Princess Beatrix & Prince Claus - Picture Thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are welcome. ;)
Hope you like it. ^^ I love this picture. They are so lovely with each other.

Princess_Beatrix said:
You are welcome. ;)
Hope you like it. ^^ I love this picture. They are so lovely with each other.
Yeah! The picture is gorgeous! :)

Well done Princess Beatrix!!:) Thank you!

Hey, the kissing picture! That's great, Princess Beatrix! Thanks! :)
(I like the way Beatrix looks over Claus's shoulder :D)

Squidgy said:
Beatrix talked of having to rush the official announcement of the engagement due to the publication of some pictures - what pictures were these?
These are the pictures (I think they haven't been posted yet) ;)
(from Andere Tijden)

just look at Claus' shocked face :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Princess Beatrix. Nice pictures. The second one of the couple holding hands is touching.

I guess the paparazzi were chasing the royals around way back n the 60s.

I totally agree with you ;)

I'll post two more

Beeldbank
The happy couple in 1967

ANP
still in love in older ages ;)

Squidgy said:
I guess the paparazzi were chasing the royals around way back n the 60s.

Well, it actually was quite new over here, back then. I saw a documentary about these pics only recently.
They showed the editor of some Dutch paper (I don't quite recall which paper it was) to whom the pics were shown first, with the question if they could be published. The editor refused it, because it was just 'not done' in those times to publish that kind of pics. I don't quite recall which paper finally decided to publish them (I thought it was a British tabloid), but several Dutch papers refused to publish it (I think they were afraid of prince Bernhard, or something like that ;):p). So funny!

:D afraid of Prince Bernard? :D Funny thought.
I even heard that one newspaper-reporter found out the telephonenumber of Claus and called him after he saw the pictures the first time.
They called him and asked: "are you the boyfriend of Beatrix?" after he answered "Yes" they decided to put the photo in their newspaper ;) :D

Last edited:
I never heard that story, princess beatrix. But it took days for the press to find out who the guy on the pictures actually was, all european media was trying to identify him. And when they did all hell broke loose.

I don't think the media was afraid of Prince Bernhard only, but of the establishment in general. Maybe afraid is not even the right word for it, but they considered it as lack of respect to publish such things. The crisis about Greet Hofmans (faithhealer of Queen Juliana) in the 50's was also never published in the dutch press, but first in a British paper (leaked by Prince Bernhard), the german press followed but the dutch rpess remained silent, untill the goverment installed a comittee of 3 wise men to solve it.

Last edited:
I was joking about Bernhard! Didn't expect you guys to take me seriously! :)
I think it was just as Marengo said, the Dutch press thought it not appropriate to publish the pictures. Hard to imagine these days, isn't it? (I guess that tells us more about our own standards than about the standards in those days... :rolleyes: )

Marengo said:
The crisis about Greet Hofmans (faithhealer of Queen Juliana) in the 50's was also never published in the dutch press, but first in a British paper (leaked by Prince Bernhard), the german press followed but the dutch rpess remained silent, untill the goverment installed a comittee of 3 wise men to solve it.

Why would Prince Bernhard leak something private about his wife to the press?

Returning from Honeymoon '66
The looks are cute: There's much love in the air ;) :)

It seems their Honeymoon was great :D

Beeldbank

Alexandria said:
Why would Prince Bernhard leak something private about his wife to the press?

It is quite proven he leaked the information. Apparently because he thought Juliana's pascifist inclinations (which were encouraged by Greet Hofmans) were damaging for the country. He thought that this way the gouverment had to solve the situation instead of ignoring it.

After the crises was solved Greet was send away from court and some courtiers who supported Juliana as well. Juliana and Bernhard both started living in seperate wings of the palace and leading mostly seperate lives. According to some Bernhard was actually planning to get his wife locked up in the Ursula clinic in Wassenaar and made her declared unfit to rule. That way he could be regent untill his daughter Beatrix came of age.

A courtier later told in a televisionprogramme that in those days Juliana and Bernhard were so estranged from each other that Juliana was afraid to collect her husband from the airport, when he came back from an economic mission, as she feared he would ignore her completely in front of the camera (which he did not).

An important detail: it was Prince Bernhard himself who introduced Greet Hofmans to Juliana, as the couple was desperately seeking a way to cure their nearly blind daughter Marijke (now: Christina).

Marengo said:
It is quite proven he leaked the information. Apparently because he thought Juliana's pascifist inclinations (which were encouraged by Greet Hofmans) were damaging for the country. He thought that this way the gouverment had to solve the situation instead of ignoring it.

After the crises was solved Greet was send away from court and some courtiers who supported Juliana as well. Juliana and Bernhard both started living in seperate wings of the palace and leading mostly seperate lives. According to some Bernhard was actually planning to get his wife locked up in the Ursula clinic in Wassenaar and made her declared unfit to rule. That way he could be regent untill his daughter Beatrix came of age.

