Queen Beatrix Speaking

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happy_27

Commoner
;) Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any links or audio files of Queen Beatrix speaking, in english if available.

Thanks

I went to the link, yet it did not work on my computer. Does anyone know of any other links of Queen Beatrix speaking?

It worked on my computer. Do you have Real One Player? That's the program that my computer used to play the video :)

I finally got it to work on my computer. My Real One Player must not have been working. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know of clips of her speaking in English? English is my first language, so I can't understand the Dutch. Thanks.

I have found clips of Beatrix speaking in Dutch on a Dutch news site under NOS-Journaal. Yet I have not found any clips of her speaking in English. Does anyone know where to find some clips of her speaking in English? Thanks.

rtsp://webcastvod.coe.int:554/mediatheque/vod/020625_R01_W.rm

English speech for Council of Europe, Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands

Queen Beatrix can speak english , but it is with a dutch accent , I think

Love :heart:
Emilia :flower:

It sounded British to me, but I guess it's in the ear of the listener. :p

Anyway, I was a little surprised how strong her voice is, it's very commanding.

the link won't work. can anyone help?

Originally posted by Emilia@Aug 6th, 2004 - 4:52 pm
Queen Beatrix can speak english , but it is with a dutch accent , I think

Love :heart:
Emilia :flower:
Her Majesty has a "mixed accent" there is a strong British element but also a bit of Canadian and just a slight hint of dutch.

It should be noted ther Her Majesty spent a few years in Canada during the second world war where she went to English schools.

Originally posted by bct88@Aug 6th, 2004 - 5:06 pm
the link won't work. can anyone help?
First, make sure that you have Real Player on your computer. Then open a browser and copy/paste the address on it; it should work. Hope that helps! :flower:

I have real Player, I did exactly that, and it still didn't work. It says "Cannot find server, the page cannot be displayed, etc." I don't know what to do.

I found a different clip of Queen Beatrix speaking in English. Thankfully, it worked. ;) Here it is. You can also hear Prince Bernhard, Prince Willem-Alexander, Prince Constantijn, Mabel Wisse Smit, Prince Johan Friso, and Princess Maxima speaking. Only Queen Beatrix and Prince Bernhard are speaking English.

I also found a clip of Prince Claus speaking in 1965. Here it is. It is about 1/2 way down the page. There is a small image that says Real Audio, with 1965 below it. Just click there.

I think she barely has a Dutch accent .. To my Canadian ears she sounds much more Canadian than British..:) I wonder if there are any recordings of her or Claus in German.
I think Prince Contantijn once held a speech in German while visiting his late father's birth country..

I am from the US, and Queen Beatrix seems to have a strong Canadian accent. My guess is that she picked it up there during the war. Unlike Margrethe of Denmark or Harald of Norway, her accent is very North American. That is surprising for Harald seeing that his lived in Washington, D.C. during the war.

Great finds with the clips! I had always wondered what Beatrix's voice sounded like. I was very suprised. What surprised me even more than her accent was the pitch of her voice. It was much higher than I expected it to be. I guess somehow I had always imaged her sounding a little more like Queen Margarethe.

I was surprised at the pitch of her voice as well. I had expected her to have a deeper voice. In the meantime it's Maxima..:)
I am wondering if there are any recordings of Claus in German and perhaps even Beatrix. We know that the sons speak their father's language. I believe Prince Constantijn held a speech in German when his late father was honored in Germany.

I think that when Beatrix speaks Dutch, her voice seems to be very different than her voice when she speaks English. I am not talking about the accent though. Has anyone else noticed that?

Yes, I know what you mean.She sounds different..Just don't know the right word to describe it.. Would you say she sounds more commanding or softer??
I have been told the same about myself. I was born and raised in Germany and my first language is German. However, I barely speak it here in Canada but when I do, my pals tell me that I sound softer....Hmm...

It seems that when she is speaking Dutch, her voice is more commanding but also not as highly pitched as when she speaks English.

The video of The watcher is really great. I had never heard her speak english, but it´s great, Better than I thought,
(Don´t know how to Quote things here)

The Watcher
Advanced Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

English speech for Council of Europe, Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands

I have looked, looked, and looked some more, but have found no clips of Beatrix speaking english. Does anyone know where I can find any?

Thanks DDD. I have never heard her speak before, and it was really nice to hear what her English sounded like. :)

How did you get it to work? It will not work on my computer. Help please!

Back
Top Bottom