Valdemar I den Store & Sophie of Novogrod

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
Name: Valdemar

English Name: Valdemar the Great

Birth: 1131

Child of: Knud Lavard & Ingeborg (daughter of Mstislav of Russia & Christine of Sweden)

Reign: 1157 -1182

Marriage: 1157 to Sophie of Novgorod

Children: Knud 6., Valdemar Sejr, 6 daughters (among them Ingeborg/Isambour married to French king Philippe II Augustus and Richiza married to Swedish king Erik Knutsson)

Death: 1182

Throne passed to: Knud 6.

Last edited:
Name: Sophie of Minsk/Novgorod

Birth: 1141

Child of:Volodar/Vladimir of Minsk/Novgorod and Richiza of Poland

Marriage: 1157 to Valdemar den Store. After his death, her oldest son had her married to Ludvig of Thüringen, but because of political problems between her son and the German-Roman emperor, she was rejected by her husband and sent back to Denmark.

Children: Knud 6., Valdemar Sejr, 6 daughters (among them Ingeborg/Isambour married to French king Philippe II Augustus and Richiza married to Swedish king Erik Knutsson)

Death: 1198

Notes:

Actually there is a julekalender(christmas show) in Denmark about a little girl who is finding letters from Valdemars daughter Margrete in some ruins.
Its very exiting. There is a link here but its in danish. Its called "Absalons hemmelighed" (the secret of Absalon(supposed founder of Copenhagen))

http://www.dr.dk/absalon/

Was it necessary that Valdemar I had to gain church approval for hereditary rule by his dynasty?

Was it necessary that Valdemar I had to gain church approval for hereditary rule by his dynasty?

Eeh, what do you mean?
Until 1660 all Danish kings were elected (really acknowledged) at the local councils all over the realm, and one of the first things they did when they got a son was to ensure he was acknowledged as the heir.
That ensured stability and prevented another pretender from making a claim. After all Valdemar I came to power after a civil war.

Back
Top Bottom