A courtier later told in a televisionprogramme that in those days Juliana and Bernhard were so estranged from each other that Juliana was afraid to collect her husband from the airport, when he came back from an economic mission, as she feared he would ignore her completely in front of the camera (which he did not).

An important detail: it was Prince Bernhard himself who introduced Greet Hofmans to Juliana, as the couple was desperately seeking a way to cure their nearly blind daughter Marijke (now: Christina).
Wow that's a heavy Story! :eek:
I knew that this gret hofman-story was quiet a scandal and that there were huge problems... but I didn't know that it was soo heavy!

(is there a discussion in the Royal Scandals Go Dutch thread? I think it belongs better to there ;) )

The loving couple. :) They were so lovely with each other. ;)

what a lovely look ;)
ANPfotoarchief

walking around in the garden
Beeldbank

boating in Amsterdam
Anpfotoarchief

all those pictures are so great! They were such a lovely couple. :)
I love the picture of Beatrix and Claus walking arm in arm :)

I want to add one :)
Trix and Claus made a boating tour through Amsterdam during their engagement time.
Very lovely. It seems she wants to embrace him. ;)
source: Beeldbank

Thanks Her Majesty! ;)
It's really good see pictures of Beatrix and Claus together, unfortunatelly he isn't between us today...:(

...JuAnItA... said:
Thanks Her Majesty! ;)
It's really good see pictures of Beatrix and Claus together, unfortunatelly he isn't between us today...:(
you're welcome, Juanita.
Yes, it's so true. :( It's very sad. They've been such a loving couple. It was so great to see how the Queen hold her husband's hand during the wedding of W-A and Máxima.

I once read in a magazine that during the time Claus had deep depressions (early 80's) he wanted to seperate from Beatrix, because he didn't want to hurt her and because he didn't want her to feel depressed just because of his problems... They must have had a hard time then...
I'm glad they passed this hard times all together. :) It was always lovely to see them both. They looked so in love , also in the late years.
(like the pic where Claus kisses the Hand of his wife):eek:

Her_Majesty said:
you're welcome, Juanita.
Yes, it's so true. :( It's very sad. They've been such a loving couple. It was so great to see how the Queen hold her husband's hand during the wedding of W-A and Máxima.

I once read in a magazine that during the time Claus had deep depressions (early 80's) he wanted to seperate from Beatrix, because he didn't want to hurt her and because he didn't want her to feel depressed just because of his problems... They must have had a hard time then...
I'm glad they passed this hard times all together. :) It was always lovely to see them both. They looked so in love , also in the late years.
(like the pic where Claus kisses the Hand of his wife):eek:
I didn't know he wanted to seperate from Beatrix!
But i have a doubt... why did he have depressions?? :confused:

He had deep depressions in the 80's, after Beatrix became Queen.
I don't know the exacte cause, but I think it was because he felt senceless next to his poweful and busy wife.
I think he didn't lose his depressions completely, but it turned a bit better (don't know exactely).

Her_Majesty said:
He had deep depressions in the 80's, after Beatrix became Queen.
I don't know the exacte cause, but I think it was because he felt senceless next to his poweful and busy wife.
I think he didn't lose his depressions completely, but it turned a bit better (don't know exactely).
Thank you, Her Majesty! ;) :)

Well it would have been hard for him because he probably felt 'not as good' as his wife and not as important, which was the case with Henrik of Denmark a while ago. It must be hard for the current husbands of Queens because their generation was when the men provided for the wife and family and the husband was looked up to. Of course, things now are different and couples are equal (if you're not married to a Queen), but for people in Henrik and Claus' time, it was all about the husband.

Last edited:
Like Prince Hendrik said (consort to Queen Wilhelmina): Ich bin nur das Gepack (I am only the luguage).

But I do not think Claus was troubled by playing the 2nd role, as he was quite modest and a true gentleman. He was troubled that he could not do something substantial once his wife became Queen. Before that he was an advisor of the minister of development aid (to the 3rd world), but he had to stop this due to some controversies risen. Once he stopped this he found it difficult to enjoy his new role, though later in life he seemed to enjoy it (and mock it at some points. I remember him opening the new ABN-AMRO headquaters where he said that cutting ribbons was his core business).
According to the Queen he was the best advisor she ever had and she consulted almost everything with her husband.

Marengo said:
According to the Queen he was the best advisor she ever had and she consulted almost everything with her husband.
Where did you see/read this?
Thanks in advice... ;)

She said so herself in her last television interview, given on the occassion of her silver jubilee. But she said something simular before, in a previous one, when Claus was still alive as well.

Back
Top Bottom