King Leopold I of The Belgians (1790-1865)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Leopold I advised Queen Victoria to marry his nephew Albert and it was a good Choice.

Good gracious can we all agree that that was one good looking man. Rarely do you find dead historical figures who are that handsome.

At the Chapel of the Compiègne Castle i visited. Much smaller than on the Painting.
Kins Leopold I ,last word was Nein, because his daughter in law Princess Marie Henriette wanted him to die Catholic.

With the opening of the railway line between Brussels and Mechelen on May 5, 1835, one of King Leopold I's hopes, which was to build the first railway in continental Europe, became a reality.

I think i just had a deja-vu: you already posted thus as post #47 in this thread :flowers:

A Walloon animation studio is raising money to start an animation series about Leopold I. A trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Ltu7yDaYs

The film will be 29 minutes and they need 120.000 euros for that. They hope to raise 50.000 euros by crowd funding.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/leopold-roi-des-belges--2

I suppose that the lady telling Leopold to get a job is his mother? I recognise King Louis-Philippe, King Willem I, Queen Louise-Marie and the lady on the large painting must be Pss Charlotte of Wales.

Last edited:
Leopold Ier and Louise-Marie had 4 children : Louis-Philippe (= called Babochon +), Leopold II, Philippe Count of Flandres and Charlotte last Empress of Mexico. Queen Louise-Marie died when she was only 38 .
His officiel mistress was Arcadie Claret , burried at the Laeken's cimetery.
Altough evereybody know about Arcadie , his morganitic wedding in Germany (1929) is 99% unkown. He has children with Arcadie , they are unknown yet.

Alleged children, as Arcadie was married and promiscuous. Per members of her own family - neither child looked anything like the other so it was suspected she had other lovers.

Well, she wasn't an official anything, as she was dismissed just after the Queen died. It's been documented by many historians, it's just recent "historians" who make her into something she wasn't. She was very much disliked as she was an arrogant, stupid woman. She treated her husband badly and her own mother got her to marry in order to stay close to and entrap the King. Per many historians, she started as a mistress yet became more a friend, if EVEN that. She only came around to get favours for her family.

Last edited:
I did not know that Leopold I was not close to his sisters Juliane (Grand Duchess Anna Feodorovna of Russia) and Victoria (the Duchess of Kent) and his brothers Ernest I of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and Ferdinand and other siblings.

He was close to some and not close to others. He was indeed fond of Juliane.

King Leopold I died Lutheran , we still have a lutheran Church near our Place Royale
The Priest of the Church of Laeken did not want his late body entering is Church.
The Royal Crypt is therefore behind the Church.
The Children of his Mistress Arcadie Claret were titled von Eppinghoven, I did not know the title was conferred by Ernest II , I always thought it was from the King itself.
What are your sources ? Thanks

She bought it for her illegitimate children. Unlike a couple of recent authors who manufacture information about AC, she bought the titles because she believed the King was dying and didn't want the gravy train to end. He had next to nothing to do with her at this point - she was nothing but a "friend" at this point.

Arcadie Claret was the belgian mistress the King had until the end of is life.
MAfan you are speaking about a german lady and a morganatic wedding before he was King of the Belgians. This was an officially unknown and strange story ..

No, this is not true, sorry. She was dismissed as a mistress VERY early after the death of Queen Louise. It's only a few authors who claim she was until his death, but that is not the least bit true.

There is a author or two who made up information about her for their own reasons - THAT is what is strange. She was very unpopular, her entire family was. Not a good or accomplished woman.

Last edited:
Leopold I married Princess Louise-Marie of France (Orleans). The couple got 3 children; Leopold (II), Phillipe and Charlotte.

Wedding of Leopold and Louise-Marie:

huwelijkleo1.jpg

The couple:

naamloos-1.jpg

That is Leopold with his beloved daughter. :flowers:

King Leopold I was offered to make the sacrifice of his crown in the Revolution of 1848.
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-=t...g-to-make-the-sacrifice-of-his-173213106.html

Correspondence between King Leopold I and Queen Victoria (see the online Letters from the Queen) shows that Leopold was afraid of losing his crown in 1848 (especially after the monarchy had fallen in France) and appealed for British protection should republican France try to invade and occupy Belgium.

