. Until 1991, only male line descendents of Leopold I could inherit. And besides him and his brother, there were none. The succession allowed in absence of an heir for a king to name one with parliament approval. Perhaps Leopold could hope that Baudouin would choose one of his half-siblings. It seems more likely he would have IMO chosen one of his sister's children. Prince Jean or Guillaume may have been likely choices, or even one of the girls, introducing absolute primogeniture and applying it to earlier generations instead of simply Albert's kids.

But I find it hard to believe anyone could know Fabiola couldn't carry back then. Even with the advancement in medicine today, it isn't always easy to tell. Trouble conceiving is different then carrying. In a virgin of those times, it would have been extremely hard to know.

As a Belgian I have heard a lot of times people who told me (and it was a very strong rumour in the population, I just state it for your info) that Liliane and Beaudoin were TOO close if you see what I mean. It was widely said in the population....

Ah the famous Tyrol trip where they had to share the same sleeping compartment (supposedly).
It's probably (almost definitly) another rumor, the worst with that.
But Baudoin was, for sure, mesmerised by Lilian.

Ahead of the 15th anniversary of Princess Lilian's death tomorrow (June 7, 2017), I have uploaded a few old articles from 2002 and 2003:

From Warren's Collection...

"King Leopold's widow dies"
Author: N/A
Source: Sydney Morning Herald
Published: June 9, 2002

"A wife loved by a king but not her people"
Author: Suzy Baldwin {editor}
Source: Sydney Morning Herald {from The Daily Telegraph, London}
Published: June 20, 2002

"Obsèques Familiales a Laeken: Lilian rejoint Leopold III"
Author: Francois Billaut and Violaine le Hardy de Beaulieu
Source: Point de Vue
Published: June 19, 2002

"Lilian"
Author: Jenny Alexander
Source: Majesty Magazine
Published: May 2003

She was an incredibly chic and elegant woman for sure. When Jacqueline Kennedy entered the White House as First Lady, she reportedly directed her own couturier Oleg Cassini to make her look "similar the the Princess de Rethy, only younger".

Her dresses were stored in 20 wardrobes. The Princess had an excellent Governess who took care of them. Most of the dresses are sold.

Later she went to the shops in Waterloo and bought mostly Austrian dresses.

Her daughter Esmeralda wore her Mother red dress and hat for Prince Laurent's Wedding

What happened to Queen Astrid's emerald necklace/ convertible tiara last worn by Princess Lilian ? Did Lilian sell it as she sold Queen Elisabeth's Cartier tiara ?

What happened to Queen Astrid's emerald necklace/ convertible tiara last worn by Princess Lilian ? Did Lilian sell it as she sold Queen Elisabeth's Cartier tiara ?

The fact is we simply don't know. Some say it was given to Josephine Charlotte and later transformed, some say it was indeed privately sold by Lilian and some say it's still hidden somewhere in some vaults of the Belgian royals.

Lilian is a tricky character, perhaps not the best mother and stepmother, and what seems to be a very headstrong personality as well. But considering she told Leopold "kings marry princesses", knew she was marrying a man whose first wife would be forever young, beautiful and universally adored (yikes), and gained almost nothing in return but scorn, a permanently terrible reputation, and being imprisoned, starved, and nearly murdered by the Nazis... I can't think she was out for much.

And ever since I learned:
-She insisted on getting proper medical attention for Albert in captivity and likely saved a future king's leg from gangrene
-And she was smart enough not to give her family the "vitamins" which, when analyzed, turned out to be cyanide pills...

Lilian has been okay in my book. Major errors of her own, too, but she probably does deserve a more evenhanded appraisal of her reputation... which is difficult when she basically lived as a private citizen and when seemingly nothing will change her Belgian image.

After Alexander's heart operation, she decided to offer to any people having a child in need of that expensive surgery, the operation paid by herself.
I know personnally a little girl (then) who had this free operation paid by Lilian. Her parents transmitted her medical files and she was operated and it didn't cost one franc (at the time) to her parents.

I'm not sure I understand why it wasn't covered by the universal health care and it was necessary for the Princess to be so charitable, though.

I'm not sure I understand why it wasn't covered by the universal health care and it was necessary for the Princess to be so charitable, though.

Might it be that Belgium did not have free universal healthcare at the time? :flowers:

From what I understand they did so in 1945, before the UK.

I imagine that the healthcare service at the time did not cover newer & experimental treatments, as is the case today still. Especially not treatments in the US, like those of her son (who was treated in Boston).

Well I don't know, it was maybe 60 years ago, all I know is like I wrote I personally know someome who benefited from it. And without that help, I think it would not have been possible for not very affluent people to have their child operated on.

But so even with making these very dramatic and beneficial and real gestures (although I'm sure she never meant to gain publicity with it, you'd think word would spread and stay), is she thought of as a philanthropist? Not really, and not compared to all the negativity and rumors.

I wonder if modern PR would have fixed anything. Could it have kept Leopold on the throne?

King Leopold III and Princess Lilian had visited the Belgian Congo in 1957 and returned to Belgium

Back
Top Bottom