The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 12-21-2021, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Being the fanciest princess in Europe.
https://www.the-eastern-window.com/r.../EWcc2-17.html

I don't know what her money was invested in, but it paid off in a stream of these endlessly elaborate dresses.
Wonderful photo and dated Copenhagen 1879.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
It's an interesting detail that she is showing off her shoe (or what do you call such footwear? Bootlette? In Danish it's a støvle, and a short and neat støvle for women is called a støvlette, hence bootlette.) or was that detail as sexy thing?
Well, goodness, it's her shoe, and not her ankle.

Probably just showing off that she has fancier stuff than you can dream of, head to toe, including nice shoes/ankle boots.

I know Lovisa took a lot of flack for her height and being a bit ungraceful, but I don't think a shorter woman could have pulled off all her Mandelbrot-like ruffles.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Here are two more dresses, Lovisa-style, and a mystery to me:

https://kgl-fotosamling.kongernessam...amling/r/37226 So this is pretty much confirmed Christian X, around age 2. (The hair tends to give it away.)

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/ne...?adppopup=true

I can't figure out who this slightly younger kid is. The Palace in Oslo says it's Haakon with a different date and "no source". I was inclined to believe them, until I saw most other places (Getty, the Glucksborg blog) have it as Christian. The detail on the boy's face in the first picture is not good enough for a solid match.

Any ideas? The fact that it's just Lovisa and son would seem to tilt it to Christian — why do this for the spare? (Just bias, but she also appears to have that 'delighted new mother look' rather than 'tired second child'.)
Old 10-28-2022, 11:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Crown prince Frederick, later Frederick VIII, of Denmark and his princess Louise of Sweden.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._og_Lovisa.jpg
Old 10-31-2022, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Can somebody do me the great kindness of refreshing my memory as from where to where Lovisa had her children "walking" every day? I saw the locations and distance written somewhere, and now I can't find it again.

All I know is it was quite far even for adults, and not even Ingeborg's vow after she got married never to walk anywhere again is helping me pin it down.