Thyra of Denmark (1853 - 1933)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beetlejuice

Commoner
City
Somewhere
Country
United States
What's the story on her sister, Thyra? I'd never heard of her until recently.

Thyra of Denmark (September 29, 1853 – February 26, 1933) was the youngest daughter of Christian IX of Denmark and Luise of Hesse-Kassel..

Thyra was the younger sister of Frederik VIII of Denmark, Alexandra, Queen consort of the United Kingdom, George I of Greece and Dagmar, Empress consort of Russia.

She was married to Ernst August of Hanover, 3rd Duke of Cumberland.

Sorry, I hope this gives an insight but I don’t have time to post more info now, post more later!:)

didn t she become pregnant before her marriage from a danish captain/colonel/? The child was adopted I believe...

Marengo said:
didn t she become pregnant before her marriage from a danish captain/colonel/? The child was adopted I believe...

Thyra (if that's who you're referring to!) married Prince Ernst August of Hanover on 22nd December, 1878.

They had 6 children:
Marie Louise of Hanover (born: 1879, died; 1948)
George William of Hanover (born: 1880, died: 1912)
Alexandra of Hanover (born: 1882, died: 1963)
Olga of Hanover (born: 1884, died: 1958)
Christian of Hanover (born: 1885, died: 1901)
Duke Ernest Augustus Hanover of Brunswick (born: 1887, died: 1953)

I just started reading about Thyra, so you may be right, I don't know.
:) :)

Marengo said:

Yes princess Thyra became pregnant with the royal guardsman and when he heard that he killed himself. She gave birth to her daughter in Greece and the daughter was adopted by a danish coupe. very tragic and when Thary was expecting her first child with Ernst August she constantly heard a child crying. that only happened till she gave birth to Marie Louise.

yes, it was also said in one part of serie dedicated to danish dynasty-with Queen Margrethe II, her sons and other offspring of King Christian IX

Some about Thyra http://www.geocities.com/jesusib/Thyra.html

This soldier was Vilhelm Frimann Marcher (1841-1872).

The daughter was Maria Katharina (Jensen) Jorgensen (8 November, 1841-1964).
Maria was adopted by Rasmus and Anne Marie Jorgensen from Odense shortly after birth and renamed Kate. She was married in 1902 with Frode Ployen-Holstein.
On Henri Van Oene's site is write that Maria was born in Schlos Glucksburg.

http://www.geocities.com/henrivanoene/gendenmark.html
http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=en;i=104246

Last edited:
magnik said:
This soldier was Vilhelm Frimann Marcher (1841-1872).

The daughter was Maria Katharina (Jensen) Jorgensen (8 November, 1841-1964).
Maria was adopted by Rasmus and Anne Marie Jorgensen from Odense shortly after birth and renamed Kate. She was married in 1902 with Frode Ployen-Holstein.
On Henri Van Oene's site is write that Maria was born in Schlos Glucksburg.

The daughter was born in Greece and adopted to a danish coulple. What later happened noone know. There have been many gues about it but again noone knows what happened to the little girl.

betina said:
The daughter was born in Greece and adopted to a danish coulple. What later happened noone know.
I know that she was born in Greece (it was mention on this programme - Monarcies or smth like that), but I only add what is wrote on Henri's page - be honest I don't know why it is wrote that she was born in Denmark...

Last edited:
thanks for the link. wow we just think we have scandals now! can u imagine in that day and time how awful it must have been for her. i'm glad she ended up with a happy ending.

bbb said:
thanks for the link. wow we just think we have scandals now! can u imagine in that day and time how awful it must have been for her. i'm glad she ended up with a happy ending.
Awful?! As for a mother it must be terrible and tragic to give back her new born child.
As betina wrote: when Thyra was expecting her first child with Ernst August she constantly heard a child crying. That only happened till she gave birth to Marie Louise.

So where is this part of the danish family? Does the current royal family have any if at all connection to that side? Very interesting.

Kelly said:
So where is this part of the danish family? Does the current royal family have any if at all connection to that side? Very interesting.
Thyra's great grandson, Ernst August of Hannover, attended Frederik and Mary's wedding, along with his spouse, Caroline of Monaco.

Another great grandson, Constantine of Greece, married Margrethe's sister Anne-Marie.

So, yes... there are connections. :flowers:

Thanks for that info! Although I was referring to the adopted child she gave away.

Does anyone know if Thyra's illegitimate daughter had offspring herself?

:previous:
No, she didn't have offspring
Kate Jorgensen* married Frode Ployen-Holstein in 1902 but the marriage was childless. She died in 1964.

* At birth, she was named Marie but after the Jorgensens adopted her, they renamed the baby Katerine.

No, she didn't have offspring
Kate Jorgensen* married Frode Ployen-Holstein in 1902 but the marriage was childless.

Please note that it has never been verified that the above mentioned lady
was Thyra's daughter. So noone knows for sure! Royal historians are familiar with the name but also add, that several adopted ladies born around 1872 claimed to be Thyra's child.

viv

Prince Valdemar

"Thyra was the younger sister of Frederik VIII of Denmark, Alexandra, Queen consort of the United Kingdom, George I of Greece and Dagmar, Empress consort of Russia."

Thyra had a younger brother; Prince Valdemar of Denmark. He was actually offered the Bulgarian Throne but he declined because Bulgaria and Greece were at the brink of war and since his brother was already King of Greece it was probably a wise decision. He was also mentioned in connection to the vacant throne of Norway, which was however offered to his nephew Prince Carl (son of Frederik VIII of Denmark)
In 1885 Prince Valdemar married Marie of Orléans. She was catholic so the married was made possible by special permission by His Holiness the Pope and it was agreed that their sons should be raised protestant and their daughters catholic. The couple had 5 children:
Aage, Count of Rosenborg
Prince Axel
Erik, Count of Rosenborg
Viggo, Count of Rosenborg
Margrethe, Princesse of Bourbon-Parma (she married René of Bourbon-Parma. Thet had one daughter; Anne, Queen of Romania)

Margrethe, Princesse of Bourbon-Parma (she married René of Bourbon-Parma. Thet had one daughter; Anne, Queen of Romania)
René and Margrethe also had three sons: Prince Jacques (1922-1964, who married to Danish Countess Birgitte Holstein-Ledreborg), Prince Michel (born in 1926, husband firstly of Yolande de Broglie-Revel and secondly and currently to Princess Maria Pia of Savoy) and Prince André (1928-2011).

There were rumors about Princess Thyra marrying a British prince, either Prince Alfred of Edinburgh or Prince Arthur of Connaught.
These rumors proved unfounded.

More precisely, the rumors were about a possible marriage between Thyra and Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, or Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught.
Prince Alfred of Edinburgh and Prince Arthur of Connaught were their namesake sons, and besides were far too young for marrying Princess Thyra.

Another candidate for marrying Thyra was King Willem III of the Netherlands, but he was rejected because he was too old (he was 36 years older than the Princess).

Thyra never met her illegitimate daughter?

Where can I read more information about this daughter of Princess Thyra?

There isn't much, because it's not well-documented. Or even treated like a historical certainty sometimes.

I first heard about this birth years ago in the excellent TV series on the Danish Royal Family, ‘A Royal Family’. Queen Daisy and others talk about it quite candidly there. I think a Danish author wrote about it first several years before though. It was quite a sad story because the putative father, a young Danish Army officer supposedly killed himself afterwards, following an interview with Thyra’s father.

Back
Top Bottom