Queen Beatrix Announces Abdication: January 28, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
a historical moment indeed!

although i am sad to see beatrix "leave", i am incredibly happy for WA and maxima. i think they will be a fantastic regent couple. i am counting the days to their inauguration which will surely be grand. does anyone know what beatrix's inauguration was like? what kind of events happen?

and of course, i am also looking forward to the next royal meet-up, royalty from all over in the netherlands to celebrate the new king and queen!

i hope the netherlands changes the tradition and allows the queen to remain so.

The King of The Netherlands can not bestow titles on anybody he pleases he has to follow the constitution, we are not in a third world country without a written constitution like the UK.

third world country, the UK? excuse me?

Both Wilhelmina and Juliana were known as Princesses after their abdication.
But it was their won choise. Now it is regulated in the Act of the membership of the Royal House so Beatrix can not decide if she will be known as Princess or not.

A sad day for the Dutch, the end of an era and yet, the beginning of
a new..! I hope that Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Maxima will
rise to the occasion. I don't know much about the couple, but from what
I can see from my vantage point Maxima is one of the most charming consorts around!
And come to think of it, maybe the Dutch take on abdication isn't such
a bad idea! I'd prefer that to an ailing monarch!

Dear Dutch TRF-members, I hope that congratulations are in order!

All the best:flowers:
Viv

She will be called that, but it is unconstitutional, only a male heir can be the prince of Orange

Yes she will be. We don't have the title crownprincess in the Netherlands. The title for the heir to the throne is prince of princess of Orange.

She will be called that, but it is unconstitutional, only a male heir can be the prince of Orange

Not according to the act regulating membership in the royal house. The same act that says an abdicated monarch reverts to being Prince/Princess says a female heir apparent is Princess of Orange.

Amsterdam AND the Nieuwe Kerk are the venues of the Inthronisation as says the Constitution,regardless what the NOS says,they are wrong Gertrude,as they are more then one would wish for it being such a highly subsidised public funding tv station..

For he first time there Will be 2 crown princesses in their own right
Crown princess Victoria of Sweden and Princess Catharina-Amalia of Orange.

I am happy for Queen Beatrix, she has been a wonderful Queen but if her heart tells her it is time to move on then its time to move on.

I only wish they would style her with the title HH Queen rather than HRH Princess. Willem and Maxima will be wonderful in their new positions....I have read people questioning the Queen doing this now while Willems children are still young. I don't think for one minute that Willems and Maxima were not involved with the Queens's decision, of course Beatrix will have discussed this at length with them.

I think her son's accident may have influenced her too, she saw how precious life is and now she will have more time and freedom to spend with her family.

She may not be my Queen but I have always had a lot of respect for Beatrix...I wish her nothing but happiness in her retirement!

Not according to the act regulating membership in the royal house. The same act that says an abdicated monarch reverts to being Prince/Princess says a female heir apparent is Princess of Orange.
Yes thats true, but the act regulating membership in the royal house was changed in 1983 so that also female heirs would receive the title princess of Orange, but in the constitution there is no princess of Orange.The changes of 1983 are unconstitutional.

I am happy for Queen Beatrix, she has been a wonderful Queen but if her heart tells her it is time to move on then its time to move on.

I only wish they would style her with the title HH Queen rather than HRH Princess. Willem and Maxima will be wonderful in their new positions....I have read people questioning the Queen doing this now while Willems children are still young. I don't think for one minute that Willems and Maxima were not involved with the Queens's decision, of course Beatrix will have discussed this at length with them.

I think her son's accident may have influenced her too, she saw how precious life is and now she will have more time and freedom to spend with her family.

She may not be my Queen but I have always had a lot of respect for Beatrix...I wish her nothing but happiness in her retirement!

Excuse my ignorance, but I am confused. People here say Queen Beatrix will be known as "princess" But on wikipedia, it has a photo of the late Queen Emma and it says: "photo of Emma, the Queen Mother". Why would Queen Beatrix not be called the same?

Excuse my ignorance, but I am confused. People here say Queen Beatrix will be known as "princess" But on wikipedia, it has a photo of the late Queen Emma and it says: "photo of Emma, the Queen Mother". Why would Queen Beatrix not be called the same?

According to the constitution, a monarch becomes a Prince or Princess, upon abdication because there can only be one Monarch. Upon death they should have no titles but public, family revert back to King or Queen. Such as in the case of Queen Juliana.

Yes thats true, but the act regulating membership in the royal house was changed in 1983 so that also female heirs would receive the title princess of Orange, but in the constitution there is no princess of Orange.The changes of 1983 are unconstitutional.

Surely this act was passed by the government, who know their own constitution, and have decided that this is placed above what's written in the constitution. Governments don't tend to authorise unconstitutional acts now.

Last edited:

It is custom that after the Abdicated Monarch,known as Princess or Prince,passes away,they further will be known by the title of King / Queen.

I am betting your constitution also speaks of the monarch as King, but that didnt make Wilhemina, Juliana or Beatrix any less the monarch and Queen.

It is custom that after the Abdicated Monarch,known as Princess or Prince,passes away,they further will be known by the title of King / Queen.

Thank you very much!!!!:)

Queen Emma never abdicated and was only regent in the name of her daughter. When Wilhelmina abdicated she decided to revert to the title of Princess. In her biography she said that she liked to die with the same name/title as she was born. Juliana and Beatrix followed her example.

-------------------------

Pictures of today, the prince of Orange, his wife and children leaving Villa Eikenhorst earlier today: https://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?eventid=1398018

Because it is regulated in the act of membership of the royal house.

I am betting your constitution also speaks of the monarch as King, but that didnt make Wilhemina, Juliana or Beatrix any less the monarch and Queen.

okay, ignorant me again! LOL If it is unconstitutional, then how can they do it?

Actually of all the royal couples I see WA and Maxima being as attentive to their children, as they are now. They don't seem the nanny type. As a Briton I completely disagree with your assessment, I feel sorry for Charles because of the short time he'll have as monarchy, as well as grieving for his mother. Beatrix is still around to grow old with her family, mentor her son and granddaughter.

I'm sure every monarch and their consort are "attentive" to their children as possible, but it's undoubtedly true that when a couple reach the top job they simply cannot be as present in their children's day to day lives as possible. From Charles in our own according to kornet, "3rd world" country, to Frederik in Denmark and Victoria in Sweden, they all have stated that they saw less of their parents than they would've liked to when they were growing up.

As regards Charles, I don't see why you see a short reign as any type of disappointment. History has shown that short reigns can be very effective and also very popular. Edward VII reigned very successfully for less than a decade, as did George VI for 16 years. Charles could conceivably reign for 20+ years.

If Charles had been King for the last 20 years, the UK would be very much the poorer. The constraints of the top job would've meant his charitable efforts would have had to be put aside, and William would not have been old enough or experienced enough to take it on.

More generally, I just don't understand this idea that monarchs can 'resign'. It just feels wrong to me. Will Princess Beatrix have to curtsey to her son and daughter-in-law now?

Last edited:
I actually like that Queen Beatrix really took an interest in grooming Willem & Maxima for the "Top Job" (As Diana used to call it). As I watched the British royals all these years, there seem to be a fear in the media of The Prince of Wales, Diana/Camilla, William & Catherine, etc stealing the spotlight from The Queen and whatever but it seems like Queen Beatrix really didn't pay attention to all that. She seemed to enjoy having her son and his beautiful wife accompany her on tons of official engagements and Royal Tours.

More information from RTL: Willem-Alexander and family will continue to live at Villa Eikenhorst for now. On a later date they will move to the palace. The Queen will move to Drakensteyn.

The prince of Orange will step down as member of the IOC.

Last edited:
More generally, I just don't understand this idea that monarchs can 'resign'. It just feels wrong to me. Will Princess Beatrix have to curtsey to her son and daughter-in-law now?

Some Monarchs, I think, view being King or Queen as a job, as they rightly should and know when to bow out. She may now to her son out of respect perhaps, I doubt she is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom