Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus's State Visit to Indonesia: August 1995

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ropura

Aristocracy
City
Amsterdam
Country
Netherlands
Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus with their son Prince Willem Alexander visited Sultanate of Yogyakarta, August 25,1995
It is the second time that the Queen from Netherland officiel states Visited to Indonesia.
In 1970 Queen Juliana and Prince Berhnard visited Indonesia,after Independent
August 17,1945

-ropura-

Last edited:
Royal Family of Sultanate of YogYakarta welcome the Dutchs Royal With flower
Javanese Culture and tradition.

Photo By Rosiati Ismangil

Last edited:
Royal Palace soldiers waiting for the Dutch Royals

Photo by Rosiati Ismangil

Last edited:
thank you very much, I never saw these pictures before. I still remember the statevisit though, it was quite problematic before it started, but it went very well.
I remember the Queen wearing emeralds during the state banquet, very appropriate as we used to call Indonesia more poeticly, ´the girdle of emerald´.

Sri Sultan Hamengku Buwono X and Gusti Kanjeng Ratu Hemas welcome Queen Beatrix, Prince Claus and Prince Alexander at the Royal Palace Yogyakarta ("Kraton")
August 25,1995.

Queen Beatrix With Sultan H.B X and Prince Claus and Prince Willem Alexander with G.K.R.Hemas.

Photo by Rosiati Ismangil.

Last edited:
Prince Puger uncle of the Sultan H.B.X explain the H.M. Queen Beatrix about
tradition at Royal Palace Yogyakarta.

Last edited:
Prince Claus with Gusti Kanjeng Ratu Hemas.

Last edited:
Lovely pictures Ropura. Very colourful. Thanks:)

Looking at posts #5 & 6, the Queen & Prince Puger are so colour-coordinated, it's amazing!

H.M.Beatrix, Sultan H.B.X and Prince Puger walk at the Palace hall

Last edited:
Marengo said:
thank you very much, I never saw these pictures before. I still remember the statevisit though, it was quite problematic before it started, but it went very well.

What were some of the problems that were going on prior to the visit?

Indonesia was more than 350 years colonized by the Dutch. After independence day many Dutch people lost their houses in Indonesia. Some people did not agree that the Queen Beatrix visited Indonesia.

Last edited:
Sultan Family and Dutch Royals pose for journalist and cameras

Last edited:
Informal ? and walk to main entrance of Royal Palace,and the Sultan H.B.X and G.K.R.Hemas says farewell to the Dutch Royal Family.

Photo by Rosiati ismangil.

Last edited:
ropura said:
Indonesia was more than 350 years colonized by the Dutch. After independence day many Dutch people lost their houses in Indonesia. Some people did not agree that the Queen Beatrix visited Indonesia.

I see. Thank you Ropura.

And thanks again for your pictures. They are stunning!

Thanks for sharing these photos with us, ropura! It's amazing to think how things have changed for the royal family in the past ten years.

ropura said:

oh i see i didnt know that!

Sara Boyce

ropura said:

Correct, and add to that the problem of the indonesian independance & the 'politionele acties´ (war) which followed, the indonesians and the dutch recognise different dates and should the queen apologize or not? How can she evade making the veterans and the people who fled from the Dutch East Indies (many Indonesians) angry, human right isues, the Molluken etc etc. It was a bit of a minefield but she managed to get through. I believe that either the queen or the former prime minister said that this was the most difficult statevisit that they could remember (meaning the preperations, the state visit itself went well).

Marengo said:
Correct, and add to that the problem of the indonesian independance & the 'politionele acties´ (war) which followed, the indonesians and the dutch recognise different dates and should the queen apologize or not? How can she evade making the veterans and the people who fled from the Dutch East Indies (many Indonesians) angry, human right isues, the Molluken etc etc. It was a bit of a minefield but she managed to get through. I believe that either the queen or the former prime minister said that this was the most difficult statevisit that they could remember (meaning the preperations, the state visit itself went well).

Thank you once again for the information Marengo. Reading your post encouraged me to want to find out a little bit more about the situation. I had no idea that there was such a bitter war between Dutch & Indonesian forces right after WWII. (I guess it would be an understatement to say the 1940s was not a good decade for the Netherlands.)

What was the stated purpose of the Queen's visit? (I'm not naive, I realize that trade, commerce was probably high on the list). But was the visit also intended to sort of heal relations between the countries?

The purpose of the state visit was indeed what you already suspected. Trade and reconsiliation. Queen Juliana already visited the country in the 70-ties (something her mother never allowed her to do when she was still crownprincess), there were again (still?) some problems.

The war came to the dutch as a total surprise and caused a major shock, just after we were ravashed by the germans (and japanese) & trying to build up the kingdom. A much used term was 'Indie verloren, rampspoed geboren', which means something like '(The Diutch) Indie(s) lost, disaster born'. This explains a bit the bitter fight which followed. 'We' only left because of US intervention, they threatened to stop the Marshall aid to The Netherlands if they continued the war & had already recognised the indonesian gouverment.

I think that was pretty courageous of Juliana to visit Indonesia in 1971. She must have been rather aprehensive about the type of reception she would receive. But I guess her visit went well?

And for the rest of it, well, I still find it hard to believe that the Dutch government (& people), after enduring years of occupation, starvation, etc. during WWII, would have any appetite or resources ($) to engage themselves in another war ... Oh, the things our governments get us involved in!

Thanks Marengo (again) for the info.:)

August 21 1995 The Queen & Prince Claus visit a public cemetery in Mentang Pula, Jakarta. Many Dutch soldiers who lost their lives during WWII are buried here.

Photos: ANP/AAP

Attachments

• 1142181.jpg
    1142181.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 330
  • 1142241.jpg
    1142241.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 353
  • NETHERLANDS.jpg
    NETHERLANDS.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 371
An already long planned State Visit from Indonesia might go ahead in the near future as the EU
lifted the ban on Indonesia's national carrier Garuda.

Several Indonesian airlines got on the black list due to their lack of safety,but now,with new long haul Boeing 777 aircraft,the ban was lifted.

The President of Indonesia always refused to fly any other airline but Garuda.The State Visit might take place this coming winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom