Queen Ingrid (1910-2000)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Absolutely! That was one of the things she was really praised for!

It would be slightly awkward if she had not learnt the language.

Hello!
I'm new at this, Have a question: How did Queen Ingrid helped Queen Silvia?
TNX :)

vanči;1145950 said:
Hello!
I'm new at this, Have a question: How did Queen Ingrid helped Queen Silvia?
TNX :)

What do you mean?

I read in a magazine that the Queen Ingrid helped Queen Silvia.
Probably referring to the advise of Queen Ingrid to Queen Silvia when she married King Carl Gustaf.
I have confusion in my mind, and tries arrange, because I do not believe in Croatian journals when it comes to royals.

Sorry because my English :)

Granted that I don't know the answer to your question, I can guess that it's rather likely that someone had helped the German commoner hostess Silvia Sommerlath to fit in with the Swedish Royal Court and her role as Queen of Sweden; and it is possible that aunt Ingrid (born Princess of Sweden and herself a Queen) helped her by becoming her mentor.

Granted that I don't know the answer to your question, I can guess that it's rather likely that someone had helped the German commoner hostess Silvia Sommerlath to fit in with the Swedish Royal Court and her role as Queen of Sweden; and it is possible that aunt Ingrid (born Princess of Sweden and herself a Queen) helped her by becoming her mentor.

I'd say that was a well educated guess MAfan. :flowers:

Your guess is correct, MAfan. :flowers: I've read in a couple places that Queen Ingrid was always very willing to give Silvia advice and other assistance when she first became Queen, since there were no high-ranking Swedish female royals to serve as a role model.

Of course, Carl Gustaf had four older sisters, who were all born princesses. But three of them had lost their royal status through "marrying down", so maybe they didn't count?

IIRC his sisters have been married for quiet a few years and non of them was ever educated to become a Queen, so it was only natural that Silvia would ask Ingrid for advice :) IMO that is :)

I think that Queen Ingrid always looked much older than her birthdate proofs.
On Facebook there is a photo of Phillipos´ baptism and though she was "only" 76 at that time she looks IMO at least ten years older. Same with the time of Anne-Marie´s wedding: It´s almost unbelieveable that such an "old looking" woman had a daughter with the age of 18. Don´t know but might it come from her having been a heavy smoker?

Don't forget than Queen Ingrid belonged to the generations of women for whom it was not an ideal to look young at 50! They we're not ashamed of their age, and did not try to turn back the clock as is offen the case today.

Yet Queen Ingrid was said to be conscious of her appearance; she was rather thin and was said never to each much. She also preferred vegetarian food if she had a choice, she never ate much meat.

Her hair do remained the same througout her life, it was not unlike that of Queen Elizabeth II and IMO it's rather hard on the face. That's how they prefer it; a "cast-iron" hair-do is also worn by Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.

Viv

I think Ingrid was an old soul. Losing her mother at such a young age greatly affected her...the only girl among brothers? Becoming a stand in mother....And then having to adjust to a stepmother...I am sure she felt some sadness.

And I have been trying to find a good English bio on the Queen...any suggestions?

Last edited:
I think Ingrid was an old soul. Losing her mother at such a young age greatly affected her...the only girl among brothers? Becoming a stand in mother....And then having to adjust to a stepmother...I am sure she felt some sadness.?

Her mother's death affected her greatly and she carried a torch for her through the rest of her life. As far as I know she never adjusted to her stepmother when young. Things alledgedly eased a bit after Ingrid moved to Denmark.

And I have been trying to find a good English bio on the Queen...any suggestions?

Zonk, I don't think that there is an English bio on Queen Ingrid; the interest simply isn't big enough in the Anglosaxon sphere.

I found this on QI, a summary written by a Norwegian historian. He seems to have captured the the life and personality of Queen Ingrid.

Trond Norén Isaksen: My latest article: The centennial of Queen Ingrid

viv

There is a book out on Queen Ingrid and it's written in Danish and English. One of the authors is Ted Rosvall and the reviews by people who have gotten have stated it's very good. It probably is available on Amazon or Ted Rosvall has his own website if you Google it and order directly. It is also available through Majesty Magazine's bookstore.:flowers:

Queen Ingrid was a marvelous person IMO. She was a good loving mother to her three daughters and a very dedicated grandmother . Also a person who always gave the impression she CARED for her family and others, this in a generation where royal women were more distant from their loved ones than it is today. She was always one of my favourite royals and |I think she was genuinely happy in her marriage and life.

She was a good loving mother to her three daughters and a very dedicated grandmother . Also a person who always gave the impression she CARED for her family and others, this in a generation where royal women were more distant from their loved ones than it is today.

Agreed - I always felt like she loved her 3 girls very much and cared about spending time with them both as children and as adults, which wasn't necessarily the norm for her generation. I think losing her mother at a young age was what made her value her family so much.

Those are some very beautiful pictures; well worth looking at and a beautiful gesture commemorating Queen Ingrid's life! There were a few favorites, and even a few that I hadn't seen before! Thanks a lot for posting this link, UserDane!

I cannot help but wonder, I know Scandinavian languages are close, but did Queen Ingrid ever learn to speak Danish like a native speaker of Danish?

Absolutely! That was one of the things she was really praised for!

Yes. As a child, I had no idea that she was oiginally from Sweden.

Isn't it through Queen Ingrid,that makes Queen Margarethe II and King Carl XVI gustaf first cousins? Do how does it go? His father was the brother of her mother?

Yes, Carl's father was Ingrid's brother.

Yeah, and I think he had just visited his sister in Denmark, when he ended up in the accident, that ended his life. :sad:

Yeah, and I think he had just visited his sister in Denmark, when he ended up in the accident, that ended his life. :sad:

If it makes any difference : Prince Gustaf Adolf was en route from the Netherlands to Stockholm when the plane crashed on take off after a stop in Copenhagen. The reason: While on the ground the aircraft rudder was routinely blocked with a device to prevent it from moving in the wind. Unfortunately they forgot to remove the block before take off leaving the aircraft unable to manoeuvre. Sad story.

Viv

I know. :sad: But I'm sure I've read somewhere, that he also had visited his sister during his short stay in Copenhagen.

queen ingrid was great. my grandmother has met her and they have talked. she said she was so kind and down to earth and also intelligent and very regal. she had class.

Are there any pictures of her wedding?It's very hard to find.

It´s great to have an opportunity to read and look at pictures of beloved Queen Ingrid. I´m sure that her Mother´s death at such a young age, increased her love as a mother and grandmother as well as a sense of how important family life is.

Back
Top Bottom