Having said that, the Revolution of 1848 ultimately did not spill over to Belgium, in part due to Leopold's political skill and sound government, so I don't quite understand what episode the picture is representing exactly.

From what I know, Leopold had an affair with Caroline after Charlotte's death. They may or may not have married, and she was Stockmar's cousin...

From what I found out Leopold I married i Karoline Bauer in a secret marriage on July 2nd, 1829; by that occassion she was created "countess Mountgomery". They divorced already in 1831.

Does anyone know where that secret marriage took place and when and where they exactly divorced?

This is Top Secret in Belgium.
We only know his mistress Mme Arcadie Claret who has her grave in the cimetery of Laeken. He never married her.

A Walloon animation studio is raising money to start an animation series about Leopold I. A trailer:

The film will be 29 minutes and they need 120.000 euros for that. They hope to raise 50.000 euros by crowd funding.

I suppose that the lady telling Leopold to get a job is his mother? I recognise King Louis-Philippe, King Willem I, Queen Louise-Marie and the lady on the large painting must be Pss Charlotte of Wales.

King Willem I of the Netherlands looks really evil and the whole animation looks a little bit grotesque.

I don't know who the British lady telling Leopold to get a job is supposed to be. Maybe the authors of the cartoon just got their history wrong.

Last edited:
This is Top Secret in Belgium.
We only know his mistress Mme Arcadie Claret who has her grave in the cimetery of Laeken. He never married her.

Thank you Maria-Olivia for your quick response.
That is alleged mariage is somewhat of a secret issue in Belgium, I already assumed, since it isn't mentioned in a lot of places; I came across it by coincidence and it intrigued me to know more about it.
But since Leopold I and Karoline Bauer never officially married and divorced, I can better assume it didn't take place...?:lol:

I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere, as I have no time to research it at the moment, but is there any evidence of a secret marriage apart from Karoline Bauer's own statements?

The movie about Leopold was finished! It's more than 40 minutes long!

You can watch it here!
...if you don't mind watching unsubtitled French, that is.

I don't think anyone has ever figured out who the lady on the British throne is. My guess is just "Britannia" mixed with a latter-day Victoria, as the visual of William IV followed by a young Victoria probably wouldn't have the same impact or meaning. "She" is also Leopold's (ex) mother-in-law, of course.

Last edited:
After the Greek War of Independence (1821–1830), Leopold was offered the throne of Greece under the 1830 London Protocol that created an independent Greek state, but turned it down, believing it to be too precarious. Instead, he accepted the throne of Belgium in 1831 following the country's independence in 1830. The Belgian government offered the position to Leopold because of his diplomatic connections with royal houses across Europe, and because as the British-backed candidate, he was not affiliated with other powers, such as France, which were believed to have territorial ambitions in Belgium which might threaten the European balance of power created by the 1815 Congress of Vienna.

Leopold took his oath as King of the Belgians on 21 July 1831, an event commemorated annually as Belgian National Day.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_I_of_Belgium

Engraving of the wedding of Charlotte and Leopold in 1816.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Charlotte_and_Leopold_wedding.jpg

Last edited:
Such a shame there were no regalia created for the occasion the Belgians have no ceremonial crown or crown jewels to display at Enthronements or Funerals.

It was said his last word was "Nein" because Princess Marie Henriette wanted him to be Catholic .

The full story:

https://crossoflaeken.blogspot.com/2009/12/death-of-leopold-i.html

Charles d'Ydewalle, biographer of Leopold's grandson, King Albert I, gives a melancholy account of Leopold's passing:

The death-bed of Leopold I was a sad one, with something puritanical and cold about it. In his death agony, he called: "Charlotte...Charlotte..." but no one knew whether he was calling to his daughter, the Empress of Mexico, or to that first Charlotte of Claremont and those enchanted years whose happy memories once more unfolded before his darkening eyes.

"Do you regret the sins you have committed, Sire?" asked his daughter-in-law. He sighed heavily, and answered: "Yes..."

"In the name of the love you bear for the Queen's memory," went on the wife of Leopold II, "will you not be converted to her religion so that you may meet her again in Heaven?"

"Nein..." he whispered.

Thus died the first King of the Belgians.

Back
Top Bottom