King Baudouin (1930-1993) and Queen Fabiola (1928-2014) of the Belgians

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Palace share some pictures of the King Baudouin on the day of his 90th birthday:

"Today, it has been 90 years since King Baudouin was born. Baudouin Albert Charles Leopold Axel Marie Gustaaf was born on September 7, 1930 at the Château du Stuyvenberg (Laeken). The photos of the still baby Prince, in the arms of his mother, Princess Astrid, were taken by his grandmother, Queen Elisabeth. These are the very first photographs of the future King Baudouin who reigned from 1951 to 1993.
Some anecdotes: ⁣

�� King Baudouin was named after Prince Baudouin, the older brother of his grandfather, King Albert I. ⁣
�� King Baudouin was very athletic, just like his father King Leopold III. He practiced golf and skiing.
�� King Baudouin had a real passion for astronomy and loved to observe the stars."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE1EArWn7oO/

The Palace share some pictures of the King Baudouin on the day of his 90th birthday:

"Today, it has been 90 years since King Baudouin was born. Baudouin Albert Charles Leopold Axel Marie Gustaaf was born on September 7, 1930 at the Château du Stuyvenberg (Laeken). The photos of the still baby Prince, in the arms of his mother, Princess Astrid, were taken by his grandmother, Queen Elisabeth. These are the very first photographs of the future King Baudouin who reigned from 1951 to 1993.

�� King Baudouin was named after Prince Baudouin, the older brother of his grandfather, King Albert I. ⁣
�� King Baudouin was very athletic, just like his father King Leopold III. He practiced golf and skiing.
�� King Baudouin had a real passion for astronomy and loved to observe the stars."

I always thin of him as very old, as I was a little kid when he madea state visit to Ireland.. early 70s I think. And he seemed old to me then. but he would only be 90 now?

His Kindness is still in all our Memories.
A great exemple for King Philippe who knew him so well.

The pain in Belgium was immense.... he was really appreciated !

I cannot imagine Baudouin at age 90...he was only 62-63 years old when he suddenly died.:sad:

Also, the 15th of September marks 60 years that his engagement to Fabiola was announced.

"We have loved the stars too fondly, to be fearful of the night."

Those are so sweet. And very special that Elisabeth got to take the first pictures, even though I don't suppose these have ever been "official" before now.

Last edited:
I cannot imagine Baudouin at age 90...he was only 62-63 years old when he suddenly died.:sad:

Had he lived longer he'd have been one of the longest reigning Belgian Monarchs.

I'm glad the Belgian Monarchy marked the anniversary of his birth with those personal photos.

Unless he outlived Albert, Albert would be his next heir..

To rehash this argument, it was widely expected that Albert would renounce in favor of Philippe, who had essentially been supervised by Baudouin and Fabiola as the heir. It was only because Baudouin died so young that older and more experienced Albert stepped in, and then gave his son time to have a family. Had Baudouin lived longer, Albert's reign wouldn't have been necessary.

Unless he outlived Albert, Albert would be his next heir..
It was widely believed at the time that Philippe would succeed his uncle and not Albert. I remember Swedish TV-news reporting how surprised many were when it didn't happen and saying it was because Philippe was considered to immature by the political establishment. In the end the outcome proved quite successful since Albert was a much better king than people had thought he would be.

I'm glad the Belgian Monarchy marked the anniversary of his birth with those personal photos.

I fully agree, especially as he (to his disappointment) had no descendants of his own, which in some royal families could have led him to be forgotten. As it is, not only is he commemorated on major anniversaries but the monarchy has regularly shared reminders of how much he was loved.

Even though Baudouin died at a relatively young age, he came to the Throne when he was barely out of his teens. That meant he had been king for over 40 years at the time of his sudden death. That is a VERY long time to reign even today with longer life expectancy. Many Belgians could not remember another King of the Belgians in 1993.

Take into account all the momentous events that took place during his reign... crisis and independence in the Congo, the transformation of Belgium into a Federal state, sweeping societal change....there was no way that Baudouin would not still be recognized as a major important figure in Belgian history despite his lack of direct descendants.

Google the guest list for his State funeral to get an idea of what a respected and important figure he was at his sudden death in 1993. Probably only QEII will draw a similar or bigger lineup.

I think, just like Fabiola, he would have adored Mathilde. And he would be very proud of Philippe.

Last edited:
Posts about the names of members of the Belgian Royal Family have been moved here.

