Dutch State Visit to Slovakia: May 21-23, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh... I am just not impressed with her clothing choices this trip. I erally did not like that dress, and I do not care for that hat from today. Oh well. She looks happy so that is what counts.

Her clothes are not to me very nice the hats are odd to say the least. And that tiara looked horrible.

I dont know what to make out of todays walk through the city, looked like she was already for spring, the skirt & top very colorful which was nice but the hat... the hat looked like she was wearing two hats, one on top of the other. Well, im suprised someone at that age wore something that bright, its worth experiminting sometimes but i guess its a matter of choice. good to see her enjoying her time.

Last edited:
Marengo said:
I wonder who on earth ever brought HM on the idea of wearing dresses with some extra draperies around them. She seems to be quite fond of them but they aren't very flattering, to say the least.
The red dress is at least 13 years old btw, it was worn at the state visit to Austria and to the pre-wedding ball of Infanta Elena and Don Jaime.
-
A surprise to see this tiara on HM, but I am glad she is wearing a tiara to begin with. It is the first time that she wears this version of the emerald tiara, luckily with the smaller drop pearls.

The draperies,HM has a string of simular dresses,started wearing them in the early nineties for reasons unclear to me.What i like in this silk dress is the indian (read India) print.Suppose she purchased the cloth during her first State Visit to India around that time with Prince Claus.The tiara in this fashion is not a favorite at this side of the line.

But I look forward to the State Visit to India this autumn,with Alexander and Máxima,so we no doubt have more to revell,but it's slightly O/T now..
:flowers:

Criticise is easy to do.
I also think that the red dress is not one of her best.
But for myself I like the black-yellow dress and also the hat, because with the flap, she doesn't need sunglasses. The only thing I'm wondering is, that she wears black at all, because it has nearly 30 degree at Bratislava.

Well, black and other dark colors deflect het, where as palecolors absorb them and make a person warmer. And in any case, she needs to stand out in a crowd, so her clothes should help her do that.

well anirac, I am terribly fond of my Queen even dispite (or maybe also because of) her peculiar wardrobe.

To Lucien: I thought she got rid of the dresses with draperies, but sadly they returned, already in Stockholm. Compared to that one this red version isn't to shocking.

This version of the tiara isn't one of my favourites either, but Queen Beatrix and jewelry has always been an uneasy relationship, so I have accepted that she will never really sparkle like her mother. At least her tiara doesn't disappear completely in her hairdo this time.

That dress she wore at the state banquet is quite an old one isn't it? I think she wore it to Jordan or France for a banquet in the late 80s early 90s. I could be wrong of course. Without the red sack it would be quite a nice frock. Love the tiara and as ever, Her Majesty lights the room with her smile.

Avalon said:
I don't know, I liked the dress. Had any other Royal Lady (with the exception of perhaps Princess Laurentien) wore anything like it, I don't think I would like it but Queen Beatrix can get away with anything - I thought she looked lovely.

As i recall i think that CP Mary wore a dress like that when we had a statevisit from GD Henri and GD Maria Teresa.

Last edited by a moderator:
H.M. Margrethe said:
As i recall i think that CP Mary wore a dress like that when we had a statevisit from GD Henri and GD Maria Teresa.

I haven't see that outfit, so I can express my opinion about it. I usually like Princess Mary's choice of outfits though.
This type of 'unorthodox' dresses is somewhat typical of Queen Beatrix, Princess Laurentien, Princess Mabel, and it shows their unique style and personality, that's why I don't mind those otherwise not-too-much-my-taste outfits. :)

A couple of more pictures of the Queen in Slovakia.
Queen Beatrix
Queen Beatrix with a city guide
Queen Beatrix receives a plaquette from mayor Durovski

Although the way she dresses is not my style. I do like it because she distinguishes herself! And I think that makes her the way she is.

HM this afternoon,visiting the Danubiana - Meulensteen Art Museum,founded by dutch entrepeneur Meulensteen,Consul of the Netherlands in Slovakia.

PPE Agency

courtesy PPE/v/d Werf.

