Queen Ingrid (1910-2000)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden
1. Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Ingrid. www.ibl.se
2. 3. Princess Ingrid of Sweden; she is 18 here. www.polfoto.dk
4. Stockholms central. 25/1 1939. Princess Ingrid of Sweden. www.ibl.se

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 4,400
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,616
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 3,690
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 4,361
Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• DK_ingrid_515.jpg
    DK_ingrid_515.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 3,201
  • DK_ingrid_509.jpg
    DK_ingrid_509.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,513
  • DK_ingrid_525g.jpg
    DK_ingrid_525g.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,311
  • DK_ingrid_514.jpg
    DK_ingrid_514.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 3,523
  • DK_family_457b.jpg
    DK_family_457b.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 4,094
  • DK_family_457a.jpg
    DK_family_457a.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,395
------

I have tried to find some facts about her as a queen but with no luck to find it in englsih, can someone help me

http://hometown.aol.com

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 46,677
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,721
This is a wonderful picture, Josefine.

What was the occasion? It looks like it might've been one of Queen Ingrid's birthdays?

All the young princes look so handsome in their double breasted suits!

i do not know but my guess is as you say it was her birthday

but have you seen the kiss between ingrid and frederik

Attachments

• Ingrid-01.jpg
    Ingrid-01.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 5,314
  • Ingrid-02.jpg
    Ingrid-02.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 5,245
  • Ingrid-03.jpg
    Ingrid-03.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 5,264
  • Ingrid-04.jpg
    Ingrid-04.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 5,277
  • Ingrid-06.jpg
    Ingrid-06.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 5,259
There's a thread on Queen Ingrid's mother, Crown Princess Margaretha of Sweden (born Princess Margaret of Connaught), in the Swedish thread. Click here to get too it and read about her.

Josefine said:
I have tried to find some facts about her as a queen but with no luck to find it in englsih, can someone help me
from news.telegraph
HER MAJESTY QUEEN INGRID OF DENMARK, the widow of King Frederick IX, who has died aged 90, was the daughter of a King, the wife of a King, the aunt of a King and the mother of two Queens.

Her father was King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden, and her mother Princess Margaret of Connaught, daughter of Queen Victoria's third son Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught. She was the mother of Margrethe II, the present Queen of Denmark, and of Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes, the wife of King Constantine. She was also an aunt of the present King of Sweden, Carl XVI Gustaf.

Queen Ingrid was born Princess Ingrid Victoria Sofia Louise Margareta of Sweden on March 28, 1910, in Stockholm. Her father, then Crown Prince Gustaf and a captain in the Swedish army, did not become King until he was nearly 70, on the death of his 92-year-old father King Gustaf V in 1950.

Crown Prince Gustaf - an outstanding athlete, a well-respected archaeologist and an authority on Chinese ceramics - was a great-great-grandson of Napoleon's Marshal Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, the French lawyer's son who founded the Swedish Royal House of Bernadotte de Ponte Corvo.

Through her paternal grandmother Queen Victoria (of Sweden), the daughter of Friedrich, Grand Duke of Baden, Princess Ingrid was also descended from the Royal House of Vasa, which in the 16th and 17th centuries gave Sweden some of its greatest monarchs and military leaders.

Princess Ingrid's parents had met in Egypt, in the winter of 1904-05, and were married at Windsor Castle on July 15 1905. Their marriage marked the first union between the British and Swedish royal houses since 1406. They and the five children Princess Margaret bore - Princes Gustaf Adolf, Sigvard, Bertil and Carl Johan, and Princess Ingrid - lived in apartments in the Royal Palace in Stockholm, in a mansion at Ulriksdal, near the capital, and in a summer residence, Sofiero, at Skane, in southern Sweden.

They led, according to the Infanta Eulalia of Spain, "a peaceful and happy existence, wrapt up in each other, and devoted to their rapidly increasing family". Princess Ingrid had a kindly English nurse. Princess Margaret, known to intimates as Daisy, loved gardening and flowers. Whenever there was a royal procession in Sweden, loyal subjects would toss blooms into her passing carriage. On one occasion the carriage had to be stopped, as the infant Princess Ingrid had almost been smothered.

The Crown Princess died on May 1, 1920, when Ingrid was 10. The Crown Prince married, in 1923, his late wife's second cousin, Lady Louise Mountbatten, daughter of the 1st Marquess of Milford Haven. Lady Louise was a great-grand-daughter of Queen Victoria (of Great Britain and Ireland) and a niece of the last Tsarina of Russia, her mother's sister. Her brother Louis would become Viceroy of India and Earl Mountbatten of Burma.

Princess Ingrid was educated in Sweden, but along thoroughly English lines, mapped out in London by Queen Mary. Her attitudes and interests would be very much those of a British princess; in particular, she was keen on sport - riding, swimming, skating, skiing and lawn tennis.

She spent long periods of her youth in England, staying with her adoring grandfather Connaught at Clarence House in London, and in Surrey at Bagshot Park (the house now occupied by the Earl and Countess of Wessex). In 1919, Ingrid was a bridesmaid at the marriage, in Westminster Abbey, of her aunt Princess Patricia of Connaught to Commander (later Admiral) Alexander Ramsay - the first Royal wedding of a Princess to a commoner. In 1928 Princess Ingrid made her first appearance at Court in Stockholm, and came to England for her first London season; in 1931 she was a bridesmaid at the marriage of Lady May Cambridge to Captain Henry Abel Smith.

It was said in her family that Ingrid longed to be a Queen, and in 1933 she appeared in the title role of a play called A Queen for a Day, performed in Stockholm's town hall. So as to help her get under the skin of her part, she wore a dress and train which had belonged to the Empress Josephine (an ancestress of hers), and the Empress's diadem, necklace and earrings.

The British press noted that she was "one of the few eligible Protestant princesses in Europe - a typical Scandinavian beauty, tall and graceful, with blue-grey eyes and shingled golden hair". Moreover, in the early 1930s she was evidently interested when the idea was floated that she might make a suitable bride for her second cousin David, the Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII).

Rumours, in 1933, that she might become engaged to George V's youngest son Prince George, later to be the Duke of Kent, were firmly denied, and in 1934 Princess Ingrid was one of bridesmaids at his wedding to Princess Marina. In the event, Ingrid married, on May 24, 1935, Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark, eldest son of King Christian X, the third monarch of the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg branch of the house of Oldenburg. The marriage, which took place in the Storkyrkan church beside the Royal Palace in Stockholm, was attended by three Kings and more than 60 Princes and Princesses.

Until his marriage, the 6ft 6in tall Crown Prince had been a regular officer in the Danish navy; he had worked his way up from cadet to rear-admiral - and had collected a variety of tattoos on the way. He was also a good pianist, and a gifted amateur conductor, especially of the Royal Theatre Orchestra.

It had been planned that Crown Prince Frederick should marry his cousin Princess Olga of Greece, niece of King Constantine I; but, after the wedding had been twice postponed, the betrothal was broken off. (Princess Olga liked the Prince, but had been disconcerted when, during their courtship, he had unscrewed one of his teeth and placed it on the table between them.)

King Christian is said to have been a domestic tyrant, a stern and unbending figure whose two sons went in dread of him. But Princess Ingrid, used to dealing tactfully with stiff-necked old gentlemen at the Royal Court in Stockholm, stood up to her father-in-law and won his affection. This would prove an invaluable asset when, due to the King's incapacity during the Second World War, the Crown Prince found himself acting as Denmark's Regent.

The young couple's principal residence was a palace at Charlottelund, where a kennel was built for the Crown Princess's black Scottie dog Humpty. Their first child, Princess Margrethe - known, like her grandmother Margaret, as Daisy - was born in Copenhagen on April 16, 1940, one week after the German invasion of Denmark. Princess Ingrid wheeled the baby in her perambulator through the capital's streets, in symbolic defiance of the occupying forces.

Two more daughters followed during the Occupation years, Princess Benedicte (who later married the 6th Prince zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg) and Princess (now Queen) Anne-Marie. After education at home with British and French governesses, the princesses attended schools with other children.

King Christian X died on April 20, 1947, and the next day the Crown Prince was proclaimed King Frederick IX from the balcony of the Christiansborg Palace. When Queen Ingrid joined the King on the balcony, he kissed her publicly in front of the crowd, "with a touch", noted the British Ambassador, "which augurs well for the popularity of his reign".

The Danish royal family has a claim to be the oldest reigning in Europe, tracing its history back to Gorm the Old, who united the country and ruled as the first Danish king in the 10th century. Since 1849, though, Denmark has been a constitutional monarchy, and King Frederick, like his father, was content to confine his role to presiding over weekly meetings of the Council of State, and putting his signature to draft legislation and service appointments.

While the Amalienborg Palace remained the King and Queen's official residence, the Royal Family moved into Fredensborg Castle, which King Christian had occupied only for three or four weeks a year during the autumn shooting season, and which during the Occupation had stood empty. In the summer the family stayed at Grasten Palace in southern Jutland, and they had a modest hunting lodge where they liked to spend Christmas.

The King and Queen introduced a notably unstuffy style of monarchy. The King was a familiar figure bicycling around Copenghagen, and he and Queen Ingrid would visit art exhibitions, restaurants and the theatre, just as any of their subjects might do. They did, though, maintain the tradition of riding through the streets of Copenhagen in a glass coach on New Year's Day.

After King Frederick's death in 1972, Queen Ingrid continued to live at Fredensborg Castle, and to take part in the life, public as well as private, of the Danish royal family.

at the swedish forum in the prince vertil thread you will find a few photos of Ingrid as a child

Ingrid with Fred

one more photos of Ingrid and Fred

Attachments

• 29052005-13.jpg
    29052005-13.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 993
  • 29052005-1.jpg
    29052005-1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 3,341
  • 051019859zh.jpg
    051019859zh.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 3,522
Queen Ingrid of Denmark

Queen Ingrid is one of my favorite Queens, more so because Princess Benedikte is my favorite Royal of All. I would like to start a thread solely for her.

I know that her mother died when she was young. How many siblings did she have? Who did they marry? Also, was she close to her father? I believe that I read that she wasn't close to her stepmother.

I would appreciate any and all info on Queen Ingrid.

Queen Ingrid Picture thread.

Queen Ingrid had four brothers. Two older than her and two younger. Prince Gustav Adolf, Duke of Västerbotten (1906-1947) married Princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha
Prince Sigvard, Duke of Uppland, later Count Sigvard Bernadotte af Wisborg (1907-2002) married Erica Patzek, and lost his place in the succession.
Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland (1912-1997) married Lillian Davies (Princess Lillian)
Prince Carl Johan, Duke of Dalarna, later Count Carl Johan Bernadotte af Wisborg (1916-) married Elin Kerstin Margaretha Wijkmark and later married Gunilla Countess Wachtmeister af Johannishus

Thank you Liva for all these great photos. Prince Frederik was really close to his grandmother wasn't he. It shows in any photo he is with her. Their relationship actualy reminds me of that of Prince Charles POW and the Queen Mother. It really is nice to see. I wonder if the new little Prince will have that kind of relationship with Queen Margrethe? I do hope so.

Scott

Ingrid, Fredrick, Margarethe, Beneditke, Anne-Marie.
They really look like one happy family (:)

yes, i love seeing the old pictures of them together as a family, so lovely. Ingrid was a great Queen.

was it true that ingrid was upset when her father married Lady Louise Mountbatten.

UserDane said:
She was indeed. And as a child, the most beautiful little girl I think I have ever seen - it's almost surreal: http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs5/ingridsweden1910-67.jpg
I've seen that picture before and you could really think you were looking at a picture of a doll!
I've seen some old video footage of her with one of her grandchildren running up to her to hug her and I thought they were going to knock her down, shelooked kind of frail, (probably because of her size)but she caught him!:p

Aussie Princess said:
I've seen that picture before and you could really think you were looking at a picture of a doll!
I've seen some old video footage of her with one of her grandchildren running up to her to hug her and I thought they were going to knock her down, shelooked kind of frail, (probably because of her size)but she caught him!:p
LOL - I bet she did. I think queen Ingrid could do whatever she set her mind on doing :) There are lots of other really pretty pictures of Ingrid at the Worldroots link if you haven't already seen them.

foiegrass said:
was it true that ingrid was upset when her father married Lady Louise Mountbatten.

I do remember reading something on the order of this; that she always referred to Louise as her "Stepmother". I believe that their relationship was quite frosty. I don't know how it was between her brothers and Louise, but there was not any love lost between Louise and Ingrid. Actually, she always had photos and items of her mother's about her. I believe that she always felt the loss of her mother and that was why she was an extraordinary mother and wife and her daughters as well as their children are so close. She was an extraordinary woman and Queen, in my honest opinion.

michelleq said:
I do remember reading something on the order of this; that she always referred to Louise as her "Stepmother". I believe that their relationship was quite frosty. I don't know how it was between her brothers and Louise, but there was not any love lost between Louise and Ingrid. Actually, she always had photos and items of her mother's about her. I believe that she always felt the loss of her mother and that was why she was an extraordinary mother and wife and her daughters as well as their children are so close. She was an extraordinary woman and Queen, in my honest opinion.
and also she kept her mother's interest for gardening alive plus naming her daughter Margrethe, which is Danish for Margaret / Margaretha, with the nick name Daisy, as her mother.

i agree she was an extraordinary woman and Queen.

She is in the top 5 (if not #1) of my favorite Queens.

Was Queen Ingrid's marriage a love match ??

When did the Queen do her last official duty
and were she called queen or Dowager Queen?

In danish media she was only referred as Queen. I´ve never heard her being called dowager queen even though she actually was.

I don´t know her exact last official duty but as to my rememberance (sp?) she was active until almost the very last. Someone correct me if I´m wrong ;)

In danish media she was only referred as Queen. I´ve never heard her being called dowager queen even though she actually was.

I don´t know her exact last official duty but as to my rememberance (sp?) she was active until almost the very last. Someone correct me if I´m wrong ;)

She has been referred to as enkedronning Ingrid (Dowager Queen Ingrid) on occasions (as in this article on Frederik and Mary moving into her old home) - but Dronning Ingrid was the most frequent form.

Hmm... Enkedronning Ingrid and Dowager Queen Ingrid somehow sounds weird cause you´re not used to it

Queen Ingrid never held the title Dowager Queen but was styled Queen Ingrid for life. Meaning that during her daughters reign and while she was still alive Denmark oficially had two queens. Though only one Monarch.

This was the request of the young Monarch back in 1972 when her father had just died, that her mother not be dowager queen, but to be titled Queen Ingrid also in future.

:)

That was a sweet thing to do by Margarethe.

Back
Top Bottom