Even though Baudouin died at a relatively young age, he came to the Throne when he was barely out of his teens. That meant he had been king for over 40 years at the time of his sudden death. That is a VERY long time to reign even today with longer life expectancy. Many Belgians could not remember another King of the Belgians in 1993.

Take into account all the momentous events that took place during his reign... crisis and independence in the Congo, the transformation of Belgium into a Federal state, sweeping societal change....there was no way that Baudouin would not still be recognized as a major important figure in Belgian history despite his lack of direct descendants.

Google the guest list for his State funeral to get an idea of what a respected and important figure he was at his sudden death in 1993. Probably only QEII will draw a similar or bigger lineup.

I think, just like Fabiola, he would have adored Mathilde. And he would be very proud of Philippe.

I quite agree with this. I don't think Belgium will ever see such a national gathering again.

As for the latter part - I believe that in some ways King Philippe and Queen Mathilde are more Baudouin and Fabiola's son and daughter-in-law than Albert and Paola's.

And when I watch King Philippe's ascending the throne and that everything went smoothly - I have the feeling that King Baudouin is bursting with pride. That, in contrast with his own ascension, is what he prepared his nephew for for all those years.

Last edited:
King Baudouin was absolutely not a modern King and had an old fashion staff.
King Philippe has a top staff. the best !
King Albert II did well his unexpected Reign and was a link between the 2 Kings
Yes He should be proud about the perfect behavior of the King , the Queen and their Children.

I quite agree with this. I don't think Belgium will ever see such a national gathering again.

As for the latter part - I believe that in some ways King Philippe and Queen Mathilde are more Baudouin and Fabiola's son and daughter-in-law than Albert and Paola's.

And when I watch King Philippe's ascending the throne and that everything went smoothly - I have the feeling that King Baudouin is bursting with pride. That, in contrast with his own ascension, is what he prepared his nephew for for all those years.

From the Emperor of Japan to Queen Elizabeth II,Queen Beatrix,all Reigning Monarchs attended Baudouin s funeral,as Baudouin was a Reigning Monarch as well.

From the Emperor of Japan to Queen Elizabeth II,Queen Beatrix,all Reigning Monarchs attended Baudouin s funeral,as Baudouin was a Reigning Monarch as well.
And to that also a lot of Presidents

And to that also a lot of Presidents
<

And what was so impressive all walked from the Royal Palace to the St.Gudele & St.Michael Cathedral.a very impressive procession.

Except QEII and Mitterrand,merci Marengo...

Last edited:
:previous:

I don't remember seeing photos of them at the funeral service. That would have been quite a delegation!

President Mitterand and Queen Elizabeth II did not walk in the procession but came by car, probably due to security concerns. I assume the American presidents would not have walked in the procession for the same reason.

Last edited:
Aslo don't remeber the american Presidents at the funeral f King Baudouin but alot of them attended the funeral of King Hussein of Jordan. Yes i found it also very impressive that all the royals and Heads of State walked behind the coffin from the Royal Palace to the Cathedral.

His reign was long by Belgian Royal standards 42 years I think only Leopold II reigned for slightly longer.

The Protocole did one mistake placing President and Madame Mitterand at the 4 row behind Crown Prince Willem Alexander.
But at the lunch after the Funerals the President was placed next to Queen Fabiola

I just remembber of story a well known Priest (Jésuite)told us :

He was invited for Dinner at the Castle of laeken. He lived in a community House and when he took his car to go , no contact and then he took a small truck with tags from someone living at his place.

He arrived at the Castle of Laeken and the guards of the Main Gate were surprised but He showed his invitation and they told him not to park just before the Castle.

He met King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola. He wanted to see the Queen' s engagement ring etc.. But nothing happened because the King asked to the go: "Père A. Quel a été votre cheminement spirituel ? " and then he spoke spoke..

They had a nice evening , I thought he could leave easily , but the King and the Queen stayed before their Castle and he has to explain about his car... They waved until he left the Gate.

He said since then in our House we stay and wave until our guests are away...

Last edited:
Comtesse Solange de Liedekerke was Queen Fabiola Lady in Waiting during 50 years.She passed away 2 years after the Queen. Unmarried she followed the Royal Couple at Motril too. She was Grand Cordon de l' Ordre de Léopold ans ea Commandeur de l' Ordre du Zaire.

Actually Queen Mathilde has 5 Ladies in Waiting.

Did Queens Fabiola and Paola also have 5 ladies in waiting?

Back
Top Bottom