The dutch newspapers have a quote of the president od Slovakia, who said: "What's the diffrence between protocol and terrorists? You can negotiate with terrorists.":lol:
Because he wanted to take Beatrix with him to a place in the High Tatra, where you have a wonderful view about Slovakia, Czechia and Poland.
Between I love the way she's dressed today.:flowers:

Thank you for quoting the article, anirac. Looks like the President had to learn quite a lot for the Queen's visit. :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

In addition to wonderful pictures posted by Lucien, here are a couple more from getty.
Queen Beatrix in the Art Museum
Queen Beatrix poses by a sculpture (you can see only its hand, but it suits with the Queen's hat very much) :lol:

And when I first saw this picture (especially the smaller version), I thought the sculpture is part of the Queen's hat. :ROFLMAO:

Well, maybe I am in the minority, but I did like the red dress Beatrix wore to the banquet (and the tiara). On the other hand, the black and green-patterned outfit for today is not one of my favourites. But I always think it must be very difficult for Queens and their designers to come up with something different all the time. Sometimes it works - and sometime it doesn't!

Empress said:
Now that hat I really like. Although, if you look closely it is very similar to other hats that she has worn often, as well as still looking a bit like a container.

Empress, you really have brought a smile to face. While I was reading your posts I couldn't help but smile about you comparing the hats to food containers. I guess I never really thought about it before but I see what you mean. :ROFLMAO:

I love how energetic Q. Beatrix is. She is definitely one of my faves.

The blue one of tonight is top. And her smile is so vibrant.

What a beautiful dress!! I love it!! The Queen has a "delicious" fashion style!

Queen Beatrix, accompanied by Kosice's mayor Frantisek Knapik greets locals during a walk in Kosice, east Slovakia, on 23 May 2007. The Queen of the Netherlands ends her three-day official visit to Slovakia om 23 May.

Pictures:
Queen Beatrix and Mayor Frantisek Knapik
Queen Beatrix and Mayor Frantisek Knapik 2

Slovak people must be impressed by the Queen's hats, though this one beats all the previous ones, imo. :D

Now that I quite like, although is it me or is the hat missing a brim?

I love the blue evenning dress, it is by far one of the nicest she has worn in a pretty long time. The outfit is exactly what I would wish for QB, a much more clean cut taylored wardrobe and not so many different colours (all bright and often highlighted by contrasting black). She is not the slimmest person (;) ) but her figure is not as bad as frocks with an extra layer of heavy fabric around her hips suggest. (the poster who already mentioned the blue frock she wore in Sweden was right to highlight this particular fashion disaster, at least the red dress didn't look like she forgot again to take off the car blanket)
Hats are pretty easy for her Majesty, I assume she has one or two and spraypaints them to match the outfit, stick a flower on it occasionally (or a noodle and call it maccaroni... Yankee doodle)
As well as jewels: when her maestro de coiffure invented her helmet he obviously forget to take into account, that occasionally she would have to wear tiaras:neutral:

Btw, someone mentioned that the brooch she wore at the first day was a present from her daughter-in-law. :question:
vavoom....

fee said:
Btw, someone mentioned that the brooch she wore at the first day was a present from her daughter-in-law. :question:
vavoom....

Wich daughter -in-law??

Princess Maxima :). But I frgot to say that it ws actually still unclear wether it is a gift of Maxima herself or a gift from the Zorreguietta family.

I agree with fee, this is one of her better gala outfits that HM has worn recently.

Marengo said:
Princess Maxima :). But I frgot to say that it ws actually still unclear wether it is a gift of Maxima herself or a gift from the Zorreguietta family.

I agree with fee, this is one of her better gala outfits that HM has worn recently.

From the Zorreguieta family is what I heard after I catched the first glimpse of the piece during the recent state visit to Turkey.

To Fee:
Alexandre de Paris was the maestro who "designed" HM hairdo,decades ago,indeed taken into account that she will wear a tiara on occasion.HM just seems to "hide" them,or at least wears them more to the back.That might have to do with the fact she suffers from
migraine a lot,thus wearing a heavy piece up front doesn't feel all that comfortable and provokes an attack.

One can never tell tho when she has migraine,as son Friso pointed out;"The worse the migraine,the bigger the smile",as she continues to work/visit not to disappoint anyone by not appearing.The only time during her Reign she really had to skip in her agenda was when she suddenly suffered seriously from meningitis two decades ago or so.
:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom