Dutch State Visit to Latvia: May 22-24, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hip, hip, HOORAY!!!! Thumbs up for Her Majesty!!! So far, I don't think she's put a foot wrong - I agree with whoever said only she can pull it off with a feather hat like that!! :p

Queen Beatrix have visited the Latvian Centre for Human Rights

from PPE

Attachments

• 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 250
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 293
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 337
  • 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 317
  • 25.JPG
    25.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 265
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
very nice colours! She indeed looks very happy. :)

new ones
from ANP

(There are also some more pictures of her nice light blue dress on www.beneluxpress.nl)

This Hat isn't new, is it?

Last edited:
The speech by HM The Queen, from www.koninklijkhuis.nl. In short, she praises the president and she encourages Latvia not to dispear now the EU diceded they have to wait to join the Euro, but to continue on the path they are going now. She also acknowledges the doubts western european states (The Netherlands) have about the new members.

Madam President,
It gives me great pleasure to visit your country and to be your guest this evening. Last year I had the privilege of welcoming you to the Netherlands. That this State visit to Latvia could take place so soon afterwards may be seen as clear evidence of the excellent relations between our two countries. I am delighted to now have the opportunity to see for myself the great changes that have taken place in your country in recent years.
Since Latvia regained its independence in nineteen ninety-one, it has resumed its rightful place within the European family. It has acceded to the European Union, the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation and the Council of Europe, and has thereby joined the European legal community and become part of the transatlantic security architecture. As a result of these events and others, it has undergone a radical process of transformation. Old certainties have made way for new challenges and opportunities. Your young, dynamic and highly educated population is proving fully capable of facing these challenges. The contribution made by your compatriots to the European Union and other international organisations is considerable and we indeed appreciate it very much.
In the midst of all these changes you face the weighty but essential task of protecting the weaker members of society and helping them through these sometimes difficult times. The consequences of the recent enlargement of the European Union have led to problems of transition, not only in your country. They have also caused a great deal of uncertainty amongst people in Western Europe. It is very important that we do not see the current situation as a threat, but as a development offering us new prospects and opportunities. The countries that have recently joined the Union have enriched Europe with a new vitality and knowledge that is of benefit to us all.
The way in which your country is responding to its membership shows once again that difficult circumstances bring out the best in the Latvians. They have demonstrated this before, after nineteen nineteen, when your country regained its independence. In those years between the Wars, Latvia was one of Europe’s economic leaders. Sadly, this period of freedom and prosperity was short-lived; it came to an end after twenty years with the Second World War.
The history of Latvia in the second half of the last century is both tragic and dramatic. As the end of the Second World War did not bring you the freedom and independence you hoped for, but marked the beginning of a new period of oppression. On more than one occasion you have stated emphatically that these facts may not be forgotten. The courageous and unambiguous way in which you have spoken on this matter deserves the respect of all.
The history of your country was tragic, but never without hope. The ideal of an independent Latvia always remained alive, even at the time when it seemed unlikely to be achieved soon. International developments at the end of the eighties changed the situation. The images of nineteen eighty-nine, when the Baltic peoples lent force to their longing for freedom by linking hands to form a human chain that stretched from Vilnius, via Riga, to Tallinn will remain for ever engraved in our memories. And thus as in nineteen nineteen, nineteen ninety-one became the year in which freedom was regained.
The bitter history of your country has left its mark, not only in people’s memories, but also in day-to-day reality. Latvia has a large minority with a language of its own. That is a situation which inevitably leads to certain tensions, as it does in other European countries, including the Netherlands. Though the origins of these issues may be different, the results are often comparable. These tensions must be faced and debate made possible. This is one of the most important areas in which our capitals, Riga and Amsterdam, are cooperating and sharing experiences. In addition, we maintain excellent contacts in other fields such as transport, archive systems and archaeological research.
In this way an old tradition is revived. Riga and Amsterdam were great commercial centres in the seventeenth century that turned their eyes to the outside world. Latvia and the Netherlands were trading nations, characterised by entrepreneurial spirit and creativity. As early as that century, we corresponded through a regular postal service between Riga and Amsterdam. But our relations were not confined to trade and transport; they also embraced cultural matters. The fact that the Latvian-born Mariss Jansons is now the conductor of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra in Amsterdam shows how close these cultural relations have once again become. It is also an appropriate illustration of the harmonious nature of the ties between our two countries. We hope to enjoy this very special artistic collaboration tomorrow with many of your compatriots.
Madam President, The influential and prestigious position you occupy on the world stage is proof both of your great personal qualities and of the respect your country enjoys. I should like to raise my glass and drink to your health, Madam President, to that of your husband, Professor Freibergs, to the good relations between our two nations and to a bright future for the Latvian people.

Her_Majesty said:
This Hat isn't new, is it?

I am not sure, I believe she wore the yellow one in Argentina recently.

Wow I really like the great outfit of the Queen Beatrix, I like the color and the tiara... She seems to be happier and great smiling, I love!

She is a wonderful Queen, I know the most of Dutch people love the Queen!

It's amazing because the King Albert II and the Queen Paola of Belgium already made a state visit there one month ago and the Queen Elizabeth II will be also there soon... !!! ;)

she looks very lovely and her evening outfits very nice i have agree with posts because HM Queen need pull of her feather hats but dont blame her she is Queen of the Netherlands

Her Majesty looked amazing lastnight. What a spectacular tiara and dress!! This is my favorite outfit look of her by far.

Some images from the concert tonight from PPE. Her Majesty looks very regal!

Attachments

• 06052316.jpg
    06052316.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 379
  • 06052317.jpg
    06052317.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 299
  • 06052318.jpg
    06052318.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 306
  • 06052319.jpg
    06052319.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 305
  • 06052320.jpg
    06052320.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 307
  • 06052321.jpg
    06052321.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 328
  • 06052322.jpg
    06052322.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 326
  • 06052323.jpg
    06052323.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 334
I don't normally like much of what she wears, but I really liked her blue gala dress and also the orange outfit. I agree she almost "has" to wear a large tiara because her hair is so big.

May 23, 2006
Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands during a book presentation about the relationship between Latvia and the Netherlands at Latvian State University in Riga. Queen Beatrix is on a three day visit to Latvia.

from NORMUNDS MEZINS/epa/Corbis

Queen Beatrix today, wearing a nice black hat and a red jacket
ANP

Wow! :eek: What's happened??? I think this is the best the Queen has looked in quite a while. I know it's not to everyone's taste but I think her style suits her (even her hair) and she has looked good on every occasion. Something tells me she HAS had a peek at this forum...;)

Oh, almost forgot - is it me, or is there a real radiance about her, as if she REALLY is enjoying this trip?

Well I believe the Queen and the President get along wonderfully, already at the visit of the president to The Netherlands last year. A televisionprogramme stated that the president received the Queen on the airport, which was something exceptional in her case.

Yes, with the exception of that hat on the first day....Her Majesty has looked FABULOUS on this trip.

She did look fabulous. I liked all of her hats - even the "dead bird" one!!:eek::D
More importantly, I liked the fact that she really seemed relaxed & to be enjoying herself. I think she represented her country wonderfully.

thanks for the information.
The picture is gorgeous!

purple platnum what do you have a nice picture of our queen, thanks

here are some more pictures of the happy queen yesterday :)

anp

May 24, 2006
Liepaja, Latvia
Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands during a visit to the Latvian Society House in Liepaja, Latvia. Queen Beatrix is on three day visit to Latvia.

photo by Normunds Mezins/epa/Corbis

The State Visit is over now, and I have to say that it was a fantastic one!
many great pictures, wonderful hats and beautiful Jewelry! :)
Thanks for all pictures!

Her Majesty looks so lovely of her outfits and more elegant but im really like her hats very much

Amber26 said:
Witch one do you mean?

Yes, that's the one! That photo reminded me of the first pic I'd seen some time ago and thought was rather striking. However, I thought she was smiling but obviously my memory fails me. You're on the ball! ;)

I read in the newspaper that the last visit of the Queen lasted half an hour longer then planned. When she rove away the Queen noticed a remembrance statue for the people who were lost at sea. The Queen decided to get outr of the car and lay her bouquet of flowers at the feet of the monument. The president was moved by this gesture as her father was lost in the sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom