Princess Beatrix, Current Events Part 2 (May 2020 - Present)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rossina

Former Moderator
City
Country
India
9.png

Welcome to Princess
Beatrix of The Netherlands' current events thread: Part 2

May 1, 2020

The previous thread can be found here.

Please take a look at the TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Is she the first of the 70+ (and/or 80+) year old royals doing an activity that requires interacting with the public (children and volunteers in this case) since the pandemic started?

Is she the first of the 70+ (and/or 80+) year old royals doing an activity that requires interacting with the public (children and volunteers in this case) since the pandemic started?

Yes ,she is. At the required distance ofcourse,but she enjoyed every instant of the visit,she was so happy!

Yes ,she is. At the required distance ofcourse,but she enjoyed every instant of the visit,she was so happy!

I think you are right, she looks so pleased to be there. Let us not forget, doing public engagements is the only life she has known. This enforced hiatus may not have been something she is keen on.

And Jantje Beton ("Johnnie Concrete") has been a project to Princess Beatrix' heart since the foundation 50 years ago. It was the time of urbanization, countless building sites popped up and the Princess made aware that children all over the Netherlands did need room to play, to discover, preferrably in green.

The logo of Jantje Beton was made by the Princess, including a bronze sculpture by her hand:

logo-jantje-beton-nieuw.png

Last edited:
There was a burglary in the Italian house of Princess Beatrix in Tavarnelle last weekend.
Neither the Princess nor the housekeeper where at the residence,Rocca di Dragoni.Two
burglars climbed over the wall as was seen on camera and forced a door open.

It was reported nothing worthwhile was stolen.....

Princess Beatrix viewed the opera "Elektra" during the Salzburg Festival in Austria yesterday, August 24:

** ppe gallery **

A biography of former party leader of Democrats 66, Hans van Mierlo, revealed that the then queen was not amused with him in the lead up to the first 'purple cabinet' (a government consisting of the VVD (conservative party), PvdA (labour party) and D'66 (progressive party) in the mid-90s. Much to her dismay van Mierlo was not willing to form a coalition government that included the CDA (Christian Democrats) and blamed him for stance (his refusal to form a government including PvdA, D'66 and CDA; which she thought was an unfair treatment of the CDA). See article in Dutch.

Interestingly, her daughter-in-law's father (and friend of Beatrix) Laurens Jan Brinkhorst was one of the D'66 ministers in the second 'purple cabinet'.

A biography of former party leader of Democrats 66, Hans van Mierlo, revealed that the then queen was not amused with him in the lead up to the first 'purple cabinet' (a government consisting of the VVD (conservative party), PvdA (labour party) and D'66 (progressive party) in the mid-90s. Much to her dismay van Mierlo was not willing to form a coalition government that included the CDA (Christian Democrats) and blamed him for stance (his refusal to form a government including PvdA, D'66 and CDA; which she thought was an unfair treatment of the CDA). See article in Dutch.

Interestingly, her daughter-in-law's father (and friend of Beatrix) Laurens Jan Brinkhorst was one of the D'66 ministers in the second 'purple cabinet'.

She,Beatrix,was right.Btw,van Mierlo died over a decade and more ago,wonder where this biography was hiding all these years...Except to put some weight on a weightless and redundant party...elections in two months!!...Oh what and what not they try and use to get attention...Especially this useless unpopular party,but that as an aside...trutwinkel...is the dutch word most fitting...Now,now lets wait till a biography of Hans van Mierlo and his b i-curious ways and adventures pops up,and see how family feels to have there family members dragged trough the mud...too bad!...He was popular in the late 60 s,but lost it,also as a foreign minister he lost it....Oh,and as to Laurens Jan Brinkhorst,he and his now wife,Laurentiens parents,were friends since the days at University Leiden with then Princess Beatrix,and,all opted for the hot patato

Last edited:
An interesting angle as up to now we were always told that Queen Beatrix was one of the people who was most enthusiastic about the first (Purple) cabinet without the Christian-Democrat party. Contrary to what is written in this book up to now the common view was that Queen Beatrix supposedly agreed with Lubbers and his [low] opinion of his successor Eelco Brinkman.

As the remarks are based on the diary of Van Mierlo one wonders if he has not been projecting his own fears on the Queen. If the remarks are true it is not terribly surprising. The CDA was the 2nd party of the country dispite their enormous loss so still an obvious choice. The Labour party and esp. the future Prime Minister Wim Kok also preferred to continue with the Christian Democrats but this was made impossible by the positions of van Mierlo and Bolkenstein, who wanted to do something new.

Last edited:
My dad once said that the Purple-One kabinet was revolutionairy, it was the first time EVER that the CDA wasn't part of a kabinet.

My dad once said that the Purple-One kabinet was revolutionairy, it was the first time EVER that the CDA wasn't part of a kabinet.

The Cabinets under the Prime Ministers Æneas baron Mackay, 10th Lord Reay of Reay, baronet of Nova Scotia (1888-1891), Prof. Dr. Abraham Kuyper (1901-1905) and Theodorus Heemskerk LL.M. (1908-1913) were of Christian-Democratic signature.

Since the Cabinet under the Prime Minister jonkheer Charles Ruys de Beerenbrouck LL.M. (1918) the Christian-Democrats were in all consecutive Governments until 1994.

In 1994 the CDA went from 54 (of the 150) seats to 34 seats, a massive loss of 20 seats. So I doubt the party was enthusiast to be part of a new Government indeed. The shock loss needed a period into opposition.

Last edited:
Princess Beatrix is back on duty! So great to see her!

As Patron she opened the national Outdoor Play Day of the National Youth Fund Jantje Beton in Baarn today, June 10:

** Pic 1 **
This classic prior Queen of Netherlands has always been my very favorite royal female. I find her just delightful and seems kind to all she meets. She also take time with her appearance which to me shows her respect for her position in life and for her country. In this American's heart, she will always be a true Queen. JMHO

Once Queen Beatrix became impressed by The Green Cathedral of the Dutch landscape artist Marinus Boezem. It is the floor plan of the Cathédrale Note-Dame de Reims, the place where the Kings of France were crowned.

From above (note the cut-out of the floor plan in the forest):
https://www.flevolandsgeheugen.nl/i...2d0bc720e72f7d03ca65aa44863c5e34306fed2d).jpg

The Queen was looking for a lasting gift to commemorate her Reign and the long history of the Orange-Nassaus with the Crown Domain. She ordered, from the same artist, bronze tree trunks to form the same floor plan, but hidden in the forests near Het Loo Palace. Because of the patina of these bronzes, one needs a sharp eye to detect the pattern and the rows of the bronze trunks. Queen Beatrix thought this would not disrupt the natural beauty of the Crown Domain.

Here are a few of those 1 metre high massive bronze tree trunks:
https://www.kroondomeinhetloo.nl/media/1084/kathedraal.jpg

One needs a good eye to see the floor plan, but the gold on top of the trunks will help:
https://www.inapeldoorn.nl/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/De-Kathedraal.jpg

It is a fabulous gift from Queen Beatrix to the Crown Domain. High quality, arch expensive but very discreet. It is a characterization of the former Queen herself.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Lovely picture.

Lovely photo in a most beautiful setting!

A very happy 83rd Birthday to HRH Pss Beatrix of Orange. What a lovely photo.

It's a very nice picture, but the fact that she has her purse hanging from her shoulder made me chuckle. Did they catch her while she was taking a tour? :)

I thought the same but then it seems the same piping is on the cuffs so maybe it is just a detail on the dress. Otherwise, you'd think if nothing else they could have hidden a handbag out of view.

I thought the same but then it seems the same piping is on the cuffs so maybe it is just a detail on the dress. Otherwise, you'd think if nothing else they could have hidden a handbag out of view.

Looking at it again, I think you're right! The stripe on the left looks like the strap of a handbag, and her cuff it hanging just like a small bag would. :)

Princess Beatrix operated on her left ear

"Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands underwent surgery on a cholesteatoma in her left ear today, 11 June 2021, at the Leiden University Medical Center. The operation was performed by Dr. E.F. Hensen and Dr A.G.L. van der May. Princess Beatrix is expected to be discharged from hospital tomorrow."

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/actue...prinses-beatrix-geopereerd-aan-haar-linkeroor

Seems not that common at her age:
Abnormal growth of the skin filled with air or fluid in the middle ear and temporal bone behind the ear drum. It may cause constant discharge, hearing loss, dizziness or headache.

Is condition treatable?
Treatable by a medical professional

Does diagnosis require lab test or imaging?
Requires lab test or imaging

Time taken for recovery
Can last several weeks or months

Condition Highlight
Common for ages 18-35

Hopefully she recovers quickly.

Wishing Princess Beatrix the very best .

Princess Beatrix will need to rest for a while; illness is no fun. I wish her a speedy and complete recovery.

Wishing Princess Beatrix the very best .

Back
Top Bottom