Queen Beatrix Announces Abdication: January 28, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really think they will be going to Lech??? I can't imagine they would go there ever again. So many sad memories of Friso's accident. I wondered if the timing of this announcement was such that it would give them the chance to say they were too busy to go this year.
it was announced that there will be a photo oportunity in Lech. Madel and the girls will go to Lech too but they will not take part in the photosession.

i dont see the big fuss around WA and Maxima upcoming title as young monarchs while some are heirs and older than them. eventually some heir would be Monarch and join the "monarch club", someone had to be the first, i always said WA and Maxima will be the first following by Prince Phillippe and Princess Mathilde, im glad i was right, WA is ready and its always positive to bring the new generation and start everything fresh again.

i wonder what Maxima will wear, shes the glittering princess and soon glittering Queen, so i have high hopes on her ceremony wardrobe and acessories, i hope for something grand and majestic:p

I thought about that too when I saw the pretty dress Beatrix wore. I hope Maxima goes for anything in a blue tone, no red, pink or beige.

it was announced that there will be a photo oportunity in Lech. Madel and the girls will go to Lech too but they will not take part in the photosession.

i dont see the big fuss around WA and Maxima upcoming title as young monarchs while some are heirs and older than them. eventually some heir would be Monarch and join the "monarch club", someone had to be the first, i always said WA and Maxima will be the first following by Prince Phillippe and Princess Mathilde, im glad i was right, WA is ready and its always positive to bring the new generation and start everything fresh again.

i wonder what Maxima will wear, shes the glittering princess and soon glittering Queen, so i have high hopes on her ceremony wardrobe and acessories, i hope for something grand and majestic
:

Charles and Camilla will, of course, bow and curtsy to King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima. What on earth has age got to do with it?

Not much.

It's just a peculiar situation.
Prince Charles was heir before Queen Beatrix became Queen. And now Willem-Alexander will be king, while Chales is still an heir.
Beforehand they were equals, with Prince Charles having seniority in the fact that he is older, which in my perhaps oldfashioned mind merits some respect and also senior in the sense that Charles has been heir for a longer time.
It just struck me as a bit weird to think of.

The other CP couples are at least of roughly similar age.

I am deeply impressed by the information policy with the new FAQ of the abdication and inauguration! They are answered quick and very informative.

It would be pretty shocking if the royal house were not well prepared for this announcement. Unlike for us, it is not a surprise to them and has obviously been in the works for, I would think, several years at least. It's not like a death of a monarch that comes unexpectedly, all the major players will have known this was coming and would be seriously incompetent if they had not prepared appropriately.

When is the last time that Charles and Camilla spent any time with the Dutch royals? There was the sovereigns' dinner last year, but that's unlikely to happen again for a very long time. WA and Maxima attended William's wedding, but we didn't see any interaction between them and the British royals at all. I doubt we're going to see them all together very much at all so I don't think the curtseying will be an issue.

It would be pretty shocking if the royal house were not well prepared for this announcement. Unlike for us, it is not a surprise to them and has obviously been in the works for, I would think, several years at least. It's not like a death of a monarch that comes unexpectedly, all the major players will have known this was coming and would be seriously incompetent if they had not prepared appropriately.

When is the last time that Charles and Camilla spent any time with the Dutch royals? There was the sovereigns' dinner last year, but that's unlikely to happen again for a very long time. WA and Maxima attended William's wedding, but we didn't see any interaction between them and the British royals at all. I doubt we're going to see them all together very much at all so I don't think the curtseying will be an issue.

The prince of Wales attended the funeral of prince Claus and the wedding of the prince of Orange. I believe the funerals of Juliana and Bernhard were attended by the duke of Edinburgh. Willem-Alexander and Máxima did attend a small part of the wedding of William, and they attended a birthday party of the prince of Wales. The prince of Wales also attended the 60th birthday party of the Queen. The wedding of Charles & Camilla was attended by Constantijn and Laurentien.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first state visit of the King will be to the UK. Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany were all visited by HM fairly recently & it is the custom to visit neighbouring countries first.

Last edited:
It is possible that all the current major European CPs & CPss's will take their thrones before Charles & Camilla. Who knows what the future holds.

I say, if it's an undoubted king or queen, they should get a curtsey or bow from anyone who lives in a curtsey culture.

I'm proud of Beatrix for following her own desires and for giving W-A a chance to rule before he is elderly himself.

Last edited:
I think Queen Bea is just one class act. She seems to have a very close relationship to WA and Maxima so this will be wonderful for all!!!

I think HM will have lots of time to help Amalia learn about her new role and it would be nice if they did events together as PoO and mentor.

I can't imagine how school was for the girls today.

It is possible that all the current major European CPs & CPss's will take their thrones before Charles & Camilla. Who knows what the future holds.

I think at last Victoria will not become Queen before Charles becomes King. As the King has stated several times that he will not abdicate and the Bernadottes become usually very old so when he stays on until his death it could be around 2040 that Victoria becomes Queen.

I think at last Victoria will not become Queen before Charles becomes King. As the King has stated several times that he will not abdicate and the Bernadottes become usually very old so when he stays on until his death it could be around 2040 that Victoria becomes Queen.
Victoria probably wants to be able to enjoy a few good years being a mother and a Crown Princess first rather than the Queen.

I wonder if WA and Maxima knew last week that Queen Beatrix will abdicate?

Well, that would make Carl-Gustav 94, but will he be of sound mind? Who knows.

The prince of Wales attended the funeral of prince Claus and the wedding of the prince of Orange. I believe the funerals of Juliana and Bernhard were attended by the duke of Edinburgh. Willem-Alexander and Máxima did attend a small part of the wedding of William, and they attended a birthday party of the prince of Wales. The prince of Wales also attended the 60th birthday party of the Queen. The wedding of Charles & Camilla was attended by Constantijn and Laurentien.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first state visit of the King will be to the UK. Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany were all visited by HM fairly recently & it is the custom to visit neighbouring countries first.

Well I didn't know any of that! Thanks for the info, seems like Charles is closer to the Dutch than I thought.

I wonder if WA and Maxima knew last week that Queen Beatrix will abdicate?

Well I'm pretty sure they didn't find out yesterday.

Wow, this is a surprise! Even though it's been speculated about... I have to say I really like the way they do it in the Netherlands, I think Beatrix has done a fantastic job and can abdicate in good conscience.
This is really exciting, the first ones of our "crown princely gang" becoming king and queen :flowers: I hope we get to see some foreign royals at the inauguration! Too bad it's also Carl Gustaf's birthday, hopefully Victoria and Daniel will come nevertheless.

Well, that would make Carl-Gustav 94, but will he be of sound mind? Who knows.
Several members of the Bernadotte family have lived past their 90ieth birhtday, and there doesn't seem to be any hereditary diseases in the family that weakens the mind, there is no reason why Carl Gustaf shouldn't be of a sound mind if he lives into his 90ies.

Wow, this is a surprise! Even though it's been speculated about... I have to say I really like the way they do it in the Netherlands, I think Beatrix has done a fantastic job and can abdicate in good conscience.
This is really exciting, the first ones of our "crown princely gang" becoming king and queen :flowers: I hope we get to see some foreign royals at the inauguration! Too bad it's also Carl Gustaf's birthday, hopefully Victoria and Daniel will come nevertheless.

I find this exciting as well, and kudos to Queen Beatrix for her wonderful reign and class act in the manner of her abdication. I'm actually off on April 30 and will be able to watch any live coverage of what is tantamount to a coronation, but without all the bells and whistles. This is such an historic occasion and I'm glad to be witnessing it.

Last edited:
I find this exciting as well, and kudos to Queen Beatrix for her wonderful reign and class act in abdicating. I'm actually off on April 30 and will be able to watch any live coverage of what is tantamount to a coronation, but without all the bells and whistles. This is such an historic occasion and I'm glad to be witnessing it.

As of this moment, I am not off. When things become clearer with regards to what is happening that day, I may take the morning off.

I can't imagine how school was for the girls today.

I was thinking about that too.
I imangined the 3 A's having conversations with their class mates about what they had seen on TV the night before and them answering: We saw our grandmother announce her abdication and our mum&dad will be King&Queen in a few months :lol:

I'm really impressed by the open and fast communication on every subject by Het Koninklijk Huis

Last edited:
O.k. I dont understand. Why are Princess Margriet and her family no longer members of the royal house when this happens?

O.k. I dont understand. Why are Princess Margriet and her family no longer members of the royal house when this happens?
Princess Margriet will remain member of the Royal House, her sons Prince Maurits and Prince Bernhard (the only two who still hold succession rights) will, however, no longer be part of the House. That's because succession to the Dutch Throne is determines by proximity of blood, and the succession line is limited only to three degrees of kinship from the current Monarch.

Margriet still remains within those three degrees (as the future King's aunt) but her children are be related to Willem-Alexander by further than three degrees and will thus lose succession rights and cease to be members of the Royal House. For the same reason Maurits and Bernhard's children are not currently in the line of succession as they are within four degrees of kinship to the current Monarch, Queen Beatrix.

They will, of course, remain members of the Royal Family and will also retain all the styles and titles they currently have.
You can read a bit more about that here - Queen Beatrix’s Abdication: Changes and Traditions

Last edited:

Member of the Royal House and line of succession to the Dutch Throne are determined by equal primogeniture and proximity of blood to the monarch. Margriet's two sons who are still in line are 4 degrees of kinship away from WA, and the Dutch constitution lists you have to be 3 away.

I wonder why Maxima's parents will not be present? is a political move?

Thanks for the link Artemisia, very interesting indeed. Not being very familiar with how things are done in the netherlands I found your explanation to be quite helpful and informative indeed. As for the future, I think WA and Maxima will be wonderful monarchs. It is a new time and a new generation for the people. I wonder if the event will be televised. Hope so.

I remember once some people was with signs and complaining in the other side of the street about her father, was in her b-day or one of the christening? so it is clever from her part to be away in a situation like this. good for her. I wonder how long this was in the making?

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember once some people was with signs and complaining in the other side of the street about her father, was in her b-day or one of the christening? so it is clever from her part to be away in a situation like this. good for her. I wonder how long this was in the making?
The small-scale protests took place during Catharina-Amalia's christening which Mr. Zorreguieta attended.
I think it was wise of Maxima to take the initiative and inform the Prime Minister of her parents' absence, to avoid any new debates or controversy.

Thanks for the link Artemisia, very interesting indeed. Not being very familiar with how things are done in the netherlands I found your explanation to be quite helpful and informative indeed. As for the future, I think WA and Maxima will be wonderful monarchs. It is a new time and a new generation for the people. I wonder if the event will be televised. Hope so.
I am glad the link was helpful, Lady Gabrielle. I am pretty certain the Inauguration ceremony will indeed be televised and am really waiting forward to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom