Queen Louise of Denmark (1817-1898)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
Queen Louise of Denmark, née Princess Luise Wilhelmine Friederike Caroline Auguste Julie of Hesse - Kassel.

Born: 7 September 1817 at Kassel, Germany.
Daughter of Prince William of Hesse and Princess Charlotte of Denmark.

Marriage: Amalienborg, 26 May 1842 to Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg

Children:
Frederick VIII of Denmark (June 3, 1843 - May 14, 1912).
Queen Alexandra of the United Kingdom, (December 1, 1844 - November 20, 1925).
King George I of Greece (Vilhelm) (December 24, 1845 - March 18, 1913)
Empress Maria Fedorovna (November 26, 1847 - October 13, 1928)
Princess Thyra of Denmark (September 29, 1853 - February 26, 1933).
Prince Valdemar of Denmark, (October 27, 1858 - January 14, 1939).

Became queen: 1863, after the death of Frederik VII.

Died in 1898 at Bernstorff Palace.
Interred in Roskilde Cathedral.

Trivia: Nicknamed the Mother-in-law of Europe after the favourable marriage matches she made for her children.

Last edited:
325mo2.jpg

Queen Louise.

324hq3.jpg

King Christian.

she was too ambitious but it was for good cause since it helped her family expand to most of europe royal houses . i hear that alexandra , dagmar, valdemar dislike everything german do any of you know why

:previous:
I believe they disliked Germany because of their war against Denmark over the territories of Schleswig, Holstein and Lauenberg.

I think Queen Louise was an amazing woman. The grandmother of Europe. :flowers:

:previous:
They are really beautiful pictures. Louise looks so young in the last one. :flowers:

What tiara does she wear here?

Certainly not one of her own! If I remember correctly it was borrowed for some costume ball in...... Saint Petersburg????? :)

Viv

The first Christmas seal was sold in Denmark in 1904 and had the likeness of Queen Louise.

I think the woman with the children is too young to be Queen Louise, grandmother. She may be her daughter in law Crown Princess Louise (who was a princess of Sweden) with some of the large family she had with the future King Frederik VIII of Denmark.

I agree that the older girl standing centre back has the look of one of the Wales princesses, but it's odd if she's paying a visit to Denmark that she was included in the family portrait and not any of her siblings. One of the other girls, in semi-profile has a nose like Louise of Sweden. The couple had eight children didn't they?

I think the woman with the children is too young to be Queen Louise, grandmother. She may be her daughter in law Crown Princess Louise (who was a princess of Sweden) with some of the large family she had with the future King Frederik VIII of Denmark.

I agree that the older girl standing centre back has the look of one of the Wales princesses, but it's odd if she's paying a visit to Denmark that she was included in the family portrait and not any of her siblings. One of the other girls, in semi-profile has a nose like Louise of Sweden. The couple had eight children didn't they?

I agree the woman couldn´t be Queen Louise. But she doesn´t look like Lovisa of Sweden, too, who was, to put it mildly, not very attractive....
The teenage girl standing could be Victoria of Wales who, in later life, was so much detested by her nephew David, Prince of Wales.
I guess the boy in the background is Prince Carl of Denmark, later Haakon of Norway?!
The boy reading might be the tsarevitch, later Nicolas II (though I don´t see a great resemblance thinking about photographs of the time) and the smaller lad looking his younger brother Michael?

Is there any clue to when that picture was painted? That might be useful and handy. If the boy reading is Nicholas then we are looking at a date of the portrait of perhaps around 1878 at the latest, as Nicholas was born in 1868. To be truthful the lady's hairstyle doesn't say 1878 to me but later in the 1880's. On the other hand Louise of Wales was born in 1867 and Victoria, her sister, in 1868. I've had another look at the girl and I do believe it's one of them, Victoria probably, not the youngest, Maud.

How old would you say that older girl in the portrait is, 14, 15? If it is one of the Wales girls in the portrait then we are again looking at a date of the early 1880's.

I think the boy in the background in the sailor suit certainly looks younger than this oldest girl. Haakon was born in 1872 and it may be him. I can't remember when Mischa (Grand Duke Michael) was born. Was it in the 1870's?

However the boy in the sailor suit reading in the foreground can't be Nicholas as we know he was the same age as Victoria Wales and this boy looks years younger. I can't see any resemblance to Nicholas either. I do think at least one or two of the children are Frederik and Luvisa's.

Last edited:
Is there any clue to when that picture was painted? That might be useful and handy. If the boy reading is Nicholas then we are looking at a date of the portrait of perhaps around 1880 at the latest, as Nicholas was born in 1868. To be truthful the lady's hairstyle doesn't say 1880 to me but later in the decade. On the other hand Louise of Wales was born in 1867 and Victoria, her sister, in 1868. I've had another look at the girl and I do believe it's one of them, not the youngest, Maud.

How old would you say that girl in the portrait is, 14, 15? If it is one of the Wales girls in the portrait then we are again looking at a date of the early 1880's.

Does the boy in the background look younger than the oldest girl to you? Haakon was born in 1872. I can't remember when Mischa (Grand Duke Michael) was born. Was it in the 1870's? I do think at least one or two of the children are Frederik and Luvisa's.

The description said it was from 1886.

Well, that´s what boys of the upper classes looked like at 14, so it could be Carl/ Haakon. Nicolai being 15/ 16 on this portrait seems a bit unrealistic. The boy on the painting looks more like a 11 or 12 years old.
GD Mischa was born in Dec 1878, so the smaller guy on the left would be fitting.

We urgently need some staunch danish RF experts!

Last edited:
Could someone help me identifying who these persons exactly are?!

http://www.danculture.dk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG_3228.jpg

Is this Queen Louise with her grandchildren? Later King Haakon in naval suit in the back? Princess Maud of Wales?
Who is the boy reading and the smaller one watching?

As mentioned by Lee-Z on the previous page, this painting is one used to make the 'Christian IX and Family' painting by Laurits Tuxen in the mid-1880s.

This website (European Royalty 1883) provides a list of who is who in the painting:

Children seated at table: Princess Marie of Greece, Princess Louise of Wales, Grand Duke George of Russia, Princess Maud of Wales, Grand Duchess Xenia of Russia, Princess Louise of Denmark. Standing behind table: Prince Carl of Denmark and Princess Victoria of Wales.

Louise's mother and siblings renounced their rights to the Danish throne. Louise renounced her rights to the throne to her husband Christian. Was it necessary that Louise renounced her rights to Christian?

Louise's mother and siblings renounced their rights to the Danish throne. Louise renounced her rights to the throne to her husband Christian. Was it necessary that Louise renounced her rights to Christian?

Yes, because she preceded him in the order of succession by the terms of the 1665 law of succession, which remained in force at the time.

Were Queen Louise and her Daughter Queen Alexandra 100 % deaf persons?

I've always understood their hearing was never 100% but deteriorated badly because that form of deafness was exacerbated by successive pregnancies. Ageing probably didn't help either.
The worse part about it for them was the fact that large ear trumpets were the only form of 'hearing aid' available throughout the 19th and early 20tb century.

Back
Top Bottom