Queen Beatrix Announces Abdication: January 28, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are foreign royals attending this installation, is this going to be a big royal event or not?

There were some foreign royals at Beatrix installation....the Prince of Wales, the Prince and Princess of Liege (Albert & Paola) amongst them but it was not a huge turn out from the Gotha. The dress code was rather like when the Dutch monarch opens Parliament, not a tiara event except for the new Queen herself.

Oh wow, if that is correct then it's definitely going to be an abdication. I am quite unsure how I feel...I am excited but a bit unsure...

Is there a site where they will have english subtitles?

Didn't she abdicate on her birthday, April 30?
You're right. The headline was deceiving. But speculation is that Beatrix is going to abdicate on april 30 too. She will be the regent for exactly 33 years on this date.

And it was only this weekend that there was a news article dedicated to her and her upcoming birthday- saying that her popularity has been soaring the past decade.

Even here in Brazil the media are noticing about the possible abdication. For me it's a bittersweet feeling cos I think Queen Beatrix is a great monarch and it's seems too soon for WA becoming a king. I'm used to see much older monarchs nowadays, he seems too young to join the club.

Gosh, I also have mixed feelings..... she deserves going to retirement :flowers:.... and we have a young King and Queen, that is great as well....
Nevertheless it is a pity....
BYe Bine

BBC News is now saying that HM Queen Beatrix will announce her abdication tonight. I think I am in shock.

I think she's definitely abdicating. Sad to see her go, she seems lovely. Don't know much about her, but from what I've seen she's a lovely lady and a good Queen. She hasn't had a very nice year. Willem-Alexander and Maxima are delightful, at least.

Even here in Brazil the media are noticing about the possible abdication. For me it's a bittersweet feeling cos I think Queen Beatrix is a great monarch and it's seems too soon for WA becoming a king. I'm used to see much older monarchs nowadays, he seems too young to join the club.

Hihi, well, one of the young generation has to start :whistling:- at least we will get a truly GLITTERING Queen.... Looking forward to even grander tiaras for Queen Maxima - maybe even the Stuart at the coronation???
BYe Bine

It is bittersweet, but in a way I like that WA will be King at this age. I think about Charles and that more than likely he will be King for such a short time if at all.

BBC News is now saying that HM Queen Beatrix will announce her abdication tonight. I think I am in shock.

You always heard she will abdicate, but never thought it´s serious. But this is really a little shocker now.

I think there is something very nice about this tradition. She's abdicating as a vital, wise woman whom paved the way for her children and grandchildren. Making way for the young, so to speak.

But perhaps it's also the Dutch mentality. Our work is our work, not our life.

Very true too!!

This is the way it should happen IMO, look at Charles for instance. Beatrix will have time for her family, her growing grandchildren and can guide her son and granddaughter.

I really don´t know how should I feel.
But, hey, better a new king for an abdication than one for death ;)

Ireally like Beatrix, but after Friso accident I guess she was wishing for calm and a paceful retirement. I like W-A and Maxima too, I guess she doesn´t have to worry in that sense, they will make a good king and queen.

@royalmusing: Willem-Alexander's succession would mean Margriet's 2 sons still in line cease to be dynasts

WA and Maxima accompany Beatrice on so many overseas trips. I've always wondered why, but perhaps it's part of the "training?"

"Bitter sweet" is an excellent way to describe this ( if the prediction is correct). I hope that Willem/Maxima feel ready to take on this. But as previous posts have informed, it is a tradition, so I guess it is something they have known was likely to happen.

If this is abdication then definite mixed feelings - being from a country where the monarch is one for life i find the idea of abdicating strange. Beatrix to me seems such a great Queen and popular.

But im sure Willem and Maxima will be great monarchs as well - it will take time to get used to them by King and Queen when are the counterparts remain heirs. Hard to see them all having to bow or curtsey to WA and Maxima from now on.

Also think about Amaila being Princess of Orange then at such a young age and not at a stage to fulfil the duties required. There will be a gap in the house of Orange.

WA's will be a long reign and a long while before Amaila begins duties. It seems a shame that he teenage years she will be even more in spotlight as the heir

@royalmusing: Willem-Alexander's succession would mean Margriet's 2 sons still in line cease to be dynasts

Really is this true? I thought his daughters were the next in line.

It is sad if she abdicates, but she has done a wonderful job for close to 33 years as a Queen and everything she did before those years.

(Of course if they have made a desiscion about Friso or so it might also be a nice way to announce it like this. But I think this is not about him. At least I hope not.)

It is kind of sad because I kind of grew up with her as the Queen, but Willem-Alexander and Maxima will make a wonderful King and Queen of the Netherlands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom